5.0 out of 5 stars Icing on the cake
Published on November 14, 2008 by Jack Cards

3.0 out of 5 stars at last...
Published on October 24, 2005 by Bob Barnacle

5.0 out of 5 stars Icing on the cake, November 14, 2008
This review is from: Star Trek: The Complete Original Series DVD (Seasons 1-3) (DVD)
When I first heard about the 40th anniversary remastered episodes, I was skeptical. Having seen the original Star Trek series on prime time TV in 1966, 67, & 68, and always liking it better than any of the other Star Trek series that came afterwards, I thought that it would be a huge mistake. I was wrong. These new effects are what Roddenbery would have done had he the budget and technology. They are not out of place; they very much have the feel and flavor of the live-action scenes and mesh perfectly. The live-action scenes themselves are now much sharper, colors more saturated, better contrast. Of course I have the complete series as it was originally broadcast- that is a must and I can't part with them. But the remastered episodes are just as essential. They are the original series episodes with the fine details that they have always deserved- even if it took 40 years to finally finish them. I can't imagine any of the original writers or directors having complaints about these remastered episodes- especially since they are in addition to, and not replacing- the series as it was first produced and broadcast.

4.0 out of 5 stars The stellar first season, shining second and the white dwarf of the third. No special features or different discs for collected, December 12, 2009
You can read my formal review at dvdivas.net

Depending on when you purchase this the individual sets MAY be a better deal (as of 12/09 they are about $24 less)

This is for the Blu-ray three season set. Many folks are rating this based on THE PRICE (that's not what the star sysem is for folks--it's for the overall quality of the sets)my rating is based on the quality of the sets, their packaging and the original episodes themselves NOT THE PRICE.

In a nutshell: The show looks terrific and you can toggle between the original visual effects and the new ones with ease most of the time. The writing for the first two seasons was top notch with the third very much a hit-or-miss affair. The show looks stellar with new digitally prepared "prints" that have been cleaned up, color corrected and had damage repaired.

Extras are virtually identical to the last DVD set which also had the new visuals but we also get 3 new "Trek" extras (for all three seasons) Billy Blackburn's behind-the-scenes footage. This color footage was shot on location but without sound which gives us a unique look behind the production of the show. Ideally CBS/Paramount would have incorporated these into a new featurette with narration by Blackburn, Nimoy, Shatner and others discussing production for the various episodes but they are nice to have here with Blackburn's memories of working on the show.

Included is the original unaired alternate pilot for "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which keeps the original visual effects intact as well as alterned music and the edit is slightly different compared to the aired version. "The Cage" is included with both the "restored" color version as well as the black and white version that has come with all the previous sets BUT it is NOT in HD (I suspect the source material may only be SD videotape) it does, however, feature Roddenberry's original introduction.

We also get two Comicon 2009 featurettes (one hosted by David Gerrold writer of "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "The Cloud Miners" and an award winning novelist)as new featurettes on the third season set.

There are no additional discs or special features if you buy this boxed set of three vs. the individual titles.

For those who want to know the case for the third season is slightly thinner than the first two.

Bottom Line: Compare the price of the three seasons to the individual seasons before buying because there isn't anything else of value included here beyond what are on the individual sets.

CBS/Paramount has added a couple of special features here unique to each set but not every single special feature on the previous boxed sets appear here either (although most do). Buy whichever one you can get for the least price since there's nothing "special" about this bundling at this time.

4.0 out of 5 stars To buy, or not to buy..., November 13, 2006
Star Trek was a ground-breaking series, but a few of the episodes (especially early in Season 1 before the main characters come into their own) are pretty painful to watch. 4 stars overall for the 3 seasons, but many of the episodes are 5-star. No doubt you have seen the show on TV (edited to fit in more commercials), and other reviewers on Amazon have written excellent reviews for the single season editions so I won't go into details. I just want to summarize some information that may be helpful in deciding whether to buy this set now, or wait until later...

First, the set I received had several defective disks (1,6,7 in the first season). The program freezes, then eventually skips from seconds to minutes of the show. Amazon has a good exchange policy, and I'm hoping I get a good set this time, but I won't know until I go through all the disks and that will take a while. At least one other reviewer has also recently (fall 2006) received defective disks, so it is likely that there is a bad batch at Amazon at this time.

- UPDATE: I received the replacement set and have watched all the episodes. It has defects too, but I'm keeping this one as they are relatively short, and only affect two episodes of the three seasons.

Second, as many people have noted in the single-season reviews, this has to be the most impractical packaging yet devised by man. The outer plastic cases don't stand upright on their own. They come with what looks like a sales display stand, and will stand upright in these, but I notice the individual stands have been reinforced and weighted in the bottom by what looks like leftover building material. Inside each case is a stack of plastic trays held together by cellophane tape. This fits inside a thin paper sleeve which will no doubt tear soon, and the accompanying paper booklet does not fit in the sleeve. So you have to go though several levels to get to the disks, and the booklet falls out each time.

