4.0 out of 5 stars A fine addition to the Republic assault fleet
Published on August 27, 2011 by David deSilva

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to completely assemble
Published on August 16, 2011 by Reasonable Single Mom

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine addition to the Republic assault fleet, August 27, 2011
David deSilva (Ashland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
I bought this toy for our play collection since I figured it would be the closest Hasbro would ever give us to the emperor's shuttle at the close of Episode III. I do think Hasbro did a good job on this vehicle overall. The styling is good and blends in very well with the republic ships from the episode 2-3 lines. The wings do dip down below the body of the ship to give the proper angle for an imperial/republic shuttle's wing configuration, though the pictures tend not to display this. The landing gear will not fall out when you sneeze, as is the case with the oversized Millennium Falcon. :) As an attack vehicle, the shuttle sports two firing missiles from the sides of the cockpit and a cannon that can be pulled out from the top of the body (where the third wing would be on an "imperial" shuttle).

As an assault playset, the vehicle was really quite cleverly designed. It is important to read the instructions on this one, since the transformation REQUIRES pulling a release switch rather than the use of force. Two cannons (which Clone Troopers can mount) literally pop up into attack-ready position from two side compartments alongside the central body, and the roof transforms into a multi-story attack tower. The dorsal gun becomes a cannon within this tower, and there are multiple stations for troopers on the tower and within the body of the ship. The wings open up to become stations from which troopers can fire in relative safety from the advancing droid hoards.

The electronic features are also quite good. There are 40-some clone trooper phrases and 10 (or so) droid phrases, but if you're really going to be playing out a scenario of your own with your sons or friends, these features are fairly useless. The vehicle sounds change depending on the placement of the wings. When the shuttle is closed and the wings are in the lowest position, you can access engine hums, large laser cannon sounds, and the like. When the shuttle is opened in ground assault mode, then the vehicle sounds are more like troops disembarking, the alarm claxon, and so forth. I am a bit disappointed that the engines do not light up (this is the FIRST thing I would put in place if I were designing an electronic toy). There are light-up alarms (two red lights in the interior cabin) and firing sounds for the two pop-up cannons, which I could see using in play. The electronic features are generally in keeping with the range and versatility of the recent AT-AT, BMF, and AT-TE.

I found the toy easy enough to assemble, though I can understand why the first reviewer had some difficulties. The wing attachment requires more force than one would expect -- or wish, at first, to apply to so expensive a toy! Nevertheless, they are correctly engineered and do lock into place just fine. The locking mechanism keeping the two side-cannons in for "flight mode" is not strong, and one of them tends to pop open on its own. This is, however, the only design issue I can see. It will have to be used with some care if it is to last, however.

All-in-all, I think this is a well-developed toy, and its dual modes very much expand its potential for encouraging play.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun as a transforming playset, decent vehicle too..., December 9, 2011
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
I'm a long-time Star Wars collector, but I also just like toys in general, so I get to appreciate this Republic Attack Shuttle set from both perspectives. I got mine from Amazon for a substantial discount off the MSRP of $80, but am trying to review it from that price as well because at the under-$40 I spent, it's a lot easier to like.

From a collector perspective, the Republic Attack Shuttle is a vehicle that at full price may not hit too hard. It's from the Clone Wars, so it's not for a movie-only fan. And, like the classic Imperial Shuttle it's inspired from, there just isn't as much to do for a collector with these shuttle toys, they have a cockpit and they have a main body hold for a few figures, but they're not a Millennium Falcon or an AT-AT in excitement-level. That said, the RAS's design and deco is show-accurate although it lacks the weathering, there's a lot of nice sculpting for panels and tech details, and the transforming playset nature doesn't hamper the display potential in the least since it's fairly solid and the transformation joints and seams are pretty well hidden (so a collector could almost entirely ignore the playset aspect with ease). The collector would enjoy the decent size of the vehicle as well as the wings being on big hinges with strong stops at the top and bottom with no wobble (they fold down to the accurate angle, past the flat shown in most photos), and a nice interior that could look in place on a Star Destroyer - accessible from a hatch in the top or by transforming the playset part way. However, like many SW vehicle toys, it is under scale so as a shuttle there is only room for about 6 or 7 figures, and it loses the front section's signature bay corridor - that nose door opens but only to reveal the pilot's legs. The collector perspective on the exclusive figure isn't probably going to be a big deal either, it's the newer Clone body and season 1-inspired helmet (Oddball's paint scheme, in fact) with logos to the shoulders, but Clone Wars figures aren't super collectible the way movie figures are, though it's nice to have another pilot figure. So, overall, the RAS is a nice item for a collector who actively wants this vehicle, but at full price it's not a great gift choice for the collector without knowing firsthand whether or not they want it.

That said, from a play perspective, the Republic Attack Shuttle is a ton of play potential in a single vehicle toy, kids who are into The Clone Wars tv series and its figures will have a blast with this. It does require adult assembly on the wings, they require a lot of force to get on so that they won't wobble or snap back off, but once installed they are unlikely to be removed again. The landing legs also need to be attached, but they're not as difficult (they are permanent though), and a screwed-on panel to house the 3 required AA batteries (not included), and about 20 stickers - though none are vital, it already looks good without them. The vehicle is big and has a show-accurate paint job, the wings move for flight, there are firing missile laser cannons, and it has mode-specific sound effects so if the wings are in flight position, the sounds will be appropriate for that play style. The transformation to base mode has a bunch of stuff going on, but not in an annoyingly fiddly way, and there are sound effects set off when various elements are transformed (there's also a nice Off switch for when you tire of hearing it). The tower base playset is pretty nifty, it's quite different from the vehicle, has even more spring-loaded missile launchers, the cockpit becomes a mini recon fighter, and there's space for over a dozen figures. There are also buttons for the various sounds, including a lot of Clone Trooper dialog from the show, and the interior has a pair of red LED lights for the alert klaxon sounds - there's a lot of sounds here, although some play out entire scenarios which I find too much. As a Vehicle, it's not quite as cool as the AT-TE from a few years ago, but as a Playset it's better than either that or the Clone Turbo Tank from this line, and a lower MSRP than those by $20.

