on December 11, 2011
Ok so I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on this item so I thought I would share my thoughts of it. I just bought mine through Best Buy sorry Amazon didnt wanna deal with the holiday rush on shipping. I know this isnt full out professional DJ equipment but it isnt about having all the shiny toys with all top of the line stuff. Most every big rock group started with pawn shop PA's and cheap mexican knock off guitars and guess what, they ROCKED with them!! So to every review I see knocking anything that isnt over $1000 or has every input and output plus every effect ever built into it. I say this respect it for what it is. After all DJing is for the crowd not for YOU! The crowd has no clue if your running dual CDJ 2000's with sorrato or just running with this baby. So about this Stanton SCS4.

For one this makes setting up for a party or event a breeze. No more lugging a computer, hoping you brought all the right cables! Ok so all the cables are there now to fire up your computer hope that email you got didnt have a virus, oh dang it did now your computer is toast! Guess the show is canceled. There are so many things that can go wrong with computers its funny how DJ's swear by them. I worked in radio for years and know what we did when the computer crashed? Busted up the good ol cd's. Ok well this is 2011 and times have changed. Now I dont really see the point of not embracing this concept. Just think less moving parts=less breaking! Ill admit this thing takes awhile to load all your music, but once its done its done forever! Basically Im gonna shrink my music down to just the great party tracks, wedding tracks, and all time classic tracks. This will make this system run faster and make finding my music a breeze. Yes DJ's you dont need 40,000 songs for a wedding! I find simple it key to success and this unit encourages that outlook.

I use this unit for basic parties, weddings, and corp. events. I havent had it for very long but so far Im noticing Im turning to this unit over my CDJ 900's. Im not missing my lap top at all, always made me nervious using it for running audio. So far this thing just chugs along, yes sometimes it is kinda slow, but yet my lap top had its moments to so not really a big issue. Im loving how simple this thing is, it is very well thought out and makes it fun again to really go crazy on a track because you only have limited options so nothing really to mess up. Ive even let brides and grooms hop on this with a little coaching they were rocking their own wedding, was awesome to watch and it made their day! Yes it is that easy. Ok so you can get all into how this is cheating, or its not DJing but I beg to disagree. I have seen the best DJ's with insane skills just totally ruin a party due to bad taste in music or going over kill on the whole mixing. Yet I have seen bad DJ's with hardly any skills totally rock a party due to feeling the crowd. To me DJing is about feeling the crowd not who has the most skills on the table. This unit makes it easy for anyone to DJ a party with very little training. I think it will open doors for maybe the next big DJ that if not for this unit could of never tried to DJ.

All in all this unit lives up to everything Stanton claims it will do. If you have the cash and your curious I recomend this for all levels of DJing. Makes a awesome back up system for the professional, or the pro that doesnt want to drag around all their equipent or if their computer is ever broke down this will tied you over. For the new DJs this will save you time in your learning curve and will let you concentrate on your crowd not your equipment so you can put on a better show. You wont need to buy some $300 to $600 software it has all the hookups and features you will need. Dont bother with the cheap knock off attempts at a new DJ set up, you will pay in software fees. Save your cash get this unit and start practicing!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 2, 2012
I've had one for 6 months and I absolutly love it. They are up to 3.01 firmware which has fixed all the tickie tac stuff and it's better than ever. Top tip, use fast USB thumb drives and use Stanton quick grid to process your tracks which will harness your computer's power instead of making the slow (by comparison) SCS4DJ do the work.
review image review image review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 3, 2014
Verified Purchase
Have had the ScS.4DJ for about two weeks now and have done 6 gigs with it so far.

With the new 5.0 Update to the integrated software, this little all-in-one controller is a force to be reckoned with.
The 5.0 Update has corrected all of the issues that I have read about in previous reviews from the passed two years.
Added Stability, Hot cues, Rapid Menu Browsing, Improved Sound output (Heaphones too), Tighter MIDI mapping, Slip Mode (Time Rift Mode), scratch glitch (pre-update) correction, better BPM analysis. Are just some of the things I can think of off of the top of my head that have been added to the ScS.4DJ.

This underrated product definitely deserves more praise now that many of the issues from the previous software versions have been corrected. Quick grid works OK, but I don't use it, I just let the integrated software analyze the songs for me since it allows you to still DJ while it analyzes the tracks in the background (something Virtual DJ 7 and Serato DJ won't let you do).

The ScS.4DJ is way ahead of it's time, and is currently (as I write this review) still the only true All-in-One solution. I highly recommend this to beginners and experts, or those who just need to consolidate into a smaller, lighter set-up.
on October 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
I have had this unit for a few months now. I got lucky and was able to get a pristine "open box" item from an Amazon seller for $179. It was unused and in perfect condition :-)

First things first, I am not a pro and would consider myself a bedroom DJ. This unit serves my needs quite well. I can mix mp3s back and forth with out the need for a laptop. I can mix, scratch (the latncy is ever so slight) and add a few effects to any mp3s that I have put on a thumb drive, portable hard drive etc.

The key things is NO NEED for a laptop. The next closest unit I can think of that can do that is the Pioneer XDJ Aero or maybe the Numark NS7. Sure those are professional and quality builds but they are going to run you in the $700-800 range. and the good thing here is that the SCS 4 has a little display screen on it that can be set to graphically display the waves of the MP3s playing. So when I am mixing or scratching I can see the waves that I am manipulating or grabbing. This helps immensely. This display is conveniently located in front of you and right next to your hands as opposed to having the need to look up and away at a laptop screen. I could be wrong, but I do not think that the Pioneer & Numark have such a graphical feature when in stand alone mode sans the pc.

