4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and watchable
Forget about the lack of ethics of Dreyfuss' character, the immaturity of all of the cops involved, and the predictability of the story ... the film is just a real pleasure to watch.
Richard Dreyfuss is really funny. The scene where he starts doin' his stupid little dance to The Rhythm is gonna Getcha just had me crackin' up.
Aidan Quinn is surprisingly...
Published on June 5, 2000 by John K. Reed

3.0 out of 5 stars was better in the 80's
Published 18 months ago by Claire

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and watchable, June 5, 2000
John K. Reed (Harrisburg, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stakeout [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Aidan Quinn is surprisingly effective as an escaped convict and do I need any words to describe how good Madeline Stowe looks... I didn't think so.
You'll laugh a whole lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie but the DVD offers nothing!, August 14, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Stakeout (DVD)
I awaited this DVD release along with the sequel and Down and Out in Beverly Hills. All three (3) of these movies offer nothing, not even the trailers were on these DVD's. Very dissapointing. Instead they put 2 trailers of other releases they have coming out.
Anyhow, even though the DVD's have no special features what so ever, they do however have pretty good picture and sound. Stakeout has always been one of my favorite movies for it's campy-ness and I'm glad Touchstone finally dedicated to release it.
5 Stars for the Movie
4 Stars for the Picture & Sound
1 Star for the Special Features
If you haven't seen this movie, pick it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars When It Puts You In Hysterical Pain...Its a Good Comedy, June 16, 2001
This review is from: Stakeout [VHS] (VHS Tape)
There have been lots of movies that Ive seen that have made me laugh from time to time while watching, but 1987's "Stakeout" with Richard Dreyfuss was one of the best comedies of the 80s. Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez play two joking and bumbling police detectives, who are assigned to a seemingly boring stakeout of the house of an escaped criminal's girlfriend. After Dreyfuss though, broken up after his wife leaves, falls in love with the focus of their investigation...he digs a hole for himself so deep he finds it hard to be a lover AND a cop at the same time. Its a perfect scenerio, when Dreyfuss does his best to keep his relationship across the street from the eyes of his collegues, and himself out of trouble. The only one who knows of this escapade is Estevez, who watches the hilarious antics of his partner through a camera across the street. Until I saw this movie I never took notice of Richard Dreyfuss, and I saw the Emilio Estevez of the 80s in many troublemaking roles of hard-core youth kinda movies like "That Was Then, This Is Now". Needless to say this hysterical movie is was a different and perfectly played out comedy...that worked so well they HAD to make a sequal: "Another Stakeout". The 1998 movie "This Is My Father"'s Aidan Quinn was the perfect bad guy in "Stakeout", this time without the heavy brogue. What can I say, it's a great movie, give it a try if you like the actors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stakeout is about two hilarious cops on a stakeout., January 12, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Stakeout [VHS] (VHS Tape)
Stakeout was an excellent movie about two police officers who are assigned on a stakeout. Neither wished to sit around and do nothing so they decided to break a few rules. Of course this resulted in many problems and their solution had me and my friends in stitches. I would recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a hilarious cop movie. Recommended age: 13-125.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Good After 25 Years, March 4, 2012
drkhimxz (Freehold, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stakeout (DVD)
Combination of suspense and fun, not exactly subtle, but fun nonetheless. Dreyfus is just fine as the Cop who can't say No, the action is both humorous and tough, the Girl is as Girls are supposed to be, the support able in their roles. Just one defect I noticed this time round watching the film. Neither Dreyfus nor Estevez have the heft to be entirely credible in the hand-to-hand fight scenes. Modest size guys like Cagney, Robinson, Raft, Bogart, Ladd and other toughs of their era must have had directors or cameramen with the knack of making them seem much bigger than they were. A film worth seeing even if you saw it the first or second time around,

