We cook rice and grains frequently, as do many Asian-Americans. We have used plastic-bowl microwave vessels, aluminum & teflon pots, steam pressure cookers and several others over the past five plus decades. They all work, but each has a down side. For instance wait till your visitors or grand kids hear the hissing monster of a pressure cooker.

We feared...
Published on April 24, 2008 by Saty Satya Murti

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfy but a bit too pricy
I am using this rice cooker 4 days a week for three months. So for, I am satisfy with it. I only cook white rice and the rice came out pretty good and normal. The only thing I don't like is the price. It is too expensive on this simple rice cooker.

Published on February 12, 2009 by S. Chan

4.0 out of 5 stars It is the stainless steel cooking surface that counts - 4 years later in 2012.., April 24, 2008
This review is from: Stainless Steel Rice Cooker Model ME81 (Formerly ME8) - by Miracle Exclusives

We feared aluminum toxicity, teflon ingestion, plastic leaching and plain uncertainty of what new epidemiologic research will unleash on us tomorrow. My wife and I have conveniently labeled our failing intellects as chronic "rice-in" toxicity. Forget age, it must be all that peeling cooking pot and rice!

The stainless steel Miracle is a reasonable answer, unless we find out in some distant future that stainless steel is also a hazard. Probably not. This cooker performs well and passes muster readily with us. We have not noted any spills or crusty rice paste sticking to the bottom. We do have the advantage of having cooked rice and grains for many years. But this is an easy skill to acquire if you learn to vary the amount of water used to suit the type of rice or grain. Don't lose heart too soon.

The pot washes easily if you soak it in water for a few hours -- and better still leave it overnight for your spouse to take care of tomorrow!

A vege tray comes with the cooker. It steams beans, peas and carrots well and to a ready-to-eat tender state.

I agree that a price of some $50.00 would have been better, but the convenience and safety are worth the added whimper while you pay the price. You could shop around and may be able to find a slightly lower price. And don't blow the savings on pricey coffee.

IT HAS BEEN 4+ YEARS since my initial review. I am grateful for the kind and helpful comments from all of you. My technical articles never reach this level of positive acceptance. Alas.

I still cook rice, and occasionally pearl barley, quinoa, amaranth or lentils. Except for quinoa and amaranth, the others do stick a bit at the bottom. There is some spillage also, and the cooking times vary from 30 to 50 minutes. Much depends on the amount of water added. Sometimes the lights do not go off, and therefore, I check the contents and manually flip the switch off.

The bottom line (excuse the cheap pun) is that this cooker is suited ideally for rice cooking and vegetable steaming. My experiments with other grains and lentils are just a mix of curiosity and a periodic excess of time at hand. I do clean up the mess: my mess and my responsibility, cautions my other half.

By the way, if you are blessed with almost daily sun light, then try solar ovens. I switched 75% of my cooking to solar heat finally this year. Oh, what a delightful culinary conversion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, a rice cooker with a stainless steel pot!, January 30, 2011
Length:: 3:13 Mins

I bought this rice cooker over two months ago, to replace an old aluminum bowl rice cooker that was starting to show a lot of wear and tear after many years of use. I spent a lot of time searching for a rice cooker that wasn't made with aluminum or those non-stick surfaces. I was delighted to find this one that has a stainless steel bowl and steaming basket. It really looks a lot nicer than the picture on the page shows, so I thought it would be great to do a video so you could see what it really looks like.

I use it practically every day for one thing or another and like the nice 8 cup size. I make brown rice, wild rice, lentil soup, pea soup, steel cut oatmeal, quinoa, barley and other whole grains. Everything seems to come out perfectly and clean-up is easy. I usually set the bowl in the sink with some warm water in it for about 10 minutes and then just sponge out any remaining residue. It's also comes with a steamer basket which lets you perfectly steam your vegetables. This came in really handy around the holidays when I was running out of burners on the stove and trying to get the meal on the table at all once.

I'm terrible about measuring things and I usually just add my grains to the pot and kind of "eyeball" how much water I need. (Do you do that too?) I've probably used this close to a hundred times already and still haven't burned anything or had anything stick to the bottom of the pot that won't come out easily after 10 minutes of soaking. That in itself is a huge thing for me. I don't know if the stainless steel cooks things more evenly or what, but I was always having things burned or sticking to the old aluminum cooker.

Two thumbs up for this great rice/grain/other stuff cooker!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have no complaints, November 23, 2007
I bought the rice cooker a year ago when I was looking for one that did not have non-stick coating or aluminum or plastic bowl. I'd been looking for a long time and was happy to find that this one had been changed/updated to include a stainless steel bowl.

