5.0 out of 5 stars great bass after a few small modifications
Published on March 24, 2011 by Bassplayer

2.0 out of 5 stars The bridge too high
The bridge is too high and the string is bad quality. The soldier angle is not in the right place.
Published 2 months ago by Cary

5.0 out of 5 stars great bass after a few small modifications, March 24, 2011
This review is from: Stagg EDB-3/4 VBR Electric Double Bass with Gigbag - 3/4 Size - Violin Burst (Electronics)
I bought a sunburst Stagg electric upright bass for the unbelievable price of $399 at a local music store, Stagg was running a promotion. I made a few modifications including putting on new strings (Thomastik Spirocore Light) - the ones that come on the bass are quite heavy and stiff. I also filed the slots in the nut to lower the strings so you can just slip a credit card between the strings and the fingerboard. (Go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap set of jeweler's files - the round one is just right. I also removed the strap button that is at the heel of the fingerboard, which was getting in the way for notes above D on the G-string. The bass now plays like a dream and it sounds great in the big-band. (All the guys said how great it sounded.) No fingerboard buzzing, lots of bass, nice growl.

The fingerboard is a synthetic material that has a very nice feel, dry, not at all sticky and fast, not unlike a sating finished wood neck. The fingerboard on my bass is flat and straight and has no buzzes even with the strings very low to make it easy to play.

The preamp feature with MP3 player input and headphones output is really great, I put a bunch of Aebersold play along tracks on my ipod and can play along quietly for hours. The preamp is a little bit noisy (hiss) but you do not notice it at all after the music starts.

The tuners are heavy duty and stay in tune, the adjustable peg is very sturdy, the fit and finish is nice and the case is good. This really is a great deal - even at $599. I could not be happier with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stagg EUB, November 1, 2012
After 36 months and about 200 gigs, these are my comments. First, the good. The color and finish get a lot of compliments. The electronics are well designed for the most part. The controls can give you a nice thump or great sustain. The solid construction means temperature and humidity extremes don't affect the instrument much, if at all, a considerable load off my mind where I live. Now the bad. The adjustable tail piece digs into the protective tape covering the battery and signal wires. I'm talking about inside the bass body itself. After a few times of raising and lowering the tail piece, the aluminum sticky back RF shield tape got caught on the tail piece shaft inside the instrument and pulled the signal wire out of the circuit board, bringing my future with that instrument to a halt. Replaced the tape, inserted the signal wire back into the circuit board, and I had confidence in the instrument again. The original strings couldn't hold a note. They had only a single wire rope in the center and cut my fingers despite being flat wound. A set of nylon-wrapped flat wounds and $150 later and I have strings I can trust. The A-string tuner arrived broken. The tuners appear to be made of inferior metal and have a hard-to-turn tuning ratio. Rather than have the rest of the band tune to my A-string, I replaced all the tuners with some Grover classic bass tuners. It's almost a perfect fit. The mounting screw holes were exact copies of the Grovers. The tuner machine head post holes are exactly across from each other. There's not much room for the posts, and replacements may be too long and interfere with each other. The original tuner posts are very short. A better configuration would have been to stagger the post holes.

The belly brace is useless. Can't imagine using it for a real gig. The supplied belly brace was too long. It was too far to reach the neck and I had to compensate by either bending my wrist at a sharper angle or turning the instrument away. Maybe my arms are too short. (Doubt it.) The fret markers aren't the most accurately placed on the side of the fingerboard. The fingerboard has some minor dips and rises in it, making exact fingering interesting. There's a single strap button on top. Still looking for Stagg strap suppliers. The tail piece allows the bass to not only move, but also twist. Very annoying during high energy pizzicato or plucking. The nine-volt battery is easy to replace, which is good considering I've had to replace it eight times in the last 18 months. A fellow musician who plays a guitar says he changes his battery once a year. In summary, the bass appears to be well engineered, but the construction leaves a lot to be desired. The gig bag has good proportions, but two of the three zippers were broken off. If you don't mind changing your own strings, searching for replacements and changing the tuner mechanisms, replacing the shielding on the signal wires and possibly removing the circuit board to reinsert a pulled signal plug, this is a good first electric upright bass for relatively little money.

The bass doesn't come with a stand. I bought the Ingles Adjustable Cello and Bass Stand When you adjust this stand to the bass, it narrows the footprint and makes it easier for wind to blow the bass over. However, the fingerboard latch is easy to use and doesn't bother the strings or scratch the neck. Weights on the feet help stabilize it.

