5.0 out of 5 stars Four in one!
Published on August 26, 2008 by John Green

The major selling point of this flashlight is that it can break apart into 3 separate flashlights. I am comparing it to Stanley MaxLife 369 Tripod LED Flashlight #95-112S, which I own, although there is also Stanley MaxLife 369 6-LED Flashlight #95-369.

Pros:
1) breaks into 3 lights - GREAT for CAMPING!, power outages, etc...
2) 3 lights...
Published on August 25, 2008 by H. Sapiens

3.0 out of 5 stars Good - but not great - limited flexibility compared to Stanley 369, August 25, 2008
H. Sapiens "Amanda" (SF Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stanley 95-155 3-in-1 Tripod LED Flashlight (Tools & Home Improvement)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Pros:
1) breaks into 3 lights - GREAT for CAMPING!, power outages, etc...
2) 3 lights independently can be turned ~120 deg - so you can have 1 pointed at the ground and 1 pointed in front of you (also great for camping)
3) when snapped into tripod, only have to use 1 of the 3 power buttons to control all 3 flashlights
4) very bright (despite 1 of my 3 being defective - spot in center)
5) tripod is very handy
6) very light

Cons:
1) Tripod is flimsy - there are little springs holding the thin plastic legs on - under regular or hard use, these do not appear durable in the least - esp compared to the Stanley Max Life lights
2) cannot point all 3 lights in one direction - so only get the power of 1 light pointed at your project when using the tripod (unless you want to work on the ceiling) - again we have the 369, so this is a hard-to-give-up feature
3) Cannot turn off 1 or 2 lights without removing them from tripod when using lights at an angle (conceivably though 2 could point in the general direction, at an angle) - so either you have the extra light on pointing wherever burning down the batteries or you have to take it out of the tripod to turn it off
4) Flashlights have a very small diameter (measure less than 1" across) when out of the tripod - they feel very small in my little hands - I could not imagine my husband would feel particularly comfortable if he had to carry only 1 around - but this is really, really minor - and may be a plus for camping if kids are carrying them
5) No low battery indicator? Appears this feature was also omitted, limiting its usefulness for emergency kits

Overall - I am docking stars because the tripod is just disappointing - the quality is not what I would expect from Stanley and seems a step-down compared to their previous Max Life products, which are very reasonably priced. Additionally, I find the angles the flashlights turn in a bit limiting. However, the brightness is really impressive and it only requires 6 batteries compared to the 9 (can use 3,6, or 9) in the Max Life. Most of my applications are garage or craft table related, so I need the angle. I don't want to have 2 flashlights on and pointing at the ceiling, so not being able to independently turn them off is a slight inconvenience. If your application is more like camping with light use - I would highly recommend this. Heavy use - again - I just wouldn't expect much longevity from the tripod. I would not recommend this for garage jobs for the same reason.

Update 12/2009: After over a year, just want to say it is still working with light use (since I was worried about the longevity), and I'm still frustrated with the viewing angles. :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Four in one!, August 26, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This flashlight is actually four products in one. There are three identical flashlights, each with two AA batteries, and a separate holder which combines the three into one flashlight. It is a bit like a transformer! The three flashlights slide into the center holder. The center piece has tripod legs that allow the 3-in-1 to stand upright, while the individual lights each have a tilt-able lens.

- LED technology is long lasting and energy efficient. The single LED on each individual light puts out a surprising amount of light.

- When the three lights are put together, any of the on/off buttons on the individual lights controls all lights. The beam of the 3-in-1 is very bright.

- The tripod legs of the 3-in-1 are actually held by a small magnet in the center holder; when you push the button, the metal leg parts disconnect from the center and the legs pop out. Actually, they don't all pop out; I invariably had to manually move one leg. But the concept is cool.

- Each individual flashlight has a head that can swivel 90 degrees, which might be useful to someone using a tool belt.

- The individual flashlights are bright enough to use at close range; I would say within 10 feet or so. The combined 3-in-1 is probably good to 20 feet or possibly further, though the combined beam is not as focused as a custom made large flashlight.

- The tripod is a nifty idea, and this would make a nice workspace light in a dark area, where you could set the light down, angle one light towards the work area, and use the other two lights to illuminate the general area.

