Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Director's Cut (Special Collector's Edition)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Disc 1:
- The newly restored, director's edition of the feature film
- Text commentary by Michael Okuda, co-author of the Star Trek Encyclopedia
- Disc 2:
- 3 retrospective documentaries with cast and crew interviews
- 3 trailers
- 8 television commercials
- 11 deleted scenes
- 5 additional scenes
- Storyboard archives
- New Star Trek series Enterprise promo spot
Top Customer Reviews
Of course, the main feature of this DVD is the fact that Robert Wise got to go back and take his time re-doing the effects scenes that he had to rush through in 1979, and then insert them seamlessly into the scenes shot 20 years ago, and make it all fit. Overall, it works extremely well. Some of my favorite improvements:
(1) The star field effects over the overture theme and opening credits - Sure, the moving star field over SF movies has been done many times since, but Star Trek invented it. The opening wasn't complete without it. The credits themselves have also been re-worked. The opening credits were one place where the post-production rush in 1979 really showed. It was a nice touch to clean this up.Read more ›
Paramount should be ashamed of themselves. This edit should be in theaters. This isn't a minor achievement in quality increase. This is now a great film. I am literally stunned right now.
It isn't a matter of effects, so much as it is about dynamics of motion... The tightening of scenes.... Little tweaks here and there.... An added scene here, a missing one here... Revealing more about the characters, keeping a character from being less than he should be.
First off, the Visual Effects shots are absolutely superior, while remaining exactly of the same palette as the original film. These new shots add a consistent sense of grandeur that Wise achieved so very well in some scenes, yet not at all in others. Now... Now the film is a sweeping science fiction epic... Man facing the unknown that comes from that place where no man has gone before.
The picture quality was gorgeous... the richness of the colors... Everything just gorgeous. The new sound... DEAR GOD, it was magnificent. The remix was handled to perfection and not bungled like those that were toying with SUPERMAN recently. From beginning to end there is a quality increase in the sound that never once falters to my ears on this great sound system of mine.
I'd like to tell you about the new visual effects shots, but to be honest... I can't. They are that seamlessly integrated.Read more ›
It says something for Wise's ability to work under pressure (he edited Citizen Kane, after all) that, despite mixed reviews, no major critics were able to deduce that they were viewing an unfinished film. It's also a testament to everyone involved in the project that Star Trek The Motion Picture received Academy Award nominations for Visual Effects and Musical Scoring. Nevertheless, I remember seeing the film as a 12 year old, and hearing my father complain "This film is so slow moving." And for 22 years, that has been the general consensus - ambitious plotting, great score, mostly good visual effects, poor pacing, little chemistry between the characters.
For this DVD issue, Paramount has allowed Robert Wise to do what he wanted to do all along: finish his filme. Nearly every scene has been reedited - either radically or merely fine tuned - to bring more drama, better pacing, and more emphasis on the characters. Some of the clunkier bits of dialogue have been excised, along with some unnecessary technobabble.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought this for a friend. We watched it together via dvd sync up and head sets pluffed into our phones. Very good quality on the dvd.Published 13 days ago by Herb Salisbury
I don't notice much of a difference here between the original release and this new director's version except for a few ommitted scenes with some of the actors and roughly two... Read morePublished 18 days ago by The Sifting Sands
The film was slow, but a good movie nonetheless. There was a lack of action and intensity, but the film itself was interesting, and the special effects were nice.Published 20 days ago by roy rogers
While it's obviously a reboot to fit modern social ideas and norms, it's a good one.Published 20 days ago by Robert Doyle
I personally believe this longer "ABC-TV" version is superior to the theatrical release.
However, anyone who enjoys a more action oriented science fiction film may... Read more
The HD bluray and digital download edition has not done this film many favors. As others have mentioned, this is not the Director's Cut, which did a lot to improve the pace of the... Read morePublished 29 days ago by Will Velharticky
|Topic||From this Discussion|
The word is that the new CGI effects were only rendered at 480p for DVD quality, so they either must re-render them or redo them. I hope that they do as the Director's Cut is the best version of the film.
Dec 6, 2009 by Jeffrey Rickel | See all 2 posts
|Horrid picture quality for DVD?||
I agree, the picture quality is quite poor, especially in comparison to the HD version of the original movie available for streaming from Amazon
Jun 15, 2014 by mike | See all 2 posts
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Two-Disc Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Anime & Manga
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Kids & Family
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > Paramount Home Entertainment > Classics
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Aliens
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Star Trek