1,263
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$107.93 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 15, 2008
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
When I first heard about the 40th anniversary remastered episodes, I was skeptical. Having seen the original Star Trek series on prime time TV in 1966, 67, & 68, and always liking it better than any of the other Star Trek series that came afterwards, I thought that it would be a huge mistake. I was wrong. These new effects are what Roddenbery would have done had he the budget and technology. They are not out of place; they very much have the feel and flavor of the live-action scenes and mesh perfectly. The live-action scenes themselves are now much sharper, colors more saturated, better contrast. Of course I have the complete series as it was originally broadcast- that is a must and I can't part with them. But the remastered episodes are just as essential. They are the original series episodes with the fine details that they have always deserved- even if it took 40 years to finally finish them. I can't imagine any of the original writers or directors having complaints about these remastered episodes- especially since they are in addition to, and not replacing- the series as it was first produced and broadcast.
5151 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Blu-ray
You can read my formal review at dvdivas.net

Depending on when you purchase this the individual sets MAY be a better deal (as of 12/09 they are about $24 less)

This is for the Blu-ray three season set. Many folks are rating this based on THE PRICE (that's not what the star sysem is for folks--it's for the overall quality of the sets)my rating is based on the quality of the sets, their packaging and the original episodes themselves NOT THE PRICE.

In a nutshell: The show looks terrific and you can toggle between the original visual effects and the new ones with ease most of the time. The writing for the first two seasons was top notch with the third very much a hit-or-miss affair. The show looks stellar with new digitally prepared "prints" that have been cleaned up, color corrected and had damage repaired.

Extras are virtually identical to the last DVD set which also had the new visuals but we also get 3 new "Trek" extras (for all three seasons) Billy Blackburn's behind-the-scenes footage. This color footage was shot on location but without sound which gives us a unique look behind the production of the show. Ideally CBS/Paramount would have incorporated these into a new featurette with narration by Blackburn, Nimoy, Shatner and others discussing production for the various episodes but they are nice to have here with Blackburn's memories of working on the show.

Included is the original unaired alternate pilot for "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which keeps the original visual effects intact as well as alterned music and the edit is slightly different compared to the aired version. "The Cage" is included with both the "restored" color version as well as the black and white version that has come with all the previous sets BUT it is NOT in HD (I suspect the source material may only be SD videotape) it does, however, feature Roddenberry's original introduction.

We also get two Comicon 2009 featurettes (one hosted by David Gerrold writer of "The Trouble with Tribbles" and "The Cloud Minders" and an award winning novelist)as new featurettes on the third season set.

There are no additional discs or special features if you buy this boxed set of three vs. the individual titles.

For those who want to know the case for the third season is slightly thinner than the first two.

Bottom Line: Compare the price of the three seasons to the individual seasons before buying because there isn't anything else of value included here beyond what are on the individual sets.

CBS/Paramount has added a couple of special features here unique to each set but not every single special feature on the previous boxed sets appear here either (although most do). Buy whichever one you can get for the least price since there's nothing "special" about this bundling at this time.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 24, 2008
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
OK, bear with me a bit here. I need to explain something.

I am a Star Trek fan of long standing, 35+ years at this point.

When I first heard that the original series was going to be re-released with all new effects, I was less than thrilled. Maybe this attitude is foreign to the younger people, but there is, for me, a certain charm in the original effects. While I acknowledge that the effects in the original Star Trek are sometimes not slick as you see in modern films, people need to realize and appreciate that they were working before the time of computer generated graphics -- and on a television budget. In short, the effects on the original series stand as an example of what dedicated, talented people could do when it all had to be done "the hard way". And it seemed disrespectful, at least, of that achievement to replace the hard work of those people. In fact, it seemed to me, at first, to really be just another way for more money to be milked out of both the fans and the series.

Then I started thinking. And reading. And considering. And, finally, I decided to take a peek for myself.

What I found is that the new effects are, as expected, as perfect as only a computer can make them. Perfect effects are, really, getting to be a ho-hum thing to me. I realize and recognize that it still takes talent and skill to create effects using a computer, but, honestly, when you can realize on the screen literally anything you want as easily as anything else... well, it just isn't the same. There just isn't that sense of "Wow, how did they DO that?" anymore.

But...

What I also found was that great and loving care was taken to preserve and actually enhance the original episodes through the use of this new technology.

Regardless of any debate on the merits of doing it or not, it's done -- and the results are superb.

The accompanying "bonus features" are also quite good.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 13, 2006
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Star Trek was a ground-breaking series, but a few of the episodes (especially early in Season 1 before the main characters come into their own) are pretty painful to watch. 4 stars overall for the 3 seasons, but many of the episodes are 5-star. No doubt you have seen the show on TV (edited to fit in more commercials), and other reviewers on Amazon have written excellent reviews for the single season editions so I won't go into details. I just want to summarize some information that may be helpful in deciding whether to buy this set now, or wait until later...