- When working with the tripod, you can remove one light while the other two provide illumination of the work in progress.

Thumbs not-so-up:

- Since the individual flashlights are self contained, and the center holder is a separate piece, the 3-in-1 flashlight is heavier and bulkier than a custom built large flashlight. It is a bit bigger around than a 3 X D cell flashlight, and about as heavy, but not as sturdy (see below).

- The individual flashlights are molded to fit the center piece, not your hand. So while each individual one is light weight, they do not feel as comfortable as a custom made 2 X AA battery LED flashlight.

- The three individual lights slide out of the center piece. This is the whole point of the flashlight, but the unit as a whole is not rock solid. Nor are the individual lights particularly sturdy by themselves. I would not recommend this as a light to carry around on patrol. I would say that this flashlight would best as a work light rather than a "carry around" light.

- I realize that some compromises are inevitable in a device like this, but I was disappointed that it was not possible to turn off two of the task lights while the unit was on the tripod. This feature would have made for a lot longer lasting task light; one could have just used a new flashlight when the batteries went dim on the one in use. I think it might be possible to get this to happen if one put a bit of electrical tape on the metal contact of one or more of the lights, but I didn't try it. But it is worth a shot if you want it strictly as a task light and want only one light. Of course, you could remove the two lights not being used and get the same effect, though you would have to put those two lights somewhere - and then remember where later!

Conclusion:
A good task light with great features. If you need a light to perform light maintenance around the house, this fits the bill quite nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Take on Flashlights/Work Lamps, August 25, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This essentially crosses 3 flashlights together in a nice stand, which turns it into a work lamp. All three flashlights are very bright, and when combined and pointing in the same direction, are very very bright. When in the tripod base, any one of the on/off switches will control all three flashlights.

Few comments about this.
-Initial impression coming out of the package is that it felt pretty light and "plasticky". However after putting 6(!) AA batteries in it (2 in each flashlight) it feels very stable on the tripod (which has nice rubber protectors to prevent scratching)
- The lights themselves have a yellow tinge around the outside of the beam, with a purplish inside.
- One of the lights is flickering, but I think that's because the batteries I have in it are nearly run down (also using NiMH which may be the cause of the above yellow fringing).

Overall it's a nice lamp, you can even set it on the ground and point each light downward and it forms a nice area light (although not as good as a lantern style light would)

Update: The tripod aspect of it, is supposed to be released by a button on the bottom of the flashlight (that's awkward to get to), but it doesn't work very well, and the legs seem to easily release on their own. It feels like the clasps may eventually break, and then I won't be able to compact it down. Even though it probably won't be that big of a deal, because of it's size you probably would never use all three combined as one flashlight anyways, it's much better suited to a work lamp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous for night work in oil field, March 14, 2009
D. Figueroa (Clairemont, SD, CA) - See all my reviews
My husband drives a crude oil tanker & finds himself in virtually utter darkness a lot. He adores this 3 in 1 light, as he can point one light at his tanker, another at the tank & another at his fittings, etc.

He's said it's been a lifesaver on many occasions & the fact that the tripod is sturdy is another benefit when he has to set it on gravel or dirt work areas.

He has poor eyesight, so if he says it's plenty bright, it is. He's quite the flashlight 'junkie' and this is by far his favorite.

This light in combination with the 5 led clipon for his cap make working at night much safer for him.

Kudos to Stanley!

The flashlight is still going strong after months of 6-day-a-week heavy use. Hubby works at least 3 to 4 hours daily in darkness, so the fact that this flashlight hasn't fallen apart is a biggie!

This flashlight has lasted longer than my marriage did. He's still using it and it hasn't failed once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Stanley 3-in-1 Tripod LED Light, plus a fix for the flickering issue, November 13, 2009
D. Brust (Minnesota USA) - See all my reviews
I've now had this flashlight for 11 months. After almost a year of use, I have to say that I'm pretty satisfied.

As just a flashlight, I find it to be a bit lacking. The unit is a bit bulky, considering the amount of light it puts out, so I don't find it very convenient to carry around. I'd much rather carry around a standard Mag light. But, pop one of the individual lights out, and just take that with you, and it suddenly becomes much more convenient. I often find myself grabbing one of the lights as I go out for a walk. They put out a good amount of light and are very light to carry. The tilting head even allows you to place the light in a pocket, with the light shining ahead of you. The individual lights are of a nice, convenient size, but the tripod adds a lot of bulk.

