1,598 Reviews
 (1,039)

4.0 out of 5 stars Make Sure You Purchase The Correct Warranty For Your Product
I haven't purchased this yet: it is in my shopping cart and I will likely buy it.

However, I just got off the phone with SquareTrade [1-877-WARRANTY] and thought I'd pass on info I got from them as well as reading the reviews of the company on the San Francisco BBB site [...] and on epinions.com [...]

1. Make sure you have the right warranty for your...
Published on June 4, 2011 by G. E. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the details before you buy a Squaretrade warranty
I have several Squaretrade warranties I purchased 1-2 years ago. They do what they say they will do, but the devil's in the details with Squaretrade warranties. The way they sell these for a lot lower cost is because they limit their exposure, and recoup costs on the back end. They limit their exposure by only providing total coverage up to the purchase price of your...
Published on May 11, 2011 by Geronimo

4.0 out of 5 stars Make Sure You Purchase The Correct Warranty For Your Product, June 4, 2011
I just got off the phone with SquareTrade [1-877-WARRANTY] and thought I'd pass on info I got from them as well as through reading the reviews of the company on the San Francisco BBB site [...]and on epinions.com [...]

1. Make sure you have the right warranty for your product. There are glitches in their system for syncing the proper warranty with the proper product, both on Amazon and on eBay.

When I purchased my LG HD TV [...] here on Amazon, the price was $539.00. HOWEVER, the section on that page for "Available Warranties or Services for This TV" listed the 3-year and 4-year warranties for a price point of $450.00 to $500.00: [...] and [...]

I had noticed some complaints on epinion.com about the wrong warranty not being honored, although in those cases, the full price of the warranty was refunded, even though the product wasn't repaired/replaced.

Once I described my TV to the SquareTrade phone representative, he gave me the correct Amazon code to look up this warranty [...] and add it to my cart.

2. You have 90 Days FROM THE DATE OF ORDERING YOUR COVERED PURCHASE (not delivery date) to purchase the extended warranty. So, I suggest you add this warranty to your cart or wish list and then wait to receive your covered product from Amazon and review the MANUFACTURER'S Warranty.

Also, you can get an additional discount code from SquareTrade, just by asking for it over the phone, so it will be worth it to wait and do your warranty purchase here AFTER delivery of your covered product and AFTER you call SquareTrade and ask for a discount and the code.

3. This is a repair/cash value warranty, which means that they will not provide any service beyond the price you paid for your covered product.

For example, during the time period covered by your manufacturer's warranty, IF the manufacturer refuses to cover something normally covered by SquareTrade, SquareTrade WILL honor their coverage and pay for the difference. HOWEVER, whatever they pay out comes off the total value of your purchase price.

FOR INSTANCE: SquareTrade provides in-home repairs for TV's larger than 34 inches. IF your manufacturer doesn't, and requires you to pay for shipping for repairs under the manufacturer's warranty, then SquareTrade says it will usually refund those charges when the invoice is submitted to them. HOWEVER, whatever they pay out will now come off of the total coverage. So, if the covered product breaks down again after the manufacturer's warranty expires, you will receive your purchase price from SquareTrade, LESS the amount they already covered on your first claim.

1.0 out of 5 stars Check the facts before you agree on a settlement., April 4, 2013
Joe (New York City) - See all my reviews
My 58 inch Samsung plasma TV began showing signs of a bad panel a few months back. I knew I had a protection plan with squaretrade for a maximum replacement value for the TV of $2499. So I called to have the set looked at by a service center that squaretrade picked. After an exam of the TV panel they concluded that the TV was totalled and a replacement or a refund would be issued.
This is where the fun starts. I was told that the exact TV was NOT available and a similar TV would cost $900 (I owned a smart tv... 3D... internet access... top of the line samsung. The replacement was a budget tv squaretrade was offering).
Very long story short... squaretrade lied about the exact TV not being available in the exact same store (amazon). It not only was in stock... there were 12 sets waiting for delivery using my prime memebership. Its replacement price was $2699 but I just wanted what I was covered for... $2499. Squaretrade offered and sent out a check for $2000... $499 less than coverage. The only reason I gave squaretrade a rating is cause you cant give zero stars... They lied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to buy and easy to use., February 6, 2012
I have bought 2 Square Trade warranties, one for a large screen TV and one for a desk top all in one computer. Recently I had trouble with a hard drive and graphic card on the computer and looked at my Square Trade Warranty online. I called them and told them the problem. They gave me the option of finding a repair place myself or they would find one. I opted for them to find one. They contacted someone in my local area to repair my PC. They picked up my PC checked it out. They called and told me the problem and that they could fix the graphic card problem in the shop. They ordered a hard drive replacement and after cloning my old drive, installed the new one and put all my info on it. They then returned the old drive to me. The whole thing took 2 weeks. It would have been quicker if we had decided to order a new drive right off the bat. All in all I was very pleased with Square Trade. They were easy to get in touch with and had someone at my home quickly. I will use them on other purchases and recommend them for any online purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, July 9, 2011
Called and got the run around multiple times. I asked for my money back and they would not provide any help. The comparable model was not the same as what I purchased. I know upset people write bad reviews, but I want to save others the hours wasted that I spent. Go somewhere that you can get a real human conversation and they can see your upset face to resolve your issue. Square Trade is a scam!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a real warranty, June 18, 2012
This is not a real extended warranty. They only cover you up to the amount you paid including all the potential service calls. So if you have several service calls you may end up using up all your warranty and still have no TV. If you are lucky and the TV is not repairable on the first try you will get your money back. If you get a repair then you only entitled to what is left after the repair. So for example for $500 TV after a $200 service call you will be left with a maximum of $300 for all future repair or replacements. It maybe cheaper, but you get what you paid for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Squaretrade is as good as their word! (don't throw away your receipt), April 6, 2009
I purchased a 42" flat screen tv a few years ago, and was naturally concerned about what to do after the 1 year manufacturer's warranty had expired. The store offered its own extended warranty program, but I was hesitant about putting down hundreds of dollars for a 3 year extended warranty. Surely there was something more economical with the same, or better service?