First, the set I received had several defective disks (1,6,7 in the first season). The program freezes, then eventually skips from seconds to minutes of the show. Amazon has a good exchange policy, and I'm hoping I get a good set this time, but I won't know until I go through all the disks and that will take a while. At least one other reviewer has also recently (fall 2006) received defective disks, so it is likely that there is a bad batch at Amazon at this time.

- UPDATE: I received the replacement set and have watched all the episodes. It has defects too, but I'm keeping this one as they are relatively short, and only affect two episodes of the three seasons.

Second, as many people have noted in the single-season reviews, this has to be the most impractical packaging yet devised by man. The outer plastic cases don't stand upright on their own. They come with what looks like a sales display stand, and will stand upright in these, but I notice the individual stands have been reinforced and weighted in the bottom by what looks like leftover building material. Inside each case is a stack of plastic trays held together by cellophane tape. This fits inside a thin paper sleeve which will no doubt tear soon, and the accompanying paper booklet does not fit in the sleeve. So you have to go though several levels to get to the disks, and the booklet falls out each time.

Third, as others have hinted, Paramount has been remastering all the episodes with new CGI for the ships, and for some other effects. It's the same ship, it just looks real now instead of like a model on a string. The sound is also being remastered (and in a few cases the music is being re-recorded). The picture is also being cleaned up. These episodes are currently airing on affiliate stations as they are completed (also edited to fit in more commercials). You can go to the Paramount website and navigate through their 'home video' page links/search/etc until you find the Star Trek pages. There you can download previews and information. I've seen a couple of these remastered episodes airing locally, and TOS has never looked so good. Be aware that as of this writing, Paramount has not committed to releasing the re-mastered series on DVD, but I have no doubt that they will as they have a history of getting as much money from Trek fans as possible.

- UPDATE: The revised episodes are being released in dual format (High Def DVD and Standard DVD) beginning with Season 1 in November of 2007 - Star Trek The Original Series - The Complete First Season (Combo HD DVD and Standard DVD) [HD DVD]. As of this writing, Amazon's price for the first season is nearly as high as this set of all three seasons. If you are patient, no doubt the price will eventually come down, as this is Paramount's pattern.

The bottom line...if you want the series with all the original effects (cloth backdrops, the same planet tinted different colors, reused ship clips, etc) go for this set. I doubt if it will get any less expensive than it is at the time of this review. But download some of the remastered previews from the Paramount site first, and if you can, watch the remastered episodes on TV before making up your mind. They aren't altering anything that significantly changes the show, and it looks stunning compared to this set. If you want the remastered 'improved' version though, you will have to wait until Paramount releases it (season by season, and eventually the full set), and expect to pay a lot more than this set, unless you are willing to wait a year or more after release. Finally, if you decide to order this set, check all the disks as soon as possible, as it appears there are defective sets being sold. Hope this helps in the decision...live long and prosper :-)
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 28, 2004
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I couldn't give Star Trek any less than 4 stars simply because it's Star Trek, a show that I've been watching since I was a baby, and has had an immense influence on my life. The Original Series is an important show, and finally being able to get it in an all-in-one package for a (fairly) reasonable price has taken too long. There was no way I as a rabid Star Trek fan wasn't going to beg for this for Xmas. I'm glad I have it in my collection.

But if I could give a separate rating to the quality of the transfer, I'd give it 2 stars. How ironic that a show that deals with humans using technology to achieve and explore has been released by humans witholding technology to maximize profit. Despite a new, cleaned up digital mix of the audio, the video portion of the DVD's still contains the little scratches and video noise that my original videotapes possessed when I bought them in the 80's. There have been too many old movies and TV shows digitally remastered and beautified for me to believe that they couldn't clean these episodes up and give us better picture quality. It's a crime that Paramount continues to milk the original Trek dynasty like this.

It's quite obvious that there will be yet another re-release of the series down the road, but I can't see waiting any longer. The Harry Mudds have won again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 20, 2013
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Pardon me if I disagree with some of you, but in regard to STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES, for me the difference between regular DVD and blu-ray high definition was not only big, it was critical.

I was eighteen when STAR TREK debuted in the fall of 1966, and I have seen every episode so many times I have lost count. The last time, a few years ago, STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES rewarded me with a tolerable though not especially uplifting experience on regular DVD. Grainy cinematography, antiquated special effects, antiquated computer technology, antiquated acting...everything was just too doggone OLD. Believing that I would never again want to watch the original series, I sold my set to a second-hand store. Even after the entire series had been released on blu-ray, I was not interested. Initially.

But with the recent blu-ray releases of the first season of ENTERPRISE and more blu-ray releases of NEXT GENERATION, I took a peek at some recent reviews for the original series. Looking only at the ones for the blu-ray releases, they were almost all commendatory. Some were well written, in polished prose and without ostentatious language. I respect that, and the reviewers conveyed truthfulness. But for the original series? That threadbare thing that only sentimentalists and fanatics deem praiseworthy? The reviews were hard to believe.