As I just said, the amount of light put out by the individual units seems pretty good, but I often find the light put out by all 3 combined beams to be a bit low. Compared to other units of this size, the light just doesn't seem that bright. My guess is that it is because the light from all 3 beams doesn't quite focus on the same spot. So, you end up with 3 overlapping spots of light. Taken as individual light beams, though, the amount of light is pretty good, and the flexibility of the unit makes up for the lack of combined brightness.

One annoyance is the fact that you can't turn off individual lights when connected to the tripod. Turn on one light, and they all come on. Ideally, you should be able to press one button to have them all come on, then press another button to turn each light off individually. A workaround for this is to just pull the unneeded light out of the unit, either completely out of the unit, or just far enough so that it doesn't activate along with the other lights. This is a bit of a hack, though, so I'd prefer a built-in way to choose which lights to have on.

The real strength of this unit is the tripod functionality. Being able to set the unit up, then direct the light where you need it, really comes in handy. I'll often shine one of the lights toward what I'm working on, then have another light shining down toward my "tool pile." That way, I can see what I'm grabbing, plus see what I'm working on. I'll often have the third light shining down as well, not really aiming at anything, but at least giving off some extra light.

That leads me into one of my biggest wishes with this unit. I'd like to be able to focus all 3 lights in one direction, but still have the flexibility to shine them in other directions. One possible way to do this would be to have each light on a flexible hose (like those work lights that you can wrap around a pole). That way, you could bend them to point to wherever you want, but still be able to clip them back together so they are pointing in a single direction. I've never seen such a thing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Note that, once again, there is a workaround for this. You can slide a light out of the tripod, turn it in the direction you want, then slip it back into the tripod. It won't slide in all the way, but it should slide in far enough to be stable. Again, I'd prefer that this functionality be built in.

I should point out that you're not limited to only using the lights while they're in the tripod. You can also pull the lights out and place them wherever you like. For example, you could have one in the tripod, shining somewhere. Then have the other two on the floor, tilted so that they shine up, or towards something else.

I've seen other reviewers complain about the lights flickering after awhile. I had the same problem, and eventually determined that it was due to low batteries. After about 10 months of use, 2 out of the 3 lights started to flicker when connected to the tripod. Pull one of those lights out, and it would no longer flicker. I initially contacted Stanley, thinking the problem was a faulty unit. They said I could send the unit in for repair or replacement, but I'd have to pay for the shipping costs. I didn't want to cover the shipping, so I lived with the flickering light for awhile, not really sure what could be causing the problem (my first guess was corroded contacts). One day, while using an individual light, it just went out on me. I turned it back on and after a while it went out again. I then realized that the batteries must be low. The light never dimmed, it just stopped working properly. I then replaced the batteries in all 3 lights, put them in the tripod, and they all worked normally. No more flickering. Maybe the real problem is the lack of a battery-low indicator, as that never dawned on me when the flickering started.

PROS
+ Tripod function allows for easy workspace lighting
+ Multi-directional lighting allows you to shine the light on multiple work areas at once
+ Individual lights are very light and easy to carry
+ Glowing rings around the light area are a nice touch; these alert you to the light being left on when the light is placed on something with the bulbs facing down
+ Good battery life (lasted me 10 months, with occasional use)
+ LEDs should last pretty close to forever (no burnt out bulbs)

CONS
- Not easy to shine all 3 lights in one, angled, direction
- Lack of a battery-low indicator can cause confusion when the batteries start to fail
- Have to pull individual lights out of the unit, if you don't want them to come on
- Fully assembled unit (tripod + 3 lights) is a bit bulky
- Light flickers now and then (even with new batteries); light will flicker just once, every 5 minutes or so
- Stanley warranty service is a bit of a pain, as you have to pay to ship your unit back to them

NEUTRALS
= Tripod is a little flimsy, and the tripod release button doesn't always release all 3 legs, but these issues don't affect the functionality in any real way
= Lights have no focus adjustment, but I don't see much of a need for it

3.0 out of 5 stars New Model, New Problems, August 25, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wanted to see if this was an improvement over the Stanley MaxLife 369 Tripod flashlight (95-112S). Like many others, I had a problem with the leg mechanism breaking on the earlier model.

