Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

7,109 of 7,246 people found the following review helpful
on December 31, 2010
This is just an alert since there seems to be some confusion about a trilogy release with the original unaltered versions along with the special editions vs a trilogy set that only contains the special editions and no copies of the original unaltered versions.

The reviews for both sets are merged together... that is why you are seeing people claim that it has the original unaltered versions, and people complaining they do not. THIS set that I specifically clicked on to make this comment on is on the 2004 release which DOES NOT CONTAIN THE ORIGINAL UNALTERED VERSIONS. The box image is silver and has Darth Vader's mask on the box. This set ONLY contains the SE along with a 4th bonus disc of making of features and trailers and a sneak peak at episode III. If you want the trilogy set that contains both the SE and the unaltered versions but no bonus features, make sure when purchasing from Amazon, that the picture is a picture of Darth Vader and Luke clashing with light sabers and the box has a lot of blue coloring. It also says IV V VI along the bottom. Scroll down to DVD info and it should say release date: 2008. THAT is the version you are looking for.

If you place an order on the Trilogy with the Silver box with Darth Vaders mask on it, you are going to get the 2004 release of the trilogy and that's probably not the one you want... This review is going to appear on both sets though... So make sure before you buy, that you are on the correct trilogy page. Check the picture. Check the release date.

There are plenty of reviews of the actual product so I'm not going to go into that. Just wanted to clear up some confusion.
128128 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
3,473 of 3,751 people found the following review helpful
on June 1, 2010
It's real simple, George. The vast majority of people who will buy the Blu-Ray versions are middle-aged nostalgia hounds. These people will NOT pony up more of their hard-earned dough for CGI "enhancements." They WILL, however, whip out their credit cards for the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL RELEASES faster than Han Solo's draw-down on Greedo.

Find your best exant print each film of the original trilogy. Have the ILM lab boys scan in every frame @ 4k. Do the LEAST amount of color correction and dust/scratch removal--only in a restoration sense, not "improving color" or anything like that. Approach it like archivists.

Use your technical advancements to do the finest BR encoding of those individual frames. I want to see film grain, dude. Matte lines. Pancake makeup. Absolutely naked and unvarnished. The final result should be a monument to the format, really.

Do the same with the audio.

If your ego won't let you "let go" of your CGI meddling, then make every feature a two-BR set--your best "improved" version + the original theatrical release. You can charge more that way, have your final vision, and still satisfy the fans who want the '77, '80. and '83 prints. And line your pockets with more filthy lucre as you sell the same product to us for the umteenth time.

Call it a "Special Edition Archivist Series" or something like that.
248248 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
2,561 of 2,867 people found the following review helpful
on November 16, 2008
Memo to George Lucas: I am not buying any more of your movies until you give us the REMASTERED films as they were ORIGINALLY. Han shoots first. Hayden Christiansen's ghost does not appear at the end of ROTJ. The original nub nub Ewok music is put back into the film, and the original Jabba's Palace band music is restored, etc. etc. Get the picture? You can do it, George. And don't tell us that the original negatives for these films no longer exist, because I don't believe you. If you think you are going to keep me buying and rebuying and rebuying the same product over and over and over again, then think again, because I'm not coming along for the ride.

I repeat: As soon as you release the original 1977, 1980, and 1983 versions of the films AS THEY WERE ORIGINALLY - and they MUST be remastered - not grainy laserdisc transfers. Then, and ONLY then, can you have any more of my money.

Just give the fans what they want. Is that too much to ask?
8181 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2004
The packaging falsely states that these are "the classic films". The films being sold in this trilogy are updated versions of the "Special Editions" that were released in 1997, NOT the original theatrical classics as the packaging states. Very deceiving and shameful marketing!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,905 of 2,148 people found the following review helpful
on September 10, 2004
I am a huge fan of Star Wars. YEs, I am an 'Original Fan". And why is being an 'Original' fan percieved so negatively? If you are an original Beatles fan, the newer fans ask you with reverence what it was like seeing them in concert, etc. etc. (No, I am not fortunate enough to be an 'original' Beatles fan. I wasn't even born in 1964.) Original Star Wars fans are called oldtimers and accused of not letting go of the past and not appreciating that times change.

Mr. Rehnquist wrote in his review "I ask, who would want to see old, outdated movies in this age of advanced technology? " Well, I hope the answer is "Many People". My love of movies is not based on the level of special effects. Should we no longer watch the great old black and white films of the past because they are 'old and outdated'? No more Bogie and Bacall? No more Hepburn and Tracy? What about Gene Kelly? Jimmy Stewart?

The thing Mr. Lucas is forgetting is that more is not always better- in an interview when the movies first came out, he was quoted as saying that the problem with the Sci-Fi genre in general was that so many moviemakers forgot about the story. The movies ended up being built around the special effects.

Unfortunately, Mr. Lucas is adding all of these scenes and filming the newer movies (Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones) with nothing but the possibilities of these special effects in mind. He has lost the story; it had become secondary to the special effects.

