Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Stanley 39387 EZ Outdoor Power Cord Protect Box
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Red|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 4, 2010
This is a great product if you need to use extension cords outside for any kind of extended use. I live in Indiana and have a heated water dish for my dog; this is the perfect solution to let me get the dish closer to the dog house since the cord won't reach the house. We've had hard rains (over an inch in just a couple hours) and snow (over three inches on the ground right now) already this fall and every time I've popped this open to check it's been bone dry inside.

The color is nice; no chance this is going to blend in with the grass and someday get hit by a lawn mower.

It's not totally clear from the pictures, but there is a slider inside that you can use to secure the two plugs so there's less chance of them pulling apart. A nice added feature I wasn't expecting.

The seals at the ends seem to fit very tightly around both cords (both are 16/2 with ground) and the latching system is very secure, so short of being punctured or cut by something, I think this will do its job for years to come. I'm very happy with this purchase and will probably be ordering more for stringing Christmas lights.
88 comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2011
I bought this product for two purposes: 1. Secure electronic yard equipment power cords to extension cords - works well once you figure out how to use the included parts to wedge the male and female power connectors together inside the box; 2. Provide a "waterproof" housing to connect a heated bird bath power cord over winter. There are rubber grommets on both ends of the housing. I think they'll be adequate for the job as long as the housing isn't submerged.

I'll probably buy another if I'm satisfied with this one. Instructions for the included spacers would have been nice but you should be able to figure out how to use them based on product images.

Update: This product only lasted one calendar year before separating at the hinge between the clamshell. I can no longer recommend the product.
on February 6, 2014
Our new dog (a 1yr old Beagle mix) decided to chew on the female end of an extension cord, disconnecting it from the power strip that was plugged into it, and got himself shocked for the effort. It made a small burn on the side of his mouth and scared him and us half to death! So, after veterinary treatment and a solid recovery, we looked at ways to keep that from ever happening again. One solution (among several we are implementing, including split weave cord protector and a bitter apple spray) is to seal the junction of the extension cord and the power strip in one of these Power Cord Protect Boxes. This box is a very solid plastic and locks tight, making it nearly impossible for him to get open with his mouth. I also like the fact that it makes it nearly impossible for the power strip to be accidentally pulled from the end of the extension cord.

The instructions on the package are rubbish, basically saying "insert cord, close box, done" without addressing the movable shuttle inside the box or the extra, key shaped plastic piece that comes with it. The shuttle is easy to figure out, just from examining the product photo carefully, but it took me a few minutes to find a good use for that extra piece of plastic. I inserted it, with one of the cords, into the end of the box, and closed the cover. Now the box has an easy to use and secure hanging loop, so it can be hung from a hook or nail. While I'm not entirely sure that was it's intended use, it seems likely and works well. I have uploaded a photo of this to illustrate what I mean, and hope that it proves useful to others wondering the same thing.
review image
on October 29, 2011
For thinner cords this seems like it would work well; however, for thick outdoor extension cords, it does not seal completely.
on July 12, 2013
I use this device to keep an extension cord dry that is used to charge my Chevrolet Volt. I use the daily as I plug and unplug my car. I had no issues of moisture getting inside, and it worked very well for about 4-6 months. However, very quickly the plastic became discolored and each of the two seams broke apart. Perhaps it is not meant to be used daily, but for my purpose it was not very durable.
VINE VOICEon October 29, 2010
My electric tools were always disconnecting from my extension cords unless I tied the connections in a knot! How simple this little item is but what a time and temper saver! The connections stay together, the little red "capsule" slides over and around things, unlike the knot.
Also, I use one for a waterproof protector for my pond heater connection during the winter. I could find lots of uses for these handy little boxes!
on December 19, 2013
The hole where the cord comes out only takes a small cord - the ones I have a thicker cords and they don't fit. I could squeeze them in, but then it wouldn't be water resistant. Annoying, because now I can 't send them back after I tried to get tehcord to fit - it broke.
on April 12, 2013
This product is NOT made by Stanley, but rather some third party company. It's not garbage, just wish they would change the title so people knew which one they were getting. Product looks identical, so change product info!
on April 8, 2011
The garden is situated where the NE wind screams in from the sea with cold, plashing rain and freezing temps. This item keeps the bird bath warm because it waterproofs the electrical connection. The morrning doves and finches are happy.
on December 8, 2014
I have this protecting the connection of two cords-one for my birdbath heater and the other is the long extension cord to the house. Had to phone the company which sells it to see what two little extra pieces were for-not needing or using them. The man I spoke with was very nice and helpful. Water from the birdbath can fall onto my cords, but by centering the connection under the birdbath, I minimized this as much as possible. Also used electrical tape around the top cord entrance and down the seams of the plastic. This connector box is a great idea and made of thick, sturdy plastic.
review image