1,354 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good peace of mind at a good price
Published on June 12, 2012 by NJP (Ohio)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Communication and Service
Published 19 months ago by Kristin

4.0 out of 5 stars Good peace of mind at a good price, June 12, 2012
First let's get this out of the way: you need to understand SquareTrade's warranties to appreciate them, and make appropriate decisions on them. If you understand that the value of the warranty diminishes with your repair claims, then you're OK. The point of the ST warranty is to make sure your computer runs for the duration of the warranty period OR fix or replace it up to, or until, the face value of the warranty is met. Meaning: if you have warranted the computer for $1000, and it is repaired at a repair cost of $200, your remaining warranty is only good for $800 worth of additinoal repairs or refund during the warranty period. I understand this and think it is a fair policy which helps keep pricing affordable.

My claims experience with SquareTrade is twofold. About a year into the warranty my touchscreen laptop had a screen problem. SquareTrade repaired it quickly. Unfortunately the screen still occassionally lost its touch ability, but this seemed more software based than hardware as a reboot would correct. All in all I was happy with the repair. The cost of the repair was valued at roughly $250, which seemed reasonable.

About a year after that, in a rush, I unfortunately dropped the laptop and broke it severely. I felt terrible as this is my daughter's computer which she loves. Since we had Accidental Damage protection (thought we might need it for my daughter and not for me!) I frantically called SquareTrade. My call was taken care of quickly and professionally. I sent the laptop in and in 2 days was greeted with a warranty payment equal to the face amount minus the $250 previous repair charge. This allowed me to replace my daughter's computer quickly (and with less of a wallet impact) and not have an issue with her school work.

Worked exactly as advertised by SquareTrade and I am very happy with their service. This experience will provide additional peace of mind to me should I ever need to make another claim (which I hope I do not) on any of the other items I have warranted with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Communication and Service, April 12, 2013
I bought my laptop a year ago and bought this protection plan for it. Two months ago it kept turning off so I sent it in to square trade for them to fix it. I haven't had my laptop for a total of 7 weeks and I still haven't received it back. I have spoke with several employees and none of them communicate with each other. Every time I call they have something else to tell me. After sending it in the first time, they told me nothing was wrong with it and sent it back to me. My brother had to call them and point out what was wrong with it to the employees who SHOULD be trained in this profession. Some employees tell me I will receive a check to buy a new laptop and others tell me I will have my laptop back in two days. I don't know how many times THIS WEEK ALONE I have been told that I will have my laptop back to me 'tomorrow.' It is absurd that they treat their customers like this. I am extremely disappointed with this company. There is no reason that a college student should not have access to their own computer for this length of time. It is absolutely ridiculous and unprofessional to keep customers waiting this long with such inconsistence. If you purchase this, you are basically paying money to wait and be lied to by unprofessional employees.

1.0 out of 5 stars Before you buy, find & read the fine print not on this website, October 3, 2010
R. Lloyd (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
I bought an ASUS netbook in Sep 2009 and also bought the SquareTrade (ST) warranty with accidental damage for 3 years. At just under one year, the battery went dead - netbook shows it is charged, but the netbook will not even turn on with battery. ASUS would do NOTHING and their battery is not even stocked by ASUS. So, I turned to my ST warranty. I submited a claim and SquareTrade rejected it.

It turns out - batteries and chargers are NOT covered by ST. So, my dead netbook will not be fixed under the SquareTrade warranty. That info is not on this webpage (4Oct2010). It is a little misleading to talk about all of the "good things" and leave out the "minor detail" that two most likely parts to fail (battery and charger) are NOT covered!

1.0 out of 5 stars Talk the talk, but no walk., January 22, 2014
This review is from a person processing a claim, and that person is me. I have read many reviews on this company, but very, very few are from people who have actually processed a claim. That is telling in itself.

I wonder how many bad experiences go unnoticed with this company. SquareTrade has a good website interface with clear language. However, today I was told I would receive a call back by a supervisor, "...in 24 business hours." That was a first for me. I have an extensive past career as a technical support person and having been a manager at a phone support center for a major company as well as a trainer and quality assurance officer, I was more than a little annoyed, surprised and drawn into action. Suffice it to say, you may stop reading at the end of this paragraph and know that the rest of the story fills the details in for your amusement and perhaps the management at SquareTrade. This company failed in providing the service and communications to this end user at many points in the warranty claim cycle and the tipping point was the courteous, apparently hard working, phone support person who read scripts to great annoyance. Quite simply, SquareTrade talks the talk, but does not walk the walk. From 24 business hours to business days to business weeks, it makes little difference how much time SquareTrade says it needs to repair and ship something back if no business actually happens. In my case, the repair of my laptop.

