5.0 out of 5 stars a truly honest and practical guide

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much help
Published 8 months ago by Conor Leahy

5.0 out of 5 stars a truly honest and practical guide, July 9, 2000
M. Gallagher (Tacoma, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Squirrel Wars: Backyard Wildlife Battles & How to Win Them (Paperback)
Finally, someone has published a guide to dealing with my backyard foes. For years, master gardners, nursery workers, etc. have told me there was absolutely nothing I could do to protect my flowerbeds and bird feeders from squirrels, pesky birds and roaming cats. After reading this book, I know what works and what doesn't. This book not only tells me what to do, I now have some good insight into what's going on in the minds of those little critters (I wish more authors would do this). Yeah!!
My only complaint: the title is a little misleading. I got this book so I could deal with squirrels. This book covers many more backyard critters than squirrels such as cats, crows, deer, raccoons, and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Squirrel Wars Too?, July 8, 2000
By A Customer
An invaluable book for any homeowner who's ever had problems with squirrels (enemy number one), rabbits, racoons, skunks, possums, deer, cats, rats, dogs, even birds, etc. Each section is dedicated to solving a problem with your animal of choice. And that's just it. It could have easily been called "skunk wars" or any other "animal wars" mentioned in this book. I guess he chose squirrels because they seem to be the most persistant animals to invade our backyard. They are truly clever. However, there's another "Squirrel Wars" book that deals with squirrels only, written in 1996, and the author's attempt to outwit them from raiding his birdfeeders. It's funny and serious. I highly recommend both Squirrel Wars. Enjoy while learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid practical information, March 2, 2010
This 2000 (year) book is chock full of practical information to save your garden from the invasion of local wildlife. Unlike many books, it does not promise a sure cure. Instead, alternatives are offered for each garden pest.

For instance when dealing with Squirrels, the author states in the opening sentence "Public Enemy Number One in America's backyards is a one-pound busybody wiht industrial-strength teeth and a luxuriously bushy tail: the gray squirrel." Harrison goes on to explain why the squirrel is so numerous and provides a few stories of their legendary staying power. Since the stories are happening to someone else you can feel free to laugh and sympathize. Harrison then provides a list of solutions for ridding your yard of these happy little pests. One interesting solution for a bird feeder involved tying a toy Slinky to the top of a pole and letting it hang down the pole. The squirrel attempts to climb up and is dumped to the ground.

The rest of the book deals with raccoons, house cats, deer, bears, rabbits, skunks, chipmunks, hawks, rats, bully birds, wood chucks, opossums, woodpeckers and insects.

This book is worth buying used if you can't find a new copy! The solutions are common sense and most cost very little to try.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Must" reading for backyard gardeners & wildlife enthusiasts, July 3, 2000
Many favorite wildlife species wreck havoc on backyard gardens: Squirrel Wars tells how to solve a range of problems, from birds which raid bird feeders and squirrels which are geniuses at food to creatures which nest in chimneys and dig holes in lawns. Deer, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, skunks and opossums are covered, with some remedies more effective than others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wildlife Viewing Up Close and Personal, September 5, 2011
Jill Bemis "Penandtome" (St. Paul, Minnesota USA) - See all my reviews
Model wildlife habitat attracts wild behavior.

***

Author George H. Harrison is a lifelong nature observer who used his experience from his work with the National Wildlife Federation and as editor at "National Wildlife" to author several award winning wildlife articles. In this book, he takes a close look at the repercussions owners suffer when unwelcome guests of the fur-bearing variety visit their homes, lawns, and property. Harrison's practical tips and inventions will help discourage squirrels, deer, rabbits, skunks, and other less desirable wildlife from taking up permanent residence. Ranging from inexpensive homemade to store bought devices, it is a battle of wits between invader and homeowner. If the reader doesn't find the battles humorous, at least the reader will know they have some options to try when the varmints come calling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Squirrel Wars: Not Just Squirrels, March 8, 2007
The book says Squirrel Wars but it's a book about keeping other creatures out of your yard/garden as well. I was hoping it would be more comprehensive but since it gives tips on other creatures, I thought it had more value. Haven't gotten thru the whole book yet...too busy trying to salvage the bulbs that survived the squirrel attacks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not much help, April 4, 2014
I bought this hoping that it would teach me how to keep squirrels from stealing and destroying my garden vegetables. It doesn't. It only goes into how to keep them away from bird feeders. And the author's anti-cat bias is so obvious it made me angry. Cats, according to him, need to be trapped and taken to the pound "where they will be taken care of," which means killed, since feral cats can't be adopted out. Yet hawks, which even the author agrees kills more songbirds than cats do, are "only doing what comes naturally," and we should learn to live with them. And there's no mention of how outdoor cats keep the number of disease-carrying rodents down.

I still don't know how to keep squirrels from destroying my harvest.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book for those lucky enough to live close to nature, April 9, 2013
I live in the wild countryside, visited daily by mammals of all shapes and sizes.
This book helped me live comfortably with those creatures who are attracted to m gardens.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, December 23, 2011
Recieved in great condition an timelya topic that is entertaining as well as informative.would recommendthis read for any one that has ever spent any time combating they tricks of a friendly rhodent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The endless war, May 7, 2014
A gag gift for my husband but enough to keep him busy even though the squirrel will always win in the end

Squirrel Wars: Backyard Wildlife Battles & How to Win Them
Squirrel Wars: Backyard Wildlife Battles & How to Win Them by George H. Harrison (Paperback - February 1, 2006)
$14.95 $10.78