Unfortunately, the Stanley 3-in-1 Tripod LED Flashlight #95-155 has the same basic issue as its predecessor: a good, clever design idea tripped up by problematic engineering. The leg-retention mechanism is greatly simplified, but the legs themselves are made of molded plastic instead of metal tubes. All I can see is that, sooner or later, even in moderate use, one of the legs is going to snag or get caught on something and then either snap off or pop out and lose its spring.

On the plus side, I think that being able set it up to put out light in three directions at once or divide into three flashlights will make it a great item to have around for power failures. I don't think Stanley 3-in-1 Tripod LED Flashlight #95-155 would hold up very well in the rough and tumble world of a large toolbox or a big box of camping gear, but in a desk drawer or on a shelf around the house, it should be OK.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality - Doesn't last, June 2, 2009
I purchased three Stanley® 3-in-1 Tripod LED Flashlights last Christmas to give as gifts to my daughter, son, and husband. One arrived broken and was replaced. Now, of the 3 only 1 is still working. One of them has only 1 light working. A second one has one light working, one flashing, and one not working at all. These flash lights have hardly been used. I am very disappointed in the quality of this product. I would not recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 flashlights that can be used in concert or individually. Cute product but not essential., September 18, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What it is: In a nutshell, this is three LED flashlights that can work either individually or in concert. As individual flashlights, there's not much to say: They are reasonably bright, though I own better ones in similar sized packages. They use 2 AA batteries each. These are not heavy duty flashlights made for the elements and dropping, but for light duty work, they're fine.

Their use individually is not the lure here, however. What sets this package apart is that all three flashlights can be snapped together. When they are, one switch will operate any flashlight. In addition, small feet can be pulled from the flashlight bodies to form a small fripod, which allows the flashlights to sit on a table/floor/whatever. The heads of each of the three flashlights can be adjusted via a swivel connection, so the light from the three flashlights, in triop mode, can be similarly adjusted.

In the three flashlight mode, this unit gave off a decent amount of relatively bright white light. Essentially, this is a makeshift area light. However, because these are flashlight heads, there are only two ways to reasonably use this area light: Either with the heads aimed upward (so you get reflected light) or to the sides (where you'll find yourself periodically blinded by the direct beam). In this respect, the area light mode is inferior to, e.g. a latern style LED appliance, which is made specifically for area lighting and includes frosted or baffled glass so that more direct light can be used with worrying about getting blinded.

The question thus becomes: Is this a reasonable compromise: An inferior area light when connected and three independent flashlights when needed? The answer will mostly depend on how cheaply you can score one of these.
Personally, I already have good quality latern lamps (LED) and also good quality flashlights, so for me this product turns out to be neither fish nor fowl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much handier than I expected, January 14, 2009
I received this as a gift, and really thought it would be one of those 'gimmicks' that would be put in a drawer and never used.
I was wrong.
Very soon I used this flashlight when installing a dishwasher and a stove. The tripod is REALLY handy and the light output is better than I expected.
It was great to be able to direct the light without having to hold the flashlight. It is a decent white light, and spreads out well, so I could see the work area inside the cabinet, but also around the work area.

I've only had it a couple of months, so I don't know about the longevity, but I would expect a Stanley product to be good.

Recommended highly.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like to illuminate your work with a strobe light..., August 17, 2010
M. McCrum (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
... then buy this flashlight.

At first, I really liked this flashlight because it emits a good quantity of light and is very flexible in its uses. After about 2 months of moderate usage, one of the lights began to rapidly flicker. I exchanged the flashlight for a new one and all was well for about 3 months where I only used the flashlight maybe a half dozen times. Once again, one of the lights has begun to flicker which is just extremely annoying and pretty much renders the flashlight unusable because it is like a small strobe light. I can remove the offending light from the unit but considering the price of this thing it really irks me to do so. Perhaps this problem is limited to just this model as Stanley manufactures several other tripod flashlights. I would recommend choosing one of their other models over this one or a different manufacturer all together.

Stanley 95-155 3-in-1 Tripod LED Flashlight