Third, as others have hinted, Paramount has been remastering all the episodes with new CGI for the ships, and for some other effects. It's the same ship, it just looks real now instead of like a model on a string. The sound is also being remastered (and in a few cases the music is being re-recorded). The picture is also being cleaned up. These episodes are currently airing on affiliate stations as they are completed (also edited to fit in more commercials). You can go to the Paramount website and navigate through their 'home video' page links/search/etc until you find the Star Trek pages. There you can download previews and information. I've seen a couple of these remastered episodes airing locally, and TOS has never looked so good. Be aware that as of this writing, Paramount has not committed to releasing the re-mastered series on DVD, but I have no doubt that they will as they have a history of getting as much money from Trek fans as possible.

- UPDATE: The revised episodes are being released in dual format (High Def DVD and Standard DVD) beginning with Season 1 in November of 2007 - Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete First Season (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) [HD DVD]. As of this writing, Amazon's price for the first season is nearly as high as this set of all three seasons. If you are patient, no doubt the price will eventually come down, as this is Paramount's pattern.

The bottom line...if you want the series with all the original effects (cloth backdrops, the same planet tinted different colors, reused ship clips, etc) go for this set. I doubt if it will get any less expensive than it is at the time of this review. But download some of the remastered previews from the Paramount site first, and if you can, watch the remastered episodes on TV before making up your mind. They aren't altering anything that significantly changes the show, and it looks stunning compared to this set. If you want the remastered 'improved' version though, you will have to wait until Paramount releases it (season by season, and eventually the full set), and expect to pay a lot more than this set, unless you are willing to wait a year or more after release. Finally, if you decide to order this set, check all the disks as soon as possible, as it appears there are defective sets being sold. Hope this helps in the decision...live long and prosper :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars at last..., October 24, 2005
I got this set last December and slowly watched the episodes in order, after not having seen them for many, many years. If you're buying this set, it's obvious that you already love the original series, so I won't spend time debating which are the greatest episodes, but they're all here, with a decent amount of bonus features to boot, including a dedicated "Life After Trek" for each main cast member, interviews with the writers and producers, and text commentary from writers on selected episodes (typically the Okudas). The episodes are in air-date order, rather than production order; I don't know if this is a bone of contention with die-hard fans.

I give this DVD set 3 stars and not 5 because:

-I would have liked more bonus footage (gag reel? outtakes, deleted scenes? Shatner performing Rocket Man?)

-better film cleanup was needed for some of the episodes. Some are excellent, and the color looks great across the board, but you can see that the film is dirty/damaged in some places. There is one stock shot they use all the time which is really filthy (the Enterprise circling a planet).

-TOO EXPENSIVE!!! Paramount needs to find a way to make their trek stuff FAR CHEAPER!

4.0 out of 5 stars OH, THE IRONY, December 27, 2004
Joe (Hellmont, MA USA) - See all my reviews
I couldn't give Star Trek any less than 4 stars simply because it's Star Trek, a show that I've been watching since I was a baby, and has had an immense influence on my life. The Original Series is an important show, and finally being able to get it in an all-in-one package for a (fairly) reasonable price has taken too long. There was no way I as a rabid Star Trek fan wasn't going to beg for this for Xmas. I'm glad I have it in my collection.

But if I could give a separate rating to the quality of the transfer, I'd give it 2 stars. How ironic that a show that deals with humans using technology to achieve and explore has been released by humans witholding technology to maximize profit. Despite a new, cleaned up digital mix of the audio, the video portion of the DVD's still contains the little scratches and video noise that my original videotapes possessed when I bought them in the 80's. There have been too many old movies and TV shows digitally remastered and beautified for me to believe that they couldn't clean these episodes up and give us better picture quality. It's a crime that Paramount continues to milk the original Trek dynasty like this.

It's quite obvious that there will be yet another re-release of the series down the road, but I can't see waiting any longer. The Harry Mudds have won again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic re-release and updating of a classic, November 24, 2008
Ronald R. Allen Jr. "chizotz" (Columbia, MO United States) - See all my reviews
OK, bear with me a bit here. I need to explain something.

I am a Star Trek fan of long standing, 35+ years at this point.

When I first heard that the original series was going to be re-released with all new effects, I was less than thrilled. Maybe this attitude is foreign to the younger people, but there is, for me, a certain charm in the original effects. While I acknowledge that the effects in the original Star Trek are sometimes not slick as you see in modern films, people need to realize and appreciate that they were working before the time of computer generated graphics -- and on a television budget. In short, the effects on the original series stand as an example of what dedicated, talented people could do when it all had to be done "the hard way". And it seemed disrespectful, at least, of that achievement to replace the hard work of those people. In fact, it seemed to me, at first, to really be just another way for more money to be milked out of both the fans and the series.

