4,634 Reviews
 (2,845)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See (from a huge Star Trek fan)
From my wife Sarah: I've been a fan of Star Trek since the first series. This movie was excellent.

Here's why:

- The story was engaging, exciting, and had plenty of edge of your seat moments.

Published 11 months ago by Stephen Ashley

1,516 of 1,713 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Special features are all split up between vendor exclusive
Published 7 months ago by K. Noonchester

1,516 of 1,713 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Special features are all split up between vendor exclusive, September 2, 2013
The official Blu-ray has seven mini-featurettes. If this seems like it is a half-assed release, it's because Paramount has divvied up all the other features, including the commentary tracks with the cast and director J.J. Abrams, and several additional featurettes. The list of missing content on the U.S. wide-release Blu-ray (which is what is being sold on Amazon) includes 5 more featurettes (The Journey Continues... Again, Rebuilding the Enterprise, Full of Wrath, Kirk & Spock and Visual Preferences), plus the commentary with J.J. Abrams and the crew and a theatrical trailer. The featurettes and trailer are likely what's on the Bonus Discs at Target and Best Buy and the CinemaNow downloads (Best Buy U.S. appears to have its content via CinemaNow download while the same content is on a Bonus Disc in Canada), and the commentary is obviously with iTunes. All this means, if you buy the "normal version" here on Amazon, you're getting less than half the special features created for the home video release, and if you want all of them you're going to need to purchase at least three separate versions. Shame on you, Paramount. I loved the movie when I saw it, but this review is specifically about this product and its release practices.

1,137 of 1,333 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Paramount is ripping YOU off!, September 1, 2013
This review is from: Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD) (Blu-ray)
I know you want to. I want to. BUT DON'T DO IT!
Don't buy this blu-ray. Paramount marketing thought it would be a good idea to make retailers feel special (not amazon though) and split up all the special features, created by the filmmakers, for the fans. So no commentary (even though it exists). And only a small portion of special features.

What does this mean? If you want all the special features created for this release, you have to buy 3 different versions of the blu-ray plus the itunes version (for the director's commentary).

This is not a good practice to support. Don't let these idiots take advantage of you. While it sucks to not be able to own this sci-fi gem, look at the release calendar for paramount following this. Expect similar practices for World War Z.

The best way to show these jerks they're wrong is to not buy this movie.

Live long and prosper

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See (from a huge Star Trek fan), May 18, 2013
This review is from: Star Trek Into Darkness (DVD)

Here's why:

- The way it wove the new story together using prior movie and TV themes to build on was kind of genius. Those who know Star Trek will enjoy that.

- It had humor with a few good laughs and chuckles, but it also brought tears to my eyes.

- I loved the way they developed the relationships between the main characters, especially between Spock and Kirk. I very much disagree with the poster who said there wasn't enough character development. I felt it was quite the opposite.

- There were surprises. Especially one big one, which I won't reveal. I enjoyed that this movie wasn't predictable.

- The casting was spot on. It's so believable that these are the young versions of Spock, Kirk, etc.

- The acting was superb.

What else can you want!

I saw it at an IMAX 3-D theater, and I'd highly recommend that. The 3-D was phenomenal on this huge screen. There were moments when I could imagine I was in space.

I think that Star Trek fans, as well as those who are new to Star Trek, will enjoy the movie. You really don't have to know Star Trek history to enjoy this movie, but if you are familiar, you'll get a lot more out of it.

So Star Trek fans shouldn't miss this new addition. I also recommend this movie to all scifi and action fans. I'll be purchasing this movie when it becomes available, and I'm sure I'll watch it many times.

849 of 1,114 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT !!!!, May 19, 2013
OK folks first of all, this is a movie. J.J. is not trying to re-invent the wheel here. What J.J. Abrams has accomplished here is to re-imagine a burned out brand and series (that I loved as much as any true fan) and had the guts to go where no director has gone before with it. He shows his total respect for the best of the previously done films, his respect for the fans of the original films, and bravely creates a marvelous environment for the future of this series. I cannot tell you the last time I have sit in a darkened movie theater (full of fans and first timers) and had so much fun listening to the audience ooh and aah at what they were seeing and hearing from the screen. I along with them laughed, oohed, aah-ed, and even shed a tear, as this movie unfolded, and cannot remember the last time I felt so satisfied in seeing a film.

