1,262 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good peace of mind at a good price
First let's get this out of the way: you need to understand SquareTrade's warranties to appreciate them, and make appropriate decisions on them. If you understand that the value of the warranty diminishes with your repair claims, then you're OK. The point of the ST warranty is to make sure your computer runs for the duration of the warranty period OR fix or replace it up...
Published on June 12, 2012 by NJP (Ohio)

1.0 out of 5 stars Before you buy, find & read the fine print not on this website
I bought an ASUS netbook in Sep 2009 and also bought the SquareTrade (ST) warranty with accidental damage for 3 years. At just under one year, the battery went dead - netbook shows it is charged, but the netbook will not even turn on with battery. ASUS would do NOTHING and their battery is not even stocked by ASUS. So, I turned to my ST warranty. I submited a claim...
Published on October 3, 2010 by R. Lloyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and Easy, January 12, 2010
Truth in advertising first - my review is on a Square Trade desktop warranty, and while the computer I had bought was essentially new, it turns out to be a resale, but I don't think that makes a difference in how things went. Purchasing was very easy, of course, it came as a link to the vendor web page, and as I had a previous experience buying a Square Trade desktop warranty (for a used Mac), I realized it was a very good value compared to other options. Anyway, the desktop suddenly stopped working after 5 months - it wouldn't even turn on, and I had heard what was probably hard disk extra noise the 24 hours before, but I couldn't test it since it wouldn't power on at all. After trying alternate power outlets, etc., and confirming, I knew I would have to contact Square Trade to see what to do next. I was a little anxious about having to explain and cajole and negotiate and have to ship the machine somewhere, even though there is a recognized service company practically next to my house. While it wasn't a very large desktop, it was much bigger than a laptop. However, it was only in the $300-400 range. I first made a notice of potential claim via the Square Trade website, which was very straightforward to use. They acknowledged receipt and said I should hear within 48 hours, which I did. However, they had for some reason classified my machine as a laptop, which may have something to do with the price, but as a result I picked up the phone and called their 800 customer service number. I was pleasantly surprised to get through very quickly to an obviously informed and empowered representative, and after reading my claim and hearing me expound a bit more on what the situation was, determined that with the lower value on the product and that it was not a laptop, it did not pay to either send it in or have it reviewed locally, and simply said they would settle by refunding my purchase price. He sent me the form I needed to fill out and sign and send back, and after they registered receipt of that form, they credited my PayPal account for the full original price of my product. The money showed up on the next "payment processing date" for their operation - apparently they only process a couple of times a week to keep costs down, which I understand - but it came just when they said it would. You also have the option of having a check mailed, but that takes longer. As stated above, this was my second Square Trade Warranty purchase, and the only claim I have needed to make, but the smoothness and competence of the process left me very impressed compared with dealings I have had with other online vendors in the past. One does not purchase a warranty expecting (or hoping) to have to use it, but then when you need to, and it works so well, it does give you an extra feeling of satisfaction. I highly recommend that you consider Square Trade whenever you are in the market for an extended/enhanced warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs., November 26, 2013
Absolutely horrible experience dealing with this company.
I sent it in to have a cracked screen fixed, and after a month and a half with no progress, I called the company to get an update. I find out I won't be able to get my computer back, but they offered to send me my hard drive and a check to compensate for the rest. That's fine, s*** happens. I accept their offer. However, I receive an email shortly after stating that, as previously promised, they would NOT be returning my hard drive. Not fine, but there was nothing I could do.
As compensation for their screw-ups, they offered me a coupon code for 30% off my next warranty with them. As loathe as I was to ever have to deal with this company again, there was a fairly-priced warranty offered by the store where I bought my next computer that was through Squaretrade, so I decided to give them another try. When I try to purchase this new warranty, they initially wouldn't honor the 30% discount. I had to be on the phone for 40 minutes, put on hold for long stretches of time, to convince them to give me what they had promised.
Throughout this experience, I had to deal with representatives who were inept, apathetic, and unyielding in their efforts to deny me adequate customer service. I can't remember the last time I was ever as dissatisfied with a business's practices as I am with Squaretrade. Save yourself the headache and seek out a warranty from anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and simple, June 17, 2010
E. Studley (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
The screen on my laptop got broken. I submitted a claim and the next day I was told that I qualified for a full refund. Less then a week after I mailed the laptop to them with a prepaid ups label the company confirmed my claim and the full purchase price was put in my paypal account.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Service! Twice received prompt payment, February 1, 2010
Jose Paolo B. David "Tar Heel" (Chapel Hill, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I have around 10 of my electronic items covered by Square Trade and have experienced 2 of them proved defective within the 1st 2 years.

First was a portable DVD player purchase from Best Buy. Filed a claim with square trade and received my money back within a week. Best Buy would have probably charged me more and kept me waiting until they fix the item

The second item was a laptop, again purchased from Best Buy. Notice the theme here. I filed my claim with Square trade, printed out a prepaid shipping label, and got my money back credited to my Paypal Account within 6 days. That is tremendous service. I had purchased a Best Buy performance plan (which is 2x the amount I wouldve paid to get it covered by Square Trade) with one of my other laptops. When it broke within six months of purchase, I was given the run around for almost a month - leaving me without a computer for 25 days. It's not until we complained to the store manager that we received a replacement. However, since I purchased the first laptop on sale, my replacement was a lower spec laptop because Best Buy matches the price, not the spec. So beware buyers!