My laptop was in receipt for 9 business days with no update other than it was to be fixed. This is my first encounter with this company and they have very clear milestones denoted in the claim process. Unfortunately, no one individual really handles your claim, follows up with the repair depot or updates the customer with delays. All seem to fall through the proverbial crack. Today, I gave them a call and spoke with Tracy in customer service. She authenticated me five different ways and then proceeded to finish her script stating she would put me on hold and check on the laptop. She came back after a few minutes and alerted me that the repair depot had to order parts and that repairs were being made and it would ship out in 2-3 business days. Wow. You have had the laptop for 9 business days, not made any update even though you said you would if there were delays, and now you have the parts in hand and still won't be able to ship it for 2-3 business days? The website indicates five business days for repair and up to 2 business days for shipping. Shame on me for not following up at 7 business days! It would seem this should be a priority for a company to repair, but perhaps not. I was going to accept that the laptop would ship out in a few days and then take unknown amount of days (up to 2) to be delivered. Then, I realized the repair takes less than a couple of hours, probably a lot less as it was just a bezel, but certainly not 2-3 business days. Why am I not getting the laptop shipped today? I asked to speak to a supervisor. Mind you, very politely and acknowledging that I was not angry at Tracy. I was told by Tracy that I would be contacted by a supervisor, "...in 24 business hours." Huh? What does that mean? Is that a fancy or sneaky way of saying 3 business days? I told her I was not happy and would take the matter up with the seller of the warranty and make it known to the world. Then, all of a sudden, Tracy says I can talk to a more senior representative. Huh? Is that a fancy way of disguising supervisors as "senior customer service reps?" I said, "Ok, please let me talk to this person." She put me on hold and then one minute later the line gets disconnected. Sound familiar? To her credit she called me back, but I had already called them back and asked to talk to Tracy and was informed there were many call centers. Not surprising to me. No authentication this time and I moved right into checking if there were any updates to the account with the new representative. He checked and nothing there. He indicated maybe Tracy had not yet posted anything to the account. Tracy was on hold while we figured this out, perhaps a bit of payback. I gave her my work number and asked if they could call me back in half an hour at that number. It must take some number of business minutes to get the call back as I have yet not heard back and it has been several regular hours.

And so the dance continues. I did not pay $99 to go dancing and spend hours on the phone. Save your hundred bucks, buy a good case, and be careful. Do this and most of the time you will get your three years and then some out of your tech. If it breaks and is not related to your handling, then it probably will do so within the manufacturers warranty period. Are extended warranties a bad idea? For laptops, I say yes. Probably for most all electronics.

Updates to follow as my claim unfolds.

UPDATE: 1/23/2014
The representative indicated they would send me an email, ask a senior representative to contact me, and nothing happened. This was yesterday.

Talking to Ashley now to ask what's up. Ashley says they have no leverage with the repair depot as they are contracted out and would I like to call them. Huh? One person calling a big company to spend more time on the phone with a company that could care less. The failure, is with communication to me from SquareTrade, the failure of the repair depot to communicate up to SquareTrade (which I could never know if that happened or not), and the failure of the systems used to process a claim. Yes, I am talking to you web communications person.

All that is needed is a fair assessment of how long things take and the reality is that it takes 2-3 times longer than they say. If it is going to take longer update the claim! Of course, it could be longer as I am still without a laptop and the repair depot approved the claim of repair on 1/8/2014.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service, July 22, 2013
Robert Yoakum (Accident, MD, US) - See all my reviews
I am very upset with the service I was provided with. I had a problem with power up on my computer, Square Trade did respond properly and sent a box to have it shipped back to them for repairs. It came back in a short time and the paper with it said what was done and they verified it was good to go. It was not as it would still not power on. I contacted Square Trade who told me they do not do the repairs a subcontractor does so they promised me a response from them. When they contacted me they wanted to send me another box and have it returned back to them yet again. I took the computer to a local repair shop to be repaired and it was repaired this time, I could not be without my computer again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disorganized, deceptive, unprofessional, November 20, 2012
When my computer had trouble, SquareTrade asked for photos -- I sent them in within 12 hours of the request but NEVER HEARD BACK! After a week, I called and spoke with a new representative (not the original person, who had stopped responding to my emails), who tried to refuse my claim, as if by second nature. On multiple occasions, they offered to "buy back" my warranty. This is their tactic to effectively erase all evidence you had a warranty at all and avoid taking care of your claim. Finally, after the representative spoke with her "senior manager" they suddenly decided they could repair it (I suspect she never even talked to the manager -- these are just the tactics they use).