To all of the families with teens and tweens out there, Yes! this is the whole family movie experience you've been waiting for (and to be fair, there are some really intense scenes, and a four letter word uttered, but you just know the character would really say it in the heat of the moment) !!! It Is Fun! The cast is pitch perfect, the look, sound, and feel of "Into Darkness" is a joy to behold, and a loving homage to all of us who loved the original characters and films, and to those of us who just love good old fashion science fiction. It is a first class roller coaster ride and a true challenge to film makers to up the ante for audiences, if you want us to continue to shell out the movie bucks. By the way, this is a repeater for me as I will go back to see it again.

To J.J. Abrams and your entire crew, Thank You! for being so fearless, so brave to tweak and tamper with a sci-fi original, and re-remind me why I like to go to the movies. I think that Gene Roddenberry would be so proud of your take on his universe.

To the entire cast, Thank You! for being true to the original actors and characters, for giving them your spin, and making the roles your own. I have not had this much fun in a movie theater in a long, long, time, and in a galaxy far, far, away. BRAVO !!!

And to those of you that are leaving such horrid and negative comments to my review, WAKE UP!! These are MOVIES that we are talking about. I now understand why some actors comment at some point in their careers, about some fans needing to get a life. Movies are not real life changing events. They are meant for ALL of us to ENJOY (or not)for the two or three hours we sit in that theater, and maybe learn a little something (or not). Movies allow us to escape our sometimes droll and stressful lives for just a moment, to fantasize, to dream for a moment, to forget how different our lives have become. If you don't like or feel the same way about a movie as I do, I understand. But understand this, I don't try to keep people from seeing, renting, or buying a film because I don't like it, nor do I spend my time trying to drag someone else down because their opinion is different from mine.

I saw this film and I had Fun!! It took me back to the early days of Bart Sloane (The 4D Man - The Blob), Ray Harryhausen (Jason and the Argonauts), and Stanley Kubrick (2001: A Space Odyssey) when special effects were in their infancy. I felt the same way when I saw my first Steven Spielberg film (Jaws), my first Ridley Scott movie (Alien), George Lucas (Star Wars), and now J.J. Abrams. These are but a minute few of the hundreds of great filmmakers (I could go on forever)that have gone the extra mile to entertain us, to give us a break from the real world that is so full of Intolerance, Hate, Fear, Hunger, Struggle, and Disease. Give them a break guy's, they are just making movies for us to enjoy (or not).

Remember, the world will still turn tomorrow, that is unless God decides that he has had enough of us, and the way we treat each other, and decides to just shake us off of this little blue planet that some of us do not appreciate or respect at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cancelled My Order, August 30, 2013
I am disappointed to say that I have just cancelled my order for this item. I really wanted this special edition, however I have just learned that this release will not contain all the extras that were prepared. For some reason, Paramount decided to split the special features up and give some to other retailers. In order to get them all, you need to buy 3 different sets of the Blu-ray. In the end you'll have 3 copies of the Blu-ray and only then will you have the special features. I have no problem with retail incentives. That's why we have the phaser, or in the case of other retailers, models of the ships, etc. The extra features, however, should be on all the DVDs. The 'video' themselves should not be the extra features. Nothing against Amazon - it's a great company, but i think with their buying power, they should have had all the features made put on the discs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother..., November 26, 2013
Snarkers (Lovecraft Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray)
Caveat Emptor. I only chose to buy this version of the film because of the way that Paramount split up the extras. This one had "Best Buy" exclusive content. After jumping through a couple of hoops to get Best Buy's movie player, the movie won't play and I get the messages "the license cannot be found" and "try again later". What did happen is that I started to get phishing email after I downloaded their player. So I'm going to cut my losses, delete the Best Buy movie player, and get stuck with another basic version of the movie. I hope that Paramount releases a version with FULL extras. Now, right or wrong I feel that they owe me for the price of two movies. I am totally displeased.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply awful., September 18, 2013
Tory (United States) - See all my reviews
JJ Abrams, (who has admitted to not being a Star Trek fan), has completely butchered everything about the Star Trek universe that made it great. He turned it into another action adventure movie completely devoid of the soul that made Star Trek such a beloved franchise. And this particular movie was made worse by the complete lack of originality in recycling past Star Trek movie themes and characters such as Kahn and the death and rebirth of one of the main characters in the warp core. I imagine he thought it would be cute to reuse those iconic characters/themes, but it sort of smacked of desperation. This version of Kahn has none of the mystery and depth of the original. The death scene in the warp core definitely brought an emotional element. Unfortunately, the emotion was embarrassment.

