Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now

on September 21, 2011
I've been using the Aeropress for almost a year now and love it. When the supply of paper filters was getting low, I looked for a "permanent" solution and found this filter. I'm not sure if I would get this again, if I had the choice. While it does its job fairly well, here's the pros and cons:

Pro: Re-usable.
Doesn't filter out oils which may improve the taste.

Cons: Price. I could get 3 years worth of paper filters for this price. Who knows how durable these things are.
As with french-press coffee makers, it does let through a bit of fine coffee 'dusts'.
Water goes through much faster than paper filters.
Cleaning is a little more difficult than paper filter.

Other thoughts: When making ice coffee, I found that the paper filter makes much better tasting ice coffee because of the absence of residue. I will probably use this filter for oil-rich coffee beans and use the paper filter for ice coffees.
2020 comments|286 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2011
Very happy with the purchase...

Good points to consider:
- Flows equally compared to paper filters (back pressure is similar)
- Doesn't seem to leak out sides of plastic mesh cap of Aeropress
- Holes don't clog even with fine grind (also rinses easily)
- Sturdy not flimsy

Unknown:
- Durability

*Wet/rinse filter and Aeropress mesh cap and it'll stay when you flip it to cap the plunger*

UPDATE: Make sure that you regularly clear the filter and check by holding it up to the light to see how many of the holes are still blocked. If you don't, it will become progressively harder to press coffee.

UPDATE 11/12: Filter is quite durable with no noticeable wear. I have noticed that back pressure gets notably harder as grind size decreases.
33 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2013
I've had this for about a year now and it still looks brand new, so I'm going to say that this is the best aeropress metal filter out there. It lets all the flavors through and very little sediment (less than a french press). Here are some things you should know before purchasing.

-Unless you are one of those people who does the inverted brewing method and tinkers with grinds, steep times, etc.--you probably don't need this item. If you just got an aeropress to make a quick cup and don't obsess over complexities, then paper filters are fine.

-Don't buy it to save money or the planet. You can purchase about a billion paper filters for $16.50. Combined, all those years of paper filters have less mass than the daily newspaper. You are not reducing your carbon footprint nor are you saving the rain forest with this purchase.

-They are not hard to clean, contrary to what some have said. Look at the filter. Notice how the holes on the side that says "Able Brewing Equipment - made in the USA" are slightly smaller and not recessed? That side towards coffee and you won't have problems with sediment sticking in those little recessed holes. It took me all of 2 cups of coffee to figure that out.
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2011
This is just what I've been looking for since I got my Aeropress. The holes are very, very tiny, so it filters very well without just letting all the coffee drip through (though a bit more drips through than with a paper filter, as expected.) It works just fine with a fine grind.
VINE VOICEon November 20, 2011
I have been using Aeropress and its original micro filters since 2006. I just got and tried this S.S. filter for the 1st time. I didn't follow its enclosed instructions but instead use my usual method. A few differences that I immediate noticed while using this:

1) Now I have to stir the coffee + hot water mixture very slowly so that liquid doesn't overflow via the vents onto my cup prematurely. No problem, I can manage slow stirring.

2) It yields a cup of black liquid with NO crema! My most beloved crema is now nowhere to be seen. I was disappointed at that. BUT ... (please read on).

3) It generates less internal pressure as now pushing down is a lil' easier than with those old micro filters. Another not-so-good sign as I interpret high pressure = better taste in the espresso world. BUT ...

I took the first sip, OMG! Despite the above concerns, my coffee never tasted this good. The improvement is very drastic. It's so much fuller (not bitter) and more flavorful. Truly amazing what a different filter can do... This plus the Aeropress can make anyone a great barista.
66 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
A word of warning to those of you who have been using your Aeropress with paper filters for some time. The Stainless Steel permanent filter is a great idea and makes an excellent cup of coffee. Just be careful that you remember to remove it from the press before popping your grounds into the trash! I had gotten so used to the routine of cleaning my Aeropress that I did forget. I got distracted and popped the whole plug of grounds and filter into the trash, just like I was used to doing with the paper filters. And of course it happened to be trash day, so goodbye new filter. I will get another and do my best to remember it's there!
on December 30, 2011
We got this because it looked like a good alternative to paper filters. We were pleasantly surprised that it actually makes noticeably better coffee! If you have an aeropress, you need this!
on January 12, 2012
I know it seems crazy to buy this metal filter when you can buy a pack of 100 paper ones for a few $, but I really didn't want to have to worry about finding and buying filters or running out. I have owned an Aeropress for a few years now and love it, especially now that I have found a great coffee bean company and roast I like. I prefer it over commercial chain coffee any day. With paper filters, I could just eject the whole mess into the compost bin, paper filter and all. I was worried that the metal filter would make it harder to clean. I usually let the used coffee sit in the press for a few hours then eject it and clean it. Doing this with the metal filter is no different. I take off the black top, slide the metal screen off (very little coffee residue on it!) and eject the whole coffee puck into the compost. I noticed a slightly different taste with the screen vs the paper, not bad at all, just slightly different. I don't follow the directions that came with the screen, I instead use the inverted or upside down method where you rest the aeropress on the table with the plunger in, fill the coffee and water from the top, then put the screen on and screw on the black top. You can then invert the press over the cup (nothing spills out) and start pressing. Much easier this way. I only wish the screen didn't cost $17....crazy I know.
44 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2012
I was wondering if someone could please explain why the directions for using this filter are so different than the instructions for the actual AeroPress itself.

For reference, these are the directions, with the AeroPress first, then the metal filter ones with a * next to them. I've excluded the setup directions and started from the water pouring part.

Pour hot water into chamber slowly. Use 175 degree F for best flavor.
*Pour in water at 200 degrees F for 30 seconds. (it also mentions using 220g of water during this point. See my comment further down.)

Mix the water and coffee with the stirrer for about 10 seconds.
*Wait 50 seconds. Stir for 10 seconds.

Insert plunger and press for about 20 to 30 seconds.
*Plunge slowly for about 40 seconds.

So, to recap, different water temps and completely different times, with an addition waiting time thrown in to boot. The plunge time of 40 seconds I found all but impossible to do. Although the directions call for 220g of water so I have no idea if I'm even close to that.

I've never in my life weighed water before using it, so I don't even know what to make of that. I don't even have the ability to weigh water in my kitchen. Water has always been measured by volume anywhere I've read a recipe, so I'd think this should be ml. Do water densities through out the world vary so much that it must be weighed before usage?

Ok, tangent there. Back to the point. Why the radically different directions for making the coffee, since the creator of the AeroPress spent so much time and effort coming up with the perfect coffee with the original directions. Any pointers or tips on this, for a new AeroPress owner? Thank you for your replies.

edit: after a few more uses, I've found the instructions given with this device impossible to use. If I wait the 50 seconds it asks, most of the water is already gone and there's nothing left to press. So I'm wondering why they're even given.
66 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2013
I've been using this disk for my coffee needs recently, and I personally find it to brew more bitterly than when using the paper filters. Clearly every variable affects the final taste when using the AeroPress (which I love). For reference, I use about two scoops of coffee to 1/2 cup of 195 F water.

I do however like the stainless steel filter better for when I do cold brew coffee; I'm not really sure why, but there is better flavor.