1,121 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good peace of mind at a good price
Published 22 months ago by NJP (Ohio)

Published on October 3, 2010 by R. Lloyd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good peace of mind at a good price, June 12, 2012
First let's get this out of the way: you need to understand SquareTrade's warranties to appreciate them, and make appropriate decisions on them. If you understand that the value of the warranty diminishes with your repair claims, then you're OK. The point of the ST warranty is to make sure your computer runs for the duration of the warranty period OR fix or replace it up to, or until, the face value of the warranty is met. Meaning: if you have warranted the computer for $1000, and it is repaired at a repair cost of $200, your remaining warranty is only good for $800 worth of additinoal repairs or refund during the warranty period. I understand this and think it is a fair policy which helps keep pricing affordable.

My claims experience with SquareTrade is twofold. About a year into the warranty my touchscreen laptop had a screen problem. SquareTrade repaired it quickly. Unfortunately the screen still occassionally lost its touch ability, but this seemed more software based than hardware as a reboot would correct. All in all I was happy with the repair. The cost of the repair was valued at roughly $250, which seemed reasonable.

About a year after that, in a rush, I unfortunately dropped the laptop and broke it severely. I felt terrible as this is my daughter's computer which she loves. Since we had Accidental Damage protection (thought we might need it for my daughter and not for me!) I frantically called SquareTrade. My call was taken care of quickly and professionally. I sent the laptop in and in 2 days was greeted with a warranty payment equal to the face amount minus the $250 previous repair charge. This allowed me to replace my daughter's computer quickly (and with less of a wallet impact) and not have an issue with her school work.

Worked exactly as advertised by SquareTrade and I am very happy with their service. This experience will provide additional peace of mind to me should I ever need to make another claim (which I hope I do not) on any of the other items I have warranted with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Before you buy, find & read the fine print not on this website, October 3, 2010
R. Lloyd (East Coast USA) - See all my reviews
I bought an ASUS netbook in Sep 2009 and also bought the SquareTrade (ST) warranty with accidental damage for 3 years. At just under one year, the battery went dead - netbook shows it is charged, but the netbook will not even turn on with battery. ASUS would do NOTHING and their battery is not even stocked by ASUS. So, I turned to my ST warranty. I submited a claim and SquareTrade rejected it.

It turns out - batteries and chargers are NOT covered by ST. So, my dead netbook will not be fixed under the SquareTrade warranty. That info is not on this webpage (4Oct2010). It is a little misleading to talk about all of the "good things" and leave out the "minor detail" that two most likely parts to fail (battery and charger) are NOT covered!

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Communication and Service, April 12, 2013
I bought my laptop a year ago and bought this protection plan for it. Two months ago it kept turning off so I sent it in to square trade for them to fix it. I haven't had my laptop for a total of 7 weeks and I still haven't received it back. I have spoke with several employees and none of them communicate with each other. Every time I call they have something else to tell me. After sending it in the first time, they told me nothing was wrong with it and sent it back to me. My brother had to call them and point out what was wrong with it to the employees who SHOULD be trained in this profession. Some employees tell me I will receive a check to buy a new laptop and others tell me I will have my laptop back in two days. I don't know how many times THIS WEEK ALONE I have been told that I will have my laptop back to me 'tomorrow.' It is absurd that they treat their customers like this. I am extremely disappointed with this company. There is no reason that a college student should not have access to their own computer for this length of time. It is absolutely ridiculous and unprofessional to keep customers waiting this long with such inconsistence. If you purchase this, you are basically paying money to wait and be lied to by unprofessional employees.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disorganized, deceptive, unprofessional, November 20, 2012
When my computer had trouble, SquareTrade asked for photos -- I sent them in within 12 hours of the request but NEVER HEARD BACK! After a week, I called and spoke with a new representative (not the original person, who had stopped responding to my emails), who tried to refuse my claim, as if by second nature. On multiple occasions, they offered to "buy back" my warranty. This is their tactic to effectively erase all evidence you had a warranty at all and avoid taking care of your claim. Finally, after the representative spoke with her "senior manager" they suddenly decided they could repair it (I suspect she never even talked to the manager -- these are just the tactics they use).

Days later, after SquareTrade missed multiple phone appointments which I had changed my schedule to accommodate, they denied my claim -- the technician's report contained multiple inconsistencies, but when I called to point out the inconsistenties, THE REPRESENTATIVE HUNG UP ON ME! He yelled at me, "You're not listening" and then -- click -- he hung up on me! After hanging up on me and without asking, they sent back my computer unrepaired.

