Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on November 7, 2003
I had a lot of fun with my granchildren transforming their bedroom into a glowing galaxy. There was more than enough stars to make a bunch of constellations on their ceiling. These are easy to use and weren't messy at all. The kids love staring at the stars and pointing out the names of constellation before they go to bed at night. I was surprised when they started pointing out the real ones once we were outside one evening.
The experience really turned them on to learning about the constellations. We even ended up buying a real telescope and book about stars. What a fun way to learn for all of us.
44 comments| 168 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2006
When sticking the stars up on the ceiling, don't use the putty provided, the heat makes them fall down within a few days. So instead use a hot glue gun with silicon it doesn't ruin your stars or ceiling paint and they wont fall off... Thats what i used from the start from previous experience.
33 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2006
This item came in the mail and my 4 year old son and I were very excited. I guess we should have read the description more carefully because I wasn't expecting so many tiny little pieces. We used ticky tack and began the tedious process of sticking the different sized stars and such all over his room. We waited that night to see the glowing celestial extravaganza. We kept the light on for some time to 'charge' the glow in the dark element then turned off the light. What we found was nothing close to amazing. The glow was fairly dim and only lasted for a very short period of time. We even turned a blacklight on them and all that did was make them glow a little brighter but, again, the glow only lasted about 10 -15 minutes. I ended up going back online and buying glow in the dark paint and a star shaped sponge. We dabbed stars all over his ceiling. These glowing stars last most of the night and our friends and family think his room is really cool.
77 comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2008
Had I seen the box I wouldn't have purchased this at this price. Included are 5 large stars, 45 small stars, 104 mini stars (which are TINY), 100 micro stars (VERY, VERY tiny), 20 astros, & 460 tiny glow-in-the-dark dot stickers. Many of the stars are just outline shapes which are kind of hard to put up. They also have a small amount of putty that can be used for about 20 stars at the most & a star map (a little booklet). The product iteslf is fine, but I was expecting more plastic stars, and I was expecting them to be the small stars rather than the mini & micro ones. The product is durable and my boys love the stars up in their bedroom. I'd say this is worth $10 rather than the $19 I paid for it.
on December 26, 2011
I got these a couple days ago and finally got around to breaking down the parts. For what you get, it's a good price. I'm currently testing the putty on two stars to see if I have the same problems reported by other users about it not sticking very long. I wiped down the spot where I attached them with a wet & dry cloth, since I know dust and grit can stick to ceilings as well as any other surface. I have flat paint on my ceiling and it's slightly textured, also. I can imagine the putty might adhere differently to a porous surface like flat paint, as opposed to a gloss, so maybe that has something to do with success rates. I agree that it's probably not enough putty for everything.

Overall, they are looking promising, but I don't think I'll be using most of the large plastic items, since I just want the constellations. I may use them to make a hanging collage, but we'll see. Also, the sticker sheets represented in the seller photo are not correct. Mine had planets and a lot of little circles (small planets?) and comets on it; I have added photos to help the visual shoppers out there. I have not yet had a chance to test out the glow extensively, but from what I could tell in my closet, they are really bright for a few minutes and then slowly teeter out after that. It's more than enough for the person or kid that likes to look up at the stars before falling asleep.

Someone said they can see the putty behind the stars? I cannot, so perhaps those individuals were using a black light. The putty is white (stars are yellow-greenish), so I can see how that might be the case only with the black light. The stickers probably won't be too visible in the daytime unless your room is darker or has colored ceilings, but the plastic stars definitely will be.

Oh, also the sticker stars are about the size of a fingernail and are the smallest of the bunch. They are not teeny like they seem in the images, however. I expected and hoped for eraser size, so I'm a little disappointed there. The largest ones are about 3" from tip to tip. The next largest are about 1", then .75" and .5". The stickers are barely smaller than the smallest plastic stars.