His utter contempt for the character driven formula that made me love the show and the movies since I was a kid, is obvious. He didn't like Star Trek, so he remade it into something action movie fans can cheer at when something goes boom.

My biggest concern is that he has irreparably damaged the franchise. I will not watch another JJ Abram's Star Trek farce. Please give this back to someone that understands what it was that made Star Trek great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really Corny, September 18, 2013
RN (San Diego) - See all my reviews
Awful script, simple high-school type characters - the nerd, the jock, corny dialogue, terrible acting. A made-for-tv type film that has been done again, and again. The target audience is adolescent boys age 12-15. If you are the target you might like it. Grown-ups should avoid this waste of time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darker And More Challenging: The Star Trek Universe Expands With Another Great Origins Story, August 1, 2013
The Star Trek franchise is still going strong and shows no visible signs of relenting. I am constantly critical of the lack of new ideas prevalent in the Hollywood movie making machine. Studios keep cranking out sequels, remakes, and reimaginings of anything with a familiar name. And for the most part, these movies are more about a brand than artfulness. Let's not offend anyone, let's not challenge anyone, let's give them exactly what they expect. It all gets so tedious. There is no surprise and oftentimes no fun. Truthfully, I'm not a huge fan of Star Trek. I never faithfully watched any of the TV programs and, although I've seen them all, I only really liked about half of the movies. When I heard that J.J. Abrams was planning yet another reboot, it didn't really get my juices flowing. But his "Star Trek" prequel from 2009 was a very pleasant surprise. It had adventure, it had comedy, and it skillfully played with the beloved characters as it was bringing them together for the first time. It struck such a perfect balance, it was a blockbuster that you didn't have to be ashamed of because it was actually good! Because of this, I went into "Star Trek Into Darkness" with considerably higher expectations. Abrams has scored again. Although with a darker tone, the end product doesn't always feel like the Star Trek you've come to know and love.

"Star Trek Into Darkness" picks up in the aftermath of events from the first movie. In this way, it is still a prequel to the events of the original television program. The cast has been separated and it will take a truly devastating act to bring them back together again. That is easily and vividly enacted by an enigmatic villain played by Benedict Cumberbatch. Cumberbatch, seemingly with superhuman strength and a secret agenda, seems to be targeting Starfleet Command with acts of terrorism. One such act strikes very close to Kirk (Chris Pine) which sets up the primary plot of tracking down and destroying this madman. The mission is personal, so Kirk uses his influence to reassemble the old bunch. With Spock (Zachary Quinto), Uhuru (Zoe Saldana), Scotty (Simon Pegg), Sulu (John Cho), McCoy (Karl Urban), and Checkov (Anton Yelchin) on hand, it's business as usual. Also along fro the ride is Alice Eve as Dr. Carol Marcus. At first her presence is questioned, but she soon becomes a vital part of the adventure. As the team get closer to Cumberbatch, the movie morphs into a morality play of sorts. What if a villain is justified? As the truth of Cumberbatch's identity comes into focus, his attacks might just seem warranted.

But I'm not going to spoil anything. I really enjoyed how that film played with classic Star Trek lore and presented it in new and exciting ways. You don't realize until midway through just how clever and intricate the screenplay is and that is, perhaps, the greatest success of this iteration of Star Trek. As I mentioned, the tone of the movie is noticeably darker than some of the other genre entries. It deals with complex issues and ethical debates. But the action is also unrelenting. There are still the requisite laughs, but this plays much more seriously. What's at stake here seems very real. I know that not everyone loved this interpretation, but I appreciated the ambition and willingness to take things to a whole new level. Adding to the dramatic heft are great supporting turns by Bruce Greenwood (Pike) and Peter Weller (Marcus) who push the emotional resonance of the piece.

