5.0 out of 5 stars good portable set
I keep this as a portable set. Its got everything I need in a pinch except allen keys, but a cheap allen key set remedied that. The extensions are just long enough to reach any bolt I needed to get to.

Published on January 20, 2011 by toolguy

3.0 out of 5 stars decent socket set
I got this socket set at age 46 to replace my decades old Craftsman socket set which was stolen. I therefore am going to base my review on comparison to that set. This set is of slightly lower quality than my old Crafstman set. It is much better quality than the cheap sets you get at the auto parts store.
I figure I don't need as high a quality tool set now;...
Published on December 27, 2009 by William A. Youngman

3.0 out of 5 stars decent socket set, December 27, 2009
This review is from: Stanley 92-809 MaxDrive 60-Piece 1/4 and 3/8-inch Standard and Metric Socket Set With Case (Tools & Home Improvement)
I figure I don't need as high a quality tool set now; hopefully my days of swapping engines and fixing clutches myself out of necessity are over. I do want a good quality set so I can tighten a fan belt or tighten a bolt on the mower. This set meets that need.
One thing I like is there is a lifetime guarantee on this Stanley set. If I mail a broken tool to a PO box in Tukwila, WA, they suposedly will replace it.

5.0 out of 5 stars good portable set, January 20, 2011

There are 2 different cases in the photos. The stock photo with the sockets in the lid is what I have and its a smaller case. Walmart sell the version with no sockets in the top lid. Same set, different case.

Home Depot sells the same set under the Husky brand name (its the smaller case version)

It can me a little difficult to remove some of the sockets but I rather have that then them falling out. (the bigger case had sockets that were a little easier to remove)

From my experience, these are about the quality of craftsman from 10 years ago, slightly less quality than craftsman of 20 years ago, and eons better than the crap craftsman has been selling lately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap quality tool set, February 22, 2009
I bought this tool set to keep in my wrangler for off road repairs. It is about half the price of a comparable craftsman set. The quality is very good and it has 6 point sockets for the most part. My only gripe is that it doesn't not include a 15mm socket, which is a fairly popular size.

2.0 out of 5 stars Socket wrench doesn't reliably work in reverse, September 2, 2011
The socket wrench didn't reliably work in reverse. Had to disassemble the wrench, and remove what seemed to be an extra spring. Then manually adjusted the screws to the right tension. It now seems to work, but the craftmanship is apparently poor...

5.0 out of 5 stars First time owner: Very Pleased, April 7, 2011
I am very excited about my Stanley socket set. I just received it and couldn't be happier. This is the first time I have ever purchased an entire set of tools. I've always used my father's tool or borrowed a friend's. As a new home owner and the one usually taking care of all the things done around the home: it was time to have my own tools.

The set is wonderful. I was told I should have got a Craftsman Set it was "the only set worth buying", but I couldn't pass up the price and didn't mind to not have 'top of the line'. Now that I see them, I couldn't tell you the difference. The Stanley set has a lifetime warranty and a hard case. What more could I want.

The tool case opens and there are your ratchet, sockets and extra parts on one side! Guess this means I won't be opening it in the wrong direction and spilling everything out(as I have seen others do with their sets). Not only is the case easy to open and the tools all on one side, but they are also securely held in place should I somehow manage to open it upside down anyway. Even turning the tool case over doesn't make the parts fall out!

Dropping it while open from a few feet onto my carpet floor and they still stay in place.

Each slot is clearly marked with protruding numbers so they won't wear off like ink or paint leaving me guessing where each piece goes should I take more then a few out.

Over all, as a female handyman buying her first tools, I am thrilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every word is true, April 8, 2009
I'm glad I listened to the reviews. This is a great car maintenance starter kit. I replaced the spark plugs in my car for the first time without problems and am now contemplating a DIY brake pad replacement.

DIY is fun if you have the right tools, and this set is a great start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Same great set, but Husky, October 16, 2010
I have the same set, the only difference being that it's Husky. My only complaint with the set is that mine is missing the spring in the 6 inch extension, so the socket falls off. My brother has the same set (both were gifts) and his extension is fine, so I just got unlucky. Also, I broke the tips off 2 flat bits. I was prying with the bits though, so it's still a good set. I've used it for at least 2 years at home on a lot of vehicles (my car, a forklift, sawmill, etc) so they've been abused, but everything aside from the extension and bits works perfectly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ratchet is too stiff, August 19, 2012
Bob C (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this Stanley socket wrench set to remove a refrigerator door (and for future use). But the ratchet action on the wrench is so stiff that it doesn't work unless I am holding the socket in place with my other hand, which is awkward. I wasn't able to use this with one hand because turning the wrench in the ratchet direction would turn the bolt in the reverse direction rather than ratchet the wrench. Also, the socket with the closest match in size to the bolts still seemed a bit loose when turning, enough to make turning a slippery business. Maybe I was expecting too much, but this tool was disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter tool set, August 31, 2011
I got this socket set to start doing my own car maintenance work to save a bit of money. The wrench and sockets are solid. So far I've used it to change spark plugs, distributor cap, MAF sensor, and even the oil. Had to yank pretty hard, but got the oil drain plug off. I definitely recommend this set to anyone planning to do the same kind of work.

You might need to get a separate 10" extension bar for harder to reach spark plugs though. I used the 6" and the 3" in this set together and it barely reached my rear plugs. But I still got them out. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent set., June 20, 2010
I have yet to give these the torture test, but in my limited use they worked fine. Handy set even has a driver handle with different bit sizes, which makes it a good starter or all around set. The case is somewhat different than the one shown, all the sockets and tools are on the bottom, the parts fit snugly inside the case but are easy to remove. So your tools stay in place until you are ready for them, no opening the case to find them scattered all over. The biggest drawback is the lack of deep sockets, if you want or need deep sockets your choices are to buy a different set or purchase the sockets separately.