Standing in the Shadows of Motown
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Director/producer audio commentary: Paul Justman/Allan Slutsky trivia track
- Multi-angle jam session
- Music video montage
- Dinner with the Funk Brothers
- Hit song sing-along lyrics
- Featurette: "At Long Last Glory"
- Featurette: "The Ones That Didn't Make It"
- Interactive: virtual recording studio
- Full movie playable in Hi-Resolution Windows Media 9 Series from your PC's DVD-ROM
- Funk video biographies
- Three full-length BMW films: Beat the Devil, Hostage, Ticker
Top Customer Reviews
For those who demand to know more about The Temps, Tops, Supremes, and Miracles etc., please either read their autobiographies, watch made-for-TV movies, or listen to their box sets. This movie is about the Funk Brothers, not Motown singers. This film is to celebrate the brothers' contribution to American pop music and to finally validate their hard work, creativity, and how they influenced generations of future musicians.
If you watched a documentary, at least be aware of the subject matter before you criticize the production.
As a musician, I had two reactions to this movie:
1) Make it longer! I want to know and hear everything!
2) Wow, Motown music was MUCH more complex than I ever imagined when I was listening on cheap radios in my youth. These guys were basically jazz musicians, and the productions were very complex. If I had realized the level of musicianship that went in to these songs, I wouldn't have been so eager to do simple rock n' roll cover versions in my high-school and college bands. Doesn't mean the music isn't great, however.
Here's hoping that the Funk Brothers realize the fruits of the success that they obviously deserve. Enjoy the music!
Right off the top, random people are asked if they are familiar with Motown. Yes, each one says. Then they are asked if they know who played the music for those Supremes, Stevie Wonder, Temptations, Marvin Gaye songs. NO, they all answer, one even guesses "The Pips". It's sad to know the world just doesn't know who these men were/are. Until now. Where was Berry Gordy during the filming of this documentary? It is heartbreaking these men got absolutely no props (awards, notable mentions) during the pinnacle of their careers. But such is the plight of a truly talented musician most times. Heard, but never seen.
I watched this movie amazed at the extreme talent these men had and still do. The live performances with them laying down the original bass grooves, guitar licks and rythym arrangements AS HEARD ON THE ORIGINAL RECORDS as they were first recorded, are amazing. They said it themselves, the music is what made the song. Anyone can lay vocals down, but the groove is what stays in your soul.
The antecdotes (with reenactments) were comical and tragic. The scene with the original FB driving in a car one snowy night reminiscing on their traveling days is priceless. (pigfeet and cigars? lol) I love the black and white shot of the little boy with a home-made guitar at the ant hill and house. There is too much to mention about this film.Read more ›
long overdue. it's too bad that some of the guys passed on before the film was made and hardly received the respect and glory while alive.
last, hardly least: joan osborne's version of "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" just may bring tears to your eyes.
(Having been a great fan of music for many years) i am ashamed/embarrassed to admit that until this movie i had no real idea how gifted a singer this woman truly is.
i sat in awe as she belted out this song and could not stop myself from playing it a few more times after the initial viewing of the film.
i guess there is no alternative for me, but to go out and buy a CD or two by this great talent.
see this DVD. it's a gem. thank you, funk brothers, for enriching our lives through your magical gifts!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Saw this originally on TV special. Saw a 2nd time and deciced had to have it .Published 12 hours ago by The Banker
A 'must have' for all the music history buffs out there who dug the videos about the Wrecking Crew & Muscle Shoals musicians. Read morePublished 18 days ago by Dave from the States
One of my favorite movies of all time. If you were into The Wrecking Crew or Muscle Shoals you will love this too!Published 1 month ago by 7.62x54
I bought this for my father for his birthday. He absolutely loved it.Published 1 month ago by Morgan
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > 4-for-3 DVD
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Music Videos & Concerts
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Performing Arts
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Lionsgate Home Entertainment > All Lionsgate Titles
- Movies & TV > TV