Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Squid and Octopus: Friends for Always
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

79%
21%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 26, 2012
I am a school librarian and chose this book as a read-aloud for the first week of school for my 2nd and 3rd grade classes. They loved it, especially the side conversations going on in the background. Some of the language was new to them, such as "quarrel" and "muse," which afforded opportunities to think about what the words might mean and make inferences based on the story, surrounding words, pictures, or each other's prior knowledge. It's a little tricky as a read-aloud because of the small details and words that are hard to see from far away, though we did have fun with it anyway. It's probably better suited to reading with just a couple of children up close and having them follow along with the words or read the side conversations themselves. There is a lot to discover in the pictures and lots to talk about in each story, making this a great book to share with a special young friend or two.
on February 27, 2015
This was a Christmas present for my 3 year old son who is obsessed with colossal squid and octopus (thanks Octonauts!). For his birthday he got an octopus stuffed animal, then for Christmas he got this and a colossal squid stuffed animal ( Plush Giant Squid 20" ). This book combines everything he loves and brings it to life in his imagination. We read this book almost every night. The artwork is fantastic and the stories are quite cute. My son has basically memorized all the funny asides written for the background characters. It's a very unique book and I highly recommend it for any kids into sea life.
on July 18, 2012
Tao Nyeu presents four short stories in her latest picture book about two BFFs, or make that FFAs (Friends for Always). The first story starts with a spat, as the two friends disagree on a chilly day whether socks or mittens should be worn on tentacles. Not a problem for most readers, but then we're not cephalopods. The second story offers a surprise. When Squids dreams he has X-ray vision, readers get to lift the flap to see what's going on inside a giant submarine cruise ship. Story number three, "The Hat," is the strongest of the bunch. Octopus finds a cowboy boot and decides it's a hat. His confidence in his choice wilts as other sea creatures see the boot as a vase, flowerpot, and doorstop. Luckily Squid shares his friend's vision. In the final story, the pair imagine what the fortune in their cookie holds for them.

Nyeu creates a whimsical world for the friends to inhabit. Her silkscreen illustrations, in subdued pastel hues, are intricate and full of surprises. Beginning readers will pour over the witty details and asides, such as a pair of lobsters gossiping over bowls of soup. ("So I heard Lucy molted the other day." "You don't say!")

Squid and Octopus is a charming addition in the long tradition of fictional duos.
on October 7, 2014
This book is so whimsically drawn and has sweet stories. I really liked it, and was pleasantly surprised to even see a die cut included it. However, my nearly 4 year is still getting used to the idea that we don't read every book cover to cover every bedtime - so the multiple story format is something he's getting used to. His attention also started to waiver a little, so I may put this on the shelf and revisit in another month or two.
on March 19, 2015
Such a cute and silly book. No matter what Squid and Octopus go through, they always remember that they are friends, and they learn from their disagreements. A good one to help teach about friendship- especially for preschoolers.
on November 6, 2013
Nyeu's adorable pictures and heartfelt stories give children as young as 4 guidance and suggestions in dealing with difficulties such as bad dreams and fashion decisions. Not only is it a fun book to read, thanks to the excitement that these friends share, but it's also a fun one to look at thanks to the beautiful illustrations and layouts.
on April 11, 2013
Oh my goodness, I LOVE this book. I love the artwork, I love the four little mini-stories, I love the quality of it! My daughter, who is 2, won't sit through it, but that is no determining factor for us since she won't sit through ANY books. I imagine as she gets older it will be a favorite. Wouldn't change a thing about it.
BTW, we don't celebrate holidays in our household, and I was relieved to find that there is no mention of any in the stories, including birthdays and such.
on April 5, 2013
Cute book with several short stories, all with some sort of 'be a good friend' message. My 6-year-old loved it. The illustrations are fun and include extra little text areas which my daughter had fun finding.
on January 22, 2013
I bought this book for my daughter. She's 31 and a biologist. Although not age appropriate, this is the cutest book ever. She is saving it to read to her future offspring. It is so-o-o-o cute.
By the way, I am a school librarian.
I made an 8ft stuffed squid for my nephew and an octopus for my neice this year. I was delighted to find a book about both and even more excited how cute it is. I have purchased 2 of these for gifts. I love the illustrations and the stories.