Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on bgg

Service plan term: 3 YearsService plan covered value: $ 600-$700Change
Price:$38.12+ Free shipping

on April 4, 2013
My 58 inch Samsung plasma TV began showing signs of a bad panel a few months back. I knew I had a protection plan with squaretrade for a maximum replacement value for the TV of $2499. So I called to have the set looked at by a service center that squaretrade picked. After an exam of the TV panel they concluded that the TV was totalled and a replacement or a refund would be issued.
This is where the fun starts. I was told that the exact TV was NOT available and a similar TV would cost $900 (I owned a smart tv... 3D... internet access... top of the line samsung. The replacement was a budget tv squaretrade was offering).
Very long story short... squaretrade lied about the exact TV not being available in the exact same store (amazon). It not only was in stock... there were 12 sets waiting for delivery using my prime memebership. Its replacement price was $2699 but I just wanted what I was covered for... $2499. Squaretrade offered and sent out a check for $2000... $499 less than coverage. The only reason I gave squaretrade a rating is cause you cant give zero stars... They lied.
on June 18, 2012
This is not a real extended warranty. They only cover you up to the amount you paid including all the potential service calls. So if you have several service calls you may end up using up all your warranty and still have no TV. If you are lucky and the TV is not repairable on the first try you will get your money back. If you get a repair then you only entitled to what is left after the repair. So for example for $500 TV after a $200 service call you will be left with a maximum of $300 for all future repair or replacements. It maybe cheaper, but you get what you paid for.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2010
I purchased a Square Trade Warranty for a flat panel TV that I purchased online when the unit failed after 4 months I contacted Square Trade, they asked for a receipt of purchase which I provided.

They then instructed me to have the unit repaired by a certified technician of my choosing and email them a copy of the bill which I did. Two days later they transferred the funds to my paypal account just like they had advertised.

Overall I rate their performance as excellent.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2014
I purchased this warranty because of the terrible reputation Samsung has for installing cheap parts in their HDTV's. Sure enough, barely one year after my purchase of a 60 inch Samsung HDTV it stopped working. I immediately filed a claim with Square Trade since I had purchased their 5 year warranty protection. Well, it has now been over 8 WEEKS since I filed my claim and my television is STILL NOT FIXED. I keep getting the run around that there are no technicians in my town who want to do in home repairs. Not my problem! Twice they have mailed parts to my home, after which I have to contact Square Trade and tell them the parts have arrived and to send a technician. It has been totally fruitless. The TV is still not fixed and all I get from Square Trade is apologies while I am left with no TV for 8 WEEKS.

Beware of purchasing this warranty. Here's the way it works. You contact them and describe the problem with your TV. They send parts to your home based on what they THINK may be wrong with your TV. Then you call them back telling them parts have arrived. Then they contact a contracted serviceman in your area who calls you to make an appointment to come to your home and install the parts. If the repair fails he takes the old parts back to his shop and contacts Square Trade to advise them the repair failed. This can take several days. Then Square Trade sends more parts to your house ( without advising you that the parts are being sent ). When parts arrive again, you once again call Square Trade to tell them parts have arrived and they again contact a contracted serviceman in your area to come to do the install. If this fails again, the serviceman takes the parts and contacts Square Trade to advise them the install has failed again.

I am EIGHT WEEKS into this fiasco without a fair resolution to my repair claim. I will NEVER do business with Square Trade again. You can make your own decision, but be forewarned of their repair policy. Don't think someone comes to your home and works on your TV until it is fixed. They replace boards only. Not the service you expect.

Sorry for the one star rating - It should have been ZERO, but that is not an option. STAY AWAY FROM SQUARE TRADE!!
on May 4, 2011
Its a three year warranty that is really only a two year warranty. The warranty does not cover your T.V. for the first year, you have to go through the manufacture for repairs. They did tell me they covered power surge but nothing else for the first year. So when you buy the warranty they don't tell you that up front, really misleading.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 9, 2011
Called and got the run around multiple times. I asked for my money back and they would not provide any help. The comparable model was not the same as what I purchased. I know upset people write bad reviews, but I want to save others the hours wasted that I spent. Go somewhere that you can get a real human conversation and they can see your upset face to resolve your issue. Square Trade is a scam!
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 2, 2011
Be careful to read the fine prints before you buy... I bought this warranty for my new Mitsubishi 73" rear projection TV, thinking it'll cover the bulb if it burns out after a few years. After purchasing, I got a copy of the contract and read the fine prints, and sure enough, it states that the bulb is not covered. And for plasma tv's, burn-in is not covered. Lots of items in the "what's not covered" section. The problem is you don't get to see it when you purchase the warranty, so it's a big surprise after you buy it. Doesn't seem right, does it?
on November 14, 2014
Square Trade has been a major player in the residential warranty arena for many years now. For some time, they have enjoyed a reputation for reasonable and attractive price points for covering your electronics, phones and other equipment as well as for their customer service. I have purchased 6 warranties from ST but there has been a clear and substantial deterioration in the quality and consistency of their repair and customer support "experience" which has now altered my assessment of the value of a Square Trade purchase for the following reasons.

