5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Book Written on Raising Children, September 17, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Standing on the Promises: A Handbook of Biblical Childrearing (Paperback)
As a pastor, and a father of four, I have always hoped for 1 book, definitive and courageous, to give out to families in desperate need of guidance for their family. I needed a book to cover the hard facts, without compromise... This is that one book. Every pastor should own this book, for the good of his family, and the good of his flock. In the Christian home, teenage rebellion, although common, is not normal. It is not acceptable. It does not have to be this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Biblical book on child rearing I have ever read!, May 17, 2000
I could not stop reading this wonderful book, it is ballanced, and Biblical. I love the positive approach and the emphasis on loving children, and creating a pleasant atmosphere in the home.
I have recommended this book to everyone I know who has children, and I highly recommend it to Amozon.com readers

5.0 out of 5 stars Parenting with hope, August 24, 2003
Jeffrey (Soap Lake, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a wonderful treatise on the scriptural foundation for hope in parenting and the heavy call that God puts on us as parents to fulfill His promises in our family. It does not turn a blind eye to the choices our children may make as they grow older. But our culture has turned so far away from the providence of God that we mistakenly believe that hope is only in the individual choices each of us make and in those our children make. This book is a corrective to that notion, centering us back on the hope that God has placed the solitary in families. We are not alone. Our children are not alone. And so they have a gift of spiritual growth that they would not have if they were raised in heathen homes.
I recommend this book to all parents looking for guidance as to the foundation of hope upon which they parent their children. I believe that in our culture of blind humanistic optimism and individualistic Christian pessimism, this is an important topic. [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another home run ..., March 1, 2010
Like Shepherding a Child's Heart, this book made an impact in the way I parent my children. I will be referencing it for many years to come. I listened to Doug's Loving Little One's sermon series at about the same time I started this book and came away from that blessed and edified as well. I think what I got most from the sermons, or at least what I keep hearing in my head right now is "remember their frames" and what I got from the book is, like all of Doug's material, we (parents) must ground everything we do, specifically child-rearing, in our understanding of Scripture and also that we need to strive to teach our children to "love the standard, vs. conforming to it." I was particularly helped by the distinction of "house-rules" vs "God's rules," and how we should distinguish those in our homes. The chapters on discipline were very helpful as well. All-in-all, a must read for Christian parents in my opinion. I used to think that the Tripp book was the be-all, end-all, it now has a companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best parenting book after 12 years of parenting, April 22, 2005
L. Stone (Atlanta Georgia) - See all my reviews
If I have read one book on parenting I have read 30 and this is the creme de la creme. I have read the majority of Doug Wilson's books and once again he tells you things you already know deep down inside as being truth, but he expands on them in such a profound way that really helps you see the role that God has placed on us as parents. Douglas Wilson helps to show why it is so important to follow the direction of Gods teaching. We have to answer for the lack of parenting, in todays times it may seem archaic to parent this way and it is tough if you do not start out this way but I see a difference in my own children and I know when they are an adult they will have a biblical out look on the world instead of conforming to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound, Bible based book on parenting., May 5, 2013
N. Cheser "Nanny_Kid" (North/Central, Wyoming United States) - See all my reviews
I am a parent of 3, now adult children. Because of the distance between where we lived and where our oldest lived we have not been as involved in our 4 older (now ages 8-14 yrs) grandchildren’s lives. Our other 2 children and their families live close; 1 right next door to us, the other 45 miles away. Thus, we are much more involved with our younger grandchildren, ages <1yr to 2yrs old. We’re seeking to provide meaningful gifts for this period of their lives as well as reading books ourselves to be better parents and grandparents. We want to be the best grandparents we can be while understanding that our children and their spouses are our grandchildren's parents and as grandparents we are to come along side them and support them as parents.

Standing on the Promises is excellent in that it provides sound parenting advise and is Bible based. It is one of several we will be providing for our children to help and encourage them as they raise their children in a Christ-like manor.

I would recommend it not only for parents, but grandparents as well. I wish I'd had this book when my children were little.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, July 26, 2010
The book is well written and I enjoyed. It's not a page turner, and some parts of the book take a little time to sink in. I have recommended this to all the parents I child sit for because the basic principles are there and its all laid out in black and white.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very encouraging!!!, July 22, 2010
This book is a great encouragement to all parents who are looking to raise their children according to the biblical standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pointers to consider, November 7, 2014
An interesting book. Good pointers to consider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book!, August 9, 2002
By A Customer
This is an excellent book, I highly recommend it to any one with children!

Standing on the Promises: A Handbook of Biblical Childrearing
Standing on the Promises: A Handbook of Biblical Childrearing by Douglas Wilson (Paperback - May 20, 1997)
$15.00 $11.82