4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but not nearly as bad as the reviews claim
Published on March 1, 2011 by A. Blasingame

3.0 out of 5 stars It's true - I called the manufacturer...
EDITS 9-26-2012: I wrote my original review (below) when I researched my pending order of 6 cabinets (60-drawer) and some dividers, but before receiving the shipment. I can now report from items in-hand. The transparency issue is probably not going to be a problem for most uses, but there are other changes from the older product that may be important to you...
Published on February 21, 2011 by Sammy D

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but not nearly as bad as the reviews claim, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Stack-On DS-39 39 Drawer Storage Cabinet (Tools & Home Improvement)
I recently bought six of the 29-drawer cabinets and will likely order even more cabinets. I'm using them to store Lego and they're practically ideal for that, though they are also suited to the hardware storage and craft storage I've seen mentioned elsewhere. While it's true that the picture in the description gives a bit of a false impression that the drawers are 100% clear and rigid, that is an earlier version that is no longer being sold. Honestly, I prefer the new drawers. It seems like the original clearer drawers were made of the same material as the drawer dividers (which I'll get to later). The problem with that is that they would be fragile and prone to cracking with that new material. The new material is clear, though a little cloudy. I don't have any trouble seeing through it. It's also more flexible and even seems thicker than the acrylic-like material I mentioned before. They're not quite as pretty, but I think they work better.

I've seen several people complain that the drawers "didn't come with the drawer dividers as stated in the description." It doesn't state that in the description. It accurately says that drawer dividers are available. There are built-in slots for the dividers in every drawer. You may or may not always even need the dividers. If you do, though, they're relatively inexpensive: Stack-On DIV-SM Small Parts Storage Organizer Dividers, 48 PackStack-On DIV-LG Large Parts Storage Organizer Dividers, 16 Pack. The dividers work very well, though they have some problems as mentioned below.

Overall, these drawers aren't perfect but they work very, very well and there are very few products that measure up to them at this low price. I will likely buy even more of these drawers before everything is said and done, definitely recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's true - I called the manufacturer..., February 21, 2011
Sammy D (California, USA) - See all my reviews

The drawer material is polypropylene and is just like that used in most clear storage bins or the non-disposable food storage containers that we see all the time in grocery and department stores. It is the same thickness as the old drawers, about .036" (as thick as 9 sheets of paper), which is thin enough to look pretty clear.

However, whereas the old drawers had locations for inserting 3 dividers into each one (I can only report on the small drawers I'm using), the new ones have just one, at midway. (I intend to use clear hot glue, which is one of the few common adhesives that will stick sorta OK to polypropylene, for the places where I need different divisions.) The dividers themselves, purchased separately, are still polystyrene. Be careful when snapping them apart from each other as-shipped, since they break easily when doing this.

It seems that the cabinets have been modified for the new materials and assembly used now. Possibly because the new drawers are more flexible than the old polystyrene ones, the drawer-stop tab protruding down from the top of each drawer opening is longer now (1/4") to catch the drawer better, I'd guess, as it is pulled out, but is much more likely to interfere with drawer contents when opening or closing a drawer that is pretty full to the top. It's such a pain in my case that I cut all 360 of them off, not caring that drawers can easily pull all the way out. However, they use the tab on the cabinet and not on the back of the drawer because it not only stops the drawer from coming out too far, but also stops it from going in too far. They otherwise would have had to provide a separate stop or panel at the back of the cabinet, and there is no back panel: The cabinet is mostly open at the back (much lower mfg cost). I used 1/4" foam core to make my own back-panels, btw, a hassle, but I'll eventually get over it, and will from now-on be able to open and close drawers that are full!

The cabinets used to have a reinforcing frame at the back that went around the entire perimeter. It provided stiffening to the back edges and provided four wall-mounting locations, one at each corner. The new ones do not. The stiffener goes across the top and one-fourth of the way down each side. There are only two wall-mounting locations now, one at each top corner. Another consequence of this change is that the unreinforced cabinet walls warp and bow-in where unstiffened (a condition made worse by the shrink-wrap packaging), which, though not hindering drawer movement, is an aesthetic detractor. One could feasibly add stiffeners (or a panel) inside to mitigate this.

Finally, regarding label adhesion, I don't expect to have problems with these drawers. Sometimes a silicone-based mold release is used with parts like this during manufacture, so I may as a precaution use a wax & grease remover (acetone works great on polypropylene... but don't use on polystyrene) to wipe the plastic before adding labels.

****original review February 21, 2011****
Yes, although marketing materials and even the manufacturer's website shows CLEAR transparent drawers in the photos, and it even states there that the product features "See-through drawers for quick identification of contents", they are NOT TRANSPARENT. I asked a customer service rep (Stack-On Products Company, [...] Ph: 1-847-526-1611 Toll Free: 1-800-323-9601) and she said that they are translucent, like a plastic milk jug (which is usually made of polyethylene), and have been this way for quite a while. She did not apologize or explain the false representation of the product when I mentioned it, which I must assume will continue uncorrected. It seems that there would be a lot of complaints and returns, tho??!

I have 6 units (DS-60) from about 10 years back. They have clear polystyrene drawers, but some have become milky-white opaque where morning sunlight comes in through a window and shines on them. The others are still clear and doing fine. But I needed see-through drawers and was about to order two replacement cabinets to get the drawers. *Thank you, Amazon Reviewers* for calling this to my attention:-) One may, BTW, order REPLACEMENT DRAWERS (No, you can not get any 'old' clear ones), by calling them: $0.50/ea for small drawers like the DS-60 uses, and $1/ea for the larger size, plus priority shipping $4.05 for up to 10 drawers (as of 2/2011).

A note regarding the two plastic types: The discontinued polystyrene (clear) is more rigid, cracks more easily, can be easily repaired by gluing (is not resistant to many solvents), and labels will adhere easily and stay on over time, possibly even being difficult to remove. With polyethylene (and polypropylene), the opposite is true in every case: These plastics are naturally milky-white translucent, they are flexible, not easily cracked or glued (are quite resistant to most chemicals), and labels will need quite a strong and durable adhesive to stay on over time. Paper labels and labels meant for use on paper, for example, would probably not adhere very well, especially in a warm environment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, May 18, 2010
Bought two of them to store nuts & bolts. No way could I have more than 60 kinds of fasteners. Right. Filled both up and still have a bunch of small cardboard boxes "unfiled". So you may want to count all your stuff first to see how much space you really need.

The cabinets are fairly lightweight, can tip over, so backing them up to a wall or something solid will help. And (!) the drawers have a small hole near the back. For most things, not a problem, but a #2 screw can fall through to whatever is below. Not sure why the hole is there, a piece of clear tape fixes it. You get some dividers with each cabinet, but unless you glue them in, they can work their way up a bit and small things will slide under.

Arrived in good shape, nothing broken, prompt delivery, exactly as described. Typical Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Non-existent Customer Service, flimsy product, March 6, 2006
Product did not arrive with the drawer dividers as stated in the description. Storage cabinet is rather flimsy too. Emailed Aut0Barn twice and no response. Called them (during their stated business hours) and I got got their voicemail. The voicemail allowed about 5 seconds of recording time. Do not order from this vendor!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Teacher Toolkit, January 20, 2013
My friend and I used these to make teacher tool kits. It works great as a place to store staples, rubber bands, pens, markers, etc. It took a lot of clutter off of my desk!

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, not super durable, April 23, 2010
Good price, prompt delivery, arrived in good shape. But a bit flimsy. Not sure it would hold up under heavy use, but to store stuff I need once in a while, not a bad deal. Very lightweight, push the back up against something solid or it can tip over.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissappointed...not what I was thinking it would be., September 14, 2011
If you have ever been to the hardware section of a discount retailer or big box home improvement store and seen these type of storage cabinets with all the nice, thick clear plastic drawers that fit really well in their slots and thought, I could think of like a hundred things to put in that...well, this product is not like those at all. It is inexpensive, I guess, but the quality is a lot lower than I expected. The picture shows these nice, clear, rigid plastic drawers and what you get is a slightly opaque or foggy, plyable, thin plastic that is very similar to a disposable plastic storage container marketed for food. And I think that comparison probably pays this product a compliment. The drawers do not stay put and they do not catch at the back very often. They look funky and inexpensive. They would be much more useful if they were completely clear as then you could see what is in them...well....clearly. They will not hold anything that has substantial weight. I would NOT recommend them for any type of hardware storage. Honestly, I would not recommend them at all. If you are really set on getting yourself one of these, you will soon be able to find mine at the nearest second hand store. I would pay about $4 for it there, $5 tops. You win some and you Stack-On some. Darn It.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable (but not in a good way), January 3, 2011
Bought 2 of the 30 drawer units on Xmas eve to store Lego parts in for grandson's gift. Upon opening, found there were only a few drawer dividers and a note telling the customer where to order the rest! So, I spent Xmas eve making dividers. (To put it euphemistically) Total chicken-poop!! Also, several drawer stops came "pre-broken" but considering the "quality" more are sure to follow.
What really irked me was the company has an American address! You would think an American company would do better.
Would not buy anything else made by Stack-On.

2.0 out of 5 stars Falsely pictured on internet and on product!, February 11, 2011
I've searched everywhere for a unit like this with CLEAR drawers, and was excited when I saw these online. The pictures clearly show the drawers to be clear, not opaque/cloudy. When the product arrived, the drawers were opaque/cloudy and not the clear see-through quality shown in the pictures online. Also, the picture on the actual product is also false advertising! It's too bad--I was in a bind and needed to use it, so I couldn't return it. I then went to my local Home Depot, because I saw online that they had some--I physically went into the store to check them. Sure enough, same thing--falsely pictured on even the product itself. What's strange is that at some point, the drawers must have been crystal clear, because they obviously got a good picture of them! Maybe they've since changed their manufacturing to a cheaper material, but they need to update their marketing materials.

In addition to that major objection, I don't like the dividers that came with this. They are molded into the back supports and you have to twist or cut them off. That leaves very little material across the back of the unit for stability (it doesn't really affect stability, but it's just cheap looking). And also, the dividers are then not perfectly straight and they don't give you enough to divide even half of the drawers. I hate to say, I'm very disappointed in this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for electronics prototyping storage, November 4, 2010
Amazon Customer (Pennsylania, USA) - See all my reviews
I use several StackOn products for small parts storage. The "flimsy" bins are actually quite nice, and the translucency hasn't been an issue. Some of the older, stiffer bins developed cracks over time (several years) - the new ones should not have that issue.

If you need labels the 1.75x0.5" Avery address labels work great! I can queue up a sheet of 80 and print them out, then apply them at will. The only con about the design is the drawers are a little wobbly inside the frame - you should find a different solution if you'll be carrying this around your shop frequently as the drawers may open in transit.

Stack-On DS-39 39 Drawer Storage Cabinet