5.0 out of 5 stars Started Good, Now Disappointing, Maybe Dangerous
Published on September 5, 2009 by marquis

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for short people
This rower does not provide a leg workout for people 5'4" and under in my opinion. I just got it today and do not feel any resistance when rowing until my legs are already fully extended. I am a 5'4" female.
Published 18 months ago by Cormom

5.0 out of 5 stars Started Good, Now Disappointing, Maybe Dangerous, September 5, 2009
marquis (New England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stamina 1215 Orbital Rowing Machine with Free Motion Arms (Sports)
We just assembled our new Stamina 1215 Orbital Rower. It took about an hour and a half. The machine feels pretty sturdy to me. Is it worth $279? Hard to say, but with everything so overpriced these days, who knows? The acid test is usually how long something lasts, so it will be worth the money if it gives several years of good service. I've done my first half hour of rowing and it's a fairly smooth action and relatively quiet. On some sites, a few people complained that the lowest setting is too tough for beginners, and I agree. But you can set the arms even a little lower than the bottom number, and this helps. I've had two rowing machines in the past and this one is as good or better than they were. I like the ability to set the back of the bar up higher which aids in getting off and on the rower. I was concerned about the 'orbital' action of the arms, but find it's easy to adjust to, and in effect, you can just row as normal and not use the orbital ability at all. I'm giving the unit a 5 for now since it seems to meet my expectations. I'll update later on, whether good or bad, once I've had the chance to use it several weeks.

******Update after 2 weeks of use ****

This is the update I promised after using the rower for a couple of weeks. In my first review I asked myself the question, is the rower worth the money. I answered that by saying it depended how it held up over time. Well. The answer to that question is a resounding NO !!! If I could, I'd rate the unit one star for poor quality control, but Amazon's rating system won't let me go back and change it from the original 5 stars. I read the couple of reviews saying the shocks had broken down after a couple of weeks, and the one that slammed the unit for using plastic parts instead of metal, especially at this price. I chose to ignore those concerns in the face of the other positive reviews. It turns out that was a big mistake. After 2 weeks of use, the plastic rod that's used to attach the circular connecting loop on the end of the shock to the frame, snapped off. This piece is extremely important because it has to take the force of pulling back on the shock every time you row. And Stamina chose to make this piece out of cheap plastic instead of metal and it broke after using the rower a total of seven 30 minute sessions. This is totally unacceptable, not just for the inconvenience of having the rower disabled, but also the injuries it could cause if it breaks while you're intensely rowing. Since other people have shocks that broke after only 2 weeks, it's an obvious design flaw based on trying to save a few pennies using plastic instead of metal in a critical area. I also blame myself for not checking on the warranty. It's only 90 days for parts and labor. As you can imagine, because of this design flaw, I fully expect the other shock, or even the new one, to break after enough stress, and if I'm beyond the 90 days, I will have to pay for shocks for this unit. The shock broke on Thursday the 24th. I called Customer Service at 3:30 Central Time (they're supposed to be open until 5 CST). Nobody answered and nobody returned the call that day. The next day they called and took the info and said I would get a replacement shock in 5 to 7 days. So I'll lose a minimum of a week on my exercise program. Today is Sept. 30th, and I don't have the shock yet, so we'll see how long it takes. It's not very comforting to feel these shocks could let go any time during the heat of an intense rowing session causing injury or damage. I've had two other rowing machines over the years, both of which were used for extended periods of time, and the shocks were never an issue. Stamina has to be aware of the problems with these shocks because of the increasing complaints, and should issue a recall on them, and supply all users with new ones that support the connector with metal and not plastic. Until then I would recommend you avoid this rower completely.

****Another Update****

I've just become aware from the Epinions site that another person has had problems with the shocks on the Stamina stepper also, and is frustrated in having to buy replacement shocks after the warranty runs out. In my opinion, this means there is absolutely no question Stamina is aware their shocks don't last. And of course, it's the customer that has to pay additional money, above the purchase price, to keep the unit going. I can honestly say I will never consider buying a Stamina Products piece of equipment again.

****One Last Update****

I got the replacement shock and have had a few rowing sessions since then. But I began noticing the same problem another reviewer had with the rollers. The seat actually started to rumble, and it was because the plastic rollers were breaking down and getting grooved unevenly. The last two sessions were really annoying to say the least. Today the seat jammed up in mid-row and I couldn't continue. One of the back rollers has a deep, uneven groove in it, and won't stay in place. The other back roller is also getting grooved. I called to get replacement rollers, but now I'll lose another week of rowing while I wait. By the time I get the rollers, I will have had the rower 6 weeks, and will have lost two weeks to breakdowns. So if you're thinking of getting this rower (I hope not), you may have to plan on only using it 2/3 of the time, unless you build an inventory of spare parts. This has not proven to be a well made machine, as this is the second plastic part to break down in just a few weeks. I won't update my review any more. I think you can tell how I feel about this machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stamina 1215 Orbital Rowing Machine, December 30, 2008
After using this exercise machine for about a month (9 total exercise hours), I have found it is basically a good machine for the price. After 4 hours of use, one of the hydraulic shocks developed a "dead spot" at the start of the stroke. I called the Stamina toll free number for customer support. They sent out a replacement shock which seems to be working OK.