1.0 out of 5 stars Botched laptop repair, over 6 weeks and still waiting, no communication, lies and stall tactics., July 6, 2014
One of the selling points is 'Fixed or receive full replacement cost in 5 days or less - guaranteed' which was not my experience. I bought the full coverage for a laptop. The laptop suddenly would not boot to OS or go into BIOS so I started the process with square trade. The first time they had it for two week. There was no communication from them and I had to constantly call them to find out what was going on. Their web site updates claim status with a massive delay. It said 'waiting on shipment' for two weeks even though they confirmed on a call they had it. Then it said 'awaiting approval' when they had already shipped it. Finally they tell me that they got a new motherboard and I will get it back in a few days.

When I got it back the laptop had visible damage front and back, plastic chipped, dents and pry marks, and some parts are missing! They had not fixed the problems and they introduced new problems probably by hooking a cable backwards. Repair report shows that visible and functional inspection took place and was signed off. The repair report says the hard drive was replaced and no mention of motherboard. What a joke.

So back it goes to Squaretrade with a full report of all the existing and new problems. The second time they had it over two weeks and again no communication so I was calling theme every 2 days but they just keep telling me to call back later and cannot give an estimate on how long it will take to fix it. I find out that in the first week they have done nothing on it because of some internal mix up. They order parts on the 8th day but don't know when they will arrive. The second week they just keep saying parts are on order with no expected date of repair.

I got frustrated as I had now been without a working laptop of 6 weeks and ask to speak to a manager. I was on hold for over an hour and finally was told a manager was not available but one would call me with 24 hours. 48 hours later and no call so I call again. On hold for 1 hour 40 minutes! and again a manager is not available!!. The rep says he will speak with a manager and call me back in 24 hours. Another 48 hours and no call!!!

Finally after 5 days of trying to speak to a manager I get through to one and explain the situation from the start. I tell them I want the replacement cost money as they are taking so long with no end in sight, they have already botched the repair once, and I am wasting so much time calling them. He tells me I have to call back in 3 days because the repair depot is now closed and he needs a manager to approve the replacement cost money. Oh yeah, he's not a manager he just said he was one!! It's clear they have just been lying and employing stall tactics.

Currently in process with BBB.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laptop#`, February 2, 2010
Initiating warranty was simple. Action was rapid. Refund available in less than a week. No hassle just outstanding service. Have purchased additional warranties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to deal with., August 20, 2012
No problems. Easy does it. Polite friendly people. I would welcome the opportunity to do business with them in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love Square Trade!!!!!, October 12, 2010
I started signing up with Square Trade because of their reasonable prices. I was a bit nervous, since I've only used Best Buy's warranty service and never had tried a mail-in service before, but the difference in price was significant enough to take a chance with it.

I just filed a claim with Square Trade and received astoundingly good service. None of the nonsense that I'm used to from Geek Squad- e.g., waiting for hours at the Best Buy service counter for someone to pay attention to me, then being told the issue isn't covered, or it'll cost extra, it'll take 2-6 weeks to send the unit out for service, etc.

None of that crap when I dealt with Square Trade. To the contrary, I received INSTANT help, yes it's fully covered, INSTANT e-mail labels for the return, great response.

I'll never use Geek Squad again. I'm a Square Trade fan now. Seriously- these guys are the best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Square Trade doesn't stand by their plans, December 28, 2013
I purchased a Sony laptop through Amazon. I gave the laptop to my sister and transferred the Square Trade plan. There is a problem with the laptop, and Square Trade is doing everything possible to avoid honoring their plan. If you purchase something through Amazon, look for a better protection plan because Square Trade is useless.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed review, May 2, 2012
Glenn A. Buskirk (Maple Grove, MN USA) - See all my reviews
Laptop Warranty - 3 Year with ADH. The laptop died (wouldn't boot; blank screen) in the third year. Reported the claim to SquareTrade, and they promptly dispatched a shipping box. We sent them the laptop, and we were pleased when it returned to us about a week later. However, on opening the box, we saw that the laptop had been damaged in shipping. I fault the packing, and rough handling. We reported to SquareTrade and the repair depot, and they filed a shipping claim and sent UPS to pick up the computer again. Back it went. Another week or more later, and we received the computer again. Initial symptoms were still there; The computer would not boot. Called SquareTrade and sent it back again. They declared it uneconomical to repair, and offered a replacement laptop worth less than our cashout value, which we refused. Finally, SquareTrade paid the claim..the full purchase price, on a 3-yr old laptop. We got satisfaction in the end, but my son at college was without his computer for >6 wks. SquareTrade's offer of a refurb replacement was a practice they attribute to inferior rivals on their website. SquareTrade's Warranty Specialist should have spent more time advocating for me with their repair depot, and less time trying to manage my happiness through apologies. So our first claim (on 8 warranties purchased) was a mixed result.

Rate and Discover Movies