1,398 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product, easy to stay motivated!
I bought this mini-elliptical after reading all the reviews on this and other similar products. I bought this item for three main reasons:
1 - Low price
2 - Small size
3 - Portability
Published on August 29, 2008 by N. Katz

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not perfect
This is a fairly compact, noiseless and easy-to-assemble machine and it does its job.

Published on March 8, 2008 by sgme

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product, easy to stay motivated!, August 29, 2008
N. Katz (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
1 - Low price
2 - Small size
3 - Portability
I like the elliptical movement because I have bad ankles, and treadmills and steppers hurt me after a short time working out. I don't have room for a full-size elliptical machine in my house, and this turned out to be the perfect size. Plus, it's small size made it easy to move around the house to be where I wanted to use it. I like to work out while watching TV to keep my mind elsewhere and work out longer, and I can pull this machine (about 25lbs) in front of the TV in the living room to watch TV with family (yes, they laugh at me, but it's worth it), and then pull in front of my bed in the bedroom to watch a chick flick that no one else wants to watch. I even put my elliptical in front of my computer to watch Netflix movies online! It's easy to carry around.
Another great thing is that, because it's small, it is MUCH cheaper than a regular elliptical machine so, even it it only lasts a year or two, I can buy another one and still have not even come close to half the money I would have spent on a regular machine.
Sure, it doesn't have the arm movement, but I find that no handles makes me work my core by staying balanced (really not very difficult, haven't ever fallen in the 2 months I've had it), and I can even carry small weights to really work my arms while I'm doing the cardio workout of the elliptical.
I like the computer that tells you how long you've worked out, how many steps you've taken, and how many calories you've burned. Simple and straightforward. Another great feature: it's incredibly quiet to use!
The best thing about this is that it is easy to stay motivated, because I can watch TV anywhere and still use it, and I don't have to go outside in the hot California sun to work out! It's really a great machine, and a real value for the money. I used Super Saver Shipping to get mine, so I get a great workout several times a week for the price of a couple of months at the gym and without the hassle of driving somewhere just to work out. I love it, and recommend it to anyone that wants to get in shape!

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not perfect, March 8, 2008
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)

The counter is placed out of the way, between your ankles, so you don't have to stare at it while exercising (unless you exercise while staring at your ankles) which to me is a plus. Also, the counter only accounts for the actual time you spend exercising, so if you go get a drink of water and return, it self-pauses, which is cool.

The machine does occasionally rock slightly from side-to-side during use which I'd imagine could cause injury. Also, the machine doesn't glide easily during strides as it does on a regular elliptical; it occasionally jolts. This can be jarring, especially if you're not used to the unusually short strides on this machine. I recommend using this while you have something to stabilize yourself if this happens (I use it in a doorway)

Not the best machine out there, but it's certainly affordable and easy to use, a great purchase for a small space or for someone who wants to be able to stow away exercise equipment easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars 15-Day Review, October 8, 2010
jneeni (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
Normally, I take reviews with a grain of salt. I work in advertising, so I'm well aware that companies often hire freelancers to write positive reviews for their products in order to improve sales. That said, I figured I would write an honest review after using this elliptical trainer for about half-a-month.

I received the trainer on about the 20th of September and have been using it at least every other day since. It was extremely easy to piece together (I have put together a Bowflex Treadclimber in the past, as well as a StairMaster so this was practically nothing at five parts) and even easier to use. However, the stride IS significantly shorter than that of a standard health club elliptical--after about ten minutes of using the trainer, though, I didn't even notice the short stride.

I bought the trainer as an alternative to running or biking outside since the cold weather is settling in and I wanted no excuses when it came to maintaining some sort of exercise regimen. I must say that I absolutely love this little machine.

PROS:
~ Provides a good workout for your money spent, with a fair range of resistance level, and the lack of handles forces you to engage your core muscles to maintain your balance.
~ Lightweight, easy to move and provides a more productive way to watch TV than sitting on the couch or snacking.
~ Allows for both forward and backward movements, providing a small amount of variety to an otherwise monotonous routine. (Let's face it. It's boring to use a machine for most of us out there.)
~ Easy to assemble, moderately affordable in comparison to larger, higher-quality gym machines, virtually silent in operation.
~ Good for apartments - I live on the second floor and my neighbors have never heard me.

CONS:
~ The digital counter is inaccurate and faulty. This isn't a problem for me, as I use a chest-strap heart monitor whenever I'm working out (I have a mild heart condition) which more closely tracks things like heart rate, calories and time.
~ There is a bit of wobbling from the main unit but nothing that would throw off balance or cause injury if the product is used correctly.
~ If you suffer from balance impairment issues, this would NOT be a good machine for you - the lack of handlebars requires a steady posture.

Since I've owned the trainer, I've noticed a very significant change in my body. That said, I tend to do 45 mins to an hour every other day on a few notches below the highest resistance. I pair my sessions with a set of 3 lb. hand weights and that really revs up my heart rate.

I have tried out almost every type of machine out there (I have been a member of three different health clubs) and would DEFINITELY recommend this trainer from what I've seen so far with it if you're looking to keep active and have few other options.

(I'm 25-years-old, 5'7", 131 lbs. and in fairly good physical shape.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, you can use this while sitting at your desk, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
I read through every description and review I could find before I bought this because I wanted to know if I could use it at my desk while sitting and working. Nothing really answered that, so I got in anyway. And now, it is clear that this thing is the missing link in my fitness program. I'm basically sedentary for 8 hours a day at work. Not anymore. I did 14 miles on it yesterday and am up to 12 miles today, and it is only 11am.

Here's the deal: Sit down at your desk with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. If your feet aren't flat on the ground, lower your chair until they are. Now measure the distance between your knee and the desk (measure to the bottom of the workspace area, to see how much distance you have before your knees knock up against the desk when you lift them). If you measured 7 inches or more, you are fine and can get this thing with no problem. If you measured less than seven inches, take off your shoes and try again. When I took off my shoes, I had a seven inch gap. Generally, the highest your knees will go is 27.5 inches from the ground. My desk is 28 inches from floor to the bottom panel of the workstation, so I never knock my knees.

Assembly is easy, the machine does not rock at all if you assemble it correctly. The instructions tell you to turn the machine around if you are using it under your desk, and that is correct. Resistance can be adjusted easily with a dial, and there is a meter that scans through distance in miles, time used, calories burned, etc, while you work out. It shuts off automatically. You can even pedal backwards to vary the workout. You can move your chair close or farther from the machine as well.

Some considerations:

1. You really need a minimum of 27inches of height under your desk for this to work well. Take off your shoes, lower your chair, use those desk raiser pads from Lowe's or Home Depot if you need to raise the surface of the desk.
2. Your chair could pose a problem. I have an Aeron chair at work. The legs are a little close together, but far enough that I don't knock the pedals of the machine. I wish they were farther apart because then I could scoot all the way under my desk. The legs of my chair are 14 inches apart at their widest point. 15 inches would be perfect. Anything less than 14 and you won't be able to scoot under your desk while pedaling.
3. Lift up your toes and just pedal with the ball of your foot to get an intense workout for your calves.
4. I use this and I also have a FitBit. Unlike when sitting on a yoga/balance ball, pedaling this machine doesn't change my steps walked or climbed on the accelerometer of my FitBit, which is nice. Sometimes, on a bouncy ball, the FitBit thinks you are climbing steps or walking.
5. If you keep this under your desk, you can't really see the meter, mostly because it is dark and not angled toward you, it is angled up. But you can just peek under your desk and look at it when you need to. There's pretty much now way to see it while you are working out.
6. On the lightest setting, it is an easy workout, but you start to feel it after about 5 miles. It doesn't hurt my lower back, but I have lumbar support in my chair.
7. It is also a standing machine, too, but I only use it for sitting because it keeps me active at my desk.
8. There is no strap for your feet, so don't pedal crazy fast. If you are not wearing shoes, it is pretty easy to slip and knock your feet against the pedals.
9. DON'T EVER ATTEMPT TO MOVE THE DEVICE BY JUST DRAGGING THE PEDALS. I smashed my finger pretty badly when the pedals turned and pinned my finger against the side. Pull it from the stabilizer bar at the bottom, or from the base itself.
10. Push the device far into your desk, as close to the wall or back of the desk as possible. That gives you the most space. The pedals NEVER touch the back of my desk, and the cool thing is, when I'm not pedaling, this thing is a great foot rest!
11. It's a lot easier to stabilize yourself on this thing if your hands are on your desk and you are typing or just resting your hands on a keyboard or something.
12. It's really quiet. It's quieter than a fan or a gym machine.
13. For the most part, only your lower legs move. The area around your knees move too, but this is less of a bike and more of an elliptical. If you push your chair in, it really doesn't look like you are working out at your desk. You don't look as silly as you think, especially if you go slow.