Days later, after SquareTrade missed multiple phone appointments which I had changed my schedule to accommodate, they denied my claim -- the technician's report contained multiple inconsistencies, but when I called to point out the inconsistenties, THE REPRESENTATIVE HUNG UP ON ME! He yelled at me, "You're not listening" and then -- click -- he hung up on me! After hanging up on me and without asking, they sent back my computer unrepaired.

TERRIBLE COMPANY -- THEY WILL LIE TO AVOID HONORING YOUR CLAIM. THEY WILL HANG UP ON YOU AND IGNORE YOUR CLAIM. They use their tactics to talk people out of their claims.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor repair, poor customer service with lots of empty promises. Stay away!, June 17, 2014
My laptop was accidentally dropped and had a cracked screen. So I called Squaretrade, the first claim they handled it really quick by sending the box within 2 days. Even though they advertise that the repair will be only within 5 days it took me over a week to get my laptop back. Upon checking my laptop, oh my there's opening on the left screen bezel and when I close and open the screen it cracked again on the top left corner. Whoever performed the repair did a very poor job and it baffled me that it took them 5 days to do a very very poor job like that! I called back and explained. They promised me they will take it back. 1st time, I waited over a week, nothing arrived, 2nd time, they promised me the box will arrive in 2 days, nothing arrive a week later. I called the third time, they kept telling me the same thing. I don't know how Squaretrade got their 5 stars review from, maybe they are all from their own employees but this service is not worth even 1 star for me. They take your money, poorly repair it once, then disappear. This service is really bad and I am a REAL customer so I advise you before purchasing Squaretrade to seriously consider it. Stay away from it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs., November 26, 2013
Absolutely horrible experience dealing with this company.
I sent it in to have a cracked screen fixed, and after a month and a half with no progress, I called the company to get an update. I find out I won't be able to get my computer back, but they offered to send me my hard drive and a check to compensate for the rest. That's fine, s*** happens. I accept their offer. However, I receive an email shortly after stating that, as previously promised, they would NOT be returning my hard drive. Not fine, but there was nothing I could do.
As compensation for their screw-ups, they offered me a coupon code for 30% off my next warranty with them. As loathe as I was to ever have to deal with this company again, there was a fairly-priced warranty offered by the store where I bought my next computer that was through Squaretrade, so I decided to give them another try. When I try to purchase this new warranty, they initially wouldn't honor the 30% discount. I had to be on the phone for 40 minutes, put on hold for long stretches of time, to convince them to give me what they had promised.
Throughout this experience, I had to deal with representatives who were inept, apathetic, and unyielding in their efforts to deny me adequate customer service. I can't remember the last time I was ever as dissatisfied with a business's practices as I am with Squaretrade. Save yourself the headache and seek out a warranty from anyone else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Experience, January 10, 2013
I purchased an HP Envy 17 Laptop from Amazon. After a little less than one year, I started having hard drive problems with one of the two drives. I contacted Square Trade and they were not helpful in two respects. First, they said I should use the HP warranty. In fact, they insisted that I use the HP warranty. When I told them I wanted to use them, they next said they didn't have the expertise to properly format the sophisticated hard drives of the HP Envy. Therefore, if they did repair it, I would not get it back in the same condition. What a dissappointment. I contacted HP and they took care of it (although it took awhile). I renewed my HP factory warranty for 2 more years and ate the loss on the useless "Square Trade" warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's be truthful here., June 18, 2013
I got this protection for my new Acer Aspire. It took a week or more for the computer to be delivered but the Square Trade coverage began the day I purchased it. I didn't think that was right so I fought it. They put me through hell with sending them receipts and such via email and each time I didn't do something right and had to submit it again. Think it took me three tries.

Finally got that wrinkle ironed out but was so focused on the date stuff that I didn't notice they have the coverage on a HP Pavilion. I didn't buy a HP Pavilion. I contacted them to tell them they got it wrong and to check the receipts and such I sent them before. Now they want me to send them the receipts and stuff ALL OVER AGAIN.

I will NEVER buy from Square Trade again and I hope to God I never need to use their insurance. I wouldn't trust sending my computer to them for repair. Maybe that's what they are trying to do! Prevent people from using their coverage for fear of worse things happening to their computers.

Find your insurance somewhere else. This company is a hot mess.