1. Market-competitive price points compared with Best Buy's Geek Squad and other competitors for large electronics, HDTV's, android and i Phones and other equipment which draw you in initially on the purchase.
2. Customer Support still in the U.S.
3. Most customer support associates are friendly and generate the perception of a friendly customer culture but often lack the training, resources or empowerment to address customer concerns.

1. Access ALL of the terms and conditions BEFORE you purchase your warranty. If not, you are likely to be very disappointed if and when your item requires repair. Unfortunately, Square Trade is not transparent in making this information conspicuous before the purchase. ST strategically places their "Terms and Conditions" in text at the very end of the page requiring an electron microscope to read. Most of us never think of reviewing this prior to purchase but you should ALWAYS do so. Remember that the devil is always in the details and this is especially relevant with Square Trade. Their liability under the terms of the warranty is limited to the actual purchase price of your item. READ IT CAREFULLY.

2. Like all warranty companies, they remain excessively bureaucratic. Expect to spend indefinite periods of time and space waiting on the line as they "review" your inquiry or case while you age. ST thinks nothing of asking their customers to hold for 30 minutes as they educate themselves at your expense. Instead of guaranteeing a time-sensitive call-back for those issues demanding such attention, Square Trade associates challenge your patience while they search for information which should be at their fingertips.

3. On many occasions, Square Trade provides inaccurate and/or clearly incomplete information regarding your inquiry. Supervisors are often unavailable or not empowered to resolve customer issues quickly and accurately as used to be the case several years ago. Having had (and have) multiple policies and a repair claim to my credit, my experience suggests that their "Customer Service" is extremely porous with little respect for customer's time.

4. Claim Processing can be inconsistent and cumbersome and is far from a seamless, coordinated process. My repair claim resulted in having to make over six calls to ST. Not only did ST initially deny a valid laptop claim due to a poorly trained associate, but also failed to send out a shipping box as they had agreed.

5. Square Trade's promotional incentives can be misleading and their lack of transparency in honoring them often marginal at best. Keep in mind that to receive ST-sponsored promotions, you must purchase your warranty directly through Square Trade's website and not through Amazon. This can be a clear disadvantage because the best prices on Square Trade warranty products is consistently through Amazon. For example, ST does not offer a 5 year HDTV warranty on their own website; to get this, you must purchase it from Amazon.

6. Communicating with ST through their poor, tinny "outer-space" VOIP line contributes to frustration and not an efficient and pleasant customer experience. The "experience" equation becomes even more prominent if you are unlucky enough to get the representative whose native language is clearly not English or who does not articulate clearly.

7. In addition to their verbatim phone script, ST addresses each client by their first name which I suspect is intended as a friendly gesture. Many of us may find this practice somewhat juvenile and patronizing, particularly those who of us who graduated from kindergarten-I find that "sir" or using a last name seems to work just fine.

1. Consider if you really need these types of "warranties". Consumer Reports has consistently recommended to avoid these types of warranties because the return on investment is often not worth the price of the warranty product.

2. If you do decide to purchase a Square Trade warranty, purchase it directly from Amazon. Here's why: Amazon's partnership with ST is a revenue-enhancing conduit for delivering Square Trade's products. As such, any grievances become arbitrated and rectified quickly and efficiently by Amazon on behalf of its customers. My 9 calls to ST to try and resolve a recent issue remained unresolved until Amazon intervened to issue the accurate credit.

3. Amazon's price points for ST warranties is volatile and changes frequently, often by as much as $10-$15. I suggest placing your chosen plan in your cart and waiting a few days before purchasing since the price fluctuates rapidly. In most cases, you have 30 days from the date of purchase of your equipment to purchase the warranty so you have time to determine the price ceiling and floor for your particular warranty.

3. Request a complete copy of the terms and conditions governing your specific warranty and READ IT CAREFULLY BEFORE PURCHASING.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 13, 2011
This seems like a good deal, fare price, but, then it turns out that they start your coverage from the date of purchase, when the product comes with a full 1 year from the manufacture, they have sold a 4 year plan only giving you a 3 year plan. Is there any honest company left for us to do business with?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2012
I have bought 2 Square Trade warranties, one for a large screen TV and one for a desk top all in one computer. Recently I had trouble with a hard drive and graphic card on the computer and looked at my Square Trade Warranty online. I called them and told them the problem. They gave me the option of finding a repair place myself or they would find one. I opted for them to find one. They contacted someone in my local area to repair my PC. They picked up my PC checked it out. They called and told me the problem and that they could fix the graphic card problem in the shop. They ordered a hard drive replacement and after cloning my old drive, installed the new one and put all my info on it. They then returned the old drive to me. The whole thing took 2 weeks. It would have been quicker if we had decided to order a new drive right off the bat. All in all I was very pleased with Square Trade. They were easy to get in touch with and had someone at my home quickly. I will use them on other purchases and recommend them for any online purchase.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse