Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Staedtler Metal Sharpeners, Double Hole for Pencils and Colored Pencils 2 ea, 510 20BK2
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 10, 2012
I bought these sharpeners because i trust German manufacturing especially of writing implements, and have always relied on Staedtler before without problem. These seemed promising - they are hefty and seem very sturdy and long-lasting. However, the problem is that they are no longer truly German-made, but Chinese, with the attendant problems.

To wit: both long and short point holes mangled and broke every single one of my prismacolor pencils. Even when I tried to fix the problem by first using a graphite pencil, frankly that was eaten up beyond belief. As there is nothing complicated about these sharpeners, nothing hidden, the blade comes right off with a screwdriver, i can only surmise that the blades were not sharp when first attached.

It may be that this package was a fluke, a problem item, two bad sharpeners in a million other good ones, i dunno. But i myself will never buy a Staedtler sharpener again. My recommendation is that you spend your money on a cheap throwaway plastic sharpener before you waste it on the Staedtler.
on July 23, 2012
These sharpeners work great on my prismacolor pencils as well as my chalk pencils. They put a short very sharp point on the pencils that have really improved detailed coloring for me. Was using a cheap sharpener that kept breaking the lead, what a difference. I've sharpened probably a dozen pencils so far and have yet to have it break the lead. Impressed with the quality (they are a very heavy metal) and price.
on January 3, 2013
I miss the "old times quality"... do you know what I mean? Real quality! not Chinese quality.
The description of this product in Amazon clearly says: Made in Germany.
To my surprise, when I opened the package and grabbed one of these sharpeners I noted a label on its side that says: Made in China.
So what exactly is wrong here? See the images I uploaded.
review image review image review image
44 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2012
Our electric battery-operated pencil sharpeners needed new blades - they had grown dull and chewed up and broke our pencil points. I searched high and low, but couldn't find replacement blades for electric sharpeners anywhere. I guess the manufacturers just would prefer you spend the money on a whole new sharpener. Instead, I bought these Staedtler manual sharpeners to steal the blades. I chose the Staedtler because the blades were not rounded off at the edges, as with some other sharpeners. Turns out the blades fit the electric sharpener perfectly, and do a great job of producing nice, sharp points.
on February 25, 2013
When my two hole tub sharpener (Staedtler 512001) began to dull, I purchased these. Just remove the 4 screws in the top portion, separate the top parts, slide out the old sharpener, slide in the new sharpener and replace the screws. A sharp sharpener!
on November 7, 2011
i've owned mine for more than 30 years. blades still sharp, works perfectly. light weight, portable, silent, perfect. they don't come any better than that.
VINE VOICEon December 23, 2011
These really are great sharpeners. I sharpened every colored pencil in the house to break these in, and they were so smooth, balanced, and sharp (very quickly)...that I was just smiling by the time I was done. These are so much better than the other sharpeners I have and have had that I'll gladly pay the extra money for them to keep sharp happy pencils around. These even sharpened smoothly and without breaking on the cheap pencils that every other sharpener I have broke repeatedly.
on March 7, 2013
This Staedtler two-hole sharpener smoothly sharpens pencils to a fine point. It is the best I have used for graphite and colored pencils. Furthermore, the price is a double bargain because if you only use the small-hole sharpener you can easily replace its blade with the big-hole blade (or vice-versa). So in one package you get the equivalent of 2 x 2 = 4 excellent pencil sharpeners.
on May 25, 2016
These are wonderful for colored pencils; they are actually metal sharpeners and work perfectly for colored pencils. I have artist quality pencils that I use for coloring and when I saw the reviews for this sharpener in regards to colored pencils and the recommendations from several artists for these, I ordered them and I have not been disappointed. In fact, I recommend them to other people to use. I love that they have 2 holes, 1 narrow and 1 wide, for 2 different sharpening angles. It allows you to adjust your pencils to the level of detail you need for coloring, although I will say I find I use the narrow hole almost all the time, so if you decided to order the 1-hole option that is less expensive, you would still get a really great pencil sharpener.
on April 29, 2012
I love these metal sharpeners made in Germany. The Staedtler Metal Sharpeners, is a powerful and precise sharperner. I bought two, one for my grandson and one for me. They have long lasting blades that sharpen a pencil, minimizing the lead point from following off after sharpening. The blades can be changed if they are dull or ruined. Just a great little tool for home use.

See 1 answered question