Then I started thinking. And reading. And considering. And, finally, I decided to take a peek for myself.

What I found is that the new effects are, as expected, as perfect as only a computer can make them. Perfect effects are, really, getting to be a ho-hum thing to me. I realize and recognize that it still takes talent and skill to create effects using a computer, but, honestly, when you can realize on the screen literally anything you want as easily as anything else... well, it just isn't the same. There just isn't that sense of "Wow, how did they DO that?" anymore.

But...

What I also found was that great and loving care was taken to preserve and actually enhance the original episodes through the use of this new technology.

Regardless of any debate on the merits of doing it or not, it's done -- and the results are superb.

The accompanying "bonus features" are also quite good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paramount should be put in the brig for this one, February 27, 2005
Don't get me wrong - I love the old gen. Love, love the old Gen. The transfers? Great - didn't have a problem there. The packaging? Yeah, the inside sleeve was a little cheap but otherwise - smooth sailing. And the extras? Outstanding.

BUT.

Why, why are they making us shell out all the big time cabbage for this set? Compared to other season sets, you have to mortgage your house to buy this one. They don't even give you anything special for buying the whole set other than wrapping them all together in a little cardboard sleeve. And it's bad enough Paramount is making a major cash grab...I discovered the other day that there are other extras that they've included on European sets BUT not the North American one.

They include:

Kiss & Tell - Romance In The 23rd Century (8:19): William Shatner and story editor Dorothy Fontana talk about the multitude of women that Kirk managed to get 'involved' with during the course of the show. Also includes Nichelle Nichols talking about some suggestive scenes between Uhura and Scotty and Walter Koenig talks about the revealing costumes the actresses wore on the show.

Trekker Connections (3:42): A little game for the viewer to play with cast members like six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Star Trek's Favourite Moments (17:09): Cast and crew members from the newer shows such as Michael Dorn (TNG), Ethan Philips (Voy), John Billingsley (Ent), Jeffrey Combs (DS9), Vaughn Armstrong (Ent), Robert O'Reilley (TNG) and Tim Russ (Voy) talk about their memories of the show.

Collectible Trek (14:26): Paramount archivist Penny Juday talks about the money that some people will pay for genuine Star Trek collectibles.

Considering the serious gouging, it wouldn't have killed them to stuff these on here. There's also trailers for The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager DVD sets they didn't include but that's just as well since there's disclaimers to sell Trek DVD product all over the DVDs. I bought the set, they have my money and now they want more of it?

All in all, it is a tremendous set, considering the major cash you had to spend before buying all the episodes individually. It just would've been nice to see Paramount really roll back the price tag and roll out the red carpet for the Trek fans who've been lining their pockets all these years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not original "uncut" versions, December 20, 2006
I have been a fan of Star Trek since the original showing in the 60's and was eager to finally obtain the dvds. It is nice to have them, but it is disappointing that not only did Paramount not clean up the video but they used the edited versions for the dvds that were released back in the late 70's to fit in more commercials. None of the episodes are intact and all have scenes and dialogue missing. It is a shame that not only does Paramount fail to bother releasing the full versions, but they are hoping that we don't realize it when viewing them. While some argue they are uncut, the missing parts are indeed gone. For example, during the episode where the Enterprise is hijacked to Eden in the Neutral Zone, the discussion with McCoy about the leaders deformed and diseased ears is missing. While the cuts are not significant in length or may seem trivial to some, they do exist. The 35 mm film that Paramount used for the dvd's where those that were edited and provided for syndication after NBC dropped the program, not the original ones that they used.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Original Series Will Undoubtedly Never Look Better, But Beware the Remastered Effects, January 2, 2012
My review is a bit delayed, as I purchased this set last summer. It took me over six months to go through all 20 BD disks, and I finally finished watching in early December.

I'm a long-time Star Trek fan (my first episode was the 1967 summer rerun of "Balance of Terror" on NBC). Yet I have never owned the complete series in any of its formats (VHS or DVD). As the complete series DVDs disappeared and became impossible to obtain (except for the disappointing remastered DVDs--more on that below), I thought I would never be able to own this classic series in its original, unaltered incarnation.

Thankfully, Paramount/CBS has released an absolutely superlative BluRay collection of all 79 original episodes and some surprising and unexpected extras.

The extra I was most anticipating is to be found on disk 6 of Season 3: the original unaired (and very rarely seen) version of Star Trek's second pilot episode, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." This alone is nearly worth the price of the entire set. CBS was contacted by a German film collector who had the entire pilot in its original form on 35mm film. When CBS realized what he had, they agreed to pay for a complete HD scan, clean-up and re-color-timing of the whole film, which looks amazing, despite some occasional film damage. It's enjoyable to see the more serious tone generated by different theme music and "Quinn-Martin"-style act breaks, as well as more fight scene footage in the episode's climax.