5.0 out of 5 stars move over Zon???, January 15, 2011
Ever since Bass Player Magazine did an article on this bass in 2008, I've been very curious about it. I've been with my current group for 10 years and decided I was going to take the fretless plunge (I've never so much as held one before). The review in the magazine had a pretty favorable opinion and when I saw that they were $500, I decided to go for it. Right out of the box, the violin brown exceeded my expectations. (Even my wife said, "Wow, that's pretty.") The finish didn't have a single blemish on it. The joints were all very tight and clean. The neck does need a little truss adjustment due to high string height. And there are two spots on the fingerboard where I'm getting some buzzing but my luthier should be able to fix that. The first thing I did was plug my MP3 player and headphones into it. This is going be a VERY often-used feature. My rig stays at the practice space so this feature is crucial. Do remember, this is NOT an acoustic bass. It's barely audible when not plugged in. What it DOES mimic though is a traditional upright. It stands about 6 feet tall with the peg extended and has a "woody" quality to the tone that is very similar to a double bass. Again, this does not sound EXACTLY like a big double bass. This sounds like what it is, an Electric Upright Bass. Glissandos (slides) are really cool and I'm having a blast learning a whole new side to playing bass. The preamp is loud and very clear and will be quite enough to cut through the mix in a pretty loud Rock/Blues group. Going to have to get a stand for it, though. It comes with two body pieces, (the upper one is useless, from what I could tell). I'm even going to get a bass bow and mess around with that. Overall, I've never played an NS E.U.B. to compare the two, but considering the 1-2 thousand dollar price difference, you'd be hard-pressed to convince me that the difference was worth it. I love this bass a lot. The Zon is going to have make a little room now onstage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Sound and Feel, February 8, 2012
Jim Hurster (Winnetka, IL, US) - See all my reviews
This purchase would not have happened without the review of others...so my apology for any repeated information.
My purpose for acquiring this instrument came from the need to have a space saving 3/4 double bass for both my home and stage. The looks of this model (violin brown) is beautiful, and as others have described, the 'feel' of this bass is exceptional, even with the 'body extensions' that simulate the body parts of an acoustic upright DB. I made only a lowering adjustment (screws) at the bridge in a matter of 30 seconds, and after plugging into a bass amplifier (Fender), the sound is incredibly good. It is NOT exactly the replication of an acoustic bass, but is has a tone control that gives a full sound which is mighty close. The neck is smooth, dry and fast, and it even has a slight 'growl' in the action that sounds like a good double bass, and it is comfortable to play. I can't put it down. My band members have complimented on how 'cool' this baby looks AND sounds. The feature for playing silently with an MP3/iPod/AUX-IN source works very well. The controls are in the 'right place'. The height adjustable peg is solid and well constructed. I kept the origianl strings on, and they sound great. From a musician who plays mulitiple, quality stringed instruments (guitars, basses, mandolins, etc.), this instrument is well worStagg Edb-3-4vbr Electric Double Bass Violin Brownth the $600-$800 price tag. If you own an upright, and would love to have a fun addition for your cramped stage gigs, or have transportation issues with that 'big green bag', or you just want to play a great double bass, and reap the benefits of these features....you will want the Stagg. I love this thing.....
[....]