We use it most for brown rice (which we eat at least once or twice a week) - comes out great! perfectly done and fluffy. Have also used it for oatmeal and other grains such as quinoa, as well as a bit for steaming vegetables. I found a ton of recipes online to make in this. Haven't tried all of them that I want to.

My company sells another, top of the line, expensive rice cooker. I don't use it because I don't want the "non-stick" bowl. I almost gave this one 4 stars then realized I have no complaints about this cooker, so gave it the full 5. Maybe I was hesitant because I just found out there is another rice cooker that has a crockery bowl. :-) I'd sure like to try it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Wanted. Soak Then Wash, January 3, 2007
Highly recommended. Cooks very well. I have not cooked brown rice yet. White rice comes out great. I add slightly more water than with previous rice cooker. I wish every appliance had a non-teflon option.

It isn't coated. In order to clean avoid leaving warming heat on when there's very little rice left, keep lid on for warming, and simply soak cooking pot in water for a few minutes and wipe away easily with a sponge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cooks well, super fast, too!, December 26, 2009
I'm...ahem... Asian, so rice is a part of many meals. I had a somewhat fancier model Aroma brand rice cooker before, but the cooking pot was teflon coated and gosh... it was so slow. I have stayed away from teflon-based cookware for health concerns but the rice cooker was the last thing I had yet to get rid of. And I noticed the teflon was flaking off the pot, so I knew I had to get rid of it soon.

I bought the Miracle rice cooker from Amazon and got free shipping. The pot of this cooker is of course stainless steel and it's nicely polished. But the thing that really suprised me was how FAST it cookes white rice. I've never seen a rice cooker cook so fast. And it cookes rice very well, despite the fact that I don't always add the same proportion of water to the dry rice. Many Asians "eye-ball" the water level and despite the variance of rice-to-water proportion, this rice cooker cooks rice on the moist and tender side - the preferred texture that most Asians like. I cook brown rice once in a while and will update this review once I get a chance to cook it a few times.
There are some negatives. One is that there is no brown rice setting. The instruction booklet states you can cook brown rice but you just let the rice cooker stay in the warm mode for 15 minutes to fuly cook brown rice. The warm mode kicks in after the normal cook time is done. Another negative I can think of is the cooker looks homely, plain, and old-fashioned. It would have been nice if the exterior was better designed and more modern-looking, perhaps with a stainless steel finish as well. And the last negative is the price. Other than the stainless steel pot itself, the materials, design and workmanship is not different than some no-name rice cooker so I don't understand the high price. Perhaps they have a monopoly on the stainless steel rice cooker market and can get away with over-pricing it?

Moving on to other plusses: the lid is glass. The Aroma brand and other rice cookers have a hinged lid, which in my opition has become a negative as the lid is attached to the main body of the rice cooker, which makes it more of an ordeal to clean the lid - and therefore is less sanitary. The glass lid with this rice cooker is what I prefer in that I can take the whole pot with lid and put it in the fridge - you can't do that with hinged rice cookers. And the glass lid is easier to clean and you can see the progress of the cooking.

It comes with a steamer basket but I dont' plan on using it so can't say how that performs. As for the pot itself, it's very easy to clean the pot. Just soak the pot in some soapy water, let the rice soften a bit and then just wash it down with a dish cloth or sponge. Overall I'm happy with getting rid of the last teflon item in my kitchen and the fact that it cooks so fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stainless steel pot!! Not toxic nonstick or aluminum!, June 28, 2008
Yahtzee! (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I searched and searched, and found this company directly and paid around 80 bucks for it.

Let me say that I have NO nonstick, or aluminum in my kitchen. I store my food in stainless or glass. I absolutely LOVE this thing. I lived in a tiny 8x10 dorm room at Columbia U last year, and the miracle rice cooker, and a toaster oven were the ONLY things I had to cook with.

I got very good at making one pot meals in this thing, the steamer basket is amazing and with just this one rice cooker, you can make a decent dinner.

Now, I'm back at home, and with a full kitchen, and I STILL use it to make dinner. Last night, I left it on for a bit too long and it started to stick, so I shut it off, and twenty minutes later, the moisture in the rice pulled everything off the bottom.