UPDATE: The putty is holding fast for me on my flat-paint ceiling. I rolled it into a ball and then mashed each star down. On the other hand, the glow is not as great as my initial tests showed. I just charged them up on the ceiling and they lasted about a minute. I'm disappointed, since another set of stickers that I had about ten years ago lasted for a good 30. You always get less than what you pay for...
review image review image review image review image
on July 20, 2010
I'm sorry to say I've been duped, it's my fault but if you are the kind of person that reads Amazon reviews before ordering, this one may come in handy. I wanted a whole bunch of plastic glow stars for my daughters' room, I quickly read "over 700 stars", a brief description, and ordered. Most (over 500) of the so called stars are nail sized stickers, not actual plastic stars. I must be honest and say that when I re-read the description of the contents, they did mention it in the product page. The stars are ok, the product doesn't get more than two or max three stars as a review, most of them are fairly small anyways. I'm not saying not to order them, just read carefully. There are much better products in the market.
11 comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2006
For $70 I changed my daughter's bedroom into outer space:

$20 - these stars, worked really well though I wish they gave you a bit more of the adhesive putty

$20 - glow in the dark planets

2x$15 - two 71 cm flourescent blacklights

The blacklights really help give the stars and planets an errie glow...

Overall turned out much better than I expected, kids love it.
on May 17, 2012
I bought this to do a bedroom and a few weeks later they're all still shining bright! The trick is to buy Elmer's Tac 'N Stik Reusable Adhesive, White, 2 Ounces (98620) or another adhesive to stick it to the wall; what's included in the packaging just isn't enough to get all of the stars up there. It'll also help if you're like me and live in a hot humid climate to keep them from falling off the ceiling.

The product has a good amount of stickers and stars. It comes with a star map so you can follow constellations, but honestly it's more fun to do it on your own. You'll notice a vast improvement in luminosity and longevity after the lights go out if you use a CFL bulb instead of one of those old 60watt fluorescent bulbs. Depending on how long they charge you'll get 30 to 60 minutes of bright green shiny stars, planets and comets. This is more than enough for your little ones to fall asleep under the stars.
on September 16, 2011
Bought these my first week of college to spruce up the dorm after checking with my roommate and put them up over the course of three days in between school work and catnaps. The first time I turned out the lights after finishing the pack I heard this little 'Oh wow" from the other side of the room and my flatmate was hooked. Word spread and soon people from other floors were asking for night time tours and my neighbours have bought this same set, too.

The stars have an amazingly good glow time, a good deal longer than the few I started with, and the verity makes for a very nice galactic scape. The stickers didn't get on the ceiling (because that would be against hall rules) but they look awesome on my laptop and school books.

Pros: Great verity of both shapes and sizes; tonnes of stickers to play with; great glow time; comes with adhesive tack; versatile; durable; good quantity of each shape (2-4 of the funky ones like planets and moons); comes with a star chart booklet for you to make actual constellations.
Cons: When they say '700' it's counting about 400 stickers, leaving about 300-ish actual plastic stars; they look a tad odd during the day because you can see the tack through the thin plastic; nowhere near enough tack; book doesn't have Southern Hemisphere summer chart.
Neutral: The smallest stars are really quite small, about 1/2 inch 1.5 cm; some of the shapes took some imaginative tack placement to get them to stay because of their, well, shape.

I'd definitely buy these again (I might have to; my roommate is saying she wants her side done up now, as well). It's moderately educational thanks to the booklet, but it's definitely targeted at Americans/Europeans (hence the no Southern Hem. summer chart). The stickers last FOREVER, as well, as, while putting up my stars, I kept running into stickers that were probably from this set that had been painted over because they wouldn't come off (they still glow, too; just scrape the paint off).

On the whole, a wonderful product assuming you get an additional pack of poster tack/mounting putty/sticky tack by any other name.
on June 30, 2015
I bought this kit a few years ago for my son's glow birthday party. (A huge hit) I have since repurposed them in my daughter's bedroom. I had to buy a pack of sticky tack ($1 at walmart) to get them all up. I didnt take the time to place them into constellations, but they still work great after 2 years, everyone loves them!
review image