5.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Track by Track (4.5/5)
A Quick Track-By-Track

Published on September 21, 2011 by John D. Ryan

3.0 out of 5 stars I could take it or leave it.
I've been listening to Staind since the release of Dysfunction. Aaron Lewis has a way with words, and a unique form of expression, which will no doubt suit the more sensitive types. Needless to say, Staind has been one of my favorite bands for a long time, and Aaron, a heavy vocal inspiration for me. Each and every album, I feel, has its own unique flavor, and...
Published on September 13, 2011 by Argus Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quick Track by Track (4.5/5), September 21, 2011
A Quick Track-By-Track

I was introduced to this band a while back, but not as long ago as some of u. Break the Cycle was the first album of Staind's i got to hear and it was really fantastic. Outside, its been awhile, for you, cant believe, all very good songs. I did go back and listen to their harder stuff after that, also really good. Their next album was just okay for me but their were a few great songs, especially So Far Away and Zoe Jane. Chapter V was pretty disappointing; very forgettable. In fact falling, run away, and right here are the only titles i remember from that record. Their most recent effort prior to this one, the illusion of progress, was simply not that good. It seemed at that point that they were just going through the motions.

This left me kinda concerned: for the most part Stainds albums were getting progressively worse. But when I heard Not Again and saw they were going back to roots a bit, i felt this record was worth a listen. Boy, was i right! It inspired me to make this track by track review of the record.

So its simple how i do the score. I grade each song out of five, then i average it to get the score of the record. I round the regular way, .5 or above rounds up.

Eyes Wide Open (5/5): Cool, hard hitting intro song. If you didn't know what this album was going to be all about, you would know after hearing this song. Some screaming, awesome chorus, and it flows very nicely into Not Again.

Not Again (5/5): What a single should accomplish: it should be a standout track, it should give insight to the rest of the album, it should have an appeal beyond the regular fan base, and it should be freaking awesome. Mission accomplished with this song.

Failing (3/5): Not the best song on the record, but still pretty great. Its kinda messy: part of if it is pretty hard and the chorus is very soft. It takes a second or third listen to get the feel for it, but it works. Good song.

Wannabe (4/5): Good song with an even better message. It is basically an attack on the people who talk badly about them, calling their critics lonely and miserable ("why don't you focus on your misery, instead of focusing on me?") The track also has some rap elements that work well: the rap serves to mock and the rock serves to flat out attack.

Throw It All Away (3/5): Very good ballad. Its got some of that old slow, dark flow sorely missing in the Illusion of Progress (certainly Staind's weakest effort). Lyrics are also very impressive, but that should be expected from lewis. Still though, it doesn't stand out, definitely feels like a filler song. Chorus is also pretty unremarkable.

Take a Breath (5/5): Im calling right now that this song is gonna be the sleeper of the record. Its not going to be talked about as much as other songs on the album, but it is really, really, really, really good. One thing you can always count on aaron to deliver is power and emotion. This is a shining example of that.

The Bottom (5/5): It may just be me, but i LOVE how aaron sounds in this song, particularly in the chorus, simply incredible. One of those classic staind songs where Aaron's amazing voice is enough to make the song great. Now add powerful and haunting lyrics and you have why this is a 5/5. In terms of hardness, out of the songs i listed so far, it is between Take a Breath and Not Again.

Now (4/5): Dunno why, but i got a Run Away from Chapter V vibe from this. But just so you could put a quality of the two records in perspective: where in Chapter V this song would have been the all important kickoff track, in this one its just filler in between two classics.

Paper Wings (5/5): Brutal, kickass, legen.... Wait for it... Dary (thanks NPH)! Everything about this song flat out rocks, nuff said really. The verses are the hardest on the record and it has an awesome chorus and message to compliment them.

Something to Remind you (howdoyoutypetheinfinitesymbol/5): I'd call this the best song on the record, but that wouldn't be doing it justice. I'd call this the best song in the past three records, but that wouldn't be doing it justice. This is their best song since Zoe Jane! The lyrics are absolutely beautiful and you can practically reach out and feel the emotion. I had to literally hold back a few tears, the first time a Staind song had that effect on me since Zoe Jane, where I'm not ashamed to admit, I COULDN'T hold them back.

So the final verdict (counting something to remind you as 5/5, which doesn't do it justice):

5+5+3+4+3+5+5+4+5+5=44

44/50= 4.4/5

Ooh missed the round up by 0.1. Sorry dudes. You know what returning to your roots deserves an additional 0.1, so that is 4.5/5, rounds up to 5. Well deserved, awesome record.