It's no stick! Go figure!
I like it so much, I bought a second one (on ebay, for $70) to take back to Columbia with me, when I go back to finish my graduate degree. That way, my hubby and I don't have to fight over it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stainless Steel Cooking Bowl, May 2, 2009
R. MARK Plummer (From the Former USA) - See all my reviews
Last summer when I started visiting my sweetheart in New England,
(I'm from the West Coast where the influence of Asia on kitchen
and diet are more pronounced, i.e. I can't live w/o brown rice and
a good rice cooker) I researched a moderately priced Rice Cooker
with a Stainless Steel bowl and this is the one I bought for her kitchen -
we have used it about twice each week since then -
it works well - one complaint is: the lid has a venturi in it
a small vent hole - and when the rice is cooking steaming hot water
is forcefully expelled thru that small opening which
splashes out and makes a mess on the counter top... the solution is
to always use it with put the vegetable steamer tray
on top... other than that small matter, over all
it was a good value for the price. The stainless steel bowl was
THE primary reason we chose this cooker. Worth it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfy but a bit too pricy, February 12, 2009

Some suggestions: the first time I used this cooker, the sticky water did spill out all around the counter. I then put the tray on top to cook the next time; no water spill out any more. So if you found the sticky water annoying, you can try this (of course you need to put right amount of water).

Couple times the rice stuck on the bottom of the pot after it was done. I tried to unplug the cooker after the rice was done (the yellow light was on) and left it for 10-15 mins before serving it. The bottom park then easily came out.

I also didn't like the plastic ring in the hole of the lit. I took it out and it just works find without it.

This cooker works just like any other rice cooker. But if you want a stainless steel pot, this is an option if you don't mind to pay a little bit more. My previous rice cooker was used for almost 10 years. I hope this one can last that long too.

5.0 out of 5 stars No Toxins!, October 1, 2008
After an exhaustive search for a rice cooker without a non-stick coating I was pretty much left with the ME81 from Miracle. On this basis alone, I would have given it 5 stars. It's very basic; when you plug it in, it goes to a warming mode (the directions state brown rice should be warmed for 15 minutes prior to cooking). When ready to cook, you simply depress the cook button. It then heats the contents to boiling and when ready, automatically switches back to the warming mode. The rice can continue warming for a couple of hours. Whenever ready to stop, simply unplug the unit and fluff the rice.

I must admit I have no experience with rice-cookers so my experience with the Miracle could be affected by my own ineptitude. To date, as far as grains are concerned, I've only made brown rice. My first attempt was 2 cups (the little plastic cup size which comes with the machine is smaller than one cup) and it worked fairly well with only a little rim of sludge around the edge of the glass top that occurred when it was pushed up during the boiling phase. The rice also stuck slightly to the bottom of the pan and was more moist in some areas than others, but I might have put in too much water. The directions call for extra water when cooking brown rice so with experimentation, I hope to improve on this. Next, I tried making 3 cups of brown rice and had quite a bit of boil over, with sludge running down the face of the cooker. I wonder what kind of mess results if you try to make all 8 cups? Obviously, I need more experience.

That aside, I have to say my efforts resulted in the best rice I've ever tasted! I feel like I can now get into all those healthy grains like millet, quinoa - and of course, brown rice - and switch from wheat-based products. I also steamed some vegetables in the steaming basket. They cooked in less time than I anticipated and even though I overcooked them (they never changed their bright colors so I thought they weren't done), they tasted fantastic. I've always felt uneasy about cooking vegetables in the microwave and now I'm finally liberated! The taste improvement alone is worth the investment in this cooker!

When initially searching for a rice cooker, I was disappointed all the fancy, multi-function rice cookers didn't come with stainless steel pots. Fuzzy-logic sounds so cool. But, according to a NY Times article (Sept 30 '08, "The Steamy Way to Dinner") one button varieties actually may have more flexibility. "It's easy to override the machine's small brain. Press the "cook" button, melt butter in the bowl, and sweat a finely diced shallot in it until soft - then add rice, broth and saffron strands, and start the machine again to make a daffodil-yellow pilaf". (Although, I think the directions enclosed with the ME81 stated you shouldn't repress the cook button, probably for risk of burning the contents of the pot.) According to the NY Times, "The most intriguing recipes are those that have been developed, out of necessity or curiosity, entirely for the rice cooker, like the ones here" and then introduces food blogger Hui Leng Tay. Search for tigerfish rice cooker to find the blog. There are also some recipe links. Just looking at the pictures makes me want to start experimenting.

Anyway, despite the slight messiness, I love this rice cooker, love the tastes it is producing, and look forward to many more healthful meals in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good review with a question, November 17, 2007
Mary (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This rice cooker has been wonderful. I cook mainly brown rice (and I don't understand the other reviewer's problem). It cooks the fluffiest brown rice I have ever made. Now - that said, if you leave the warmer on there is a layer that sticks on the bottom but that does not bother me. I just make sure I scrap well when I am serving. In the past I have not cooked brown rice because it took too much time, I would forget to put the rice on while I was teaching (I teach voice privately). Now I just put it on and have perfect rice for dinner. One question - I have seen another rice cooker that says they are solid stainless steel and not coated stainless steel - mine looks stainless steel but I don't know if it is solid. Good thing to find out. Still - it is a much better option than non-stick or aluminum.

Rate and Discover Movies