Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: NHL Stanley Cup Hockey Table Game (NY Rangers / Boston Bruins)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: NY Rangers/Boston Bruins|Size: Tabletop|Change

on December 25, 2005
Way cheaper than the bubble hockey games that go for over $1000 and still a lot of fun. Plus, the little plastic guys never go on strike !!!

The kids love it but some care is needed for the littlest kids so they don't bend the rods or break the players. I'd say from about age 8 or 9 and up should be fine with some basic "ground rules".

The three main ground rules for a long life are 1. Don't touch the players, just the rods; 2. Push the rods back in when you're done playing; and 3. Keep the puck in the goal when not in use. (I'm not sure where to get replacement pucks, I still have the original from my 1980 version.)

Younger than age 8 or 9 should probably be supervised by adults. Teens should really love it, especially if they are hockey fans.

Very cool game. Lots of teams available, too. I've loved this game for 30 years. In fact, my 25 year-old version is still working perfectly. The best part is that my kids (ages 6 through 15) love it just as much as I ever did.

Beats all those video games I don't understand.
22 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2006
This is not bubble hockey. We play bubble hockey and bubble hockey is insanely fun. But Bubble hockey is $1000. This is under $100. It is 100% quality plastic and it does need to be cared for. You will not bang on it or fling the rods, the way you can with Bubble hockey or foos ball, but it is tons of fun.

One big advantage I think over bubble hockey is - there is a real advantage in this game, the way it is designed, to team play and passing the puck. Straight shots on goal will have difficulty going in, but using the wings to pass to the center, if you pull off the center pass, you should be able to beat the goalie with easy.

The other big plus is the players are interchangeable. You can buy teams for about $10 and than change what team is playing what team every game.

Another fun one is that play starts by popping the puck out of the goal - if you do it just right, you can pop it with a perfect arch and it will land in your opponents goal - GOALIE SCORES! A fun little cheat!

A good game.
on December 22, 2008
As a kid, I remember receiving the old, 2d version of this "rod-hockey" game. It was the Flyers vs the Rangers. It consisted of a similar platform, but the players were just flat, black plastic with stickers! The game was so vintage that the goalies still wore the Jason Vorhees goalie masks (or should I say the "Bernie Parent" mask), and the players didn't even wear helmets. Everybody should have had a #8 on their Jersey in the style of Brad Marsh!!! Anyway...eventually Sportcraft came along and put this very same 3d version of the game, and ultimately dveloped a few variants on it. For example, some didn't allow for passing the puck behind the net until tthey came up with the hinged rod (on a universal joint) that let's you set up passes to the slot from behind the net! I remember one of our teachers in Jr. High School - Mr. Stern - set up a table hockey league and the winner's got to keep the game at the end of the year! I personally went through about 4 of these as a teenager...just playing them so much that the components wore down.

I don't know who "Stiga" is as a manufacturer. They are apparently a European group that manufactures sledding gear and so on. Whatever their gig...they did a great job with the specs on this table hockey game. The rods slide smoothly. The gears don't mesh. The players rest level on their pegs so that their sticks don't scrape the ice. The "glass" behind the nets helps to keep quite a few stray wrist shots from flying across the room.

For anybody who always wanted (but couldn't afford or didn't have room for) a classic arcade version of Chexx (aka "Bubble Hockey"), then this is the ideal alternate for you. It's well worth every penny...and I am certain my son and I will get plenty of games in on this puppy before we wear it out. Seemingly even more so than the old Sportcraft version. Thanks to you, Stiga, for keeping this one available to us!
on December 26, 2012
1. The 'Ice' surface is loose and not attached to the under-board. It should be attached and smooth like the old school games.
2. The 'stick blades' are WAY too thin. When the surface is somewhat uneven - your stick goes right over the puck. Not fun. You guys should just copy the guys from Super Chexx!
3. The Goalie controls on the side are just not intuitive. Put them right behind the goalie - everyone else has done that for years Don't re-invent the wheel.
4. So far - in two days use - three guys have lost their sticks. Had to glue them in.
5. The winger that goes all the way around the net is fairly hard to control when you have to pull sooooo far out to get him to the blue line. Maybe one guy shouldn't go that far - make several guys go back there or leave a dead spot there.
6. A better way to do center ice faceoffs. A really love the old score boards over head where the puck dropped in 3 seconds after you put it in.
on January 19, 2011
Let me be clear, this was a fun game to play. But it took power tools to adapt the pieces to get them together. Malformed players didn't go onto the pegs, cheap stuff, flimsy plastics. Don't buy this online, get one you can test in the store. The packaging was just the box it goes on the store shelves with, take your chances on this one.
on April 26, 2014
I have owned several of these table top hockey games in my 62 years so I have a good sample to use as a comparison. At first glance this game appeared to be a winner. The construction quality is solid and it assembled very easily...all parts fit perfectly. The players are cool...nicely painted in NHL team colors. Team sets can also be purchased separately...another plus. Now the BIG letdown....there were a few high and low spots on the playing surface. These are not really noticeable until play commences and the sticks of a few players actually pass/swing right over the top of the puck due a dip in the playing surface! This made two players in my game virtually useless in certain positions. Quite frustrating when trying to shoot or pass and the player "fans" on the puck even when the puck is in perfect position to be hit. For serious players this totally ruins the flow and possible outcome of the game. If you would not mind pushing the puck a few inches with your finger to put it in a playable position, then you might like this game as all other features are nice. Sorry to say though, this game was definitely not for me and was shipped back to Amazon for a prompt refund after playing just two games.
on February 24, 2008
This is an excellent product! We got this for our son's 7th b-day present and we've already had hours of fun with it. Set-up was easy and the quality seems very good. The surface looks like ice, which allows the puck to glide, and the arena boards are decorated with the logos of all the NHL teams. At least one player can reach the puck at all times during play, so there are no "dead spots" on the ice. It's much like the game I remember as a kid, except that the flat metal and plastic players have been replaced with authentic-looking 3-D Toronto Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings players. The fact that my wife is from Ontario and grew up a Leafs fan adds to the excitement. Hockey fans will love the game, but any kid (and parent) who likes air hockey or foosball will enjoy the competition.
on October 18, 2011
If you're into "old time hockey" and you want to relive your childhood memories of the old metal version, this game is it. It rocks and it's fun. I play it with my kids who are more interested in video versions of hockey---but they love this game.
on September 30, 2015
This game is great. I remember the cardboard and steel version we played as a kid and this one is much better quality. Lots of plastic, but it has held up well to our three crazy kids for the past year. It sits on a table in our living room and gets used everyday pretty much.
on February 25, 2011
Very realistic and great fun to play. Rewards strategy and skill. My three-year-old grandson loves it, as do my wife and her 80 year old parents. Great for all ages.

Make sure you DON'T put the curtains in the nets, because it keeps the puck from going in on good shots.

Mine came with one broken leg, and even gluing didn't fix it, as it was broken at a stress point. Nonetheless, the remaining piece of the leg stays on mostly, going off only once every 20 or 30 minutes.

You have to make sure the men are placed on their stems correctly (even the non-goalies are not interchangeable) and that the tracking is correct for the men. It's easy to self-diagnose and fix, so if the men are not tracking smoothly, make sure to assess the situation.