If i made mistakes or you just feel differently, post a comment for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Staind, September 21, 2011
This review is from: Staind (Audio CD)
I was very surprised when hearing this album. Actually, I was more surprised when I first heard the opening track "Eyes Wide Open" first released to the internet months before the release. I anticipated this album so much when I first heard that song and the outcome was even better than I expected. Staind definitely delivers a heavy album that stays true to what they said about going back to their roots. After the disappointing Illusions of Progress, which had me thinking that Staind were suffering from illusions of having any progress, Staind comes back with a smack in our faces after a slow, dull, and boring album. I have enjoyed a lot of music Staind, with the exception of their previous album, since "Just Go" hit the airwaves. Slower songs like "So Far Away", "Schizophrenic Conversations, and "Epiphany" are also enjoyable songs. However, after their last record, it is nice to hear a full out aggressive album. For those enjoyed hits like "Mudshovel", "Falling", "Price To Play", or "King Of All Excuses" then this is your album. I'll give you my input on the album's tracks.

1. Eyes Wide Open 10/10 - The opening song that I mentioned before which brought so much anticipation for what album was going to come. The opening bass thumps heavy much like the song "Mudshovel" and what follows is an explosion of guitars and pounding drums. Aaron yells and screams the most aggressive vocals he has done in a long time during the verses. After aggressive verses comes a melodic but heavy chorus that will get stuck in your head. Definitely one of their most memorable tracks and probably their best opening track off of any of their albums.

2. Not Again 10/10 - The best choice for a first single. The opening of the song gives a feeling of "Just Go" from Dysfunction. Then, like the previous track, explodes into thrusting guitars and heavy drums. The entire song is what you would want from Staind. Not to mention an awesome guitar solo in the middle of the song. I am glad to see this song getting a lot of radio play.

3. Failing 8/10 - This song is slightly different for Staind even considering it being heavy. As other reviewers mentioned, the eerie vocals of Aaron are reminiscent of Alice In Chains harmonizing vocals. Not only that but this song has the sludge metal feel of Alice In Chains in songs like "Rain When I Die" and "A Looking In View". After the verses is more screaming vocals in the prechorus then off to, once again, a memorable melodic chorus. My only complaint about this song is that it kind of drags a bit towards the end, but it does grow on you. Still a great track.

4. Wannabe 10/10 - By reading other listeners' opinions about this song, you pretty much like it or don't. And can I ask all of those who don't why?? This should definitely please the fans of Staind's heavy sound. However, this is yet something slightly different for Staind. I'm pretty sure that some people are turned off by Aaron's rapping and immature lyrics in the song. But I think this song rocks and the lyrics are pretty funny. The prechorus with the screaming of "You're just a sell-out, turn-coat rockstar! Pussy, poser rockstar!" is my favorite part of the song and probably the best screaming on the album. This has a chorus that constantly can stick in your head and also got to love the guitar solo.

5. Throw It All Away 6/10 - My least favorite song on the album and I'll tell you why. The repetitious chorus... This song could have been much better if it had a better chorus. I enjoy the melody of the verses but it's the bridge which is actually what only stands out in the track. This is not bad by all means but I tend to listen to it the least.

6. Take A Breath 10/10 - This reminded me of "Falling" from Chapter V at the opening melody of the song. This song is easily and obviously one of the most radio/single friendly songs on the album. One of the catchiest choruses on the album with a rockin guitar solo in the middle that also makes the track stand out. I wouldn't be surprised if this hit the radio some time in the future. Definitely a favorite.

7. The Bottom 9/10 - Guitar riffs with effects that will make you think you are listening to a song from Dysfunction kicks this track off. Eerie verses come into a melodic chorus. But what really makes this track shine is where the tempo picks up and Aaron's screams come to life in the middle of the song. Great track from Transformers as well.

8. Now 9/10 - Another song, like "Take A Breath", that I believe has some great commercial release potential. Probably the most uptempo track on the album along with "Eyes Wide Open". This, along with "Throw It All Away" and the closing track, are the only songs on the album that feature all clean vocals and no screams. So for those who don't care much for Aaron's screaming (uhhh..who would that be) you'll like this. I like the high-tuned guitar melody throughout the song.

9. Paper Wings 10/10 - Eerie beginning then into one of the heaviest songs Staind's ever conjured up with it's blistering guitar riffs. The verses feature angsty, growling vocals like "Eyes Wide Open". The chorus is probably my favorite on the album and this is overall my favorite track. This song reminds me much of "King Of All Excuses" from Chapter V only better.

