1,438 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The best moisturizer!
Published 22 days ago by Michael Snodgrass

1.0 out of 5 stars It's now Unilever St. Ives
I've been using this product for probably 20 years, and I'm now 64. I wouldn't say it's a miracle potion, but my facial skin is mostly wrinkle-free and looks healthy--and I only apply it about every other day.

Published 15 months ago by lonebeaut

1.0 out of 5 stars It's now Unilever St. Ives, September 3, 2013
lonebeaut (land of enchantment) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: St. Ives Facial Moisturizer, Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin, 10oz (Health and Beauty)

FYI, Unilever, one of the consumer product megacorps, now owns St. Ives, and this product has changed. I happen to have an old pre-Unilever jar which states the product is not tested on animals, but the other day, when I bought a new jar at a local pharmacy, I noticed that that claim was gone and there was a Unilever logo in the corner. So I emailed Unilever asking if the product had been tested on animals, and their response was a link to a web page that contained an awful lot of PR BS about how they're trying to evolve into a non-animal testing company, blah blah blah. But no specific information about this moisturizer was offered.

I compared the ingredients in the old jar to the new one, and I noticed that at least three of the natural ingredients are now missing and the order of ingredients has been shuffled. So for any of you who are experiencing skin irritation, there may be good reason for that. It's not the same product it used to be. Beware. I'm returning my jar to the store I bought it at and I'll be looking for an animal-kind moisturizer to replace it.

Please consider writing your representative in Congress to co-sponsor the Humane Cosmetics Act. The E.U., Israel, Norway, and India have already banned the inhumane and unscientific practice of animal testing on cosmetics. More accurate results can be obtained from human-based cell and tissue testing methods.

If you want more information on cruelty-free cosmetics, check out, on the NEAVS (New England Anti-Vivisection Society) website, the Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC), which certifies more than 500 brands that do not test on animals. Another excellent source is Cruelty Free International, which is a global campaign to end animal testing (more information on NEAVS website). You can watch the video by Ricky Gervais and read about actor Peter Dinklage's association with this campaign.

And did you know that besides being unethical, animal testing produces severe environmental pollution? Find out the shocking facts on the NEAVS website under environmental campaigns.

Here's a listing of the ingredients in my pre-Unilever moisturizer. You can compare it to the Unilever ingredients (including the changed order) and make up your own mind about it:

Water
Hydrolyzed collagen
Coumarin
Geraniol

5.0 out of 5 stars The best moisturizer!, December 4, 2014
This product is hands down my favorite moisturizer out there and it is reasonably priced. I have combined it with this amazing skin serum VC20 - Potent 20% Vitamin C Serum with Hyaluronic Acid & a Powerful Amino Acid Complex! as the ingredients vitamin C and hyaluronic acid have been featured on Dr. Oz as miracle products to help you look younger. The combination of these products has given me amazing results, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for face, but not around the eyes, July 29, 2014
I really like the St. Ives brand! I’ve been using a number of their products for quiet a long time, particularly this particular exfoliator from St. Ives. Unfortunately I swim a lot and because of that I’m also washing my face quite frequently. I’m also in the sun so that’s why I’ve been desperately searching for something that could help my skin maintain an healthy, radiant glow despite how dry my face can get.

I really like this moisturizer (the Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Moisturizer) because it’s easy on my skin, and I can feel my skin is a lot smoother after using it. The one thing it doesn’t really do well is effect the dark-circles and dry wrinkles around my eyes, especially the smile-lines (crows feet) that a 30 year old woman SHOULD NOT have!!! I’ve been using this eye cream as a supplement and have found that it’s really the only eye cream that has worked at minimizing some of the sun effects around my eyes. So while I really do enjoy and will continue to use St. Ives, for face, I’d say you can’t really use it for your eyes as well.

Lastly the St. Ives moisturizer is good, but I’m not sure if it’s truly rebuilding collagen or not in my skin. I can say that my skin feels smoother, but a true collagen rebuilder is usually taken orally, through supplements or the right foods. For example eating a lot of oranges or taking a vitamin C supplement would help rebuild collagen. Some people actually cut thin slices of oranges and put them on their face! I’m not much for that because of the way it feels, but I wanted to just state that I’m not 100% sure how much collagen you can get form a topical cream.

That said, I still like it and I love St. Ives’ philosophy. So go ahead and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFUL PRODUCT, January 12, 2013
I bought this as a "get by." But after using it for the past 8 weeks have discovered it works as well, if not, better than my $95.00 moisturizer. I'm going to stick with this. It seems to have a better firming effect and I have noticed a smoother appearance to my skin tone.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite skin care products ever hands down, June 6, 2013
I actually bought this at Walmart instead of Amazon. I might have paid maybe around 3 or 4 dollars for this TEN OUNCE jar. It's a lot of moisturizer, but it works fantastically. I am a serious skin care product junkie. My boyfriend likes to joke that if someone told me monkey poop would give me beautiful skin I'd be the first one in line to buy a tube. Curiously there have been no such studies. But St. Ives really outdid themselves with this one.