In regard to the "slowness" of the machine that others may have put in their reviews. Please, please, if you get this unit you must go to the Stanton website and upgrade to the latest firmware. They have had maybe 4 updates since the unit was first released. It is now much faster, has many added features and a lot more stable. I know this because the unit I received had the original OS on it, so I got to see the before and after.

Also, if you have a humongous amount of mp3s that you need to work with, you really should analyze your library on a PC using the Quickgrid program from Stanton's website 1st(about 4 sec per mp3). Then connect that hard drive to the unit. The SCS can do it but it will take a LONG time. (remember it doesnt have a quad core processor like the average laptop or pc.)

I like it. Could you use it in a pro setting? I guess, but I definitely would make sure I had very fast and solid thumb drives or portable hard drives, make sure they have a good tight fit to the unit and can't be knocked about with your hand while mixing or scratching (there are 4 strategically located ports), have a good equalizer to pep up the sound that comes out of it and make sure to bring just the right amount of MP3s because sorting thru a large hard drive of music (250 gb in my case) on this can be cumbersome.**I probably need to read more in to the "Building Playists" section of the manual :-)

My unit is still kicking... and there has been a firmware upgrade (5.0) that has made it even better. The quality of the sound output was improved, a tape delay has been added and a manual loop feature was added that is excellent for chopping non digital timed music.
on October 18, 2013
Verified Purchase
Five out of of five why? No need to carry a computer just the controller and flash drive or harddrive or even your cellphone almost anything with a music file on it. Or if you already have DJ software you can still use this device as a midi controller to play your DJ software on a computer. Does everything any other controller can do well. I love it play at clubs with it all the time one can tell the different love it.
on March 25, 2013
This was easy for me to operate. The website is a great resource. I bought this item in very nice condition with only an AC adapter, the crossfader is broken in better than I expected. Not only do I recommend this item, but I will buy another one for my son. Hours of fun with your favorite playlists!
on January 8, 2015
purchased at Guitar Center, not on here, but the review stands.

This is an incredible mixing console that performs on par with every other laptop-less unit on the market.
as with everything good, it has firmware updates. you need to install these updates (like all other dj controllers) or the mixer will do everything that every other person has written s***ty reviews about. thats what makes this things so good, is that stanton actually FIXED all the bulls*** that was wrong with it in the beginning, just like Gemini did with the CDJ.700, they stuck with it, fixed it through firmware updates and it works perfectly.

use Quick Grid to analyze songs before hand, or like every other standalone mixer, it will respond slowly if analyzing while playing.
The platters have been declared the best in the industry, and ive fapped around on many platters. I can confirm the weight of the platters and overall feel are only matched by Vestax's jogwheels.

Yes i said it,
damnit!

ive fapped around on numark, pioneer, vestax, and other stanton platters, and these on scs4dj have a weight and feel that is closer, in my opinion, to the vestax VCI series more than anything.

for ppl that want, need, and do scratch: the SC-IX software that is built into the scs.4dj has ZERO latency

If you are learning to scratch with a midi controller and want to feel what true 1:1 integration between software and hardware actually feels like but dont have the money for the computer setup you need to achieve that minimal latency, THIS is the mixer for you!

The crossfader cut in distance is 4mm, which is ALOT (and will make you a better turntablist to learn to scratch on it) but you can mod the crossfader in a variety of ways to reduce 4mm to 2 or 1.5 (I personally took slice of a credit card, measured it and taped it down with gorilla tape, but to each his own)

if you open the unit and remove the crossfader, you can peel off the piece of felt that keeps dust out. this will greatly loosen the crossfader so that you can scratch much more efficiently with it (use deoxit f100L)

Seriously buy the damn thing, its worth its weight in gold, and the problems are guaranteed to disappear with a firmware update and thorough reading of the user manual(s) (yes plural)
on February 11, 2015
Verified Purchase
Design concept and interaction features make this an excellent alternative to bulky multi-component solutions. No lugging laptops and wiring, etc. In my case I purchased this for a young guy who is interested in experiments and performing at small events. It's got all the basic and advanced features to kick out a jaming good time. I do recommend the USB download system update. I have had no errors, glitches or problems. Kudos to Stanton and the design team that created such a perfect mobile mix DJ solution.
on July 4, 2014
Verified Purchase
Great to use, super easy to update, plug and go..might lose speed as the song database increases, but haven't had that problem consistently enough to call it an issue.
on April 27, 2015
Verified Purchase
This is no Pioneer XDJ-killer, but for a 4-year-old console built around an ageing 400 MHz single-core Freescale Coldfire processor, it pulls off some pretty impressive feats. With the latest firmware update from the Stanton website, the only thing it can't seem to do is record mixes without audio dropouts. If this is an important feature for you, then look elsewhere, but if you're OK with either not-recording your mixes, or with using an external recorder, then I can definitely recommend this product for home use. I don't know if I would use this in a club environment due to the audio clicks and dropouts when recording. That, to me, says that I will never be able to guarantee solid audio while playing live in a vibration-riddled, EMF-laden environment such as your common nightclub.

The biggest drawback I see with this unit is the super-awkward method of managing your music library. Deleting or renaming tracks has annoying repercussions, and the QuikGrid software is severely lacking in terms of library management features and a clear user interface or workflow. I highly recommend ensuring all your ID3 tags are clean and accurate before beginning, and setting up playlists with Nightingale (a fork of Songbird) so you can take advantage of the Synchronization feature to keep your USB drive clean and organised for the best experience using both Quikgrid and the unit itself. I will have to sit down at some point and make my own completely-integrated music management solution for this if I'm going to use it for anything more than just casual mixing practise and fun.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations