5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought it!
This is really a nice machine and it gives you a great workout. I can see the difference already.
The people that Amazon use to handle delivery were great, on time and very helpful. Now the fun begins!

Published on December 6, 2009 by LAH

3.0 out of 5 stars Not thrilled
Published on December 31, 2009 by W. Rector

3.0 out of 5 stars Not thrilled, December 31, 2009
This review is from: Stamina AeroPilates Pro XP 557 Home Pilates Reformer with Free-Form Cardio Rebounder (Sports)
This looks like a nice piece of equipment and is a step up from the base model which we had before. However, the quality of this unit could clearly be better. The first issue is that the rails come in two pieces that have to be bolted together. It is virtually impossible to get them to line up completely so that there isn't a small step from one rail to the other. This means that you can feel a small thump every time you slide over it. This drives me crazy. The second issue is the footbar. It is removable, but the fit with the brackets attached to the unit is horrible. It has two spring loaded balls that are suppose to snap into the holes on the brackets attached to the unit, but the fit is so poor that they never align. This unit comes with springs and the connection that is welded to each end of the spring looks like it was welded by a high school shop class...very messy! Other than those issues the quality is acceptable. I wish we had purchased a more expensive reformer because it appears you get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought it!, December 6, 2009

Instructions for assembly are very good and tools provided were all you need, short of a screwdriver for the wheel replacement (will explain). They suggest you have someone to help you with assembly, make sure you do this, the machine is heavy. The key to putting this machine together properly is the alignment of the rails at midpoint and that really requires two people.

My machine also arrived with a set of "high grade" white wheels which you could replace the standard grade (black wheels) with. Since the standard wheels were already on the machine. I elected to go with them and replace them in the future, big mistake! After all the work to put the machine together properly the wheels only lasted 2 weeks before they started to fall apart, making the machine bumpy and noisy. I was not abusing the machine in any way but using the rebounder really took its toll on the wheels. So I would highly recommend you change out the wheels right away and save yourself a second assembly (you have to take the entire machine apart to put the wheels on). The high grade wheels are superior and show no sign of degradation. We also found on the second installation that alignment of the rail system went much better if you tighten the screws like you would the lug nuts on your car tires, each person on one rail and working slowly on each side (you tighten one screw 3 turns, your partner does the same) that seam needs to be perfectly smooth or the wheels will start to break down quickly.

The instructional DVD's are very good and the results are even better, this really does get you in shape. Hope this info helps and you enjoy the experience as much as I have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great equipment., December 8, 2012
After reading all the reviews for this and the 556, I decided to purchase the 557 solely because it had springs. I am very happy with my purchase. It arrived very quickly (I am a prime member) and in good condition. It was well packaged. I was able to put the entire thing together by myself without any problems. The directions were very easy to follow. All the tools come in the package so no extra tools are needed.

Several reviewers mentioned problems with lining the tracks up. I had no troubles. Another reviewer mentioned she felt the bump when the wheel ran over the tracks. No problems here. I don't notice a bump. I have not found the machine to be noisy either. I do however have it on a gym mat that holds it in place and probably reduces the noise.

As for the machine itself, it feels very sturdy and I can do all the exercises I have practiced in classes I have taken. My one and only complaint thus far is the foot bar. It does not have much cushioning and I found it to be painful at times on my feet. I will probably go to the hardware store and find some extra foam to put around it. The DVD's that came with it are more for the beginner and I have since purchased another DVD with more advanced exercizes.

But overall, this is a really great choice for an in home reformer. I am going to purchse the box to go along with it. One more thing. I almost purchased the head/neck pad as an add on but my reformer actually came with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value-Great Workout., December 23, 2008
I have used my AeroPilates reformer for 30 days straight. I used the level 1 video that came with the reformer for a few weeks then started using the level 2 video. They both are just over 30 minutes. I began seeing results within the first week. I now have definition in my biceps, triceps, quads and abs. And, I feel very stretched and relaxed after each workout.

I haven't used the rebounder so much. It's an excellent ab and leg workout but I'm not sure if it's doing as much cardio as I want. I want to try it again with my heart rate monitor, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The machine itself is good. It's very solid--there's no shaking during the workout. The pulley system does squeak some. My biggest complaint is the foot bar. I fight it every time I need to move it. Luckily, I don't have to move it much.

I think this is a great value given the cost of pilates reformer classes and the quality of the workout; there's nothing better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pilates!!!!, May 21, 2008
L. Rose "Lin1putt" (Mountainside, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this pilates machine! It was relatively easy to put together - it took me about an hour. the instructions were clear and easy to follow. I like the video and the exercise map. I feel very comfortable on the machine....I would say I am as comfortable on this as I was on the one at the gym! It is great!

4.0 out of 5 stars ok for the price., May 4, 2011
Mary (California) - See all my reviews
First off, assembly is indeed difficult. I believe it would be easier if the base were attached to each end of the reformer first before connecting the rails. The most difficult time that I had with assembly was with the rails - it is the first assembly step after removing the parts from the box. The reason I found that step so difficult is that each side of the reformer is at a different height when the base is not attached. Also I assembled the unit by myself and I tweaked my back just a little bit. I'm fine, but I really recommend you have two people present to assemble this product.

