Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Service plan term: 3 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 250-$300|Change
Price:$39.95+ Free shipping

on May 29, 2012
I purchased a three year warranty on a laptop using the iphone application two years ago, I payed in full with paypal and took a picture of my receipt and sent it along. I then received an email indicating that my account everything was complete in the event that I needed to warranty my laptop. Two years later, when I need to have some minor things repaired there is no record of my receipt on file. Not a big deal because I kept my receipt and resubmitted it. I shipped off my computer as they requested and waited for a reply. A week and a half later I get an email from Debra Canter telling me I need to pay $250 to repair my computer with no explanation as to why. I called the squaretrade people and was informed that because of a crack on the screen bezel (cheap plastic thing that goes around the screen) my computer must have been dropped and my warranty does not cover accidental damage. The other issues were a battery that wasn't discharging correctly and a sticky key in the keyboard. So I cut my losses and told them to refund my money (approximately half of what I paid) and return my computer. Five days later I still had not received any tracking information so I called to find out if it had been shipped. It had not, I called the next day and was furnished with a tracking number and told that I would have my computer back in two days. They shipped it UPS ground and it was not due for six days, then it could not be delivered because they did not deign to properly copy my address. I will absolutely never give these people another cent.
1414 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2009
Before you buy this here: Note, the coverage offered here at the Amazon website is standard only. The Drop and Spill coverage is sold separately and on Amazon but it is expensive. Call the 1-877-warranty number and speak to a SquareTrade rep directly. I got both the 3 years standard coverage for my $799 laptop and the drop and spill coverage for a total (including tax) of $152. You will note, that most of the five stars is because the laptops were damaged by falls and spills and SquareTrade came through for them, so beware, the coverage offered here is only for normal hardware system failure. This is great coverage if you purchase it with drop and spill and get the deal that SquareTrade will make with you directly.
44 comments|130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2012
Do yourself a HUGE favor and forego this. IF you are buying a computer here or anywhere, such as I did, go to the mfg and buy THEIR extended warranty. There are so many fine print "cracks" to this "Square Trade" that I am fed up. It seems that every time I cantact these people, first it is a dance to get them to be responsive, then I am told that each warranty issue is taken from the price of your computer until you may have a warranty left, but no funds in it to use. So one debates even using this or just putting up with the problem. That makes no sense to me. If one has had that many issues with their computer, then they (the warranty people) SHOULD replace it. They SHOULD ALSO inform people how their so-called "warranty" REALLY works AHEAD OF TIME. Each time you have an issue and they need to honor the warranty, they tick off those charges and costs against the original cost of your computer, until you deplete them up to the cost, then - - like I said and as it was explained to me - - you stil have a warranty for the length of time you purchased, but no funds to use it, so (IMHO) your warranty is all but useless.

To me a warranty is a warranty and they do not deplete the costs until they eat up the amt of your product cost and then you are up a creek. I thought, "great, four years of coverage and no worries" -- not true!

PLEASE, PLEASE just call the mfg of your computer and get their extended warranty. Save the frustration and headaches, and be good to yourself and your computer. Protect yourself from (IMHO) this kind of chicanery, easy manipulation and, again - - in my opinion, masquerade of a supposedly helpful product. I admit, I was vulnerable to this and now I will try to dissuade anyone from being taken advantage of, such as I feel. We paid a lot of money for this, and I am tired of the dances, fights, fears and "negotiations" when I try to access my "warranty."

If only. . . . .
66 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 28, 2012
I generally research more that the average consumer. I was actually considering a computer through Amazon because of the SquareTrade waranty as this initially appeared to be a cost effective option versus the warranty I usually buy directly from the manufacturer.

I am on my laptop from 5 to 6 hours per day so, usually, just after 2 years they develop 'issues'.

It turns out that there are numerous acknowledgements at the RipOffReport.com on the failings of coverage with the SquareTrade warranty.

SquareTrade Coporate even responded to these comments and indicated maintenance, such as 'manufacturer's suggested maintenance', including having the fans professionally cleaned every year, was required maintenance for the warranty to be honored.

This is patently rediculous for the average computer owner in that it would require an outside service vendor at a high hourly rate to accomplish this on top of the expense of the warranty.

There is such a difference in the comments at Amazon and the RipOffReport.com that I question whether the comments on the SquareTrade waranty at Amazon are manufactured.