4.0 out of 5 stars Stagg EUB, September 17, 2012
After nine months and about 50 gigs, I feel I can give a detailed review to help the buyer make a decision. First, the good. The honey color gets a lot of compliments. The electronics are well designed for the most part. The controls can give you a nice thump or great sustain. The solid construction means temperature and humidity extremes don't affect the instrument much, if at all, a considerable load off my mind where I live. Now the bad. The adjustable tail piece digs into the protective tape covering the battery and signal wires. After a few times of raising and lowering the tail piece, the aluminum sticky back RF shield tape got caught on the tail piece shaft inside the instrument and pulled the signal wire out of the circuit board, bringing my future with that instrument to a halt. After replacing the tape, inserting the signal wire back into the circuit board, and replacing the access panels on the back, I had confidence in the instrument again. The original strings couldn't hold a note. They had only a single wire rope in the center and cut my fingers despite being flat wound. A set of nylon-wrapped flat wounds and $150 later and I have strings I can trust. The A-string tuner arrived broken. The tuners appear to be made of inferior metal and have a hard-to-turn tuning ratio. Rather than have the rest of the band tune to my A-string, I replaced all the tuners with some Grover classic bass tuners. It's almost a perfect fit. The mounting screw holes were exact copies of the Grovers. The tuner machine head post holes are exactly across from each other. There's not much room for the posts, and replacements may be too long and interfere with each other. The original tuner posts are very short. A better configuration would have been to stagger the post holes. The belly brace is useless. Can't imagine using it for a real gig. The supplied belly brace was too long. This resulted in an unusually long arm reach to the neck and you compensate by either bending the wrist at a sharper angle or turning the instrument away from you. The fret markers don't appear to be accurately placed on the side of the fingerboard. The fingerboard has some minor dips and rises in it, making exact fingering interesting. There's a single strap button on top. Still looking for Stagg strap suppliers. The tail piece allows the bass to not only move, but also twist. Very annoying during high energy pizzicato or plucking. The nine-volt battery is easy to replace, which is good considering I've had to replace it four times in the last nine months. A fellow musician who plays a guitar says he changes his battery once a year. In summary, the bass appears to be well engineered, but the construction leaves a lot to be desired. The gig bag has good proportions, but two of the three zippers have broken off. If you don't mind changing your own strings, searching for replacements and changing the tuner mechanisms, replacing the shielding on the signal wires and possibly removing the circuit board to reinsert a pulled signal plug, this is a good first electric upright bass for relatively little money.Update: replaced the gig bag zipper pulls with better quality parts. The jack in the back for the signal wire to the amp is exhibiting intermittent connectivity. Guess I'll have to take it apart again and troubleshoot the jack this time. (edit) Jack was not the problem. Turns out it was a loose connector from the jack to the circuit board. Easy fix, press the connector back onto the mother board, put circuit board back into body. As they say at NASA, "this isn't rock science".

4.0 out of 5 stars Stagg EDB a fine piece of equipment in the right hands, December 19, 2012
This instrument is not entry level. It also is not a top of the line piece of equipment. It has its flaws which to the professional upright bass player would not keep them from seeing value in the design (this is extremely portable!). The novice or beginner upright bass player may feel lost at sea with this instrument, but I think with a little time they could see how well made this instrument is. I found the dot inlays to be in the proper positions and the electronics were very quiet in both live and recording settings. I really wouldn't change anything about this instrument for the price that I paid ($600).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Bass, December 26, 2013
I bought this bass after playing acoustic double bass and electric bass guitar for about a year. I'll start with the good stuff. I like the construction, and the hip brace is a perfect fit. The adjustable bridge is a major plus. The end pin is great. I plugged my headphones into the pre-amp: Yup. This feature is gonna get used a lot. I also love being able to plug an auxiliary cord straight from my computer into the bass without any adapters. Now for the bad. It takes a whole lot of messing with the tone controls on my amp to get it sounding like an acoustic, but hey, if you want an acoustic, buy an acoustic. This may just come with my lack of experience with this kind of stuff. I don't use the hand rest it came with. I can't see any use for it. It just seems to get in the way of heading into higher position. May just be me. Overall, it's a really great bass. I love it. I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars read double bass sounds, May 27, 2013
this was for a band member who wanted to get some standup bass growl and feel. This does all that and more. the stand that camewith it is really a necessity and the case is very useful. Good price and good quality, will be using in live soon in church with the band that leads singing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sound!, June 5, 2014
Christine Childs (Thornton, CO United States) - See all my reviews
We purchased this as a practice instrument for my daughter. We found renting an upright bass nearly impossible (lack of availability) and expensive to boot ($80+/month). We picked this electric upright bass because it had excellent reviews for sound and durability and it can be used with a bow. We have not been disappointed. The sound is excellent (though we had to fix a rattling noise that was caused by the end pin -hence the 4 vs 5 stars.) She loves the fact that it takes up much less room, is easy to transport and she can use it with an irig (http://www.amazon.com/Amplitube-IK-Multimedia-touch-iPhone/dp/B003W47NII/ref=pd_sim_e_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=05HRE6NWM7QXZ5H4ANTD).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Bass How Sweet the Sound!, April 14, 2014
Couldn't be happier. Very even sound through all of the strings. Great quality and a great price. I'd get another if I could play two at once!

Rate and Discover Movies