Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: SquareTrade 3-Year Fitness Protection Plan ($450 - 500)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Service plan term: 3 Years|Service plan covered value: $ 450-$500|Change
Price:$62.48+ Free shipping

on August 31, 2013
I purchased Squared Trade's 2 year extended warranty for a rowing machine that I purchased from Amazon.com. After three uses the stitching on the foot pedal began to come apart. I called Square Trade to see what they could do for me and they did nothing.

I spoke to a customer service rep (CSR) and I was told that any warranty issues had to be either handled by Amazon or the manufacturer. I told the CSR that on their page it says that the product is covered from the date of purchase. If you don't believe me, here's a link: B002OF8PXS

Rather than helping me the CSR continued ranting about the fine print in the agreement stating that the Square Trade extended warranty comes into effect after the manufacturer warranty expires. But then I was told, by a different CSR, that the extended warranty coincides with the current manufacturer warranty. So which is it?

I asked to speak to a manager and I was more confused then ever after speaking to him. I was told that the warranty does begin on the day of your purchase, but if for whatever reason the product is defective and still under Amazon or the manufacturer's warranty then it has to be handled by either party and not Square Trade.

Square Trade's warranty isn't an extended warranty at all because it coincides with the manufacturers warranty. You cannot call the warranty extended because the warranty does not begin once the manufacturer's warranty ends.

If you're thinking of purchasing the extended warranty, please think otherwise. From my experience Square Trade will make you jump through hoops when filing a claim.
22 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2012
Purchased this warranty when I bought a new exercise bike, filed for a warranty repair and they refused to fix or reimburse me for it. The frame on the bike broke and they said that the frame isn't covered. Last year I tried to file another claim with them because the bushings went out in the front wheel and they told me that it was part of the frame and I would have to contact the company which I did and they replaced the wheel. Seems everything is considered a frame to these people so it's not covered. Don't waste your money with this company, shop around there has to be better warranty companies out there.
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2015
I purchased this SquareTrade 3-year warranty about 1.5 years ago for a Schwinn 430 elliptical. A few days ago a screw of the handle bar was broken and stuck inside the bar hence I believe the whole bar needs to be replaced. I filed a claim with SquareTrade and was told the claim is denied. I asked the reason and was told that "the part was broken during usage hence it was an accident thus is not covered". I asked them, then, what is covered. They said that "only defect parts".

OK. So, if everything runs fine at the beginning, there will be no defect parts, hence afterward anything broken will be counted as "accident" and will be no coverage. They also refused to refund my warranty fully.

Good luck if you want to buy such a s***.
on August 6, 2015
I purchased this Exerpeutic Folding Bike on November 30th, 2014. I also purchased this SquareTrade Protection Plan in that same transaction (they sent it in a separate email about 90 minutes later... no registration or setup was required). While I loved the bike, I had three issues crop up in relatively short order. I suffered a broken pedal strap; broken pedal strap mount; and an odd whirring followed by a clicking noise with each revolution at intervals over “5” on the dial.

When the pedal apparatus broke, I called SquareTrade at (877) 927-7268 to see what they could do to resolve/repair the bike's issues. I'm pleased to say that the representative I spoke with (Anthony in Pakistan) was exceptionally kind and professional. I reported my concerns with the product, and after he asked me a brief series of questions (including tracking down the equipment's Serial Number, and emailing him a copy of the original electronic invoice), he determined that—as my bike's manufacturer's warranty had expired—I was due a full refund of the purchase price.

He presented three options for the credit. Note that tax was not refunded in any of these options:
1) I could receive the amount of my original purchase back via PayPal.
2) I could receive the amount of my original purchase back + 2% via an Amazon eGift card.
3) I could receive the amount of my original purchase back via Check (sent by snail mail).

I chose Option 2, as I fully intend to buy another bike from Amazon... getting back 2% on top of that was just icing on the cake. Once I notified the CSR of my preference, he emailed me an affidavit to sign and date. Anthony stayed on the line with me while I printed, scanned, and emailed it back to him. He put me on a brief hold to confirm accuracy and receipt and then confirmed moments later that we were all set. I was told that I should see the Amazon eCredit in my personal email account within 1-3 days.