I had no problem with the celebratory scenes added at the end of "Return of the Jedi" but I do have a problem with some of the other scenes. Han shot Greedo. Greedo did not shoot first. It is ridiculous to change this. Han's change of heart and redemption are more powerful when you know he was a mercenary! He was always looking out for himself. That's how he survived! He was in it for the money, and found himself inexplicably drawn to the people of the Rebellion. That's good story-telling.

The problem is that Mr. Lucas has taken the liberty of CHANGING much of the story with these scenes.

Mos Eisley was supposed to be a dusty, deserted town. Tatooine is on the outer rim of the galazy. It's an unimportant, dusty, underpopulated planet. What I saw in the "Special Editions" was a thriving, well-populated town.

I would happily buy the special edition versions if I knew Lucas intended on eventually releasing the original versions on DVD as well. I'd buy both.

We're not trying to erase the movies you love. If you like the "Special Editions" Great! I am glad. I would never tell any of you to shut up or that your opinions were stupid and your views outdated as we have been told by Mr. Rehnquist.

We original fans aren't telling you new fans that the version we grew up with should be the only one out there. Please have the courtesy of relizing we are only asking for the opportunity to buy these movies the way we fell in love with them.
7777 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2004
The rumors are true about this DVD set being a "Special Special Edition". More changes have been made to the original Star Wars trilogy since 1997. Recently, many images, sounds, and even a full-length copy of Return of the Jedi have been floating around on the internet, all of which confirm the changes.

Like it or not, here are some of the major alterations:

A New Hope
1. Greedo still shoots first, but it is slightly improved.
2. Jabba the Hutt is still in the film, but has been completely redone.
3. The lightsabers have been enhanced; they are no longer white rods in certain scenes.

The Empire Strikes Back
1. Actor Ian McDiarmid now appears as The Emperor via hologram, with new dialogue and different music.
2. Actor Temuera Morrison now provides the voice of Boba Fett.

Return of the Jedi
1. Naboo has been added to the end celebration montage.
2. Actor Hayden Christensen appears as the ghost of Anakin Skywalker at the end of the film.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 22, 2006
These are not the original movies; they are modified versions of the original films that have been tinkered with over the years in various ways. I sold my copies cheap at a garage sale recently, because I could no longer stand to watch them. If the original movies were released on DVD, I would probably buy them. I loved those old movies without the added musical numbers, CGI characters, extra sound effects, etc., etc., etc. This version was a disappointment because all of that new stuff is so distracting that it takes away from the gentle spirit and lovable goodwill of the original theatrical releases.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2004
If George Lucas feels these classics need 'adjustments', that's his decision to make. Do whatever you want with them, Mr. Lucas. Just make sure that the millions of people who MADE YOU RICH, and loved the movies just the way they originally were, are able to choose which versions to watch.

But that simply is not the case, and while I'll be the first person to admit - 'they're just movies' - I'm still upset and sad about these dvds. The original version of any movie should be respected and preserved. The ground-breaking work provided by hundreds of people who were part of the crew really deserves to be remembered, not replaced. Not just the crew, in fact, because now even original cast members have been jettisoned: the origninal Emperor from 'Empire' has been removed, Sebastian Shaw's final appearance at the end of 'Jedi' is gone, and the actor who spoke Boba Fett's lines has been excised. It's disgraceful.

I understand lots of people are just happy to have the Star Wars Trilogy on dvd in ANY form. Not me.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 14, 2011
"This is a vote for the original theatrical release." - if you are posting this, don't give it 5 stars. There are too many people saying that they vote for the originals but are going ahead and giving it 5 stars anyway.

The only way Lucas will ever release the theatrical versions is if product reviews are terrible and he is making no money. That is the ONLY way. It's obvious by now that he will not listen to impassioned pleas from fans. Do everyone a favor: 1 star & DO NOT BUY.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2004
"Yes, these changes mean that the Star Wars films are no longer the ones you saw 20 years ago, but these brief changes hardly affect the films, and they do make sense in the overall continuity of the two trilogies. It's not like a digitized Ewan McGregor has replaced Alec Guiness's scenes"

No, but he might as well have done.

I mean that too.

To alter what i consider to be the greatest film ever made (the trilogy) just so it "meshes" with the appaling excuses for films that the new star wars films are, is something so wrong it beggars belief.

Boba fett now has a South African accent (no disrespect to SA), haan solo blatantly speaks the same lines twice in the space of a few minutes just so we can see an obviously cgi jabba make a disgrace out of himself, and worst of the worst of the worst - they changed the ending. Unforgivable.

New boy haydn christensen (what were they thinking getting this softie in to play one of the most infamous movie villains of all time????) has replaced anakin's ghost, the music has been changed and new scenes have been added showing absolutely rubbish (for want of a ruder word) cgi cities celebrating (how would they know so quickly anyway?). It's an abomination that almost made me throw the boxed set in the bin - no joke. You don't change the ending of a film, not like this, it's appalling.

Stay well away, I hate saying that cos these are my favourite films, but they've been ruined by a past-it george lucas' "vision" of what star wars should look like. They shouldn't have let him near his own material to ruin it, they really shouldn't. The george lucas of yesteryear would be turning in his proverbial grave.

Please feel free to edit this paragraph out if it's unacceptable, but the one word that sums this boxed set up perfectly is this: bastardisation.

'nuff said.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...