5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and Practical
Published on October 7, 2009 by Daisy Primrose

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for a while - then a shock hazard. YIKES!!!
Published 14 months ago by Cee Bee

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and Practical, October 7, 2009
Daisy Primrose "Word Paramour" (Nowhereville, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stanley GR20K Trigger Feed Hot Melt Glue Gun Kit (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought this for crafting and I've had it for a few weeks now. It's very good quality, takes standard glue sticks, and works amazingly well. I love that this comes with extra strong glue sticks as well as general purpose ones, and I absolutely LOVE the plastic gluing pad that comes with this glue gun. The hot glue won't stick to the plastic work area, and it saves so much hassle when working on a project. Well worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price!, January 20, 2011
I bought this glue gun to make crafts, and what I got was a lot better than I expected.

Pros:
Good quality
Comes with glue sticks
Comes with glue pad
Includes Extra Strength glue sticks
Glue is sturdy
Glue cools quickly
Very low-priced
Comes with 6 regular glue sticks
Comes with 6 Stanley Formula II durable glue sticks
Comes with non-stick glue pad

Cons:
Flip-down stand is tiny and isn't of any use
Formula II glue sticks can sometimes be melted as an ugly yellow color

Overall, this is a very good glue gun with nice accessories for a low price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for a while - then a shock hazard. YIKES!!!, October 15, 2013
Cee Bee "CB" (Short Hills, NJ) - See all my reviews
This was a very reasonable priced glue gun which worked well for a long time. It came up to temperature quickly and the housing did not overheat. HOWEVER, this past weekend it blew the circuit breaker after it heated up. When I tested it afterward, I was SHOCKED to find out that the gun tip was electrically LIVE! Being an engineer, I like to open these sort of things up and get to the bottom of what caused the problem. I was surprised to find a sheet metal housing around the heating element and the wires which powered it ran right alongside the heater and were touching the sheet metal housing. The sharp edge of the metal had cut through the wire insulation and was contacting the live electrical wire, making the metal tip LIVE with the 110 volts. I have to say that this is a RIDICULOUS and unacceptable design flaw.

Knowing this design error, I can only conclude that this tool is an electrical hazard waiting to happen. Avoid it and buy another brand. I see that the "yellow" tool brand sells one with a ceramic heater (which being non-conductive cannot short in the same fashion this tool did). I plan to buy it next time I am at the hardware store. I can only be thankful that I was using the gun this time, instead of one of my 14 and 12 year old daughters (who use it for crafts). If you have children who will use a hot glue gun, I recommend that you especially pass on this model. In fact, everyone should pass on this gun. If you take your eye off it while it is heating up and it develops a short, it could start a fire! No thanks... not for me or you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great gun for a great price, January 31, 2011
D- (Los Gatos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Overall I am very impressed with this tool. It heats quickly and operates easily. I've had the opportunity to try this glue-gun on my daughters preschool "rocket" project and I was very pleased with the result. It worked great and the glue dried quickly. It is perfect for creating a "bead" of glue (much like a caulking gun) and is especially effective for connecting uneven surfaces. I have seen similar kits in hardware stores, but they were more expensive then this one offered from Amazon.

----------update 3-31-13---------
Still happy with this purchase. My daughter is now a first grader and now I'm using it for my son's preschool projects. The latest one was a leprechaun trap and this glue gun really helped. I've had to purchase additional glue sticks, which I found on Amazon for relatively cheap. Still recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars That's some strong glue!, November 3, 2011
This is my first experience with a hot glue gun after being disappointed over and over by various types of supposedly super glues. I needed to glue some velcro strips to a electric bicycle battery to hold some of the excess cabling so needed something that would hold the porous strips against the hard plastic battery case. The glues I tried would stick well enough initially but any time there was any force the glue would always just break. Worthless.

Tonight I tried out the glue gun with the super strength sticks and within only minutes of holding the strips against the case they are glued on hard as can be! And the glue is what I wanted, something non-rigid so it could hold up to the various forces it would endure.

The whole kit is one gun, a rubber/plastic mat, 6 all purpose glue sticks and 6 super strength sticks. The gun has a little stand built onto the bottom under the nozzle so you can stand it up when you're done with it. I actually decided not to use the mat since when you place the gun down on its stand after a few minutes a little glob of glue will start dripping out. I figured I'd just have it drip all over a paper towel instead. I'm not sure if this is normal for glue guns but I'm guessing it is since that nozzle stays hot and all.

The only negative thing I have is that the gun is much bigger than I thought it would be. No big deal really, just surprising.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent cheap tool, December 11, 2011
maddog (New Mexico) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my electronics workbench. I had been shopping for a glue gun designed for professional use and expecting to pay $50 or more. Since I didn't find such a tool in this size, I settled for the Stanley. I don't usually buy tools of this quality and when I do, I consider them disposable. If I get a year's use out this I will consider it a good deal. That's not to say this tool won't last but I'm not counting on it and if it does, that's a bonus.

It's small, light and fits easily into small hands. It takes a few minutes to heat up but nothing unreasonable - certainly no longer than it takes my soldering iron to get hot. The flow seems predictable and easy to control. The built in stand works but is flimsy and will snap off soon enough. It did drop a few drips, nothing excessive. The whole trigger,pump action seems flimsy and flexy, again, I dont expect it to last but while it does, it works fine.

Here's a tip: If you are working with something messy like glue, get an old phone book, rip off the cover and use it as a pad on which to mix glue or set your glue gun etc. When the page gets dirty just tear it off

1.0 out of 5 stars broke first use, April 14, 2012
I bought this based on the price and I have good success with Stanley products in the past. This gun is a piece of junk and the trigger mechanism broke during the first use. I ended up getting the Arrow at a hardware store and even though it does not have the best reviews on here the Arrow is a much sturdier construction and made in the USA

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY hot but bonds really well, November 3, 2011
Caroline Otto (Highland, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This glue gun works better than the three I've had in the past and I think it's because it gets so hot, the glue stays sticky longer and has a chance to really bond things together. But there's a downside to this if you're not really careful. I was making a wreath with this glue gun today. I had glued an item to the frame and waited for what seemed like ample time--probably 30 seconds or so--before picking up the frame under the spot where I had just applied glue. Some glue got on my finger and burned it to the point of blistering. Just be really careful if you're not used to using a glue gun that can get as hot as this one does.

Also, the little plastic stand is pretty lame; it folds back in about 8 out of 10 times when I set the gun down after glueing something.

But I'm giving this glue gun four stars because stuff really does together when I use it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product - and very safe, January 21, 2011
Ravi Venkatesh (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is definitely a whole lot better than the dollar shop ones I bought for my daughter.

The glue stick size it can accommodate is larger than the tiny ones you get for a dollar. It comes with an additional, brown coloured bunch of glue sticks, which are stronger than the white sticks.

The gun gets hot - hotter than the cheap ones. If you are going to give it to kids for school crafts - take some care to clear a work area for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love This, August 14, 2011
I absolutely love this glue gun. I do lots of crafts and have used it on fabric, on plastic, paper and other materials. I also had the opportunity to use the heavy duty glue on the Budweiser Chair I reviewed about the material ripping away from the grommets. I was able to do a really decent strenthening bond on the replacement chair I was sent. I don't have one bad thing to say. It flows well with a nice bead of glue, it also has a stand you pull from the body of the gun to leave it in an upright position when you don't have it in your hand.

Stanley GR20K Trigger Feed Hot Melt Glue Gun Kit