5.0 out of 5 stars my first cast iron wok
Another great product from Amazon.
Neither the Amazon page nor the Stansport page mention the size of this wok. It measures 12 7/8" outside dimension. Perfect for my needs. It also didn't mention that a wok ring is not needed. It has a cast flat bottom on the outside but still keeps the smooth dome shape inside.
It does require immediate seasoning prior to...
Published on July 17, 2012 by Southtexas

3.0 out of 5 stars fitness equipment
Published on December 24, 2012 by Onam K. Emmet

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars my first cast iron wok, July 17, 2012
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
Another great product from Amazon.
It does require immediate seasoning prior to use.
I am VERY pleased with my purchase and will be looking for more items from this manufacturer in the future. A great buy for a product that should outlive me several times over.
Would purchase again, will recommend this wok to my friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Wok, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
Most home ranges just don't get hot enough to manage wok cooking. The range has to produce enough heat to fire up and go through a thick layer of cast iron. Robert Yick's website shows that their wok ranges go up to 150,000 BTU. The Wok Shop in San Francisco's Chinatown sells a 32,000 BTU burner. What does a good gas range put out? Maybe 20,000 BTU?

When I first got this item, many moons ago, it was used outdoors. Excellent for campfire cooking. It also works great in the backyard if you build a good fire in your bbq pit. It was okay on the stove, but it seemed to take forever to heat up on my gas range, and it just did not feel all that hot. If you're using a basic home gas range, stick to the 16 inch Traditional Cast Iron Wok.

Where this wok really excels is on an induction cooktop. I use a Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop, Black. Unbelievable how hot this wok can get. I can run an extension cord outside, fire up a wok full of oil, and do all my deep frying without getting the house all hot, smokey, and oiley. First of all, the oil in the wok gets to a rolling boil within minutes. It takes a lot longer than that if I were to build a fire, or set up a propane turkey fryer. I can cook up batches of chicken wings by the dozen, and with a little Frank's Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce - 1 gal. and some Butter unsalted 83% - 1 lb, you will swear I am wearing a tight t-shirt and orange shorts. The best part is that all that I have to do is turn off my induction cooktop. No worrying about waiting for the fire to burn out, or worrying about the oil boiling over into a live flame.

Oh, and by the way, in case you can't get Chinese food on every corner like here in San Francisco; this wok makes really good Chinese food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, non sticking, October 7, 2012
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
Tried half a dozen cooking woks with non sticking future, some more expensive ones even get uneven bottom after about 1 year, I am cooking on electric ranger not on gas stove!? This one works great, heavy but this is true cast iron. Do not trust those light weight cast iron wok, not working. The size is perfect for frying veggies etc. simply love it. Love the handle design too.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice cast iron and I love it!, September 2, 2012
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
Pros:
-Great Size, neither too big nor too small, and the weight is suitable for ladies to handle as well.
-Heat evenly, easy to clean.
-Heat concentrates in the bottom as a wok should do. when you cooking the handle is not so hot at all.
-This wok is great for stir fry and deep frying. Food comes out with wok qi.
-The outside bottom is flat and inside bottom is round like a bowl, this kind of design help save lots
of cooking oil when you deep fry.
-Nice workmanship, but still cannot compare with LODGE.

Cons: Remember to remove the wax coating before seasoning-After washing it with brush and soapy water, I put a full wok of water on the oventop and turn the stove to high heat for 20 min., then most wax will melted in the water. I don't think the wax coating can be easily removed just by brush and soapy water.

Would recommend it to any one who wants a cast iron wok!

p.s The first wok I received it not a good one-there's hole under the bottom and then Amazon sent a new one to me right away on the following day! I am a fan of Amazon, Amazon's service is SO GREAT!

updated: I would like to add one con to my review.
This wok heat slowly on oven top, it takes 5 minutes which is much slower than my LODGE skillet and dutch oven. Luckily the result is the same, food comes out to be very delicious. The more I use it, the more I like it.

3.0 out of 5 stars fitness equipment, December 24, 2012
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
It's very heavy. So heavy, there's no way you'll lift it with one hand and tilt it to pour out the food. One person would need to hold it with two hands while someone else scoops out the contents. It's better for weight lifting. Also it arrives covered in a layer of some sort of wax which we are advised to rinse out with warm water and soap. Getting this wax off was pretty distressing to me because there's no telling when the iron is clean, and whatever remains ends up in your dinner that first meal. Next we are instructed to season it with oil then bake for, I think, two hours. After 20 minutes my house was in a deep fog and all smoke alarms were going off, so I left it at that and considered it seasoned.
Having said all that, once you get it broken in, it seems like a very durable, very well-made wok; I could see it lasting a lifetime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sturdy wok, April 21, 2013
Pipigurl (Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
Very sturdy and well-made cast iron wok. I followed the instructions for seasoning and the wok came out golden brown. I followed one reviewer's suggestion to heat up water in it to remove the waxy substance. To save gas, I filled the wok 3/4 full with water and placed it in the oven while it was preheating. By the time the oven reached 450 degrees, I could see the wax mixed in the water. I brushed it after that (no soap) and then I coated it with a thin layer of vegetable oil. The oven would smoke even if you use only a thin layer of oil so I lined the bottom of my oven with foil to catch the drippings. I think I seasoned it pretty good because after a wash, I let it drip in the sink for a couple minutes and then wipe it off with a paper towel. I don't even bother coating it with oil anymore. Of course, I never use soap/dish detergent. A good soak and brushing would do.

I have cooked rice noodles in it and didn't experience sticking or any other problems. Like any other cast iron utensil, it takes awhile to heat up but once it is hot, it stays hot. I am sure this wok would outlive me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as described., August 13, 2013
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
Considerably smaller than described I had to send it back. No where near big enough to cook for more than say 2 people.

2.0 out of 5 stars really wanted to like this, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
I had high hopes for this wok - cast iron holds heat and the flat bottom sits easily on a gas or electric range. Disappointing in several ways. This is a sand cast wok, so, the iron has the texture of sand, very annoying. I have done a lot of metal finishing so I took an angle grinder to it which solved the tactile issue. However, in use, for two people, a 12" wok is just too small to be practical. Weighing in at a whopping 8+ lbs. this beast is an uncomfortable lift - even for a guy who curls significant iron. Still trying to figure out how to fit this into the wok lineup.

Pass on this and buy a thin carbon steel pow wok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Cast Iron Wok, April 24, 2013
This review is from: Stansport Cast Iron Wok or Stir Fry Skillet (Sports)
I bought this Wok to use on my induction cooktop and it works great. The flat bottom makes plenty of contact for the heat to distribute evenly up the sides. Seasoning was easy and it has a beautiful color. The long handle and the grip handle make it easy to move around. The weight is perfect too. I think this wok will be around for many many years. I have a glass lid that fits this wok too. I highly recommend it if you need a wok.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wok, January 8, 2014
12" wide, 3 3/8" deep

I got it to replace a cooks standard 13" triply wok that deformed. Wanted something more durable, triply cannot take the heat, steel separated from the aluminum. This wok has the handle and flat bottom like the CS, but it's too shallow. If it was deeper, like a pan with tapered sides, it would be perfect.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›