This really has to be one of the best customer service experiences I've ever had. I’ll note that the wait/hold time to get to an agent was really long (10+ minutes), though their automated system did advise that I could alternately file my claim on their website (attached image). I always prefer to speak with an agent whenever possible, and I'm glad I did. As to those reviewers whose experiences were “less than positive,” I suspect that has a lot to do with frustration regarding the overlap period between when a product still under the maker's warranty and SquareTrade’s. I've been there too (with a vacuum from Target... don't get me started!)

All told, I spent $160.18 for the bike (including tax); $14.79 for the Warranty; and I should receive back an Amazon GC for $151.98… bringing my out-of-pocket expense for eight months of biking to $22.99. As I move forward with my decision on which bike to replace this one with, I will ABSOLUTELY be buying another SquareTrade warranty, I can only recommend that you do the same!

Update (08/14/15): A week went by and I hadn't yet seen my reimbursement. Yesterday evening, I contacted Anthony back via email, and he said that he would investigate. This morning, I had an email from SquareTrade with an Amazon credit code of $152.04.
review image
on June 26, 2014
I ordered a portable elliptical device here on Amazon and decided to purchase an extended warrantee with SquareTrade back in July 2011. Fast forward to June 2014 and the device broke. :( I called Square-trade to file a claim. Luckily i was still covered under my warrantee. I was emailed a prepaid return label to print out for the return of the broken fitness device. I shipped it. It was received. I was issued a refund for my full purchase price via Amazon gift card. And i just finished placing my order for a brand new replacement fitness device. I couldn't be more satisfied. I will definitely use SquareTrade again!

IT IS REAL! I noticed some other reviews expressing concern about not receiving any paper work after placing their protection plan. I will admit I was a little worried about that as well when I first placed the order but Its all done electronically. You can check your warrantee information at the site. And as a real customer who just received a full refund for my broken device I can assure you it is a real company and totally legit.
on January 12, 2013
May not be a great deal. I lowered the rating one star.

As someone else found out, this only covers up to the amount of the purchase item in total work. If you buy a $1000 you will only receive $1000 worth of service. The no lemon policy really doesn't apply and should be removed. They won't replace an item (or refund full purchase amount) if they have already done a $1000 in repair. I pulled out relevant parts of the contract to read.

***LIMIT OF LIABILITY:
The total amount that We will pay for repairs or replacement made in connection with all claims that You make pursuant to this Service Agreement shall not exceed the Coverage Amount of the Product. In the event that We make payments for repairs or replacements, which in the aggregate, are equal to the Coverage Amount, or provide a cash settlement reflecting the replacement cost of a new item of equal features and functionality, We will have no further obligations under this Service Agreement.

***NO LEMON POLICY: If Your Covered Product has three service repairs completed for the same problem, which repairs are covered by this Service Agreement, and a fourth such repair for the same problem occurs, as determined by Us, within any twelve (12) month period, the Covered Product will be replaced with a comparable product or a cash settlement for replacement provided. This cost of the replacement will not exceed the original Product's purchase price.
***WHAT TO DO IF A COVERED PRODUCT REQUIRES SERVICE:
File online at [...] or call us toll-free at 1-877 WARRANTY (1-877-927-7268) and explain the problem. We will attempt to troubleshoot the problem you are experiencing. If we cannot resolve the problem, you will be directed to an authorized service center.
Coverage Term: This is the years of coverage, varying from one (1) to five (5) year(s), you receive under this Service Agreement, starting on the Coverage Start Date which begins after any Waiting Period. The Service Agreement is inclusive of any US manufacturer's warranty that may exist during the Coverage Term. It does not replace the manufacturer's warranty, but provides certain additional benefits during the term of the manufacturer's warranty. This term of this Agreement is extended for the duration of any time that the item is being repaired under this Service Agreement.

***WHAT IS NOT COVERED:
Manufacturer defects or equipment failure which is covered by manufacturer's warranty, manufacturer's recall, or factory bulletins (regardless of whether or not the manufacturer is doing business as an ongoing enterprise);

***Original Review****

After my last failure several days ago (a Sole elliptical break smoking) I ordered a new elliptical and planned on ordering the extended warranty. Most of the more expensive equipment offers multi-year parts replacement standard, but only 1 year labor.

