5.0 out of 5 stars Great Customer Service
I have purchased Square Trade warranties on my Toshiba Thrive, both Fire HDs, and my paperwhite. I can't remember the specifics on calling into speak with customer service on my thrive, but I remember being happy with the outcome. They answered my questions and I purchased the warranty.

Recently, my fire hd disappeared and I thought it was stolen. I bought a...
Published 22 months ago by Just Theo

2.0 out of 5 stars Hope I can get my money back!
Published 20 months ago by D. B. Diederich

2.0 out of 5 stars Hope I can get my money back!, December 10, 2012
This review is from: 2-Year SquareTrade Warranty plus Accident Protection for Kindle Fire HD 7" (Previous Generation) (Accessory)
Purchased a Square Trade 2 year warranty on 12-09-2012 the same time I ordered a new Kindle HD 7". I received two emails from Square Trade asking me to register my warranty. When I clicked their link in the email, the website said the product was registered to a different email address - other than the one they sent my email to? Right. The website requested I call an 800 number.
So on 12-10-2012 I called the 800 number, which routes to a foreign country, whereabouts unknown. The operator who eventually answered did not speak or comprehend English very well. She requested the phone number given at the time the warranty was purchased. I told her I did not give a phone number since the purchase was online at Amazon.com but tried to give her my phone number. She was not able to understand the numbers, even though I speak slowly and very clearly. At this point I can't imagine that the process to file a claim is ever going to be any easier than trying to register the warranty, and decide to try to get my money back.

I have applied to Return this item and hope I will get my money back through Amazon and will update if I do or don't. My advice? Do NOT purchase a warranty for your Kindle and handle with care.
UPDATE: In response to my request to Return this item I received email from Square Trade that my Kindle is covered by warranty and I can call the 800 number if I ever have a problem.
UPDATE 12-20-2012: Amazon processed my Return.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Customer Service, October 28, 2012

Recently, my fire hd disappeared and I thought it was stolen. I bought a new one and called cs to see if I could transfer the warranty to the new fire hd. CS explained since it wasn't a replacement fire hd (that amazon or themselves didn't actually replace it) but rather a purchase, they could not transfer the warranty. However, he was able to cancel the warranty on the 'stolen' fire so that I could purchase a new warranty. He advised this way I would have coverage from the first date of purchase for the new fire. They processed this quickly and I was able to purchase my new warranty and bind it to the new fire hd.

Then a few days later, I found my lost fire hd. I purchased a new warranty and then realized that the warranty was technically outside the 30 day purchase window for the old fire hd. I called customer service and they understood what happened and were able to make a one time exception since I had originally purchased it in the 30 day window. He was able to bind it to my old fire hd and that was that.

Any time I have called, they have answered my questions, fixed problems within minutes of the call. No long waits for answers etc. They remind me of Amazon customer service.

As for recommending this product, I would recommend an accidental warranty on any device that gets carried around. I don't do them on things like tvs, desktop computers, etc. But I always get them on nice phones, tablets, laptops because I do tend to drop things. I have used the one on my laptop 3 times (from another company).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, December 23, 2012
My toddler dropped my Kindle and the glass broke. Square Trade sent a replacement, no questions asked. Money well spent on the warranty!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 9, 2013
I didn't realize that this covers 2 extra years on top of the factory warrenty for a total of 3 years of coverage. My kindle fire HD 7" had a nick on the screen that turned into a full blow crack that goes completely across the front longways and is halfway down from top to bottom. I called amazon and they are sending me another kindle fire free of charge, 2 day shipping on it is free, and they emailed me a shipping label for free return shipping on my broken kindle with 30 full days for me to return it. Fantastic customer service.

2.0 out of 5 stars Amazon needs to review its vendor, December 18, 2012
UPDATE - Actual resolution, February 2013 (written on 23 August 2013)

I have to apologize for waiting so long to update this.

I gave the company an extra star (so now they have two) because they did transfer the warranty to my nephew (still under the age of 18) but..... it took almost two months to get this done. That meant a lot of back and forth, phone calls, etc that made me wish I had just asked for my money back. Instead, I gave them the opportunity to make it right.

So, while I gave my nephew the Kindle Fire for Christmas, he didn't receive the warranty until sometime in late February. While I did give this product a second star, they really need to provide an option to gift this to another person, by allowing you to enter the name of the recipient, at the point of sale.

UPDATE - 26 Dec 2012 -

So apparently, SquareTrade didn't like my feedback - I left them the exact same review that you see below (marked "original review"). I got an email from the person I spoke to on the phone - the same person who I had spoken to on the phone (by the way, what I failed to mention below is that while I was verbally told I could transfer the warranty to a minor, I was told to call back after the minor had registered the device. How nice.).

The email said the following (copied verbatim):
Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused. We appreciate you taking the time to offer your comments. Rest assured, your message has been forwarded on to the appropriate members of our team for review. We believe that feedback from customers like you is an important part of our ongoing commitment to providing a quality service. Once again I sinserly apologize for inconvenience caused. Hope that answers your question! We believe that feedback from customers like you is an important part of our ongoing commitment to providing a quality service. Thank you,

Aside from the typo, my issue was not addressed, my question was not answered and I was left angrier than if they had skipped the email. I responded that no, my question hadn't been answered and now I didn't know who/what to believe. No response.

I received a voice mail from SquareTrade the next day - an apology for the confusion but no offer to actually ANSWER the question. Two days later, I received the warranty in the mail with MY name on it! Why on earth would you mark this as a gift if you can't actually gift the darn thing??

I'm moving to get my money back and hope that my nephew never, ever drops the darn thing. Save your money and your time and get a different warranty from a different vendor!

------ (original review below)
First, I purchased this warranty as part of a gift (I checked the "gift" box during checkout) along with the Kindle Fire HD for my nephew. I then received, in my inbox, the warranty along with a "congratulations on your new Kindle Fire HD and warranty". Um, no, it's a GIFT.

Second, when I asked SquareTrade how to transfer the warranty to my nephew, I was told that I had to create an account to then transfer the warranty. FOR A GIFT.

Third, I was then informed by SquareTrade that I couldn't transfer a warranty to a minor. Gee, don't you think you should have disclosed that BEFORE I purchased the warranty? Fine, my sister-in-law will be the not-so-happy recipient of a warranty for a device owned by her son.

Fourth, after creating the account to transfer the warranty, I discover that I can't transfer it - I have to call a special 1-800 number to do so because the warranty is for a Kindle.

Fifth, I call the 1-800 number and am told that the process I was told to follow is incorrect and that you can transfer a warranty to a minor. Now I have no clue what to believe and I still don't have the warranty in the correct name.

This process stinks and had I known how onerous it would be, I would have skipped it altogether. I seriously hope my nephew doesn't ever need to use this warranty because I can't even imagine how hard it would be to get his device fixed! Amazon, please review your vendors!

2.0 out of 5 stars Why does this say accident coverage? It Doesn't cover accidents!, January 6, 2013
Got my warrenty in the mail today for 2 year warrenty and ACCIDENT protection for my Kindle Fire HD.

When reading the warranty I discover that no accidents are covered!!!It looks like they do not cover anything! An accident is an accident, but the way it's written they can use their discretion and say you did the damage intentionally.

Maintenance, repair, or replacement neccessitated by loss or damage resulting from any cause other than normal use and operation of product in accordance with the manufaturer's specifications and owners manual, including but not limited to exposure to weather conditions, failure to properly clean, maintain product, operator negligence, misuse, abuse, improper electical/power supply....on and on....Cosmetic damage to case cabinetry or other non operating parts or components which does not affect the functionality or the covered product.

The service agreement including ADH does not provide protection against theft, loss, reckless, intentional, or abusive conduct associated with handeling and use of the product, cosmetic damage and/or other damage that doesn't affect unit functionality, or damage caused during shipment betweenyou and Our service providers.

*****Basically they have covered their butts and will not cover anything. This is a big money maker for them....because it looks like nothing is really covered. I would love to hear from anyone that has had to make a claim, to find out how it was handled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Warranty, October 18, 2012
Bill Shepson (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This warranty covers everything it needs to cover, and when you sign up, they send you a well-written explanation of the coverage, and it is effective immediately, and then in the mail you get a confirmation letter detailing everything too. It's great coverage at a great price and totally worth adding to your Kindle Fire HD 7", as I did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, November 5, 2012
Anita (Wichita, Ks, United States) - See all my reviews
Currently have three warranties in place with them. Have a reoccuring problem with my kindle keyboard that they keep insisting is still working and they can't replace. They are right it is still working but the problem keeps happening and I think I have a right to expect my kindle to work perfectly all the time or I should get a replacement. Very disappointed in them. Next time I will by a cheaper kindle that I can afford to replace myself and not buy worthless warranties.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Was A Five Minute Customer, December 27, 2012
I gave two stars because Customer Service was polite and agreeable.
I went to the Square Deal site because I had read an article stating that, if you have another warranty with Square Deal, they will often offer a discount. I purchased a warranty for the monitor I gave my husband for Christmas last year, so I thought it was worth a call. They did, indeed, offer me a five dollar reduction. They also stated that purchasing a warranty through Amazon requires it be done within 30 days. The site will sell the warranty up to 90 days after purchase. That sounded fine and, after all, five dollars is five dollars. I gave the product information and credit card number to make the purchase and had my warranty in my e-mail within five minutes.
Having warranty in hand, so to speak, I proceeded to read it. Imagine my surprise when I found that I had paid $49.99 for $99.99 worth of coverage. In other words, I'd get back $50 if I made a claim on a $249 device. There is no sliding scale for depreciation. All the information of the policy was repeated back to me-the cost, that it covered spills, dropping crushing, etc. She didn't mention what is on the Amazon site-coverage for the general manufacturer's type warranty provided by Amazon for one year does not kick in from Square Deal until the second year.
My issue: I spoke with Customer Service for ten minutes about coverage. At no time did "Louise" mention the value of my purchase. I didn't think to ask. I have a feeling I'm not in the minority. I think the omission was deliberate and I resent it. Now, knowing it in advance, people reading this review might decide that it is a reasonable deal and gladly pay the price. I might do the same after reading this. However, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
When I called to cancel, I received the cancellation e-mail immediately while I held on to find out when the refund would post (3-5 business days). No immediate cancellation of charges, despite the policy was in effect for five minutes.
If the coverage is glaringly obviously printed somewhere, I missed it. If you did, too, I hope this helps you make a more informed decision regarding warranty coverage.

5.0 out of 5 stars SquareTrade - Quickest and Best in Warranty Service, December 19, 2012
NY Whitesox (Schenectady, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Unfortunately, I've had to file two claims with SquareTrade in the past year. One for a fried up laptop hard drive and another for a Kindle e-Reader. From the time I contacted SquareTrade regarding the damaged laptop to the time it came back to me in perfectly renewed condition could not have been more than a week. As for the damaged Kindle, SquareTrade issued me an Amazon gift card (plus 5% over the original warranty amount) within 3 days of informing them. Of course, as soon as we purchased and received the replacement Kindle Fire HD we immediately purchased a SquareTrade Warranty because of our flawless previous experiences with them.

Rate and Discover Movies