5.0 out of 5 stars WE TURNED THE BEDROOM INTO A GALAXY

1.0 out of 5 stars Little Tiny Pieces That Don't Hold Their Glow
Published on February 24, 2006 by Kimberly Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars WE TURNED THE BEDROOM INTO A GALAXY, November 7, 2003
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
I had a lot of fun with my granchildren transforming their bedroom into a glowing galaxy. There was more than enough stars to make a bunch of constellations on their ceiling. These are easy to use and weren't messy at all. The kids love staring at the stars and pointing out the names of constellation before they go to bed at night. I was surprised when they started pointing out the real ones once we were outside one evening.
The experience really turned them on to learning about the constellations. We even ended up buying a real telescope and book about stars. What a fun way to learn for all of us.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here's an idea, June 26, 2006
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
When sticking the stars up on the ceiling, don't use the putty provided, the heat makes them fall down within a few days. So instead use a hot glue gun with silicon it doesn't ruin your stars or ceiling paint and they wont fall off... Thats what i used from the start from previous experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Little Tiny Pieces That Don't Hold Their Glow, February 24, 2006
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
This item came in the mail and my 4 year old son and I were very excited. I guess we should have read the description more carefully because I wasn't expecting so many tiny little pieces. We used ticky tack and began the tedious process of sticking the different sized stars and such all over his room. We waited that night to see the glowing celestial extravaganza. We kept the light on for some time to 'charge' the glow in the dark element then turned off the light. What we found was nothing close to amazing. The glow was fairly dim and only lasted for a very short period of time. We even turned a blacklight on them and all that did was make them glow a little brighter but, again, the glow only lasted about 10 -15 minutes. I ended up going back online and buying glow in the dark paint and a star shaped sponge. We dabbed stars all over his ceiling. These glowing stars last most of the night and our friends and family think his room is really cool.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly TINY dot "stars." Wouldn't have purchased had seen box., December 15, 2008
IIJuan12 (Sugar Land, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
Had I seen the box I wouldn't have purchased this at this price. Included are 5 large stars, 45 small stars, 104 mini stars (which are TINY), 100 micro stars (VERY, VERY tiny), 20 astros, & 460 tiny glow-in-the-dark dot stickers. Many of the stars are just outline shapes which are kind of hard to put up. They also have a small amount of putty that can be used for about 20 stars at the most & a star map (a little booklet). The product iteslf is fine, but I was expecting more plastic stars, and I was expecting them to be the small stars rather than the mini & micro ones. The product is durable and my boys love the stars up in their bedroom. I'd say this is worth $10 rather than the $19 I paid for it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read this before ordering, July 20, 2010
Giancarlo Brache (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
I'm sorry to say I've been duped, it's my fault but if you are the kind of person that reads Amazon reviews before ordering, this one may come in handy. I wanted a whole bunch of plastic glow stars for my daughters' room, I quickly read "over 700 stars", a brief description, and ordered. Most (over 500) of the so called stars are nail sized stickers, not actual plastic stars. I must be honest and say that when I re-read the description of the contents, they did mention it in the product page. The stars are ok, the product doesn't get more than two or max three stars as a review, most of them are fairly small anyways. I'm not saying not to order them, just read carefully. There are much better products in the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Space - the final frontier, January 30, 2006
For $70 I changed my daughter's bedroom into outer space:

$20 - these stars, worked really well though I wish they gave you a bit more of the adhesive putty

$20 - glow in the dark planets

2x$15 - two 71 cm flourescent blacklights

The blacklights really help give the stars and planets an errie glow...

Overall turned out much better than I expected, kids love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Coolest Dorm Room On Campus, September 16, 2011
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
Bought these my first week of college to spruce up the dorm after checking with my roommate and put them up over the course of three days in between school work and catnaps. The first time I turned out the lights after finishing the pack I heard this little 'Oh wow" from the other side of the room and my flatmate was hooked. Word spread and soon people from other floors were asking for night time tours and my neighbours have bought this same set, too.

The stars have an amazingly good glow time, a good deal longer than the few I started with, and the verity makes for a very nice galactic scape. The stickers didn't get on the ceiling (because that would be against hall rules) but they look awesome on my laptop and school books.

Pros: Great verity of both shapes and sizes; tonnes of stickers to play with; great glow time; comes with adhesive tack; versatile; durable; good quantity of each shape (2-4 of the funky ones like planets and moons); comes with a star chart booklet for you to make actual constellations.
Cons: When they say '700' it's counting about 400 stickers, leaving about 300-ish actual plastic stars; they look a tad odd during the day because you can see the tack through the thin plastic; nowhere near enough tack; book doesn't have Southern Hemisphere summer chart.
Neutral: The smallest stars are really quite small, about 1/2 inch 1.5 cm; some of the shapes took some imaginative tack placement to get them to stay because of their, well, shape.

I'd definitely buy these again (I might have to; my roommate is saying she wants her side done up now, as well). It's moderately educational thanks to the booklet, but it's definitely targeted at Americans/Europeans (hence the no Southern Hem. summer chart). The stickers last FOREVER, as well, as, while putting up my stars, I kept running into stickers that were probably from this set that had been painted over because they wouldn't come off (they still glow, too; just scrape the paint off).

On the whole, a wonderful product assuming you get an additional pack of poster tack/mounting putty/sticky tack by any other name.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Choice, May 7, 2007
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
You cannot buy more stars for the money, but the manufacturer needs to put more adhesive in the package. The stars are easy to put up and work well, but you'll likely use up all the adhesive putty well before you get them all up. Overall a solid option for safely and easily putting up stars in your child's room.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright Every Night!, May 17, 2012
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
I bought this to do a bedroom and a few weeks later they're all still shining bright! The trick is to buy Elmer's Tac 'N Stik Reusable Adhesive, White, 2 Ounces (98620) or another adhesive to stick it to the wall; what's included in the packaging just isn't enough to get all of the stars up there. It'll also help if you're like me and live in a hot humid climate to keep them from falling off the ceiling.

The product has a good amount of stickers and stars. It comes with a star map so you can follow constellations, but honestly it's more fun to do it on your own. You'll notice a vast improvement in luminosity and longevity after the lights go out if you use a CFL bulb instead of one of those old 60watt fluorescent bulbs. Depending on how long they charge you'll get 30 to 60 minutes of bright green shiny stars, planets and comets. This is more than enough for your little ones to fall asleep under the stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Misleading, But Still a Fun Enough Product., October 29, 2012
This review is from: Star Explosion Glow In The Dark Set (Toy)
I didn't read any of these reviews before ordering, I saw the four star rating and went for it, because I trust Amazon reviews a lot, however I don't think amazon can always control who writes them. A lot of them sound like they were written by the producer of the product, which is a very dirty way to play.
I'm not imprssed with the company at all, see that little circle in the box? That's all the stars right there, the other areas of the box are not full of anything. Why have a box twice the size of the product? To make you think your getting a TON more than you are. Again, Playing dirty.

That said, I like the product well enough. My sister bought a different kit with less stars for her dorm room, and she loved them. However, I have an apartment with a much bigger room, so I was looking for quantity. I am an art student and was able to set them up looking quite nice with only 5 big stars and a bajillion tiny tiny tiny stars to work with. The charge doesnt last very long; Which is alright with me I suppose, I am a college student and I'm not awake long enough when I lay down in bed to need stars that last thirty minutes. They look really cool if you throw a get-togeher at night and have them charged up.

Conclusion: If you have little kids who will want to lay awake and gaze at them, or play a game of astronaut with them, buy a different kit with more big stars who's charge will last longer.
If you just want to add a little spunk or decoration to your place for fun, and the size or charge doesn't mean all that much to you as long as you can enjoy them for a short period of time, you will enjoy them.

I hope this helps!