Honestly, I wish I had this thing years ago. I can do 10 miles at work easily, with no problem. It just keeps me moving. I think it would be too tough to focus if I increased the resistance, so for now, the lightest resistance and a steady pace burns about 600 calories and keeps me active at my desk without interfering with work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, portable machine gives a good workout - especially for short people!, January 27, 2009
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
Here are the 2 things I wanted to know about this machine before I bought it, but couldn't tell from the product description: will it support my weight, and is it a good stride length for me?

It doesn't say so on Amazon, but the instructions that come with the Stamina 55-1610 InMotion E1000 Elliptical Trainer say that the maximum user weight is 250 pounds. I have to admit I'm very close to that, and it supports me just fine, without falling over, rocking excessively, or making loud noises. As for the stride length, I won't kid you, it's VERY short. Anyone taller than 5'3" is going to feel like they are barely lifting their feet. I'm 5'0", and I still found the stride length a bit short initially, but I got used to it after only a few minutes. And don't worry, the short stride length does NOT prevent you from getting a good workout. You really feel it in your thighs. And while you can't change the stride length, you can adjust the tension, go forwards or backwards, and of course, you control your own speed.

Other reviewers have mentioned that the stride is a bit choppy or jerky, and they're right; but again, this is something you get better at with practice. I found it really helped me to stride smoothly if I had my weight forward over my toes. I was scared to lean too much at first, but the machine did not tip forwards as I feared - it stayed solidly on the floor.

It only took me about 5 minutes to put the elliptical together - and all by myself, too (the instructions say 2 people should do the assembly together, but I didn't need any help). It's also light enough to carry from one room to another if you need/want to.

My last concern was about noise, since I'm in an apartment with flimsy walls and floors. The machine does make a sort of whooshing noise as the pedals turn, but it is not too loud - I'm sure it won't bother my neighbors, and if I wear headphones I can't hear it myself either.

I highly recommend this elliptical trainer to anyone looking for a cheap and easy home workout. People who are short like me (say 5'3" or under) will find it especially suitable!

5.0 out of 5 stars LUBRICATE !!!!, June 8, 2012
Stephen J. Jaros (Baton Rouge, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
I have seen SO MANY negative reviews that say this machine falls apart after a few weeks. Same thing was happening to me: within two weeks wheels were grinding, ball bearings were falling out, it looked hopeless. THEN i decided to spray the movement joints with WD40 .... Problem solved! I lubricate FREQUENTLY, every 3000 calories burned or so, and now have used it for four months, half hour a day, about 500 calories a session with no problems!

Just lubricate frequently and this machine gives a GREAT workout, will pay for itself in three months. I am a 6' tall, 200 pound man, 48 years old with bad knees, and love this elliptical.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good but fell apart after 4 months, October 27, 2008
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
I loved this product. Unfortunately, it is now falling apart. One of the foot rests is coming off the bolt holding it to the machine. We have tried to fix it but the part is plastic and now unfixable. I am very disappointed as this is the perfect way to get a quick workout in while watching TV. The item should not break after only 4 months of use and so I must attribute the problem to poor quality materials.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this little machine..., April 4, 2008
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
I had mixed feelings about purchasing this because of its size and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get a good cardio on it. Boy was I wrong. When I workout on this my heart rate ranges from 145-160 which is exactly where I want it to be. It's very sturdy but does take a little getting used to as far as balancing on it but you can get a great workout from it. The strides are much smaller than what you find in a gym but that's expected. I think it's a very effective piece of equipment for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars This equipment requires regular maintenance - but it's still great for the price, November 7, 2011
Tri Cao Nguyen (South El Monte, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
Since there are so many reviews on this product out there already, I'm going to do my best to make this review as useful as possible for those who have run into problems or think they may potentially run into problems with this machine before purchasing.

