Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- "Star! The Sound of a Legend": original 1968 production featurette
- "Silver Star": 25th anniversary featurette
- Julie Andrews and Daniel Massey screen test
- Still galleries, trailers, and TV spots
Top Customer Reviews
The Laserdisc of STAR! was mastered from the original 65mm camera negative. (the History notes in the laserdisc say the original version wasn't lost, just untouched in a vault, however a Fox employee later admitted that same negative actually was lost sometime after the laserdisc was done) The picture and sound on the LD transfer were supervised by people who knew the film well. That is clearly not the case with the new DVD.
The DVD looks like it's from a 35mm element that has been cropped at the sides to simulate the 2.20 aspect ratio of the laserdisc. Comparison with the Laserdisc will reveal the DVD is missing picture info on all four sides. The pale color in the DVD is nowhere near the saturated, accurate color of the LD, evidenced by the added brown hue in the documentary footage, which was never intended. Someone doing this transfer apparently decided to imitate the sepia tone of the B&W sequences in WIZARD OF OZ, ignoring the detail that the "documentary" within STAR! is a new film in the 1940 sequences that bookend the picture. Just one of the many details in which the Fox DVD team's ignorance of this film is obvious.
The Intermission title, Entracte, and final Cast of Characters, are all inexplicably gone, along with the nice added visual and audio enhancements they had on the laserdisc. This is yet another bit of evidence that home video folks have no idea how to handle a roadshow film. Fox also cut the Intermission/Entracte sequence on the DVD of ANNE FRANK, but they left it on HELLO, DOLLY! So clearly they are just not paying attention to such things.
The few chapters in the STAR!Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A standard biopic that offers up a cursory sampling of Gertrude Lawrence’s life. At no time is there a true understanding of Gertrude Lawrence. Read morePublished 27 days ago by Einsatz
Julie Andrews at her best. always wanted this one Thank youPublished 3 months ago by Sharon Stockard
I will be the first to admit that there are individual moments in Star that are truly great......... but overall, this movie was a disaster. It was simply too long and tedious. Read morePublished 7 months ago by Peter Vega
Forget every negative thing you've EVER heard about this now "cult-revered," ultimate Dame Julie Andrews musical biopic as famed Broadway luminary, Gertrude Lawrence. Read morePublished 9 months ago by Mark Dillon
I LOVE JULIE...Not my fav cause its not her kind of roll, but so much action!!Published 12 months ago by danielle frank
just nearly 3 hours but great musical numbers Julie Andrews just after The Sound Of Music and brilliant writing and the extra's are a neat treatPublished 13 months ago by Jonathan
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > 4-for-3 DVD
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Musicals & Performing Arts > Musicals
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > All Fox Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment > Musicals > General