Nevertheless, they persuaded me to buy the complete original series in blu-ray.

Indeed! The laudatory reviews were justified. It was like watching the original series for the first time. Everything was so impressive I felt like giving my screen a hug. Enhanced sequences that show the ENTERPRISE orbiting alien worlds are cinematically state-of-the-art. And even though the sets are still made of papier-mache boulders and the computer technology is ancient, they become tolerable because the bright colors, sharp resolution, and digital sound elevate everything to a higher level of life. This creates deeper immersion, which incredibly enough seems even to have improved the acting.

At least for me, STAR TREK has been resurrected.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 21, 2006
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
I have been a fan of Star Trek since the original showing in the 60's and was eager to finally obtain the dvds. It is nice to have them, but it is disappointing that not only did Paramount not clean up the video but they used the edited versions for the dvds that were released back in the late 70's to fit in more commercials. None of the episodes are intact and all have scenes and dialogue missing. It is a shame that not only does Paramount fail to bother releasing the full versions, but they are hoping that we don't realize it when viewing them. While some argue they are uncut, the missing parts are indeed gone. For example, during the episode where the Enterprise is hijacked to Eden in the Neutral Zone, the discussion with McCoy about the leaders deformed and diseased ears is missing. While the cuts are not significant in length or may seem trivial to some, they do exist. The 35 mm film that Paramount used for the dvd's where those that were edited and provided for syndication after NBC dropped the program, not the original ones that they used.
3030 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 28, 2005
Format: DVD
Don't get me wrong - I love the old gen. Love, love the old Gen. The transfers? Great - didn't have a problem there. The packaging? Yeah, the inside sleeve was a little cheap but otherwise - smooth sailing. And the extras? Outstanding.

BUT.

Why, why are they making us shell out all the big time cabbage for this set? Compared to other season sets, you have to mortgage your house to buy this one. They don't even give you anything special for buying the whole set other than wrapping them all together in a little cardboard sleeve. And it's bad enough Paramount is making a major cash grab...I discovered the other day that there are other extras that they've included on European sets BUT not the North American one.

They include:

Kiss & Tell - Romance In The 23rd Century (8:19): William Shatner and story editor Dorothy Fontana talk about the multitude of women that Kirk managed to get 'involved' with during the course of the show. Also includes Nichelle Nichols talking about some suggestive scenes between Uhura and Scotty and Walter Koenig talks about the revealing costumes the actresses wore on the show.

Trekker Connections (3:42): A little game for the viewer to play with cast members like six degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Star Trek's Favourite Moments (17:09): Cast and crew members from the newer shows such as Michael Dorn (TNG), Ethan Philips (Voy), John Billingsley (Ent), Jeffrey Combs (DS9), Vaughn Armstrong (Ent), Robert O'Reilley (TNG) and Tim Russ (Voy) talk about their memories of the show.

Collectible Trek (14:26): Paramount archivist Penny Juday talks about the money that some people will pay for genuine Star Trek collectibles.

Considering the serious gouging, it wouldn't have killed them to stuff these on here. There's also trailers for The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine and Voyager DVD sets they didn't include but that's just as well since there's disclaimers to sell Trek DVD product all over the DVDs. I bought the set, they have my money and now they want more of it?

All in all, it is a tremendous set, considering the major cash you had to spend before buying all the episodes individually. It just would've been nice to see Paramount really roll back the price tag and roll out the red carpet for the Trek fans who've been lining their pockets all these years.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2005
Format: DVD
I got this set last December and slowly watched the episodes in order, after not having seen them for many, many years. If you're buying this set, it's obvious that you already love the original series, so I won't spend time debating which are the greatest episodes, but they're all here, with a decent amount of bonus features to boot, including a dedicated "Life After Trek" for each main cast member, interviews with the writers and producers, and text commentary from writers on selected episodes (typically the Okudas). The episodes are in air-date order, rather than production order; I don't know if this is a bone of contention with die-hard fans.

I give this DVD set 3 stars and not 5 because:

-I would have liked more bonus footage (gag reel? outtakes, deleted scenes? Shatner performing Rocket Man?)

-better film cleanup was needed for some of the episodes. Some are excellent, and the color looks great across the board, but you can see that the film is dirty/damaged in some places. There is one stock shot they use all the time which is really filthy (the Enterprise circling a planet).

-TOO EXPENSIVE!!! Paramount needs to find a way to make their trek stuff FAR CHEAPER!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2010
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
Star trek on blu ray.
First off i see that a lot of the reviews on this page are about the dvd remastered set and not the blu ray. I am a huge trek fan and was very excited when i hurd that it was om blu ray. lots of people are complaining about the remastered version. But on the blu ray set you get both the original and the remastered versions. not only this but they are both in full HD. so whats the point in complaining about the remastered when you dont have to watch it anyways.

This is a great set it has 20 discs total.
season 1: 7 discs
season 2: 7 discs
season 3: 6 discs
It has all 79 episodes in the original and remastered editions fully restored in HD.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...