TERRIBLE COMPANY -- THEY WILL LIE TO AVOID HONORING YOUR CLAIM. THEY WILL HANG UP ON YOU AND IGNORE YOUR CLAIM. They use their tactics to talk people out of their claims.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and Easy, January 12, 2010
Truth in advertising first - my review is on a Square Trade desktop warranty, and while the computer I had bought was essentially new, it turns out to be a resale, but I don't think that makes a difference in how things went. Purchasing was very easy, of course, it came as a link to the vendor web page, and as I had a previous experience buying a Square Trade desktop warranty (for a used Mac), I realized it was a very good value compared to other options. Anyway, the desktop suddenly stopped working after 5 months - it wouldn't even turn on, and I had heard what was probably hard disk extra noise the 24 hours before, but I couldn't test it since it wouldn't power on at all. After trying alternate power outlets, etc., and confirming, I knew I would have to contact Square Trade to see what to do next. I was a little anxious about having to explain and cajole and negotiate and have to ship the machine somewhere, even though there is a recognized service company practically next to my house. While it wasn't a very large desktop, it was much bigger than a laptop. However, it was only in the $300-400 range. I first made a notice of potential claim via the Square Trade website, which was very straightforward to use. They acknowledged receipt and said I should hear within 48 hours, which I did. However, they had for some reason classified my machine as a laptop, which may have something to do with the price, but as a result I picked up the phone and called their 800 customer service number. I was pleasantly surprised to get through very quickly to an obviously informed and empowered representative, and after reading my claim and hearing me expound a bit more on what the situation was, determined that with the lower value on the product and that it was not a laptop, it did not pay to either send it in or have it reviewed locally, and simply said they would settle by refunding my purchase price. He sent me the form I needed to fill out and sign and send back, and after they registered receipt of that form, they credited my PayPal account for the full original price of my product. The money showed up on the next "payment processing date" for their operation - apparently they only process a couple of times a week to keep costs down, which I understand - but it came just when they said it would. You also have the option of having a check mailed, but that takes longer. As stated above, this was my second Square Trade Warranty purchase, and the only claim I have needed to make, but the smoothness and competence of the process left me very impressed compared with dealings I have had with other online vendors in the past. One does not purchase a warranty expecting (or hoping) to have to use it, but then when you need to, and it works so well, it does give you an extra feeling of satisfaction. I highly recommend that you consider Square Trade whenever you are in the market for an extended/enhanced warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor service, July 22, 2013
Robert Yoakum (Accident, MD, US) - See all my reviews
I am very upset with the service I was provided with. I had a problem with power up on my computer, Square Trade did respond properly and sent a box to have it shipped back to them for repairs. It came back in a short time and the paper with it said what was done and they verified it was good to go. It was not as it would still not power on. I contacted Square Trade who told me they do not do the repairs a subcontractor does so they promised me a response from them. When they contacted me they wanted to send me another box and have it returned back to them yet again. I took the computer to a local repair shop to be repaired and it was repaired this time, I could not be without my computer again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's be truthful here., June 18, 2013
I got this protection for my new Acer Aspire. It took a week or more for the computer to be delivered but the Square Trade coverage began the day I purchased it. I didn't think that was right so I fought it. They put me through hell with sending them receipts and such via email and each time I didn't do something right and had to submit it again. Think it took me three tries.

Finally got that wrinkle ironed out but was so focused on the date stuff that I didn't notice they have the coverage on a HP Pavilion. I didn't buy a HP Pavilion. I contacted them to tell them they got it wrong and to check the receipts and such I sent them before. Now they want me to send them the receipts and stuff ALL OVER AGAIN.

I will NEVER buy from Square Trade again and I hope to God I never need to use their insurance. I wouldn't trust sending my computer to them for repair. Maybe that's what they are trying to do! Prevent people from using their coverage for fear of worse things happening to their computers.

Find your insurance somewhere else. This company is a hot mess.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor customer service, June 13, 2013
Eileen (Wisconsin, USA) - See all my reviews
They told me that my claim was approved and sent me a shipping box. They knew exactly what kind of tablet I have and that the glass was cracked. They sent me notice of receipt and told me that it would be repaired within 5 days and shipped back which will take an additional 1-2 days. They told me if there was a problem that would cause a delay, they would contact me. On day 9, having not received it back and having not heard anything from them, I called and was told that they had me ship it to the wrong repair depot and they had to send it to another. Long story short, I will be lucky if it is repaired and back to me within 3 weeks. I now wish that I would have saved the money that I used to pay for the warranty. It would have covered nearly half of the cost of a second tablet which I could be using now while a local repair shop got my business to repair the broken one. I regret that I have purchased 4 of these plans including 2 that I transferred with electronic gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and simple, June 17, 2010
E. Studley (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
The screen on my laptop got broken. I submitted a claim and the next day I was told that I qualified for a full refund. Less then a week after I mailed the laptop to them with a prepaid ups label the company confirmed my claim and the full purchase price was put in my paypal account.

1.0 out of 5 stars Computer repair came back NOT repaired, March 7, 2012
My computer screen had a red line running across it and the dvd drive stopped working so I turned to my Square trade warranty and submitted a claim. The process was smooth and convenient, a third party repair company sent me a pre-paid well designed box to ship my laptop to them (2nd day delivery also!) I sent it, it took only about a week to get it back. I was so excited that it had all gone so well....UNTIL...I turned the computer on and the line was still there. Disappointing and I feel a little betrayed and cheated. I called the repair company and they are sending another box and now I'll be inconvenienced for another week (or more if they don't fix it again). I think they should reconsider their contract with the repair company if the repair company can't SEE that there is still a line on the screen that they are supposed to have fixed.

ARRAY(0xa360ab4c)