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than most cop thriller, December 30, 2005
Bomojaz (South Central PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stakeout (DVD)
Richard Dreyfuss is excellent as a cop on a stakeout (along with partner Emilio Estevez) of pretty Madeleine Stowe (they have to watch her house through the night), and he falls in love with her. Before the movie is over there's a big car chase and an exciting climax in a lumber mill with a killer (Aidan Quinn). It's pretty standard fare for this kind of cop movie, but the script is above average - especially the dialogue - and Dreyfuss's performance is right on target. A very entertaining movie; definitely worth a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two moustaches, May 28, 2011
This review is from: Stakeout (DVD)
I first saw Stakeout when I taped it of ITV on Saturday March 27th 1993. I did a lot that day. I went to an open day at the Lloyds Bank HQ, I went shopping for clothes, shoes, and video games (I ended up buying Streets of Rage) and Golden Axe). Stakeout was one of many movies I first saw on my little portable in the bedroom. I had always been a fan of Richard Dreyfuss after seeing Jaws at an early age, and it was nice to see him play a tough cop for a change.

Chris Leece and Bill Reimers (Dreyfuss and Estevez) are a pair of Seattle detectives assigned to some dull case. A crook has escaped from jail and may or may not visit his old girlfriend (Madeline Stowe). Chris and Bill are stuck in the apartment opposite her and spend all day peeking between the blinds in case something/anything happens. But Chris can't help snooping around, spies on her in the shower, gets invited to dinner/bed, and falls in love with her. But when the boyfriend does come back he's not too happy at another man wearing his pajamas.

Stakeout alternates between dark and violent, to light comedy/romance, then back to dark and violent. Though it's not an inconsistency that really affects the film in any way. John Badham's rugged, grainy photography keeps the overall tone firmly in the action movie genre, while the humorous touches help to build character. It's a juggling act, but everybody manages to do it well.

Hardly worthy of any special recognition in the cop genre, but still highly watchable.

4.0 out of 5 stars An funny action-packed film., January 18, 2002
This review is from: Stakeout [VHS] (VHS Tape)
When a dangerous Psychopath (Aidan Quinn) has escape from Prison. Two Inept Seattle Cops (Oscar-Winner:Richard Dryfuss & Emilio Estevez) are sign to protect an attractive woman (Madeleine Stowe) from the Psychopath. But one of the cops has fall in love with the woman.
Directed by John Badham (Wargames, Short Circuit, Nick of Time) brings an Engentic Action Comedy. Terrific Performances by Dryfuss and Estevez. Written by Jim Kouf (The Hidden, Another Skakeout). A winning film. Grade:A-.

3.0 out of 5 stars was better in the 80's, March 10, 2013
Claire (Mt. Pleasant, S.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stakeout (DVD)
I remember liking this movie when it came out back in 1987 but that was probably b/c I was going through my Brat Pack/ Emilio Estevez phase. Now watching it over 25 years later it just doesn't have the same appeal. Some of the other buddy cop flicks I've reviewed here have been better, funnier, such as Running Scared. Nighthawks was also good but not really humorous. I like seeing a younger Aidan Quinn in this movie. However, this movie seems a little dated which is too bad but I guess not every movie can stand up under the test of time. Oh well. I like the Mr. Mister song at the end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still enjoyable after all these years, June 7, 2009
This review is from: Stakeout (DVD)
I have always enjoyed this film.
Funny, interesting idea. Good script.
Even with WAY OLD MOVIE TRICK-CARS RUNNING INTO GARBAGE CANS, cars in car chases running into each other, that type of thing.

Now we have 2 Oscar winners in it. Dreyfuss & Estevez had good chemistry as the 2 partners.

Stowe in her short film career, all I ever remember from her in the 2 films I saw her in (remember, she went NO WHERE after this, her only hit movie) was her taking her clothes off.

An older DVD, needs to be released.
NO extras.

Since it is older, nice to have a chapter search page.
BUT, WHAT I CAN NOT FIGURE OUT. A 2 HOUR MOVIE & ONLY 10 CHAPTER STOPS?

And, widescreen the way it should be seen.

The unnecessary sequel I saw once & was NOT funny. Stick to this, the original.

Stakeout
Stakeout by John Seale (DVD - 2002)
$9.99 $6.54