5.0 out of 5 stars Good value...
Published on August 12, 2011 by BKF

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruins shirt collars
I've used collar stays for many years. I wear a dress shirt every day and have been using these collar stays for a year - they were a gift from my mother.

Published 23 months ago by camus

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value..., August 12, 2011
This review is from: 20 Stainless Steel Collar Stays in a Box - 4 Sizes - Deluxe Edition (Apparel)
I hesitated a bit at spending so much more than some of the other similar stainless stays, but am very glad that I ordered this one. The box will be essential - I can immediately tell if I've forgotten to remove a set from a shirt prior to sending it to the laundry. The stays themselves are extremely high quality and make a difference in how a shirt appears. I wish that I had done this years ago.

UPDATE: 09/16/2014 This item has literally doubled in price. I paid 29.95 3 years ago. I definitely would NOT have purchased this at 60.00. I've had good use out of this, but have lost more than half of the stays, so will be looking for replacements. Unfortunately, it won't be this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars These collar stays aren't going to be ruined in the wash or dryer, November 3, 2011
I haven't run them through a wash cycle yet, but after numerous problems with plastic collar stays, I looked into getting metal ones. These have a nice heft to them, come in a very usable box, and look to be capable of surviving anything you throw at them. They're nice to look at, so it's a bit of a pity that no one else but you will ever see them, unless you end up in a Tom Clancy novel and have to use them to defend yourself after being kidnapped from a fancy dress party. After using these, I have no plans to ever bother with plastic collar stays again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Collar Stays, June 14, 2013
I was tired of those stupid plastic ones that come with the shirt. They always get lost. So, I went looking for something more durable and found these. For what they are, I didn't think the price was too bad; though I was concerned about some of the reviews saying the box they came in was flimsy. I have to say, though, that I'm very happy with these. When I first ordered them, I figured I wouldn't actually be using all 4 sizes, but quickly discovered that I do have shirts that fit each size. The box that I got is not flimsy. It's great. I just keep it on top of my dresser, and when I come home, just take the stays out, put them back in their spots, and toss the shirt in the dry-clean pile. Before taking shirts into dry cleaning, I just check the collar stays box to make sure they're all accounted for.

I have not had a problem with them tearing through the collar. Though, I do have about 25 dress shirts in my rotation, and don't wear one every day. I imagine if you have a small number of shirts and wear them everyday, they may tear through. Although, what I also think is possible for those who do have a problem with them tearing through, is that perhaps they're using too large of one. You can't use one that puts pressure on each end of the collar. Use one that is just slightly shorter than the available space for the collar stay. It keeps your collar pointed and stiff, without placing any pressure inside the stay area.

If you're looking for a solution to your plastic collar stay problem, get these.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stay-riffic, September 17, 2011
Vernon Lingley (Goleta, CA United States) - See all my reviews
These are great stays. The quality of the stays are very nice. They are sturdy but not too heavy that you notice wearing them. The variety is lacking though. The small stays are pretty useless as I have not yet seen a shirt that needs them. Having more of the longer ones, or maybe a few even longer stays, would have been more useful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruins shirt collars, December 6, 2012
camus (Bay Area, California) - See all my reviews

I've just discovered that these collar stays are ruining my shirts. They either wear a hole in the end of the collar or wear out lower stitching of the collar stay thus ruining the collar stay pocket sewn into the collar.

The problem is that the edges of the stays are sharp. And I will say, I buy quality dress shirts of $50+ in price.

I now have 4 shirts (all different brands) that are unwearable because these crappy, low quality pot metal stays have ruined the collars.

And as far as I can tell, there is no way for a seamstress to repair this problem as the collar stitching is hidden.

Avoid these stays - they'll ruin your shirts.

4.0 out of 5 stars very happy with these darts, February 26, 2012
I am very pleased with these darts. They are very stout, but did have a few small scratches. It's not a big deal, they're not seen when in your collar. The box that they come in is very well constructed as well and keeps them tidy and organized. I like them much better than the plastic ones that come with most shirts.

One side note: Make sure to check and clean off the edges before use as there was some black gunk on the edge of a couple of mine.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm an idiot... Why do I need this many collar stays....?, April 3, 2014
Pete (Wilkes-Barre, Pa) - See all my reviews
I bought this thinking it was cool and sleek. When I got it I didn't know where to put the damn thing. The case is rather large. Nice, but large. It's covered in a faux leather. The inside is lined with velvety stuff. The bungees are typical for this sort of application. They work just fine, but will most likely stretch over time. I find that since I don't wear any shirts from the '70s, I never have any need for the bottom section with the gigantic collar stays. If I run short of poles while pitching a tent, I'll make sure to bring those.

I wear a dress shirt everyday and have gotten used to removing the stays and putting them on the dresser. Which means I only use 2 stays from this monstrosity and it remains closed all the time.

***I have never used any stays other than the top three rows*** That's my way of telling you this product is 70% useless.

4.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY! No more broken stays, October 10, 2012
HB (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
I got tired of years of broken plastic stays stuck inside my collars. Fishing them out was no picnic and sometimes would damage the collar.
I finally decided to treat myself to some stainless steel replacements. These not only are unbreakable, but can also be shaped exactly the way I need them to make the collar look sharp. The wide range of sizes is very helpful, as is the organizer case.
After using the stays for a while my only beef is that they can easily fall out of the collar when taking off my shirt as they have a smoother surface than the plastic ones. Crawling around trying to find them in the dark has not been fun, but so far, successful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful gift...to myself!, May 17, 2014
J. Mitchell (Charleston, SC USA) - See all my reviews
Let's start out with delivery. Always on point and arrived without damage. It was packaged well. Presentation is why I give this set 5 stars. Each collar stay is weighty, they are held in place by small straps and they really make those collars stay! No more bent collars after a hot day wearing plastic versions. All the sizes are great and some may be used on same cuts of shirts and offers a slight variation on the style. I'd highly recommend owning this for yourself or (wink) giving one to that special dad or grad or friend. I'm not sure if they can be engraved. But I'm betting on it! Overall, fulfillment was awesome and would use this marketplace shop again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Should I Stay or should I go?, May 11, 2014
Dremstat (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm going to stay. Very impressed with the product ,the follow up. Everything. For the folks who complain that one size ends up useless. I'm going to cut you slack and ask you to wait 10 years, everything cycles. There will be collars of immense and tiny size over and again. If you buy well constructed vestments that you keep in kind, they will reward you over the course of your life. One great, expensive shirt that you pamper is worth so much more than a closet full of disposable junk. Choose well. Have style, don't be fashionable. If you don't know the difference, do some research. It will pay you back tenfold.