I heard, via word of mouth, of a third-party alternative called Squaretrade. Intrigued, I checked reseller ratings, and was very shocked to see a lifetime rating of 9.7. I read many of the reviews, and they all consistently praised ST's dedication to fulfilling its warranty promises. Of the few that were not pleased with ST service (and some of them were the customer's fault), I was impressed by the follow-up messages left by ST's representatives to resolve the situation.

Convinced, I ended up purchasing a 3 year warranty through Squaretrade, for just ~$40. ST runs monthly %-off discounts, so you can always get a very good bargain. To clarify, if I remember correctly, the 3 year warranty is really a 2 year warranty, since the first year overlaps with the first year of the manufacturer's warranty. However, you should read the fine print to double check.

Talk about knocking on wood. My TV broke recently, and so I submitted my claim form to ST, which primarily comprised faxing a copy of my receipt to them (don't throw it away!), and describing my problem. I was expecting a reply a few months later, but Squaretrade promises resolution in less than week. I was shocked to find in my email inbox, a message from ST indicating that since it was cost prohibitive to ship my TV back to them for repairs, they would instead be refunding my original purchase price in its entirety, through PayPal. Sure enough, the money was sent the next day.

This is legendary service, the kind consumers dream about. You can buy a ST warranty with complete confidence, and be assured of their guarantees. Regarding TVs, they will not cover certain issues, e.g. burn-in on a plasma, and lamp replacements on DLPs. Again, check the fine print (don't worry, there's not too much to read).

I'm going to be buying all my warranties through ST in the future, recommending them to my friends and families, and making sure my children, and my children's children buy Squaretrade warranties. I wholeheartedly recommend them (and no, I'm not getting paid by ST to write this review).

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible customer service and failure to fulfill promises, November 20, 2013
We paid for the 4 year warranty when we bought a Philips TV. The TV broke down and Square trade asked us to contact the manufacturer and we did. Neither the manufacturer nor square trade could solve the issue after a series of numerous daily phone calls in a one month period. The 4-year TV Protection Plan we purchased was not fulfilled even though it was supposedly guaranteed. This supposed warranty was a flop, and customer service was outrageously incompetent.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Buying, January 29, 2014
Contract does nor start until the manufacture's warranty runs out. So you are not buying a 5 year warranty, but extending the warranty to five years. The contract states when repairing, they can use any part that meets the manufacturer's specifications. That means, refurbished or after market parts and not parts manufactured by the product's manufacturer. In addition and although not specifically worded in the contract this way, any costs of repairs will be deducted from your initial purchase price, which means if a second repair is needed and they cannot fix they will reimburse you by check or gift certificate the amount of your purchase price less their outlay cost of any previous repairs. Further, if additional repairs are needed, once the total costs added together equals your purchase price, their obligation is over. Coverage does not include burn in, which is when the screen develops an image and does not cover any burns in the pixels, which if this happens will leave a brow or dark spot on the screen. If they cannot fix it on the first call, they have the option to replace the product with any product by any other manufacturer that has the same features and not the product from the manufacturer you selected to buy from initially. Finally, if they replace the product, you are responsible for mailing the defective product back to where they tell you to at your cost.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bulbs not covered for rear-projection TV, July 2, 2011
Be careful to read the fine prints before you buy... I bought this warranty for my new Mitsubishi 73" rear projection TV, thinking it'll cover the bulb if it burns out after a few years. After purchasing, I got a copy of the contract and read the fine prints, and sure enough, it states that the bulb is not covered. And for plasma tv's, burn-in is not covered. Lots of items in the "what's not covered" section. The problem is you don't get to see it when you purchase the warranty, so it's a big surprise after you buy it. Doesn't seem right, does it?

1.0 out of 5 stars SquareTrade 3 year T.V. Warranty, May 4, 2011
Its a three year warranty that is really only a two year warranty. The warranty does not cover your T.V. for the first year, you have to go through the manufacture for repairs. They did tell me they covered power surge but nothing else for the first year. So when you buy the warranty they don't tell you that up front, really misleading.

SquareTrade 5-Year TV Protection Plan ($700-$800)
$81.67