From the Back Cover
"Star Ware is still a tour de force that any experienced amateur will find invaluable, and which hardware-minded beginners will thoroughly enjoy."
Robert Burnham, Sky & Telescope magazine
"Star Ware condenses between two covers what would normally take a telescope buyer many months to accumulate."
John Shibley, Astronomy magazine
Now more than ever, the backyard astronomer has a dazzling array of choices when it comes to telescope shoppingwhich can make choosing just the right sky-watching equipment a formidable challenge.
In this revised and updated edition of Star Ware, the essential guide to buying astronomical equipment, award-winning astronomy writer Philip Harrington does the work for you, analyzing and exploring todays astronomy market and offering point-by-point comparisons of everything you need. Whether youre an experienced amateur astronomer or just getting started, Star Ware, Third Edition will prepare you to explore the farthest reaches of space with:
- Extensive, expanded reviews of leading models and accessories, including dozens of new products, to help you buy smart
- A clear, step-by-step guide to all aspects of purchasing everything from telescopes and binoculars to filters, mounts, lenses, cameras, film, star charts, guides and references, and much more
- Eleven new do-it-yourself projects for making unique astronomical equipment at home
- Easy tips on maintenance, photography, and star-mapping to help you get the most out of your telescope
- Lists of where to find everything astronomical, including Internet sites and Web resources; distributors, dealers, and conventions; and corporate listings for products and services