10. Something To Remind You 8/10 - The end of Staind? I hope not, but that's what some people think when they hear this one. This is the mellow closer and a great way to close the album. It also contains the best and most heartfelt lyrics on the record. This could also mean that this record is something to remind everyone that Staind can still have a mellow side to them or that they can still create heavy music which put them on the map in the first place. Either way, it was nice to hear something soft on the album as well as I do like some of their softer songs in the past as well.

Well, for all those who gave up on Staind after their last album I say give this one a listen and you'll be pleased. If you enjoyed Tormented, Dysfunction, Break The Cycle, and even the heavy tracks on Chapter V then give this a chance. Thank you Staind for delivering not only your best offering but also one of the best rock albums of the year (along with Foo Fighters "Wasting Light").

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to be rich too so I forgive you guys....LOL., October 14, 2011
This review is from: Staind (Audio CD)
In my world you now have THREE albums. All I'm going to say is welcome back Staind. I know I speak for many when I say that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stellar., October 11, 2011
This review is from: Staind (Audio CD)
If you are like me you might remember that bass intro when you were growing up in high school...moving into the resounding... "youuuu taaaake away". I was hooked from that moment. Then something changed with Staind. They became more commercial less raw and powerful. Less gritty... basically not the Staind that hooked me from the beginning. I honestly haven't touched their albums since "break the cycle". I read pre order reviews and interviews on this album saying that the band was going back to their raw hardcore roots. I can tell you this, if you loved early Staind BUY THIS ALBUM! If you are a fan of post "break the cycle" or even the slower side of that album, you may be thoroughly disappointed. This album has intense guitar riffs and gutsy intense vocals (with some old school Aaron Lewis screaming). In closing if you want to get heavy this is your album, if you want the sad dreamy ballads look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, September 13, 2011
This review is from: Staind [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
This is one of their best! I love the harder edge that still keeps a little of traditional Staind. I will be listening to this over and over for a while!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, September 30, 2011
They are back. this is the Staind of old! Saw Aaron Lewis live and wondered if they would ever get back to the old hard stuff that made them stars after his solo career. No more worries. THEY ARE BACK

5.0 out of 5 stars "Kick your teeth down your throat" AWESOME, September 20, 2011
This review is from: Staind [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
This is what the fans have been calling for for years...Staind the way they began...Hard, intense, in your face and beautiful...The guitar by Mike Mushok is unbelievable...His baritone guitar keeps your body tingling for hours after the fact...Riffs ring in your mind...He does a lot of shredding in this album, unlike the last several albums, and does it flawlessly...

Aaron Lewis is simply Aaron...Introspective lyrics that ring a chord with anyone...His vocals are a phenomenon...Goes from singing a heartfelt melody to gut-wrenching screams in an instant...This is truly how Staind is meant to be experienced...

Many people who have come to enjoy Staind over the past couple of albums will not recognize the band...They go back to their roots in this one, their seventh chapter as a band...It's back to bone-crushing, face melting, HARD music...And God bless 'em for it...So before you start hating on the band and album, remember that this is who they started out as...And this album can almost be seen as a curtain call for all of the fans who have been there since "Tormented", "Dysfunction", and even "Break the Cycle"...

I give it 5 stars...Simply Perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album from a great band, September 13, 2011
This is a must have for any Staind fan, rock or metal fan. There are 8 amazing heavy tracks, one incredible ballad and a huge surprise. If you ever wanted to know whats its really like to make an album, watch this dvd. The making of DVD is hard to watch as the band goes through so much to produce the final product, but this is a band who does everything they can for their fans. Get this album, and the dvd. You wont regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album, July 31, 2013
This review is from: Staind (Audio CD)
I strayed away from Staind after their Break the Cycle album for a long time because I was so disappointed that they got away from what made the Dysfunctiion album so good for me. Anyway, I bought this album to see if it was as good as what I had heard and I am not disappointed with it at all. It's not quite as heavy as Dysfunction but it's their closest one to it in my opinion. I'm not going to try and do track by track breakdown like some people do but just know that this album is probably as close to Dysfunction as they will probably ever be especially since Aaron Lewis seems to have went country. So, if you liked Dysfunction, you will probably like this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Their Best Album in Years, May 30, 2013
This review is from: Staind [Explicit] (MP3 Music)
After Chapter Four, I swore I would never buy another Staind release. Well, their latest has made me a liar. From the blistering opening twosome of Eyes Wide Open and Not Again to the echoes of the sound of their major label debut on Paper Wings, this album quite simply rocks. Even the predictable closing note of Something to Remind You is well done and not overly hokey. If this is the direction Staind plans to continue to follow, I eagerly await their next release.

Staind [Explicit]