Much of the early part of "Star Trek Into Darkness," once again, details the evolving relationship between Kirk and Spock. Pine and Quinto are perfect foils and are generally my favorite part of this new series. The other characters each get a moment to shine, but this pairing makes up the heart of "Star Trek Into Darkness." I could also go on, at length (as if this isn't lengthy enough), about the technical merits of the film. Great effects, music, cinematography, visual design all really set this apart. At the end of the day, though, the thing that really distinguishes this film (in my estimation) is Cumberbatch. Acting with almost Shakespearean gravity, he is absolutely mesmerizing. I want to talk about his character, but I will refrain as it might present unnecessary spoilers. Let's just say he is memorable and very significant to the Star Trek world. In the end, Abrams scores with a entertaining blockbuster that also has something on its mind. Smarter than you might expect, this is a blockbuster to remember. About 4 1/2 stars. KGHarris, 8/13.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Movie of 2013?, May 19, 2013
4 years, almost to the date, any concerns fans had over Paramount Studio's decision to reboot the initial Star Trek `Enterprise & Crew' were, within the first 30 minutes dispelled, and a new generation and legions of new fans embraced the concept of `new faces' to the `old characters'.

All associated with this project are due credit for successfully rebooting and breathing new life into a tired franchise. The real credit resides with Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci who's homage to the initial Star Trek, highlighted by the presence of Lenoard Memoy, complete with a clever alternate time line and universe, allowed J.J. Abrams' the opportunity to mine the history of the Star Trek universe, and unfettered by the history and short comings of the previous movies, allowed the same characters to be developed in a different arc.

With the same crew in-front of and behind the camera from the first outing, Star Trek into Darkness with a longer running time, affords greater character development and screen time to each member of the Enterprise. In the process each actor elevates the status and depth of their characters and in the process finally lay to rest, the ghost of, and, any comparisons to the initial cast and crew.

The show here belongs to, and is focused on the central relationship between Chris Pine's Kirk and Zachary Quinto's Spock, their emerging friendship, and the impact and cost this relationship will have on each character and each other.

Credit once again must go to Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof who's story and script anchors this film with the characters and their relationship, and do not allow the spectacular, non-stop action, and dynamic set pieces to overshadow the real story, which is one of relationships, and the cost and price friendship can demand. This is no simple achievement, but is the basis on which this film will be categorised as either good, great, or, brilliant.

J.J. Abrams continuing foray into this genre, is nothing short of spectacular! His ability to not only maintain, but improve on his re-booting of Star Trek is a phenomenal achievement, and testament to his skill as a visionary story teller and action director, which are the real reasons that Disney and George Lucas went out of their way to secure his Directorial Services for the forthcoming Star Wars IIV.

The barometer for Star Trek into Darkness should not be measured against Star Trek, but against the recently released Iron Man 3 which appears to be the movie that all 2013 releases will be gauged. In this face-off, Star Trek into Darkness casts the longer shadow, and on all aspects of movie making, can be counted as the best movie thus far in 2013.

Prior to concluding, particular mention must go to the `Supporting Cast', especially Bruce Greenwood, in a limited but career best performance, ably supported by Peter Weller However, the real star of Star Trek is Benedict Cumberbatch, who's screen presence is 3D even in 2D. Every frame, each perfectly enunciated syllable and facial nuance is one of pure intensity, malevolence and distain that would send a shiver down the spine of Hannibal Lecter (even on a second viewing). This follows on from his excellent and measured performance in Cloud Atlas, his spectacular ownership of Sherlock Holmes, and the as yet unknown performance in The Hobbit Trilogy!

In conclusion, STAR TREK into DARKNESS is a spectacular movie, a rare achievement, matched only by the calibre of talent in front of, and behind the lens, and is an indictment of a director with a limited number of peers. This is a movie that can be deemed a companion and equal to movies such as The Dark Knight Rises, Blade Runner, The Lives of Others, Alien, Shawshank Redemption.

9.5 out of 10

ARRAY(0x93204528)

Star Trek Into Darkness (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital HD)
$39.99 $17.75