I'm young, but I am a smoker...Terrible, even worse, because I know better. I started noticing deep lines forming down each sides of my face kind of between my nose and cheeks which I decided had to be because of this awful habit. Straight away I was on a mission to find some "cure" even after years of experimenting and using different skin care products and tools including vitamin E oil, hyaluronic acid, massage therapy, chemical peels, masks, face brushes, electronic face brushes, netted washclothes, etc. Now, I really liked the St. Ives Apricot scrub, but when I compared it to the cheaper Queen Helene version I was smitten. Having never tried any other St. Ives product, strangely, I shrugged off the entire line and figured it was just another dime a dozen commercial company with a "natural" gimmick. Now I see that I was missing out all this time on at least one of their gems, because I use this moisturizer every day faithfully and those lines have disappeared by 98%, not to mention my skin always looks hydrated, not greasy, oily, shiny or superficially moisturized at all. My skin texture appearance continues to improve with every use to the point that I always receive unsolicited compliments and I use foundation much more sparingly. This moisturizer really is very special... it just sinks into the skin and imparts the kind of suppleness we take for granted as children and then long for in adulthood.

The smell is fresh and light.I even use it on my body sometimes! The formula is non-comedogenic, which is essential to someone like me with oily/combination skin type. The jar itself, while I anticipate battle cries among the nitpickers about hygiene risks, is extremely economical and will last forever. I could go on and on, but all anyone reading this needs to know is: PURCHASE IMMEDIATELY! I mean, come on ...the sheer number of reviews on this website alone should speak volumes!

1.0 out of 5 stars St. Ives needs to clean up their act, June 8, 2014
MLS (Olympia, Wa/) - See all my reviews
I used to love St. Ives products. But, in this age of awareness and a great app called "Cruelty Free", I've learned that they test on animals. So, as well as this product works, I will no longer buy it or any other product from St. Ives. If they want to go the extra mile and make things that do not involve testing on animals, I will reconsider becoming a customer again. Until that time, bye bye St. Ives.

1.0 out of 5 stars St. Ives Facial Moisturizer a Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin - Beware of new formula, July 20, 2014
Unilever was instrumental in destroying the original all natural Pears glycerin soap of 1807, not only by removing the natural herbal scents but also by adding a plethora of chemicals to the formula. Pears has now been discontinued entirely! Since they bought out Alberto Culver, they have been slowly downgrading all of the St Ives skin products I used. Beware of the new Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin formula which contains Linalool, It is narcotic and creates respiratory disturbances. It attracts bees. It causes CNS disorder. It is toxic to animals. As well as Cinnamal which can cause skin irritation. Their new Pears formula, which contained both of these ingredients, gave me an itchy rash! In fact, I suggest you check all your personal skin and hair products and avoid any containing these ingredients, which are showing up more and more lately in everything! Seems like large conglomerates are moving backwards to obtain more profits in spite of knowing better about harmful chemicals and we are letting them and potentially harming ourselves and our planet by buying and using these products. However, it is becoming harder and harder to find affordable alternatives. Guess we need to complain to the FDA instead of the manufacturers and get more of these harmful ingredients banned.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little goes a long way, October 7, 2012
I was in Walmart and I saw this on the shelf, after reading the reviews on Amazon. I tried it for the first time this morning, and I absolutely love it! I only needed very little on my face. The cream feels light on my fingers and like nothing when I have spread it over my face. This is a great buy at Walmart with a cost $4.67, instead of $5.99 here. With a 10oz jar, you won't need the subscribe and save feature. I see why St. Ives is still around and I will continue to use this and their other products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Moisturizes -- but now at the expense of animals. No fine line reduction., October 14, 2013
I used to like this product as an inexpensive moisturizer. I wasn't too concerned about lines yet (and noticed no effect on the few I do have), but I wouldn't have gotten this product for lines anyway: collagen molecules are too big to be absorbed through the skin, so it is really irrelevant whether collagen is included in a cream.

What is relevant to me is that St Ives used to not test on animals, and now they do. I won't contribute to pain and suffering, animal or human.

There are many choices out there from companies that do not test on animals. My new way to go is to sign up for "The Body Shop" emails and stock up when they have a 40% sale. I like the company because they (a) oppose animal testing and (b) hold fundraisers to stop human trafficking.

However, their lotions are a bit too expensive for me to get when they aren't on sale. But there are a number of other companies out there that oppose cruelty.

I'm not a fan of some of PETA actions, but if you search for "PETA companies that don't test on animals," they have a helpful webpage that will give you options.

Summary: decent moisturizer, ineffective on lines, contributes to animal cruelty, going another way.

4.0 out of 5 stars before it was on Dr Oz, March 27, 2013
Tina Brandon (RALEIGH, NC, US) - See all my reviews
I purchased this before it was on Dr Oz and so glad I did. I noticed a change in my face the next day.