Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 10, 2000
Having read Mermaid Singing, I was disappointed when I read my first Brannigan, Kickback.
In Star Struck however, the characters come out more clearly, to form everyday persons with everyday feelings. One can almost feel what Brannigan feels, see what she sees. The plot is a simple one, which all the more makes it worth reading, not endless lists of characters and events. Just what I want for a rainy day, something to get me interested and intrigued. In this book, the end could be guessed, which is one of the essentials of crime stories, that you can actually be ahead of the sleuth, which Mc Dermid's shown in this novel.
When I need a good, short crime story I go for a Mc Dermid!
on June 13, 2000
This is a great book and puts the author up there with Sue Grafton et al.
An interesting plot with great and believable characterisations. The author weaves social commentary throughout the story, including a dig at paparazzi journalism (post Princess Diana), racial profiling by British coppers, and mental illness, and this is done without the heavy hand of other novels, including by this author.
This book never gets too serious for its own good and there is plenty of lightheartedness thrown in. The plot wobbles a bit towards the end but by then it has been such a thoroughly good read it doesn't matter.
on May 24, 2014
Hey, it's Val McDermid, what more do you need to know? Ok, you need to know that she is the best murder mystery, thriller, brain aching writer writing today. Her characters are real, her writing is spare but tells you all you need to know, she has great character development for the tales that cover several books, the books make great tv (Wire in the Blood). And I have yet to guess the ending to any story completely correctly.
on April 15, 2015
I enjoyed this book - Val McDermid writes with a great realism - I feel like I've got to know the people of the north of England through reading her books. Her sense of humour and dry wit keep me amused, and the plot keeps me engrossed until the end!
on January 1, 2011
I think Val M is one of the best crime writers, but this was a disappointment. Plot not much better than the soapopera where it takes place. Then again a bad Val is still an average normal crime story.
on March 24, 2013
This is a pretty good book.....I like Val's writing but there are times when I did get bored....waiting for the next thing to happen. It's a good diversion!
on July 6, 2013
One of the best writers of our age. Also one of the funniest and warm persons. Val McDermid is at the peak of her writing skills
on March 12, 2013
This is a great book for light reading. It covers the story well without being redundant. The characters are well drawn.
on March 3, 2015
i did not identify the murderer until near the end. Some hollow characters. Not really believe able or fleshed out.
on August 27, 2014