Published on April 30, 2010 by Mra Margaret Hall

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea, not now...........
Published on November 15, 2010 by Marcus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Idea, not now..........., November 15, 2010
This review is from: Stainless Steel Kenmore 1.1 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave & Pizza Oven
This reveiw may come across as being contradictory, but it accurate. First of all my Wife loves the microwave. In the summer she puts pizza, fish sticks, fries, etc.. into the pizza drawer. The pizza drawer cooks well and evenly, without heating up the entire house. The Microwave portion of the unit works as designed. You put food in the microwave and seconds later, it comes out hot. I know that was not a technical description, but it basically works as one expects a Microwave to work. So it is a good idea and my wife swears by the concept, however......

However the Unit is going back to the shop for its second repair. Right underneath the microwave door their is a plastic plate, the looks like metal. Twice the plastic plate has split wide open. The microwave continues to work, but we are unsure if there is any leakage of the microwave, due to this crack. When we took it in the first time, a technician knew the exact reason we were bringing it in, before we opened our mouths. There evidently has been a number of these Kenmore Pizza / Microwave ovens, that had been brought in for the same repair. It appears that the plate is being overly taxed by the heat being generated from the top, by the Microwave, as well as the pizza oven at the bottom. By receiving heat from the top and bottom, plate prematurely fails.

Well, I going to take this back to Sears to see if they will trade it for another microwave, although I know my wife will be disappointed in that she will have have two devices (two footprints) to perform the tasks that this single device did. So, 4 stars for the microwaves performance, 0 star for the prematurely failing plate on the front of the microwave and 0 stars for Sears having the data points to recognize this issue and not addressing it with their customers. I would not buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING multi-use Microwave/pizza oven/toaster oven is SWEET!, April 30, 2010
My Sharp Microwave finally bit the dust and off to Sears I went for a replacement. I got that replacement Sharp microwave home and it didn't work. At all. No power. Zilch. Sooooo....took it back and happened to see this Kenmore Microwave/Pizza oven combo and thought "What the heck? I'll give it a try...price is right...on sale about $139." Well, it has turned out to be one of the best items I have ever bought for the house. SO versatile. the microwave is, well, a typical microwave but does the job and does it well. It is a bit loud but that is not an issue for us. The Pizza oven does an incredible job cooking pizzas...frozen self-rising crust pizzas, fresh pizzas, whatever, it cooks them to a "T". I am not sure how this works but it really does. It cooks frozen potatoes like Alessia potato wedges, etc. beautifully. Cooks biscuits and rolls beautifully. The little pizza drawer is incredibly versatile. I hardly ever use the big oven anymore! And-no pre-heat time! Push a few buttons and voila! It really is amazing. I can't honestly imagine not having one. I will be getting my son one for his new apartment. This is really a terrific item and very well priced. Don't hesitate...you'll be amazed at how many uses you find for this!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's big, but it's freakin awesome!, December 8, 2010
My old microwave was just old and I didn't like it. So I started looking for a new one. I came across this one and was instantly intrigued. I also got it on sale at $139 and it was completely worth it. I read some reviews about some plastic thing melting on different websites, but after owning this microwave for 1 and 1/2 years, using the "pizza oven" literally everyday, it has functioned flawlessly from day one. Also, there is no plastic piece above the oven drawer. I don't know what that other person is referring to because the drawer and everything around it is metal.

Notice I put pizza oven in quotes? I'll get to that in a second. This thing, as a pizza oven, makes frozen pizza just like it should be made. However, one day I didn't have a lot of money and I ordered a cheap pizza from a local pizza place. I don't know how to explain it any better than this, but the pizza was droopy and limp, and just didn't taste very good. So I had a slice or two and put the rest in the fridge. So the next day I got hungry again but didn't feel like going to the store so I decided to throw this crappy pizza in the pizza oven and heat it up. Well, after cooking the pizza in this oven, the dough was crisp and the pizza didn't sag when I picked it up. When I bit into it, the dough had a perfect crisp crunch. Not a hard, dried out crunch. A perfectly toasted crunch. And the pizza, seemed to at least, taste all around better. It was so much better that I order these crappy pizzas and just put them in the fridge and eat them later.

Also, this oven can be used for more than just pizza. You won't be cooking a turkey in it, but that's only because it won't fit. It cooks chicken breasts perfectly. And they are the juiciest chicken breasts ever! You can throw them in frozen or thawed and it will cook them perfectly. It almost seems impossible to screw it up.

I use this "pizza" oven for anything that will fit in it. Because the food tastes great and it seems almost impossible to ruin anything I put in there.

The only negative thing about this unit, and it's not really a big deal, is that you can't use the oven and the microwave at the same time.

If you need a new microwave and make little things in the oven or would like to but don't feel like heating up your stove for small things, get this microwave. You will not be sorry. I'm thinking about getting another one and storing it in case this one ever breaks! Lol!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best appliances we have ever bought - (UPDATED June 2013), February 4, 2011
cartervoter (Long Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Updates are down below.

We love this combo oven and wish we had bought one years ago. We saw it at Sears while looking at dishwashers and thought it looked useful.

The footprint for the microwave/pizza oven is a little smaller than that of our last microwave.
The microwave oven is similar to our previous Kenmore microwaves.

The pizza oven is new and outstanding.

Among the items we've loved after cooking them in the pizza oven are
Rising crust pizza, regular frozen pizza, italian bread pizza, reheated pizzeria pizza, Bisquick crescent rolls, Pepperidge Farm garlic bread, chicken nuggets, mozzarella sticks, pigs-in-blankets, buttered rolls, apple turnovers (see image I uploaded), etc.

