4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read For Any Catholic, Byzantine Or Otherwise
I've been searching for some basic knowledge of my Byzantine heritage for quite some time. "Standing In God's Holy Fire" has quenched my thirst. I now understand why the Byzantines have the type of liturgy that we have. This book is a "Must Read" !
Published on June 23, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars MEDIOCRE CHRISTIAN ORIENTALISM
The title line from Yeats should give it away: This is an exercise in Christian Orientalism. It says good things about the Orthodox Faith, from a western point of view that barely if at all escapes condescension. McG. defends the "Eastern Church" where it needs no defense and by his defense "doth protest too much."

Orthodoxy is classic Christianity. Period. The...
Published on June 4, 2008 by Alexei Fyodorovich

4.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read For Any Catholic, Byzantine Or Otherwise, June 23, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Standing in God's Holy Fire: The Byzantine Tradition (Traditions of Christian Spirituality.) (Traditions of Christian Spirituality Series) (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars MEDIOCRE CHRISTIAN ORIENTALISM, June 4, 2008

Orthodoxy is classic Christianity. Period. The West has departed from it. It should give up its superior posturing and come home the the Faith. Orthodoxy is not picturesque; it is true. Byzantium is not a place to sail to for exotic thrills; it is the ancient home of the Christian Church. Go there not for a thrill, but to learn.

Postscript: The original version of this review was uncharitable and unkind. I did not escape the condescension of which I accused its author, and I ask his forgiveness. I have most of the same criticisms of the book, but I should not have treated its author so harshly.

Rate and Discover Movies