Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Squishy Turtle and Friends (Cloth Books)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on May 6, 2011
You've probably noticed a lot of the "complaints" are that Amazon ships this book in the "short" version form. Well, that's not Amazons fault. Priddy books started back in like 2002 or 03 and each of their books (Turtle, Bee, Chick) had about 10 pages of fun animal characters that included cute rhymes, tactile features, and fun sounds. Apparently, in 2007 or so they re-did the books and took them all down to 6 pages (some think it was a copyright issue, others say it was for safety reasons). So whether you buy this from Amazon or your nearby book store (ie Barnes and Noble) you're going to wind up with the "cheaper quality," short version.

Knowing this was a possibility I bought it anyway because there are still some good reviews for the shorter version. Now, I wish I hadn't bought it. Sure, the colors are bright and it's a cute book that baby enjoys (which is the only reason it gets 3 stars, my review would only be 2). But the threading around the turtle started coming off after just an hour or so of play. The only page that makes any noise is the cover (it's just the standard crinkly noise all cloth book covers seem to make). The tactile (whale string, seahorse fin) are too small for my 6 month olds hands (or maybe eyes) to reach (or care about). He only enjoys this book for the same reasons he enjoys any other cloth book. It's nothing special, and for $10.00 I wish I had chosen a Lamaze book instead. The Lamaze books I've seen have more pages and more tactile options. Also, they tell a story that connects all the characters together. But for some strange reason they have lower ratings on here. From now on I'll try not to be fooled by high ratings and go with a product/brand name I know is good quality.

Hope this helps!
0Comment|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 29, 2004
We received "Squishy Turtle and Friends" as a Christmas present for our 9 month old and it is one of his favorite books -- and mine too. Each sea creature is interestingly textured and the short, 2 line rhymes on each of the 8 pages are clever and I actually enjoy reading them out loud. Of course, he loves to linger on each page and feel the terry cloth starfish or pull back the pink plastic oyster shell, revealing a pearl. I found myself going crazy over some of the silly rhyming books I was reading over and over, and while he doesn't appreciate the cleverness of the rhymes in Squishy Turtle, I can, and that makes a big difference!
"Little fish with shiny scales
are fleeing from alarming whales!"
Doesn't get much better than that. And finally, it's a cloth book, so he can eat it when we get finished reading it!
on August 25, 2007
I bought this book for my newborn because I wanted her to grow up loving to read. When she was a few months old, she loved to chew on the soft cloth pages and stare at the brightly colored pictures. Then she learned how to turn the pages. Now at 10 months, she still loves to touch the 3-D part of each page and hear me read the simple rhymes.

We love all of the different objects and textures that she can touch and explore on each page:
1) Padded aqua turtle shell
6) Green felt octopus tentacles
7) Pink oyster shell with satin inner lining
8) Terry cloth seahorse
9) Metallic seaweed rolls

This crinkly cloth book is easy for babies to hold and great for teething. It also keeps little hands busy during car rides. Although the manufacturer recommends surface cleaning only, I've successfully washed mine inside a mesh lingerie bag on the gentle cycle. And it still looks new...
22 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2009
The "search inside this book" feature shows that there are eight sea creatures in the book. However, the version I received has only six (see my uploaded customer image). The book has the same ISBN as the longer version. Feeling deceived!
review image
on May 8, 2005
We got Fuzzy Bee and Friends as a gift and our babies LOVED it even from only several weeks old. After a few months I purchased Squishy Turtle and Friends and they love that one just as much. It has several different textures and sounds as well as very colorful pictures. My son's favorite is the seaweed - it sticks out of the book. My daughter's favorite is the whale's spout which is made with some white string. I highly recommend this book as well as Fuzzy Bee.
on July 2, 2009
I had this book with 8 characters in it. My son loved it. I bought this book along with three other books in the same series by Priddy as gifts for my friend. When I received the shipment, three out of four books were the SHORT version ones with 6 characters in them. The quality of the cloth is poor and thin. Very disappointed about the shipment. REX and friends is the only one "LONG" version book I received. It is very easy to tell that the long version book has much better quality. I called a couple of local book stores to check the availability of the long version books; it seems that the short version of this series is everywhere now....
on July 1, 2011
I bought this book and Fuzzy Bee and Friends book together. My baby loves animals (9 month) and she enjoys both books. However I prefer Fuzz bee. The reason is that the color of this book are pretty much the same - blue green etc. I would say lack of variation and enough visual stimulation.

On the contrary, Fuzzy Bee book provides several vivid color as background and those animals in Fuzzy Bee is more popular to me. So if you have to pick one book, Fuzzy Bee is a better bet.
on March 1, 2013
This is not the original squishy turtle. I have the original fluffy chick and fuzzy bee (each with 8 character pages and made out of cloth/cotton type fabric). This book was surprising as it only had 6 character pages and was made out of a cheap nylon type fabric. The pages were thin and crinkly and the book seemed to be missing a lot by cutting out 2 pages and using cheaper materials. This is a really sneaky thing to do while marketing it as the same book. I am glad I have the original chick and bee books that I got from a consignment store. If they were like this I wouldn't have bought them. I sent this one back- its not even worth having and it's annoying that the company tried to be sly about it and not mention that there are TWO versions of this book, with this being the newer cheap version.
on December 8, 2004
Best book ever. My daughter loves to touch and feel (and chew) these pages. She acts like it is new every time i hand it to her. We take this book everywhere as it holds her attention for quite a while. Definitely worth the money!!!!
on December 20, 2014
We have Fuzzy Bee and Fluffy Chick & Friends, so when another mom showed up to our play date with Squishy Turtle, I knew I had to have it. While the other two books have two more pages of animal fun, this one makes up for it thanks to the crinkly page at the beginning. It is super loud and fun for my eight-month old daughter to grab and play with. She gets so excited! While it is cloth, it's more of a shiny material than the other two books mentioned above. Could be the older books have been through the wash more than a few times and are five+ years old. Who knows? In any event, I really like this book and so does my daughter.