The pizza oven does not need to be preheated, which cuts preheating/cooking time in half for many small frozen items. We have an electric oven, so figure we are saving money on baking.
...
UPDATE It's now June 30, 2011
and we still love this double oven. We are especially happy because we realize we hardly need to use our regular oven, which used to make our house uncomfortably warm in the summer.

Safety features. 1. The baking (pizza) oven is controlled by a timer (like the microwave) so it turns itself off. 2.The pizza oven stops heating if the drawer is opened.

Our household consists of 4 adults and a young child. Because we have a wide variety of work and school schedules, we often prepare or reheat a meal for only 1 or 2 family members at a time. The combo oven is ideal for our needs.

We've found that the pizza oven is very useful for baking fish sticks, french fries, etc. I've found that the Apple turnovers have consistently come out much better than they did when I used my regular electric oven.

My grandson and I can use the pizza oven to cook "Jiffy" cakes in a small pan. He also loves to cook his own homemade pizza using rolled out refrigerated (Pillsbury) rolls for the crust.

I think this microwave and pizza oven would be especially useful for people who live alone.

The non-stick pan for the pizza oven is super-super-easy to clean!!!

The pizza oven has a cooling fan which will run, if necessary, when the drawer is shut at the end of a session of cooking. I have a feeling that the fan helps prolong the life of the oven. The fan will NOT run if the drawer is left open.

UPDATE: June 15, 2013
After almost 2 1/2 years, the oven is going strong. The non-stick pan in the pizza section still cleans quickly and looks good.
I've uploaded a picture of a frozen turnover I cooked in the oven drawer today.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a FANTASTIC oven combo., December 8, 2011
We have had this oven combo for almost a year now and we have had no problems with it. The microwave is large and cooks fast, but the pizza oven is the thing that makes this unit special. It will cook anything that is relatively flat, pizza, rolls, fish, steak, hotdogs, etc. There is no preheating, just set the temp, hit start, and it beeps when its done just like a microwave.

Two things to note. One is you cant use the microwave and pizza oven at the same time because they use the same timer. Two if you have a problem where the pizza over drawer is hard to close here is the fix. Feel under the front of the drawer, and you'll feel two oval bumps. File these down a little at a time until the door closes easily for you. But be careful not to file them down all the way because the door may not stay closed!

Hopefully this unit will go on sale someday and when it does I plan on buying a new one as a spare!

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Wanted to Love It, February 1, 2012
Cats Have Staff (East of Middle, North America) - See all my reviews
After our 9 year old Whirlpool microwave died I decided to get a Kenmore because the Kenmore that I had before the Whirlpool lasted 14 years. I Loved the idea of the pizza oven, and that part worked well (slow but well) to heat tortillas and frozen flat bread. Baked one mini muffin to test it and that came out well. However, in two days' use the microwave had two malfunctions that required unplugging to reset it. Once after a two or three minute cooking cycle it just shut down, clock and all. Dead no light, no digital read out, nothing. The second time at the end of the cooking cycle I opened the door retrieved the plate and closed the door to have the light and turntable come back on and continue running. The cancel button seemed to have taken a vacation and after trying the buttons and opening and closing the door a couple more times I unplugged the unit again.

Observations: Not a very strong 700 watts, sometimes leaves cold spots in the food.
Cabinetry not well put together and not of very high quality -- I expect More from LG who made this for Sears.
Hate that plastic film they put all over the outside before they put the pieces together -- its impossible to get all of the little stringy hairy-looking bits out of the seams.

Cannot use timer and cook at the same time.
Cannot use microwave and pizza oven at the same time.
No reminder beep once the cooking cycle is complete.

NOTE: Make sure you pick it up from a physical location, I had to return two to get one that functions... well, sort of functions. (I really wanted that pizza oven!)
Due to defects I'm returning #3 tomorrow, getting diff brand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this!, December 11, 2009
Stacey (Marion, IA) - See all my reviews
We have had this product for several months now and love it. Absolutley no problems with the microwave and it gets a lot of use. We have three kids 14, 11, and 9 and they use the popcorn settings all the time. We have used the drawer for pizza, baking cookies, mozzerella sticks and hot wings and all cooked fabulously. The pull out tray in the oven is super easy to keep clean. The finish is wearing a little but for the amount of use it gets I find it acceptable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pizza lovers, January 11, 2012
I purchased this yesterday and already am in love. Debated because I got it at Sears for $199 and was more expensive than a lot of other models. Took it home...stopped and picked up Papa Murpheys...put them in, pushed the correct pizza zone button and 15 minutes later had a perfect pizza. Cant wait to try the other stuff

3.0 out of 5 stars problems with the timer and the microwave turntable, September 15, 2013
I bought this model 9/22/12 because the reviews were mostly very positive on Amazon. My experience with the product has not been perfect. I like the design and what it can do, but the timer doesn't work properly for either the microwave or the pizza oven. It seems to short out after 2 seconds, and I have to push the start button again until it goes through the complete time cycle. Also, about a month ago the microwave turntable stopped turning. Now I am working on contacting Sears/Kenmore to see if the warranty covers repair or replacement. Use caution if you are considering this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars SEARS - RE-MANUFACTURE THIS PRODUCT - I'LL BUY ONE AND A SPARE!!!!!, September 11, 2014
GmommaX3 (INOLA, OK, US) - See all my reviews
Would give this 10 stars if possible. This is by FAR the most versatile appliance I have ever owned.
I have been so impressed with it that I decided I wanted another one just in case, the dreaded"it is no longer available" might happen.
Cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I am. This little workhorse has been used almost daily since I purchased it 3 years ago.
SEARS/KENMORE - PLEASE BRING IT BACK!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›