The 4 roller wheels on the seat slide are molded plastic. They aren't exactly round so they "rumble" a little bit. It would be nice if they were smooth without mold marks on the running surfaces.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for short people, June 21, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Rower - Hands down, April 19, 2012
I've been using this product since Christmas of 2010 with more strokes than I can count. It works as good as it did the first time I used it. Reasonably priced, and I foresee being able to use this for the next few years easily. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

******************Update on Dec 8 2012****************************
Can't count how many strokes Ive made on this machine. We have put it through a ton of use, and it's as good as the first day of use. The reviews I have seen on this product say that it is not a great product either A) put it together incorrectly or B) weigh to much to use it.

Both myself and my girlfriend (185 and 130) use it and we have never once had an issue with it after 2 years.

Still a 5 star product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, June 21, 2009
I bought this Stamina 1215 rower two weeks ago. After 10 days of use, the rollers that allow the seat to move up and down the frame as one rows collapsed. Naturally I'd already tossed out all the packing materials and the box. Oh, well. What I did was, I transplanted the arms, and the hydraulic resistance units (think cheap shock absorbers) onto a 20-year old Altero rower - the resistance units for that gave up some time ago, and that company is out of business, but now it's back on the road, using the Stamina's resistance units. Compared to this one, that old Altero is built like a tank. This one is, in my estimation, worth maybe $15. Yes, it's less expensive than the similar Kettler, and which now wish I'd sprung for; but it's also not worth the $279 currently being charged for it, in my estimation. All the parts are cheap and designed to be sold, as opposed to having been designed to be used. The "computer" is a cheapie and its little screen is tough to see. Do yourself a favor: Give this one a pass. It's a horrible piece of crap.
-JFT

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously works, May 26, 2011
I have been using this product for over a year, and at first I thought it was a bit flimsy, especially because at the time I weighed 280. Well it has held up for the entire time, no issues, and I have lost 100 pounds using only this product for 1 hour each day and dieting, and by dieting I mean eating sandwiches, salads, soups and the like 5 days a week and then allowing myself to eat regular foods on the weekends. If you have the personal motivation to work relatively hard on the machine each day and for at least 20 minutes to half an hour, you will lose weight and build some decent muscle mass as well. You won't look like a body builder, but you will have some tone and definition and certainly more muscle than people who don't work out at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not understanding the negative reviews..., March 30, 2014
I read A LOT of reviews before I purchased this one and compared it to many different brands. Not only am I tall at 5'11" but I am large bone structure (physically heavier/dense weight) and very strong for a girl. So I had a lot to consider. I didn't want something with easy peezy arm resistance, or would fall apart on use. During a car accident 18 months ago I fractured cartilage on the femoral head, tibial head, and tibial plateau. At the time I was training for a marathon. Since then I have had 2 surgeries and will never run again. The hardest part of this is finding a workout that gets my heart going while easy on the knees. I found it! This machine is great! Yes it is a bit lower to the floor than expected, but what was I really expecting? Follow the instructions for assembly and you are good to go! I have had no squeaking, squealing, or breakage after using it 3-4 days a week. I am at the lowest arm resistance and it makes me happy to know the entry level resistance is enough for now until I need to increase it and I still have 5 more levels to increase. If you are worried because of other negative reviews, I was too, and I don't regret going with this machine!

4.0 out of 5 stars Row row row your boat, May 14, 2014
I have previously owned larger more expensive rowing machines and the Stamina compared favorably to most of them. I moved into an apartment and didn't have room for a large rowing machine, the Stamina is compact in size without giving up much in performance. One of the most surprising features is one you never hear, its very quiet. A nice feature if you like to workout early in the morning or late at night. If I was designing it I would probably have done a couple things different. I would have put soft rubber on the hard plastic foot pads. You need to use the foot straps, it isn't a good thing to have your feet pop out when your sitting on wheels on an inclined slope. The slope adjustment has only two positions up and down. One is too easy and the other is a little tough if your just starting out. It would also have been nice if they had included a kick stand of some type to hold it upright and out of the way. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the product and would recommend it. I've been rowing for exercise for some years and find it to be a very effective low impact exercise that works many areas of your body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time to get fit., January 2, 2013
The Stamina 1215 Orbital is a solid product. This workout will make you sweat and you feel so good afterwards. Assembly took my husband about 45 minutes. I'm 5'1 and it works perfectly for me....I've had knee surgery and this product has been an excellent workout and strengthening my muscles each and every time I row. Your upper body and core get most of the workout , because the glide is very fluid and one does not need to put so much pressure on joints. However your whole body is getting a fantastic workout. Do it while watching your favorite show and you will be rowing for 30 minutes without realizing how you did it....Go for this product if you need to jump start your body and metabolism....I have not worked out in years, the first time was a killer, because it forced me to introduce my belly to my knees again...and that's a very good thing...Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have lost one size already, May 20, 2013
I would recommend this rower for a low impact workout for your entire body. I am 55 and wanted to tone my arms & legs and this rower is doing something dramatic for my entire body without hurting my joints..I have lost a size in a month, thighs are smaller. I wished it worked abs more!

Settings at the lowest point are a good start, go slow build up to more strokes as you get stronger. It is a hard pull, but that is when your other muscles come into play. I work a 30 to 40 minute daily routine while watching court TV. Love it! I try to do a little more every day. Shows calorie burn, distance, etc.

Stamina 1215 Orbital Rowing Machine with Free Motion Arms