Of course, that's not all Paramount/CBS did in preparing this set. They went back to the original negatives, did a complete clean-up and new color timing of every episode. Each episode is now a visual revelation and practically every frame is sparkling with color and life. This remaster has renewed my respect for the producers and craftsmen involved with this ground-breaking show. Not only does the higher resolution not reveal as many flaws as I suspected it might, it actually makes the sets and costumes used back then look even more impressive than I remember them. There are some early episodes where makeup and costume inconsistencies are more jarring in HD than before (like some zippers showing near the uniform collars, and the seams in Leonard Nimoy's Vulcan ear appliances), but you can see that their execution of their craft got better and better with each subsequent episode. The HD remaster looks so good that you'll soon forget that your first viewing of this incredible series was likely on a fuzzy black-and-white TV with ghosting on the signal reception.

It won't be that much of a cliché after you get your first viewing of these on BD, but here it is: it's like watching these episodes for the very first time.

There is some visible softness in transitions created on an optical printer, such as dissolves, fade-ins and fade-outs, but that is really fairly unobtrusive as you are watching each episode. However, because of the way the original effects were created, using multiple film elements combined on an optical printer, there was a lot of dust, scratches and damage they could not fix in the new scans on the effects and composite footage (such as Enterprise fly-bys and viewscreen inserts). This was a motivating factor in CBS' decision to have all new digital effects created beginning in 2006 for the newly-remastered original series.

Herein lies my only problem with the Original Series BluRay, and seeing as how I can view all of the original visual effects for every episode on this BluRay set (by either selecting the option from the main menu or by using the "Angle" button), it's not really that much of an irritant.

I really wanted to believe that the people who executed the remastered effects had Star Trek's best interests at heart, but after viewing them, I am so far from being sold on them that I will never accept them or watch them as an integrated part of each episode.

For one thing, they got certain details of the Enterprise wrong. I checked with some A/B comparisons of certain shots on the BluRay, as well as photos of the original model as it was being restored at the Smithsonian. That's pretty unforgivable, considering the producers could have accessed exactly the same material I did.

The remastered effects, more often than not, look overdone and cartoony, creating a feel not even close to the original filmed episodes. They would have been better served to recreate the same camera angles and lighting of the original Enterprise shots instead of making the camera, and the ship, swoop and dive like a spacecraft in modern visual effects. The remastered effects would have been at home on "Enterprise," but not on the original series.

That said, there were some interesting additions that actually were successful, such as the new archaeological dig establishing shots added to "The Man Trap," and the marvelously lifelike and active mattes of Starbase 11 created for "The Menagerie" and "Court Martial," as well as the improved yet faithful cityscape of Eminiar 7 from "A Taste of Armageddon."

I'm really glad that, unlike Star Wars, we can still view the original versions on BluRay, and are not forced to accept the remasters as the new (and only) standard.

The 7.1 DTS-MA audio mix created for the remastered episodes is pretty amazing, even the newly-recorded, and thoroughly bombastic, main title theme. Despite the fact it doesn't quite match the action when accompanying the original visual effects, it's still very impressive, and a lot of fun to listen to. Even the original mono tracks included on the disks sound close to pristine (with a few bits of damage they were never able--or willing--to repair). My only possible gripe is that they should have also included the 5.1 mix they created for the original DVD release as an option, in addition to the original mono audio (and the Spanish and French dubs), but alas, there is only so much room for options on each BluRay disk.

If you are a Star Trek fan who really feels most at home with the original series, this BluRay set will satisfy you for years to come, and since Star Trek just passed its 45th anniversary, what a fitting way to renew your acquaintance with this incredible, ground-breaking, well-written and well-produced TV sci-fi gem. It easily is the equal to the other two classic sci-fi shows of the 60s, The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits. Even at its price at this writing of $183, this is, frankly, an amazing bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome set, November 27, 2010
Star trek on blu ray.
First off i see that a lot of the reviews on this page are about the dvd remastered set and not the blu ray. I am a huge trek fan and was very excited when i hurd that it was om blu ray. lots of people are complaining about the remastered version. But on the blu ray set you get both the original and the remastered versions. not only this but they are both in full HD. so whats the point in complaining about the remastered when you dont have to watch it anyways.

This is a great set it has 20 discs total.
season 1: 7 discs
season 2: 7 discs
season 3: 6 discs
It has all 79 episodes in the original and remastered editions fully restored in HD.

Star Trek: The Complete Original Series DVD (Seasons 1-3)
$249.98 $60.00