Star Trek: Strange New Worlds X
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$20.69 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 10, 2007
First of all, this review is JUST MY OPINION. Yours will no doubt be different, I am sure.

Another great book of STAR TREK stories written by the fans. My only complaint is, thus far, in all of the TREK stories in this particular series, NOT ONE has featured a live Tasha Yar or has been placed in TNG's Season 01. Not only that, but I think that MAYBE there has been just one story to take place during VGR's first three seasons (before 07 of 09 came onto the show). Surely there must be stories that fit this criteria that have been written by the fans.

Anyway, on to my review(s).

(In order of appearance with a #3, #6, or #9 rating - #9 being the highest)

TOS

"The Smell of Dead Roses": #9. Awesome! Not only is the story engrossing, but the author uses the much-ignored Saavik in very believable ways. This story is so believable and well-written that one has to wonder if the author didn't perhaps use an incident(s) from their own past with their parents and applied it to Perrin's.

"The Doomsday Gambit": #9. Wonderful! Q and Kirk (I always knew that Q interacted with Humanity before Picard)!

"Empty": #3. I hate to say this, but at the point in time that this story was written (unless my calculations are WAY off, though they are not because Season 01 of TOS is their first year of their 5-year mission. Season 02 is their second, etc.) Kirk refers to the ENTERPRISE incident with Janet Lester as being at the end of their 5-year mission. The timeline is wrong. The incident with Janet Lester would have been at the end of their third year of duty, not their fifth. Besides, I really don't think that Kirk would have been as upset with the Lester incident as he seems to be in this story. Concerned, yes, but he would not throw his career away or make rash judgments because of it.

TNG

"Wired": #6. A good story, but wrapped up a little too neatly and quickly.

"A Dish Served Cold": #9. Awesome! The Borg being reduced to assimilating a Pakled!

"The Very Model": #3. Sorry, but Data is dead, no matter how much anyone wants him alive. Besides, the story is wrapped up WAY too conveniently.

DS9

"So a Horse Walks Into a Bar": #6. Nice story and fills in some bits in the VGR episode "Lifeline" too.

"Signal to Noise": #6. An OK story, but a little pointless.

VGR

"The Fate of Captain Ransom: #6. Good story (and the aliens that Ranson made contact with before his death are very interesting).

"A Taste of Spam": #9. GREAT and very funny! I can totally picture Janeway being furious at what is happening and Paris making jokes (the BEST scene is what the Doctor says to Paris when paris walks into sickbay!)! Besides, any of us that use a computer regularly knows what they are going through!

"Adjustments": #6. An OK story, though I have never been a fan of the Wildmans.

"The Day the Borg Came": #6. Good.

ENT

"The Dream": #6. A good companion to the episode "Similitude."

"Universal Chord: #6. A good story, though it rather is odd.

"You Are Not in Space": #6. A good story, but a little predictable in it's ending (Hoshi saving the day).

SPECULATIONS

"Time Line": #6. An OK story, but WAY too similar to the Greg Cox's novels "To Reign in Hell" - though I am curious as to who tried to prevent (from the future) Khan and the other genetically manipulated children from surviving.

"Echoes: #9. Very original! I really liked it. Janeway destroying the Borg at the end of VGR's episode is WAY TOO simple! The Borg are still a menace even two or so centuries after VGR.

"Brigadoon": #6. A good story, but the idea of a planet disappearing and reappearing like Gaemes' is doing is too much like the DS9 episode "Meridian."

"Reborn": #3. I am not sure what the point of this story is. It seems like it is just a story in which to have Picard, Sisko, and Janeway together.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 26, 2013
If you're looking for continuation that follows true to the original, but has a little different direction and perspective from our "regular writers", this is it. They've given the fans a chance to write their own short stories and some (most) are REALLY good...and fit in with the Star Trek books we love. I can't imagine ever letting the stories fade, and these books give a fresh perspective, yet keep us with the characters we've watched and loved over the years. Like a fresh twist of lemon!
on August 2, 2008
Star Trek Strange New Worlds 10 is like awating for the next tv episode.the stories are well written and also are the best chosen in a contest written by fans and up to becomming new authors them selves. I have all of the books in this series(1-10) This is the last book in the series. So if you have not read any of these, I reccomend that you read all of them. They are packed full of wonderful stories based on all the tv shows.
on October 6, 2014
This was one of the last collections of Star Trek short stories published in the Strange New World series. The editor, Dead Wesley Smith, always assured great quality in the collections, which were written by fledgling writers who had no more than three professional sales. It was a geat place for new writers to learn the ropes, and it's sad that the series was discontinued. This one has the customary excellent selection. My personal favorite is "Brigadoon," which encompasses all of the different Star Trek series into one story. Normally, the anthologies were divided into sections, each one dealing with a differnet ST series. As I said, many good writers got their start in this outstanding series.
on March 30, 2015
I'm sorry to disagree with the other reviewers but I found these short story lines to be very amateurish and not what one would expect from the characters that they depict. After reading six stories, I threw away the book. Save yourself the money.
on January 15, 2014
Great book,couldn't put it down. Recommend it to everyone who is a startrek fan. Fantastic reading from start to finish.
on February 16, 2015
Too bad this is the last of the series of books. Star Trek fan fiction is imaginative, original, and fun to read.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Strange New Worlds anthologies rarely disappoint and this is no exception. The stories are well chosen, well written and sure to delight the fans of all the Star trek incarnations! Enjoy!