Despite being a rabid Amazon fan I have decided to get my warranty directly from HP as I have in the past. The door-to-door service covers everything and is amazingly fast. There have never been any exclusions. It is a more expensive warranty but the service work has exceeded my expectations on every issue.
11 comment|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2012
YES it was HASSLE FREE, but only for shipping part. Was given a shipping label and shipped my item out for repair.
They called me like 2 days after they got it, and I confirmed with the guy on phone that the item was received the day before they called me right.
He disagreed and asked me to hold on, then, he continued and said the technician has already looked at it.
They came out with a conclusion that I had dropped my item and caused the damage to the screen, but hey I did not even drop it!
What a joke and I waste 40 bucks for this. I was going to buy another warranty from them last week but I feel relieved that I did not.
33 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 2, 2012
Squaretrade claims they sent a check for me which never arrived. I called the first time and waited on hold and spoke with a representative for way too long. I waited almost three weeks for a check ,which on my second call i was told it was never even processed after I was assured it would be! So after five weeks of having put my claim in I still have not received a check. While I was on the phone earlier today they made no concessions to fix my dilemma only telling me that I would have to wait another five days for processing and then an additional ten days to ship! When I told them how disappointed I was and spoke with a manager he suggested I go out of my way to make a PayPal account which is very insulting after all the inconvenience. In the end the manager had to ask to call me back in an hour. So I am definitely very disappointed that they could not rush me a check or even make me feel like a valued customer. Apple has now come out with a warranty that rivals this so called "convenient" warranty. What Squaretrade doesn't tell you is that you have to do all the foot work yourself, acquiring the phone through apple, having to go to the ups store and spending ALOT of time on the phone. So really don't even waste your time, keep it in house and use apple at least they know how to do business.
22 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2011
The DVD drive in the SquareTrade warranted computer fried and locked up the machine. As I needed to use the computer, I disconnected the old one and purchased a new one while filing a claim. Because of this the claim was turned down. I have the old drive that I could have sent them had they requested it, but they simply turned down the claim. I canceled this policy and all others with SquareTrade. Look elsewhere for extended warranties. You get what you pay for.

Update:
After writing this and multiple other reviews around the net (e.g. epinions), I was informed that the person handling my claim was no longer with them. They accepted my dead DVD drive, made good, and reimbursed me. I still have zero policies with them.
55 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2013
My laptop has been in repair for a month and counting. Every time I call they tell me they will find out what is going on with my repair and call me back. Squaretrade has not ever called me back and my laptop is still being repaired. A new motherboard took three weeks to get there and now I am being told that it won't pass their testing process that takes 2-4 days to run. I am normally a huge fan of repair plans but Squaretrade has just been giving me the run around and I would not recommend them.
on January 21, 2015
About a year ago, I purchased a used laptop off of ebay (so that was my first mistake), and, seeing the good reviews, I bought a squaretrade warranty to go along with it. Please, please, please, dear friend: don't buy a warranty from squaretrade.

Two or three months after I bought the laptop, it started crashing. It was a problem I've had with other machines (the screen wasn't posting) and I was about 90% sure that the video card needed replaced. So I filed a claim with squaretrade. Follow along with me:

1) First, they told me I needed to return it to the seller, despite the fact that it had been three months and that returning it would defeat the purpose of a warranty.
2) By way of an indignant email, I convinced them to fix the thing. I mailed it in (no problems there) and received it two weeks later: they had replaced the hard drive.
3) The problem was not the hard drive, though, it was the video card. So it keeps crashing. I send it in again, and they replace the hard drive again.
4) The computer keeps crashing. "I'm pretty sure it's the video card," I tell them. I send it in. They replace the hard drive.
5) The computer... (wait for it)... keeps crashing! They ask me to send it in again, presumably to replace the hard drive. I refuse, and demand a refund.
6) They send me a check for $70. The warranty was for $500.

So at this point they haven't even refunded me the cost of their crappy warranty. I just spent 35 minutes on hold with their call center in India trying to sort things out... do you think that worked? Hah! No!

EDIT (3 days later): I have received an email informing me that all repairs were deducted from the value of the warranty, leaving me with $70. So at this point they have my computer and my money, and I have three worthless hard drives.

Do. Not. Buy. A warranty. From Squaretrade.
on January 23, 2015
The HP computer saga continues.
After spending money on a warranty with Staples, they told me to call their warranty service. After jumping through hoops in getting the proper name for the warranty which was under Debbie's name. So, after Staples spent two days diagnosing the problem they told me 4 out of 6 USB ports were not working. They also said that if they can't fix it they will have a repair service come to my house and repair the problem. Sounded great, I thought! I called them and they wanted me to uninstall my Windows 8 and reinstall it. Say what? Isn't three times enough? How many more before it works? Then it takes time and money to reinstall. I told them absolutely not! I called another tech and the lady called me back saying that the parts were ordered and whenI get them to call to set up a time for them to come over and fix it. Great, I thought. Well, I got the parts and called them to let them know they have arrived. The guy said (are you ready for this??) that the repair order has been cancelled and I should return the parts. They preferred to give me back my 500.00 than to fix it it!! Say WHAT??? How is it possible that the repair is more than the computer? I have already invested time, 400.00 in extended warranties, etcetera. What a bunch of jokers! They probably want to refurbish it and resell it probably enough to buy a latte and bring misery into my life! Biggest Scam I have ever seen! It's called Square Trade and they are nothing but a fraud in my opinion!