Now, on to the functionality: it is a true reformer, but certainly not as nice as one you would use in a studio. The footbar is narrow and uncomfortable making footwork and full-body integration moves a bit painful. I ended up wrapping the footbar with a rubber pad to increase the circumference to be more like a professional studio machine. That seems to have helped. The hand and footstraps are rough and I expect I will replace them with something more comfortable. Also the footstraps have a small circumference so larger folks will find them difficult to use for movements requiring the straps be placed just above the knee. The springs do not offer enough variety for resistance, especially on the lower end. I have been practicing pilates on studio style reformers for years and I also have a regular resistance training routine - I am quite strong - yet I cannot ever imagine using two green springs at the same time. I would like to see one green spring replaced with a spring that is less resistant than the blue spring to resolve this. Finally, I can see that the carriage wheels are beginning to wear yet I have only had the unit for a week. Clearly those are not quality parts and will need to be replaced.

With all that I still feel this is a good investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars love the trampoline rebounder, February 21, 2008
S. Simpson (Missouri, USA) - See all my reviews
This machine is great for all the pilates work, just like what I have used at the pilates studio and I love the trampoline rebounder. It's like running in the sand and getting an ab workout at the same time. Very easy on my knees. I love it. My belly's flattening out and I am getting the same amount of cardio that I was getting on the treadmill, but without the pounding and jarring.

1.0 out of 5 stars Never was able to assemble and had to return... TWICE!, May 29, 2011
Call Me "DiverDown" (Farmington Hills, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This was one of the most frustrating and un-fulfilling experiences I've had with any online purchase to date. The product arrived with the tracks and platform pre-assembled, which would have been great if they had been put together correctly. Unfortunately, the part labeled "12" in the assembly instructions that attaches to the tracks labeled "9" & "10" was installed upside down. I tried to disassemble this part and reattach to the tracks, but a couple of tiny plates inside the assembly made this impossible (likely the reason that this combination of parts is pre-assembled by the manufacturer). The domino effect of the manufacturer's absence of quality assurance was that I was unable to complete assembly.

So I figured this was a one-time deal, called Amazon to order up another unit, and went through the labor and aggravation of repacking the original machine and arranging for shipping the return (which for some unknown reason they couldn't accommodate when they delivered the new machine, causing more inconvenience - this is Amazon, not Stamina Products). Last night I unpacked the new arrival and to my utter discouragement, it too is assembled incorrectly. The only plus was that I checked it before diving in too far.

This is like Ford forgetting to install the ignition in an F150 or Apple forgetting to include an "Enter" key on a laptop - makes the unit totally unusable. If a manufacturer can't even take the time to assure proper assembly at that level, I wish them luck - they're gonna need it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Aero Pilates Reformer, March 26, 2013
This machine enables me to push myself without injury. It's so easy, I was tempted to do more than the recommended beginner program. I'm so glad I stopped. I got a good work out in just 30 minutes. I could feel it the next day, but I felt good, not sore. I would recommend this machine to anyone that has allowed themselves to get out of shape, because this is easy and you will get results without killing yourself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Very Smooth..., May 31, 2014
DELIVERY: As far as purchasing this item; I wish it was available through Amazon Prime. Dates kept changing for delivery that required signature; no carrier was listed; customer service was kind; but I believe it was "drop shipped" and that was why it took forever to get. When it arrived in-state we ended up having to pick up the item ourselves or wait for 4 more days to get it while it was only 20 minutes away.

TIPS: As one other reviewer noted, the alignment takes forever. When working on each side, if you are working alone, place the screws in to one rail, but loosely then go to the other rail. When putting both halves together of the second rail, alternate screws from one half of that rail to the other without tightening. You will have to adjust and readjust the tension to get the rails aligned. It was almost as if the part was not machined right. The second half for me aligned very easily. You have to feel the inside to make sure there is no misalignment because the wheels run across the seam as you exercise and can get damaged if not properly aligned.

PACKING: The machine box was torn and in poor shape, but the machine was fine. All pieces were packed well. Box opened easily. All parts were there as well as tools needed to assemble.

ASSEMBLY: My Husband was here, but I wanted to assemble by myself. The base is heavy and awkward, but I purchased the mat for the machine and that helped when I had to move the machine and while assembling. Once you get past the alignment of the rails, the rest is very simple. That being said, my fingers hurt this morning because of all the tightening I did with the narrow Allen Wrenches. It took about two hours for me to align it (I have to have it perfect). So total time was about 3 hours to assemble for me alone.

PRODUCT QUALITY: Very sturdy steel, aluminum rails are good, the platform you lay on is WIDE. The shoulder pads were okay, but could have been more comfortable. The head rest... I am glad I bought the pillow because the head rest that comes with it is THIN and has no neck support. I looked at the picture time and time again while I waited to see if the pillow would fit on this model, but could not tell and Stamina customer service did not know. I am glad I bought the pillow. The price is less expensive on QVC but they charge tax and shipping. I bought mine on Amazon and paid no tax or shipping, so the price ended up being the same but I got the product within 2 days. The glide is not smooth. I don't know if this is because it is not corded but on springs or what, but it is not smooth. It isn't bumpy, it just doesn't glide smoothly. I am going to put some silicone spray as suggested in another post and see if this might help some. The springs are sturdy and covered for the most part, but the tension could be greater.

APPEARANCE: Looks great. The wood finish gives it a nice studio look.

OVERALL: I would recommend it highly, but if you buy it from this seller be prepared to wait two weeks for delivery. Take your time with alignment of the rails. Buy the mat and the head and neck support pillow, it finishes the product (I also bought the box and pole that can be used on this unit and am still waiting for that to arrive). This product includes a wall chart and workout dvd.

Rate and Discover Movies