All the major parts of the machine come pre-assembled out of the box so setting up the Elliptical is easy. The problem with having a pre-assembled machine however is that you don't get to see all the little components that make all the major parts up - and this can be problematic when you need to repair it.

The manual that comes with the E1000 is invaluable since there is a piece-by-piece diagram to refer to should you need to order replacement parts. However, since there is no guide to actually assemble the device in its entirety, you're going to need someone a little mechanically inclined to open things up and fix them should the need arise.

My wife and I have used the machine religiously every day since we got it back in May (great results too). We have had a few parts fail on us that we believe are exactly the same problems others have experienced in their negative reviews. By identifying these problems and then fixing them when they come up, you should be able to make your machine like new the day you got it - if not even better than before. 4 parts that you guys should be familiar with very quickly are...

#08 - C-Ring
#31 - Large Washer (16.3 x 24mm)
#32 - Pedal Arm bushing
#36 - Roller

The first 3 parts are all related to one another as they all go on the Left or Right Pedal Arms. The Pedal Arm Bushings (#32) get worn over time VERY quickly if you use the machine a lot. Since we used our machines every day for at least 2 hours, it was only a couple of months in before ours wore out and the pedal arms started to wobble. Finally the day came when we were exercising and we heard a loud metal CLANK followed by a ricochet sound of the C-Ring (#08) and Larger Washer (#31) go flying out into the great void never to be seen again. On further inspection of the now collapsed pedal arm, we saw that the Bushings were so worn out they had started to grind up against the pole itself and leave black dust everywhere on the bottom of the machine. We were relieved that the wobble of the arms was related to this little part and not the arms itself - since at this point we were getting ready to call it a total loss once the arms completely failed. When we got our replacement parts from Stamina and changed out the new Bushings, the arms felt stable again and all was well like new.

The Roller wheel (#36) attached to each pedal arm is also prone to wearing down. If you were one of the unlucky ones to get a gray colored wheel with your machine, then these will break down very quickly compared to the black ones you should of gotten. These wheels are no different than in-line skate wheels you find for roller-skates - so you need the ones with a proper bearing load rated in ABEC. On one of our machines, the pair of roller wheels we got were ABEC 5 bearings, while another pair were ABEC 7 bearings. So if you noticed any strange sounds coming from your wheels like high-pitched squeaking or rough sanding - chances are your bearings in the roller wheel are about to give out.

Even with the above problems, keep in mind that the price we paid for the E1000 was under $100 each, and it's really a great compact machine to work on compared to your simple stepper. As long as you keep an eye on things when they're about to go bad and fix them, you should be really happy with the E1000.

UPDATE: May 07 2012

At last, our machines have finally broken beyond repair. The main cranks on both units (#68 in the parts manual) have fractured and cracked. The reason this happens is due to the strain on the metal after excessive heat and force day after day wears down the hinge connecting the pedals to the crank.

For what it's worth, we liked the unit while it lasted. We got results out of it, it was compact, we used it religiously since the day we got it back in November 2011 and although we did have to make it go under regular maintenance - it wasn't a huge hassle to fix the minor things. Shame it wasn't built to last (complete failure not even up to a year), but you get what you pay for.

3.0 out of 5 stars Compact and Practical, February 17, 2008
This review is from: Stamina In-Motion Elliptical Trainer (Sports)
First one arrived broken, had no problems with return/replacement.

Very easy to assemble and does a good job for a low price. Some people may have a bit of trouble keeping their balance, but I had no difficulty after a few spins on this -- I think trying to maintain balance only enhances the effects of the workout. Small computer does a decent job.

Biggest cons would have to be that 1) the range of motion is definitely smaller than on a "real" elliptical and 2) the resistance setting isn't all that great.

All in all, if you have a small place and don't want to pay $40+/mo for a gym membership, this is a great alternative to running up and down stairs.

edit: I'm going to drop this another star. After a few months of use, it gets very squeaky as others have mentioned.

Stamina 55-1610 InMotion E1000 Elliptical Trainer