Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on December 17, 2009
We purchased a squaretrade warranty for a portable DVD player and unfortunately got a lemon of a product.
This was our story...
We used the player once and got a disc error message, since it was still under the factory warranty we paid to send it back to the manufacturers, got it back a month later only to find out the screen has gone out when it was being fixed/shipped. When we called the company back they would not cover it since it was now out of the warranty period, plus they did not cover screens.

So we figured we would put a claim in with Squaretrade fully expecting to get the same run around. However we were pleasantly surprised. We filed our claim, they sent us the shipping label, we got a conformation three days later that it had arrived and that we would receive a full reimbursement of the purchase price within a few days.

I couldn't believe how simple and painless it was and at a competitive price. We will be doing business with squaretrade again.
on May 5, 2009
I have used Squaretrade multiple times for warranties and once for a claim. It was the most professional and wonderful experience I have ever had with warranties. If you are looking for a great warranty with a company that backs up their promises, go with Squaretrade!
on December 14, 2010
I just cancelled the two Square Trade warranties I had bought from Amazon for my new TV and Blu-Ray player.

I was supposedly buying 3-year extended warranties from SquareTrade. Wrong! It turns out:
a. Their warranty starts as soon as purchased, whether you have registered or even received the covered item yet.
b. Their warranty does not cover the item for the first 60 days of ownership.
c. Their warranty coverage during the initial 1-year period of the manufacturer's warranty consists wholly of recommending you call the manufacturer's warranty service.

So,instead of receiving 3 years of coverage beyond the the initial 1-year period of the manufacturer's warranty I would receive less than 22 months extended coverage.

Careful study of Square Trade review shows a suspicious similarity in the rave reviews. I now believe them to be false. For example. their customer service representatives do, in fact, speak good English as noted in several reviews. I phoned. Good foreign English!

And, the manufacturers will sell me real 24 month warranty extensions for less.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2010
I purchased a used Xbox and thank goodness added a 2 year SquareTrade warranty for around $12. Like all Xbox's, this one was junk and got the same ring of death that I've read many others have gotten. I first sent it to Microsoft and they said they would fix it for $99, which is all I paid for it in the first place. I decided it wasn't worth it so I decided to make use of the SquareTrade warranty. I sent the Xbox to SquareTrade and in less than 2 weeks my money was refunded- no hassles at all.
on December 1, 2009
Well, so I bought a Pioneer Premier car MP3/CD player. About a week after the 2 year manufacturer's warranty was up, wouldn't you know it, I started to have issues...first the face illumination lights wouldn't work. Than a month later the CD wouldn't eject. I'm glad I got a SquareTrade 3 year warranty! At the time I purchased the Pioneer, SquareTrade sent a message asking if I wanted a 3 year warranty for the stereo. It was a promotion and it was a measly $9.00 on my $150 stereo, so I said sure. Usually their warranties are about 15% of the piece of the item, FYI.
Anyway, when I decided to file a claim it took 16 days start to finish. Filed my claim, sent my item in(which they fully paid and didn't deduct from my claim amount; don't know how common that is...)which they approved and gave me a full refund through Paypal. Very hassle free. I really recommend their services for laptops, car CD players & car amps: products which are know to have to deal with vibration and extreme heat on a routine basis.
on May 7, 2012
I purchased a lamp for my HDTV on Amazon (which was covered by my HDTV extended warranty until I forgot to renew it) and was given an option to purchase a Squaretrade warranty for the lamp, so I did. Once it failed, I called Squaretrade and was told that the item I purchased was ineligible for coverage and that they could not approve the claim, then they refunded back my $14.99. A Squaretrade Warranty might be cheaper than the one the manufacturer offers, but you have no guarantee of actual coverage with Squaretrade above what you actually paid for the warranty until you try and file a claim and see what happens.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 2, 2009
Everything that I bought on Ebay and refurbished has squaretrade warranties.
So far I had to make two claims and had no problem at all.
Just great!
on February 8, 2012
I've been a SquareTrade customer since February 2009. The first warranty was for a Dell Latitude notebook computer that I bought on eBay for $350. The notebook's MB went out after only 5 months of use. I called SquareTrade, described the issue, they asked me if I had tried reinstalling the OS just to make sure (I had already tried this), I told them yes. It constantly BSOD'd after a couple of minutes of use.

The SquareTrade rep was very professional & treated me as a person, not a file/case number. I was told, that based upon what information that I provided, I would get a refund, once the item was received & inspected (within 5 business days max). The rep emailed me a shipping label (at no cost to me), I shipped it to them (only took 2 days for them to receive it), after 2 more days, I got a call telling me that my claim had been processed & asked me where I wanted my refund sent. Being that I bought it using PayPal, I had them send it there. This was around 1PM on a Friday. I checked my PayPal account around 6PM & the $350 was there for my use.

I received the same treatment with 2 other notebook computers that I bought on eBay, full refunds in the amounts of $175 & $400. Currently, I still have 5 other warranties (all 3 year ones, being that they were new products).

If one buys any kind of computer, you cannot afford to go without a warranty. Especially if it is a refurb. For those, you get a max of 2 years of protection, with the 2nd year at 50% off. New ones, they give 3 years. Another thing to consider, if the computer is still covered by the OEM warranty, the customer is still usually responsible for shipping. SquareTrade picks up the tab here as a convenience to you, saving you up to $50 (or more). They email you a shipping label to return it to the OEM.

As a final note, SquareTrade sends their customers offers from time to time for discounts ranging from 20% to 35% off of future purchases. You cannot lose with SquareTrade. Stay away from OEM & other warranty offers from retailers (& etailers), they oftentimes send the customer a refurb of the same or better model, and after so many days, if there's no problems, they've fulfilled their end of the bargain (1 replacement). Many etailers offers cheaper "replacement" protection, stay away & go with SquareTrade, where you get cash back to go towards a new replacement, not a piece of junk that another customer no longer wanted, that's at least 2 generations old.

on July 26, 2010
Bought a SquareTrade warranty for my daughter's MP3 player, just in case...and I am glad that I did. The device failed about a year after purchase. Submitted claim to SquareTrade, and purcahse price was deposited into my PayPal account in just a few days. The only way this could have been better was if they had offered to repair/replace the unit, because now I have to shop for a replacement. Not a huge copmplaint though, getting the money back is way better than having no recourse at all.
on October 12, 2010
I purchased this because I have been having very bad luck with my electronics breaking lately. So of course 5 months after I bought my Sony boombox Sony told me that they would cover parts but not labor, horrible. So I filed a claim with Squaretrade. Initially they did tell me to call the manufacturer but once I explained that I had and they weren't going to help me Squaretrade stepped up and sent me a shipping label and processed my claim super fast. My only real complaint is that they are not open on the weekends! I would definitely recommend buying this protection.