5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring life
Published on March 7, 2008 by Avid Reader

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost the book after reading the first interesting chapter, unable to rate
Unfortunately I lost this book and never replaced it. I enjoyed reading the first chapter. Vivian is a very strong lady and I wanted to read her story. This is not a rating only because I was not able to read the book.
Published 9 months ago by Marilyn J. Grutman

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspiring life, March 7, 2008
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
As a women's basketball fan I was familiar with C Vivian Stringer and her Rutgers team. What I wasn't familiar with were all the details of her upbringing in a poor but proud family and the struggles she went through as an African American, wife and mother dealing with a high profile career, illness of her daughter, death of her husband and various other unique challenges. Coach Stringer presents all of her struggles in an honest and humble way. I especially enjoyed reading how she developed her coaching style over the years and seeing how she put her values into practice. If you like "overcomer" type stories or sports stories, you'll enjoy this, its the type you can't put down until you finish. I can understand now why her players seem to have so much affection and loyalty for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding in basketball and memoir genres, March 29, 2008
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
Am amazing book. Very hard to put down. Coach Stringer shares her life, including stories of her own mistakes, setbacks and bad decisions. She tells us about her happy family and her encounter with racism at high school cheerleader selection. In college, her passion for sports collided with academics and she almost flunked out. And she met a handsome athlete named Bill Stringer.

Stringer's adult life combined professional triumph with personal tragedy. One child remains paralyzed from misdiagnosed spinal meningitis...and speechless from complications when the doctors refused to listen to Vivian's pleas: "I know there's something wrong. Please take another MRI."

Later her husband died at 47 and Stringer herself was diagnosed with breast cancer. She leaned heavily on family to survive these crises with dignity and strength.

As a basketball fan, I especially liked the sections on teams, games and championships. And I would like to have seen more. The most moving scene comes when Stringer describes a New Year's Eve practice when a lackluster team was inspired by Cappie Pondexter, Tammy Sutton Brown and a handful of Coach Stringer's former players. These players had just a few days off for the holidays, yet they came to Rutgers to help their coach and talk to this team from their perspective of "been there." And the team went on to get past the Final Four -- almost all the way to an NCAAW championship.

Ultimately, I welcomed the opportunity to get to know more about Vivian Stringer. I've seen her standing tall at Rutgers games, wearing red, unflappable, and yes, every inch the tough coach in a feminine designer suit with good jewelry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, Great Coach, March 26, 2008
I started following Rutgers Women's basketball just a few years ago and wanted to find out what makes C. Vivian Stringer tick, as well as to catch up on earlier teams that she coached. The book filled that need admirably. The writing is excellent, details informative and the message uplifting. She has a stoic and yet combative view of life and her story explains why.

No book will ever reveal what a person is like and if you've ever heard her speak, you know that Coach Stringer has poetry in her that barely peaks through in the book. Her reaction to the recent Tennessee clock debacle included, "I seem to have an eraser after my name..."

The perpetual struggle that she is involved in as she coaches and deals with her other challenges and the effect that she has on others is what she is and she is a treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Standing Tall, April 8, 2008
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
Vivian Stringer has been a part of my life since 1993, when her Iowa Hawkeyes and my Ohio State Buckeyes traded wins and losses against each other on the way to that year's NCAA Final Four. We have never met, but have always considered us family because of what is common in our lives; the coal mines, women athletics, being African American, having extreme amounts of drive, rising to heights in our professional lives, our faith and hope for those we teach. I am a professional musician.
As I finish Standing Tall, I hold back the tears swelling up in my soul. But tears are a sign of strength. Thank you, Vivian, for taking the time out of your extremely busy life to collaborate with Laura Tucker and Crown Publishers on this wonderful book. I hope America reads it, lays our souls next to your huge heart and learn what it takes to stand tall and prosper through tragedy and triumph.
I look forward to sharing this book with my loved ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars The C. stands for Champion!, March 15, 2008
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
Most of us heard about her from the fall-out of Don Imus' disgusting comments regarding her team; but in her memoir you will learn that the strength of character she showed during those dark days was ingrained in her from her solid family values. Coach Stringer is a woman whose challenges have only served to make her stronger, better, wiser. And those of us who are privildged to know her can only be amazed by her talent, beauty and fortitude. I can honestly say that the C. in C. Vivian Stringer truly does stand for CHAMPION!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome & Inspiring!, March 27, 2008
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
What a wonderful book! Highly recommended to everyone! Gives hope to all that have a had a struggle like Vivians! From a poor family to coaching one of THE BEST womens college basketball teams EVER! Im a big RU fan and the whole team has been through alot, I commend them on their courage and with Vivian as their coach, they will soar! She's a great role-model to everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ AND MUST SHARE BOOK, April 21, 2008
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
I became interested in reading this book after I watched HBO's Real Sports feature on Vivian Stringer. I don't think I've ever even watched a women's basketball game in my 44 years of life. But I was intrigued by the courage and persistence of Vivian Stringer. I asked our library to borrow this book from a neighboring library on interlibrary loan. I got the book Saturday afternoon and finished it Sunday afternoon. I just could not put it down. Vivian writes with such warmth and personality, I felt, or perhaps just wished, she was my friend by the time her book ended. I laughed and cried, deeply moved by her writing, by her life, by her courage. She is a wonderful role model and hero to me and I have never met her. If your life has crossed paths with this strong woman, you have been truly blessed. If you have never met her,(as I haven't) you can still be blessed and touched by reading her story and carrying her inspiration with you as you face life's challenges. An outstanding book to be re-read and shared with women and men of all ages. Athletes and non-athletes will appreciate her tenacity, her faith, her courage, and her integrity.
Thanks Vivian, for an awesome book, long to be remembered and held close to the heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Growing up in Edenborn., April 14, 2008
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
I had the amazing fortune to grow up with the Stoners in Edenborn and graduate with Vivian's brother Timmy. There dad and my father Mario Tiberi were friends. Buddy Stoner was a great athelete and my dad was always telling everyone,Buddy never bragged. I can still see Buddy doing a bebob arrangement with his hands. Her mom and my mom were simular in raising a large family in a coal patch town. One car per family, going to Uniontown was an ordeal. They were the nicest family and everyone treated each other with respect. Everyone was told to get a education to further themselves, Vivian captured that essence. Mario V. Tiberi

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Warming & Inspirational!, May 29, 2008
MizzKat (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
This book was absolutely fantastic. I'm not really into sports but have enjoyed basketball from time to time. Though, I've never really been into college basketball and didn't even know who C. Vivian Stringer was before the Imus incident, I was able to gain a tremendous insight into the life of a strong, confident, and resilient woman and the women she lends a hand in raising. To learn all that she has been through and how she mustered the courage to "Stand Tall" through every adversity was so inspiring, and not just for Black women but for every woman and human being. I certainly recommend that every person take the time to read this incredible story.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!! Inspiring to all - male, female, black and white., April 22, 2008
Robin S. Dilg (Big Rapids, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph (Hardcover)
C. Viviens Stringer's book is written with such exceptional passion for life that you can't help but feel it. After reading her book I wanted to cry for joy at all of the lives she has touched and inspired. My husband devoured it in a few days. Every young person should read this book. Every woman will feel prouder and every man will be called to a higher standard. Thanks for sharing your amazing story Vivien. My feelings that we should all "live like we are dying" was embraced by her experiences.
Robin Dilg

Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph
Standing Tall: A Memoir of Tragedy and Triumph by C. Vivian Stringer (Hardcover - March 4, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01