I waited to see what would come in the box in the new elliptical for extended warranty options and there was none. Back to Amazon to order the extended warranty from Square trade. I have never used Square Trade before, but heard enough good about them to purchase.

About an hour or two after placing the order you receive an email from Square Trade where you can register the coverage. I am pretty sure this is not required. It will be more time spent later if you have a problem, just keep all your documentation. When I clicked the link in the e-mail I made an account. Amazon already transferred my address to them. When the sited asked me to register my elliptical I couldn't find an option for Exercise equipment. I just selected "other electronics" or something and put in my model number.

Then you can e-mail Square trade a copy of your receipt (put a confirmation number in the subject of your e-mail). There are instructions once you sign into the Square Trade web site (Manage My Receipts). I think you can also just forward the order confirmation e-mail from Amazon or other supplier and put the confirmation number in the subject. I made a PDF using CutePDF by going to my order history on Amazon's web site and then e-mailed it to them. This way if I need to use the service a year from now I don't need to mess with the receipt.

Also, another reviewer said this was for 4 years of coverage. I am pretty sure it is just to extend the manufacture coverage to a full 3 years. My coverage is only to January 2016 (order Jan 2013) based on the Square trade web site.

I will update my review if I have ever use the coverage.
Do they process your claims and handle them with care? Who knows?! Good luck on their website. But hey, you'll have better luck trying to file a claim on their website than getting someone on the phone who knows anything about anything. Oh sure, you can talk to an operator in some foreign land who apparently isn't sure what protection plans actually are. After 10 or so minutes of pulling teeth, you'll finally be transferred over to the claims department (let me save you a tiny bit of time by cutting out the middle man: Claims - 877-900-7283). There you will sit on hold for half an hour while they tell you there's an unusually high amount of calls (every time, every day). EVENTUALLY you are given the option to have them call you back when their line frees up. They won't call you back, but you'll momentarily feel better for having "accomplished" SOMETHING. Then you'll try it all again next week, hoping beyond hope like a battered spouse that this time... this time it'll be different...
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2014
The Square Trade people are nice on the phone, but their web site is not that good and they didn't do what they said they'd do. Also, I had to call my registration in because their web site just wouldn't work. Then, I had to call back a few weeks later because their site failed to elaborate what was covered on my piece of gym equipment (it can only be listed under "Other Electronic" and does not state when the end date is, only the start date.) This seems half-assed. Furthermore, they wanted to start my warranty when I ordered the equipment from Amazon, not when it arrived at my home a week later. I had to email them proof of when it was delivered. This to me is unacceptable. I can only imagine how much of a hassle it will be to actually get my piece of gym equipment fixed should it break.

So far, even without filing a claim, Square Trade has not been reliable or trustworthy and their site is poorly laid out (how hard could it be to have a category for gym equipment / elliptical machine under $500.)?
on September 30, 2015
I brought a treadmill one year ago. The motor recently stopped working.
When I called, was told that the company would not honor their end of the warranty and was only willing to offer me my money back.
Thankfully, ProForm (Motor warrantied for 25 years) and AMEX (AMEX offers a *FREE* extended warranty for anything bought with their card) stepped up and did the right thing.
Skip the SquareTrade warranty and just call your credit card company. You'll save money and needless aggravation.
on December 4, 2013
BEWARE! I purchased this for a piece of fitness equipment bought off Amazon. #1 be very careful of the protection plan you choose. Under the item for $515 you will see "Other People bought this" 300-400$ coverage. $500-1000 coverage. Make sure you get the right one.

Next, make sure you get protection. There is a reason this Protection Plan averages 1 star ! I purchased new equipment March 4th, 2013. By Nov 30, 2013 it broke. Treadmill deck (part under the moving belt). Manufacturer says, "we only cover belt, motor and frame for 5 years". So I call Square Trade. "we only cover electronics and the frame" -

"So, you took my money - even though you dont cover ANYTHING other than the manufacturers coverage??? Are you kidding me?" The only reason I gave them 2 stars is because when I stated the above comment, they offered immediately to refund my purchase.

They did state that if I wanted it covered I could have bought the Damage Protection Plan, or something. I would avoid this at all costs. As for the PRO-FORM 6.0...

So, here's the deal. Give them money. No problems, they keep your money. You have a problem? You get your money back. Good deal? No.