Bottom line, as a collector, getting the Republic Attack Shuttle is more about personal taste, and a bit difficult to swallow at full price, but not bad when bought on discount. From a fun perspective, at full price it's a decent tho' not outstanding value for a kid who actively likes the source material and is into the Clone Wars action figure line - there's a lot going on here to enjoy, it's fun in both modes and nifty to transform from one to the other. The star taken off is mainly for the high MSRP and the soft collector interest (which is partly just the fault of the source material it's taken from). I like mine quite a bit at the discount price I got.

4.0 out of 5 stars Republic Attack Shuttle wings assembly help & review, December 15, 2011
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
For those of you that are having trouble with snapping on the large wings, I have a easy solution.

Take a philips head screwdriver and loosen just the center screw a few turns on each wing. Slide the wing in place and then tighten the screw back up. I found this to work much easier than the snap method and my wings haven't fallen off yet.

Now on to my brief review.
This large vehicle is 2 toys for the price of 1. A ship or a playset for lots of Star Wars fantasy play. Plenty of areas for your Clone Army to defend the Republic. A great buy at a great Amazon price for your Star wars Fan this holiday season! Especially if you can get it for $30 or less!

5.0 out of 5 stars Attack Shuttle, August 27, 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
I got this for my birthday and it is awesome! The only thing that I dislike about this toy is that the wings require an elephant's force to squeeze into the sockets. Other than that, it is pretty cool, with the sounds, pop out guns, lights and removable cockpit. I would recommend it to everyone! Worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong enough to pull the ears off a Gundark, July 2, 2012
Dark Jedi Knights (Beaverton, Oregon - U.S.A. !!!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
I must have been one of the lucky ones as my ship was easily put together and is a great piece of work!
To the people who it takes "3 hours" to get the wings on, step back and look at the project logically.
The idea of loosening the center screw a tad is a great idea! Sometimes, for your kids, you just have to
bite the bullet and smile and say, "Mommy/Daddy is going to get ths working real soon. Why don't you play
with your TIE fighter for awhile, and I'll have it together in a jiffy!"
Personally, I had my whole ship together within 5 minutes, and it is WAY cool!
So I wish the people who have had unpleasant experiences with this item take a minute to cool down and
look for a positive outcome! It is, remember, a toy.
Cheers!

4.0 out of 5 stars For my three year old, January 17, 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
I purchased this play set for my three year old son and it's become one of his favorite toys. The only problem is that there are several peices that come off if the slightest pressure is applied. One of the pegs on the wing covers was bent and showed signs of stress right when I took it out of the box. But boy my son loves it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to completely assemble, August 16, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
This was purchased for my son's 9 year old birthday as a gift. The main body of the ship was easy enough to put together. However, it is impossible to attach the wings. We called Hasbro who told us that they had to find the instructions in order to help us. It is now 24 hours later and when I called Hasbro again, they still have not been able to get a copy of the instructions. We are usually big fans of Hasbro so we are baffled as to why this toy has not been more thoroughly tested before shipping out. It is too expensive for the customer to be struggling and then having to find support. We have now struggled for at least three hours attempting every which way to interpret the instructions and affix the wings which is a heartbreak for the child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Star Wars toy if you can get it at a good price, July 5, 2012
Sue Ellen Crandell (pittsburgh, pa usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
Awesome toy. My son was about six years old when he received it, and it was the hit of his Christmas. He has played with it pretty consistently since the day he got it. As another reviewer mentioned, it's great as a playset and a ship, and kids love all the little foldouts and configurations you can do with this thing. The sounds are pretty cool too. One of the sounds seems to last for a minute or so and has all kinds of battle dialogue and sound effects which is a pretty good idea. A child can grab a few figures and play with them while having realistic sounds in the background.

If I had to rate difficulty of assembly on a 1 to 10 scale, with 1 being the easiest, I would say this was a 7.5. I can't recall exactly, but there was a step or two with vague instructions that I kind of had to work out in my head to complete. The wings were indeed a bit of a pain to snap on, but I've only had to reseat them maybe two or three times since, and it gets easier each time.

I should note that I would not pay the full suggested price for this product. I think that asking $80 for it is asking for at least $20 too much. I believe I got it for around $30 during a holiday sale, but I would have considered paying up to $60 for it. Eighty dollars is just a bit too much for something this size (it's big, but not that big) and it only came with one trooper figure.

4.0 out of 5 stars son played all Christmas Day, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
Christmas morning, this was the toy my son played with all day. He loved all the moving, changable parts. He also enjoys storing many of his Star Wars characters inside the ship. I am always glad to have contained storage space.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Toy, January 5, 2012
This review is from: Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle (Toy)
Wings don't stay on as well as I would like but my son loves the ship and plays with it a lot.

Star Wars Deluxe Republic Attack Shuttle