5.0 out of 5 stars The Title Is No Exaggeration
First, a couple of caveats. This is a book for intermediate level and above lifters. You must be beyond the stage of making predictable daily progress, you must have good technique for the basic barbell lifts (squat, deadlift, overhead and bench press, etc), you must be able to calculate a fairly accurate 1 rep max. This is not a book about body building or machine based...
Published 10 months ago by Eric C. Peters

3.0 out of 5 stars Ponderous and desperately in need of a good editor
Matthew Perryman is a very smart guy, and has an easy writing voice. Unfortunately for the rest of us, he also has a penchant for slowly reasoning out loud, taking philosophy in directions that it doesn't really go, relying on metaphor over science a bit too often, and in general, not believing that ten words suffice if a hundred will do.

There's also a...
Published 10 months ago by D N

5.0 out of 5 stars Very thought provoking and inspiring, April 22, 2013
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
This book is fantastic for everyone who thinks about their training. I am a fan of HIT for it's efficiency, but I am always willing to question it and this books helps to reconsider most of weight training dogmas. I am not going to implement the programme laid out in the book now, as I am not really willing to commit that much. Honestly, first thing I would try if HIT didn't work would be laid-out periodised programme by Brad Schoenfeld, which calls for usually about 3x a week frequency. That said, this is a good option and I believe it can bring tremendous results. Certainly great read for everyone knees deep in any one commercial theory of lifting and for everyone who likes to think about thinking and life. This book is more about how we make choices and how average people percieve biology and complexities of our body and try to fit them in a training chart, which is not really possible.
Question for the author: What is the "best" way to train if you want to invest 3-4 hours a week at most?:-) Would you use the same intuitive approach?

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so much a program as a principle... Go, be, squat, repeat..., April 1, 2014
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
I was intrigued by the very idea of this book, and a full reading only confirmed my hunch. This is, I dare say, an essential book for anyone interested in weightlifting as more than an excuse to socialize at the gym or as a way to get six-pack abs. It is for anyone who is bored with past programs and just wants a reason to train, without all the faddish buzz words and competing strategies. It is also for novice lifters because it sets the right tone: the weight is not the enemy, it is a tool. Also, Perryman repeats a lesson too often ignored by those obsessed more with gains than discipline: bad workouts are inevitable and they are not the end of the world.

Again, Perryman paints with a broader stroke than some might like, but I think it's vital to have a clear, passionate grasp of the big picture. If you want to be good at simply racking up numbers, then you can find any number of micromanaged programs. If, however, you want to be good at the art and sport of weightlifting, then the bottom line is, you need to lift weights. Don't stifle the healthy addiction of handling heavy weights. Ride the wave, trust your instincts, get under the bar, keep records, and don't confuse getting hardened with that bogey called overtraining. If you love something then you'll do it. If you love weightlifting, don't be afraid to challenge your body to adapt to frequent athletic prowess.

I love this book and have begun implementing its principles (bbedu. blogspot. com). The icing on top is that Perryman is an elegant writer and a fellow student of philosophy. Read this book with an open mind and, if nothing else, take away from it what we all know is essential but hate to admit: Go Squat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, March 21, 2014
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
I have been training on and off for four years. Over the last two months, I have converted to this method.
I felt that this is an essential and beautiful training book.
The last chapter is the best part of this book. buy it, read it, and go squat

4.0 out of 5 stars great book, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
Very good book. I like the logic behind it. I grew up working on farms and tossing around wire hay bales every day and i got pretty strong. This takes the farm to he gym for us city folk..

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was expecting, but good book for people who have put in at least 10 yrs of dedicated training., January 24, 2014
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on my Kindle and the book got really great at the 80% mark. The last 20% of the book was extremely insightful and if you are considering purchasing this book, I advise you to go ahead an buy it just to read the last 20% of the book.

I was expecting a template or a program to follow, and I guess I was wrong to expect that. There are no written templates in the book and there probably shouldn't be. The Author lays out a ton of theory and a ton of info based on his experience.

THIS BOOK IS SO VALUABLE BECAUSE...

If you have been strength training (and I mean "training") seriously for any length of time, you have already figured out that 90% of what you read in the Magazines (Flex, Muscle & Fitness, Mens Health), 90% of what you see on TV (P90X, Crossfit, etc.), and nearly 100% of what the Western World (read: USA) believes about "fitness" or building muscle or losing weight...IS COMPLETE GARBAGE.

This book is valuable because if you have put 10 years or so into strength training, you have learned things about recovery and getting stronger that no one else knows, or that no one else is saying, and everything you know goes completely against the mainstream. BUT, Matt just wrote an entire book laying out what your last 10 years of hard training has taught you.

At this point in your career, you know "what" works, you just don't quite know "why" it works. Matt goes a long way in explaining the science (and even the randomness) behind the "why."

When I'm in shape, I already train 4-6 times a week, usually squatting 2x per week, and training the posterior chain 3-5x per week so I don't think squatting every day will be a stretch for me.

The problem I have with this book is that after reading it, I don't have a template to follow. Matt didn't do all the work for me and make me a cookie cutter plug and play routine that I can start mindlessly following.

And I think that is a major point to his book. I've got 10+ yrs of lifting under my belt and shouldn't need Matt to hold my hand, just like I didn't need Louie Simmons to babysit me when I finally made the switch to Westside some 10 years ago.

The tagline to the title says, "Thoughts on over training, recovery, and strength training." That word "thoughts" really should have clued me in, but all I saw was "SQUAT EVERY DAY" and thought there would be less theory and more about how to put theory to practice.

In the end, I feel guilty about only giving this book 3 stars because it truly is a great book. I feel that there really wasn't a lot of "meat" to the book. It kind of reads like a really, really, really, great blog post. One of those blog posts that are really just a marketing page that peaks your interest and then at the end they place a link where you can buy the product. Except there is no link at the end of this book where you can actually go LEARN what to do if you want to start squatting every day.

That's why I only give 3 stars, but it really is unfair for me to do that because the simple answer is...GO SQUAT EVERY DAY, and see what works. You really don't need more than that.

IMPORTANT POINTS THAT THE AUTHOR MAKES:
1) Ease into any new program, and he discusses the best methods for doing this.

2) Most of what we think matters doesn't really matter. Only 2 things really contribute to your strength training success.

In the last 20% of the book the author talks about diet, genetics, what makes the Russians so great at Olympic Lifting, how to make your training better, and some really interesting psychology. This section makes the book worth buying.

3) The benefits to your body of training every day.

4) Why current methods of training and recovery are actually less safe than more frequent training.

That's about all I have to say about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you lift heavy, read this book, January 10, 2014
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
Gone are the days where you would train legs or chest, etc, 1x per week. Matt gives an awesome perspective of the modern day workout, and why movement is king.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging..., January 8, 2014
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book looking for information about lifting heavy and lifting everyday. It was certainly motivational. I also found it pointed me in new directions looking for answers to workout scheduling, sets, reps, and weights etc. At times the book is a bit too "new age" for my taste, but it makes you think about what you are doing and why you are doing it. To sum up: if you are looking for encouragement to lift very heavy every day this is a great place to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book and it opened my eyes to a new way to train, January 3, 2014
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
I've been squatting and benching everyday for about two months now. I had the thought to try this before I got the book and the book got me to give it a try. It has been successful. However, you have to be very strict with good form otherwise I can see where you'd end up with a repetitive use type of injury - I'm talking about external rotation in the shoulders when pressing to keep them in a stable pressing position, not letting your knees track out over your toes squatting, etc. I'd highly recommend Kelley Starrett's book "becoming a supple leopard" to ensure that you are performing the bench and squat in a way that will keep you injury free. I banged up my shoulders and lower back a great deal training over the years before getting a better understanding of how I could prevent that from Starrett's book. And I think because of that, I've experienced what the author of this book suggests - fewer injuries squatting and pressing everyday with steady increases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on overtraining, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
This is a great read. Goes in to good depth on the physiological and especially psychological aspects of overtraining and if such a thing exists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradigm-shift going on?, December 4, 2013
This review is from: Squat Every Day (Kindle Edition)
Going against the grain of modern science within weightlifting. Train more often and less excercies should be the best "medicine".

ARRAY(0xd81099c0)