Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 17, 2001
This is by far one of my favorite children's books. I think all of us have been picked on or criticized at some point in our lives, and it is our reaction to that criticism that measures our pride and determines how we are perceived by others. Molly Lou Melon showed her friends that she was very proud of who she was and could do anything she put her mind to. This story teaches a very valuable lession not only to children but adults as well.
on September 16, 2001
Molly Lou Melon is the shortest girl in the first grade, has buck teeth that stick out so far she can stack pennies on them and has a voice like a bull frog squeezed by a boa constrictor. But she also has a very wise Grandma who has always told her to walk proudly, smile big, sing out loud and clear and "Believe in yourself and the world will believe in you too!" Unfortunately, her family moves away from Grandma and now Molly Lou Melon has to go to first grade in a new school. And on her first day she meets Ronald Durkin, class bully. He calls her shrimpo and bucky-tooth-beaver and follows her around calling out honk-honk and making fun of her schoolwork. But Molly Lou remembers everything her Grandma told her and soon Ronald Durkin is put firmly in his place..... Patty Lovell has written an uplifting and engaging picture book with a gentle message that won't be lost on young readers. Her simple, yet powerful text is complemented by David Catrow's bold, bright and joyous artwork and together they've authored a terrific story that's summed up on the book's last page, in Molly Lou's letter to her Grandma..."Everything you told me was exactly right." Perfect for youngsters 4-8, Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon is a treasure you'll want to read and share, told with great insight, wisdom and humor.
on September 6, 2001
Stand Tall Molly Lou Mellon is a heartwarming and enjoyable story about a little girl who is taught how to love herself and be a strong individual, a wonderful lesson for children of all ages. My children absolutely love this joyful and enlightening character. It has become a favorite bed time story.
on February 23, 2006
This is one of the best children's books I've ever read, and the illustrations are fantastic - lively and full of color and emotion. Being rather small of stature myself, I was fortunate enough never to have been bullied because of it, but that may be because I shared Molly Lou Melon's life philosophy that using your brain to outwit the bully, being an interesting person, and simply being fair are excellent tools to help you get through life. Molly LOVES life for all it has to offer, and that is an excellent message to send to children everywhere. Since finding this book, I give it as a gift to all my friends and families with children so that their child knows that being an individual is a wonderful thing to be. My son just loves Molly too! I can't recommend this book highly enough. Pick it up NOW!
on April 16, 2005
Even if you get your copy from the libarry - you won't want to take it back! Both boys and girls are captivated by the charming story and pictures. I invited my daughters little girl friends (ages range from 4 to almost 7yrs) for an impromptu 'tea' and story time and chose this book to share. I can't think of a better fun time filled with strong, positive values within a hilarious story. I am sure the neighbors must have thought we had rented a clown for the day because the laughter and fun amongst the kids was so loud and so frequent. I wish one could buy posters of these great illustrations along with the highlight quotes because they are so terrific that one wants to surround one's children with these positive messages. The illustrations are so beautiful that one wants to custom frame them. Great read-a-loud story which kids relate to (both boys and girls) and also the kind of gift book you want to buy a stack of hardcover copies of and save for all those special 4 to 7 yr old birthdays coming up this year. For tired, busy parents who prioritize reading despite their busy day, you will find that this story, along with "Hip Hip Hooray for Annie McRae" and "Ordinary Mary's Extra-Ordinary Day" & "Blue Ribbon Day" are become your own firm favorites and re-charge your own batteries while you read. -Of these, "Stand Tall..." and "Hip Hip Hooray for Annie McRae" are the funniest. For more laughs for this age group also buy "Dish Ran Away with the Spoon" by Stevens-Crummel.
VINE VOICEon June 9, 2002
I discovered this book in my local library and my two daughters, my husband, and I all LOVED it so much we got our own copy. It has an engaging and humorous story, wonderful illustrations, and an excellent message. It is appropriate for a wide range of ages - my 3 year old loves it but it is about a girl in first grade so older children will relate to it. The message that what is inside a person is more important than what she looks like is something I want my daughters to believe. Molly Lou Melon is such a likeable and wonderful character that we all fell in love with her. It is truly an excellent book!
on March 26, 2008
I began to read this book to my daughter when she was two and she loves it! The book is great because it has so many things to look at; there are great illustrations of animals, vehicles, kids, etc.

I also love that Molly Lou Melon has such great self esteem and doesn't resort to pouting or bullying when other kids are mean to her. She just keeps on doin' her own thing and in the end wins over the school bully. This book is now on my list of books to give as gifts to other children!
on June 25, 2015
I thought this book would be good for my almost-4-year-old who will be starting preschool in the fall. I was disappointed by the too simple, too short, and very silly storyline that is so silly it almost doesn't make sense in places; the part about stacking pennies on her teeth... I get it the point, but it was just goofy to my little one, and not in an amusing way. Was just a bit senseless, even to my child who thinks nearly everything is funny.
on December 15, 2015
Molly Lou Melon is a sweet story of a girl who looks and sounds different than most of the kids her age. What young child in elementary school hasn't felt this way more than once? This is perfect for reading to children who are struggling with being accepted at a new school and shows how much a relationship between a grandma and grandchild can have on a life. The illustrations really bring this book to life and will have your own children staring at them even after you're done reading the book.
on September 18, 2015
Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon could not be better. It's got great silly illustrations and a wonderful protagonist. Molly Lou Melon moves to a new town and a bully at her new school decides to target her. Molly Lou doesn't bully back, but she stands her ground and the other children end up admiring her. A great book for any child who worries about being themselves.