Most helpful critical review
115 of 118 people found the following review helpful
Good idea, bad implementation
on July 16, 2000
I was very excited to get this ruler from my kids for Father's Day. However, I've been struggling with it for two months and have given up using it, with much disappointment. The problems:
1. You must turn on the ruler almost every time you pull out the blade. It only stays on for two minutes and then it automatically shuts down, and thus you must press the start button again. This is a nuisance.
2. The display is on the *side* of the ruler, not the top. So, you can only see the display if you pull the ruler in the direction that keeps the side near you. As a left I found it was on the opposite side of the direction I typically draw my ruler.
3. The memory function makes no sense. One would think there would be three or four separate memories to store multiple measurements before you go back to your workbench, right? But the memory is actually cumulative: Memory = Mem1 + Mem2 etc. This is great if you are measuring something longer than the ruler, but most situations are multiple measurements on one object.
4. It's enourmous, weighing several times that of a normal tape measure. Be prepared for your tool belt to list to one side.
1. The ability to add in the length of the ruler case for inside measurements.
2. The ability to display the readout in inches, feet and innches, or metric.
All told, I was very disappointed. I'm sticking with a regular tape measure for now.